Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Application sent, Jade! It's the return of Nittien Stomperud!

Here's to 60+ more kills! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Nice, here's hoping to see that legendary bad rear end again. I sent in the son of James Dean. Can the "Rebel"'s son blow up as many aliens as his pappy could with high explosives?

At least the nickname turned out to be way on the nose. Vive la resistance!

Blind Sally posted:

tbh, my application was Isobel Guitierrez

lookin' forward to MECing up and doing this again:

Ahaha, oh man, that was a thing. Too bad about there being no possibility of getting mec'd, but from the looks of it there will be other awesome things to come. Perhaps made by you, if your Chris Salid picture was anything to go by.

Man, it's like the old endgame crew is getting back together! Now we only need Isis "Saint" Tellar, Alex "Shellshock" Johnson and... oh.

Tony "Kill Steal" White. Rest in peace, buddy. :rip:

And for anyone who feels like spending some time catching up (or reminiscing) while we wait, here's a link to Jade's previous XCOM thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607006

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

I'm already in the pool from Jade's streaming habits.

He has done horrible things to my armor colors.

Hah! I've cleverly avoided this by sending him a .bin file of Nittien. I assume he'll be too lazy to actively mess with the colors.

I even included a background blurb as a nod to our non-canon past.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Private Botch posted:

Tony never died. The final mission never happened and we didn't even get to play with that sweet sweet plasma tech. All that was some fevered alcohol induced dream of how things could have been. He's still out there waiting for his chance for redemption.

Hey, he died in our hearts man, in an apocryphal story about what it would take to save all of mankind. That fanfic was the tale of ages for our weary resistance fighters. An alternate history project, to illustrate how things might've been if our govts hadn't just bent over backwards in the face of the alien oppressors! Stand up for yourself and you too can be a selfless psychic badass hero like Tony White probably would have been!

XCOM 2 playthrough-related:
I bought all of the DLCs yesterday, and I have this to say about how they're interacting with my current (early-to-mid-game) run: Oh poo poo. Oh holy poo poo. Oh god, why. You son of a bitch, Jake. You son of a bitch.

So here's to Jade running the same gauntlet! Incidentally, turns out you can kind of kite muton berserkers. Thus, a haiku and a picture:

Berserker rampage
Thank god for grenadiers
And friend gravity

There was something DLC-related there as well, but spoiler policy forbids me to speak of it. I'm just amazed I made it out. And that what remains of that roof is still standing.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zyxophoj posted:

We're going for realism here. The effectiveness of starting armour is accurately depicted by the half-naked outfits from Anarchy's Children, and the hugely popular "Twitchy" attitude is appropriate for a squad that is likely to chain-panic the moment somebody stubs their toe.

Not just that, but XCOM/the resistance is scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point and can't afford to be too picky. A lot of the soldiers' background blurb in-game make a point of mentioning this. So what if the only people willing to fight to the death for the cause want to dress up in biker leather and are using half the weapons budget on hair gel? That freaky Mad Max cosplayer might be all that stands between humanity and destruction!

Besides, it's urban camouflage. Not even the aliens take cosplayers seriously.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One more, in celebration.

Commander Jade Star.
Let's Play XCOM-in' it up.
This gon' be wicked.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Well remember at the end of Enemy Unknown the Ethereals point out they were running from something.

My bet is someone out there made an alien AI with poorly defined priorities or foolishly breached into dimensions where they found something that happily started breaching back. Maybe some combination of the two.

Y'know, the Insert Sci-Fi Threat Here usual.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Considering how they reflect my view of the original game's cast this seems like the time to share the extra haikus I sent to Jade Star along with my original soldier application.

Shen speaks much wisdom
The likable character
Is often least dumb

Power up strange tech
Doctor Vahlen is insane
Could have been a bomb

Bothersome Bradford
Best sweater that ever wore
A wooden actor

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

Hurslcarls

Nittien. :allears:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shogeton posted:

Well, as a bit of a 40K geek, I might go for 'Commissar' on Cain?

With his trusty sidekick JOR-GN drone. What it lacks in character it makes up for in usefulness!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, James Dean and Alexandra showed up! And Man "Hottie" Whore is the most amazing thing! This LP is already giving me such joy. I can't wait to see all that is to come. :allears:

I can just imagine how Man Whore's recruitment went down.

