Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CrazySalamander posted:

It's even better(worse) when you consider that the being considers her to be a sister.

So a loving toaster thinks he's my brother. Boo-loving-hoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

CrazySalamander posted:

You can't fool me, Cylon.

Uh, that's just the sun reflecting off my sunglasses.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

zyxophoj posted:

Jake Solomon said he'd never bring snakemen back. But he didn't say anything about snakewomen.

NO HOMO

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Bruceski posted:

Meanwhile New Mexico is the Advent-remapped Mexico and not, you know, the state New Mexico.

Duh, that's New New Mexico

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Julian "I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt" Shen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SIGSEGV posted:

There are ways around the stack of doom, splitting your forces to force a choice, unit composition choices and collateral damage for example.
This is what I have been shouting from myarm chair for years.

Just let players stack as many units as they want on the hex, but after like 2 or 3, they all get debuffs to combat.
Plus, all units in the tile take collateral damage in any combat.

So, you have 7 relatively strong units in the hex, but they all fight at e.g. -75% efficiency. So some warrior stumbles on by and hits the defending unit for 30 points of damage, and all other units in the stack also take e.g. 15 points.

You might be able to squeeze a big army though a chockepoint, but you wouldn't want to keep your units stacked for long because the total damage would be too much.

Also Civ 5 totally had stacks of doom, but you only got them in the modern era when you developed airplanes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SIGSEGV posted:

It also had carpets of doom which allowed you to play Gridlock Simulator 2011.
That was a design decision. They wanted big armies to take a lot of room.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tylana posted:

Flashbangs are a good way of stopping many annoying enemy powers, though they do start actually shooting then (with reduced aim) so sometimes it's risky. Codexes are robotic enough to be vulnerable to suitable ammo/grenades, but I think Combat protocol checks for "not organic" instead?

Flashbang have a pretty ridiculous range, espacially when shot with a grenade launcher, so at least you can potentially disorient a lot of enemies.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Elth posted:

Seeing how most of the aliens are simply cloned en masse, presumably from a master copy that suits that particular role, the need for differing genders for reproductive purposes seems moot.

That said, now it seems even weirder that not only do vipers have breasts (maybe from incorporating human DNA as they did for sectoids?), but they retain their ability to breed with the viper king. Or that there's even a viper king in the first place (how did Vahlen even find these guys?). Are some species bred rather than cloned? Life finds a way?

It's because
>Firaxis went insane

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

GunnerJ posted:

I mean, if it's going to start tripping copyright detectors, it's probably not worth it.

I have no strong feelings one way or thw other about the songs themselves, but this is the practical argument.

if doing more work is just potentially cause you trouble, just don't do it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Rectus posted:

The only real solution here is for you to perform the music yourself, with Guava beatboxing.

Changing my vote to this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jade Star posted:

Operation True Roman Fire

I have no words for this mission. My words have failed me.

Voting for Nota Infiltrator

Also the backronym is
Rother
A'd
Gike to
Euck

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

CJacobs posted:

I mean I know Archons have rippling abs but

Pfft, like you wouldn't...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
It's difficult to make a game that is hard but fair, especially when :xcom: has become a kind of catchphrase.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I got two separate videos in my youtube subsriptions that say that there is now a long war mod for XCOM 2. So if you're into that sort of thing, go hog wild.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FlamingLiberal posted:

I burst out laughing when I saw that monstrosity

I just thought about Silent Hill 4

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
And she's immune to the freeze grenade.

You know, because of the sweater.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nalesh posted:

Though calling them back facing knees aren't really true, what you think is the knee of the sectopod is actually the ankle

The yellow in this is actually the knee

Birds, dogs and cats are all digitigrades. They walk on their toes (toe = digit).

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Fire Storm posted:

Need more modded in rulers. Andromedon ruler, ADVENT Trooper Ruler, Faceless Ruler, etc. RULERS FOR EVERYONE!

Same except there should also be middle managers for every enemy type.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Talow posted:

That officer was in the middle of taking a nap with his feet on the chest, and was too lazy to get up. That's what I think happened anyway.

I would like to request a piece of fan art depicing an Advent officer sitting with his legs up, shooting his rifle while aiming down sights.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Also I'd say that the turrets, especially when there's 4 of them, really help in the first few rounds when they almost double the number of shots taken at aliens.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, considering how in the first xcom the Skyranger would some times warp from the north pole to the south pole, i think Jake just doesn't know how map projection works.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
The coloring on that archon suit reminds me of (kinda :nws:)Hajime Sorayama's robot pinups

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Pls rename Empanada "White hat"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

zyxophoj posted:

Or "Dunce Cap"

Or "Responsible disclosure"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I live to serve. Made you two, though the full Enemy Protocol one will need tiiiny tweaks to drop below 30kb [although I guess maybe the support info is old on being 125x125 and 30kb? Not sure]

The limits are 150x150 and 100kB

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jade Star posted:

Oh very nice. I think those look a bit sharper. Probably because you're working with 100kb and Nekomimi was working with 30kb.

I just need a good line for the text now.

Emphasis on the zeros

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cooked Auto posted:

So I just realized that the Councilman said that Advent was going to cover its people mulching plan in the guise of a broadcast about "A final treatment for the human condition".
Does this mean the XCOM2 universe is populated by huge amounts of Otherkin?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Makes u think

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jade Star posted:

gently caress Mario-com. I will never play that.

Uh... Mods??

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Hunt11 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLcPIWqK18

A video that gives more technical details on the upcoming expansion.

Hmm, one of the new classes is "Plumber" and one class has "#sassy #nofilter" in the skill tree, weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

InwardChaos posted:

It was nice to see the ending of the game. At that one point after your units run to the portal, where it flashed to the game field, my game ALWAYS freezes. I've attempted that mission on 3 separate occasions, and I've never been able to actually beat the game because of that bug...

Are you saying there's something Jake should do?

• Locked thread