Avenger posted:

Bradford: "Alright team, I know we're hard up for competent soldiers, so I've arranged for an old drinking buddy of mine to be brought onboard. He's a hard man, in his own way."
Tygan: "Is... is the naked man with the face paint your drinking buddy? If so... intriguing."
Bradford: "Oh, goddammit, I told him not to... look, I had a rough time. I needed somewhere to lay low. And I was confused about my place in the world."
Lily: "Aaaand here's their application. 'Man Whore', Bradford? Really?"
Bradford: "You don't get to judge me, Lily!"

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
N-thing Angry "Red" Lobster. Suggesting Alessandra "Bloody" Margottini because that makes her name sound like a drink, and I can't unhear Chris "Can't Kiss" Gasmask.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godnnelg posted:

Yea that moment when you skulljack...

Come now, you're making this thread sound like some dark, dank recess of the internet.

... ah. Right. Carry on.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Materant posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/77346879

Mostly for clarification, but seriously go watch Jade's highlights, he's like a magnet for XCOM bugs bugs and glitches in every single game ever on every single computer ever.

FTFY

Siobhan "Stingbringer" MacKenzie, because she looks like a mutant bee, and Eph "Kahoreheuaua" Phatha, in honor of his New Zealander roots, and no other reason.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 14, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

Them's fighting words mate!

Aw crikey. :doh:

Y'know, it would really help if one of you two nations got off your asses and got a better more different flag so I wouldn't need to pay attention start watching this LP in fullscreen!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I was gonna say some kinda obscure venereal disease, myself

Well, he is French.

... but I do agree it's a really good name.To be fair, the Asterix books are full of good names, and lots and lots of puns that sadly do not always translate well.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How about Julian "Romhack" Shen?

Or maybe Julian "DisOWNED" Shen.

Or possibly Julian "Serfbot" Shen.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alien Rulers, at last. Best of luck dealing with their brand of :xcom:, Jade.

My experience with the Rulers has been mixed. For one, we got off to a rough start. It turns out that if you are in the middle of a playthrough when you download the DLC and you, unthinkingly, apply that DLC to your game without knowing what this entails, there is exactly zero Vahlen missions to coach you into the concept. Alien rulers just show up, out of nowhere, to wreck your day, on some mission and you have no idea what even oh god is this a joke why does it have so many hit points and wait did it just move again oh shi-. Needless to say, an Alien Ruler showing up right as another enemy pod has activated can be very, very bad and can lead to a quick and demoralizing loss depending on where you are in the game and what personnel you've brought with you.

On the other hand, if you somehow scramble successfully, it probably made your day interesting and your victory worthwhile. I cannot wholly disapprove of getting my teeth kicked in when it also leads to situations like the one below.

Scribbleykins posted:

XCOM 2 playthrough-related:
I bought all of the DLCs yesterday, and I have this to say about how they're interacting with my current (early-to-mid-game) run: Oh poo poo. Oh holy poo poo. Oh god, why. You son of a bitch, Jake. You son of a bitch.

So here's to Jade running the same gauntlet! Incidentally, turns out you can kind of kite muton berserkers. Thus, a haiku and a picture:

Berserker rampage
Thank god for grenadiers
And friend gravity

[unspoiler]There was something DLC-related an Alien Ruler there as well, but spoiler policy forbids me to speak of it. I'm just amazed I made it out. And that what remains of that roof is still standing.[/unspoiler]

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

James "Rebel Jr." Dean Jr. is best.

Lunethex posted:

no, Man "Feelgood" Whore

Yup, those.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A pox upon you, Jade Star. JAIDS 24/7. :argh:

Failing that, rename Ciaphas "Hero of XCOM" and bring on Skippy "Granada" Granola.

The gun's gotta be Guava Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, my Nittien application! Boy, was I poorly prescient. "At this point we can't really afford to pass up on free help."

With you two just having talked about being able to spend months of in-game time without even coming close to losing. :eng99:

At least I can imagine the Commander making a spit-take with their coffee as they're going through the recruit applications. "Wait, Nittien was real?"

Also, Margottini surviving a single pip of health to take dreadful revenge, then drawing away the faceless that could've killed the last civilian and failed the mission. MVP. :golfclap:

With those two, it does seem like women make for the best badass snipers.

• Locked thread