Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Despair Arc has me giddy. It's what I've wanted for that particular set of characters ever since I learned the Danganronpa 2 twist. Very funny, very fun, very nice to see their actual sides. Really interesting to see where the Housekeeper goes as well. Gonna guess she's the mastermind behind the Future Arc or at least heavily involved in it.

There was so much I loved about the first Despair Arc episode. Gundam's intro. Akane's intro. The homeroom teacher. Nagito's luck. I even cracked up at Nidai's intro and I never laugh at those kinds of jokes. This is gonna be a ride. :allears:

I'm so happy Chiaki is a real person. I didn't expect that at all. Can't wait for her to die horribly while pleading for her despair-ridden classmates to never get up. I'm not ready at all.

I just wish Future Arc measured up. I think when I'm more connected to characters that aren't THE GREAT GOZU I will be, but the student council president isn't really doing much for me and overall it seems to lack the sense of style that I like in Danganronpa. Also, red blood. I don't dislike it and it's cool to see the world like this and I freaked at the shots of the Despair kids at the start, but I'm just hoping it really ramps up soon.

ViggyNash posted:

Also Chiaki was always a real person, the game never implied otherwise...

e: Or did the anime version show it differently?

Chiaki was never implied to have been based on anyone in DR2. She was just an AI built by Chihiro to look over everyone in the Future Foundation's virtual world they put the kids in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Good episode, bad conclusion. Not even upset, just feels dumb and also unnecessary.

Give us more Despair arc and as much Great Gozu as possible.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That was fantastic. I laughed out loud at a lot of parts.

It's just nice to see the characters I like getting a lot of screentime and knowing lots of horrible things I've often wondered about are going to happen. poo poo's going down.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Completely insane theory time: Komaeda is the mastermind behind Future Arc. It was a one in a million chance to wake up from the coma, and he did it thanks to his luck. He's very disappointed in the Future Foundation as they're supposed to be beacons of hope, and his plan to foster said hope through mutual killing has backfired.

Or it's just Junko again and Chisa is somehow Ryouko Otonashi and she faked her death who knows.

Hey, it's a Danganronpa thread. Nothing like busting out the old crackpot theories and pixel-hunts for old times' sake.

Either way, now I've had time to simmer down about the ending I'm definitely interested in seeing where the series goes and I really like the interlocking episodes format they're doing. I can see a lot of potential paths this series can take and I have high hopes for them. Still wish the blood was pink in Future Arc, though. Red blood just feels wrong.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Well, uh, gently caress.

I can't exactly take back the negative things I had to say about the first two episodes but this show finally got very, very compelling.

Pour one out for Great Gozu. You were too good for this sinful world. I seriously hope he shows up in Despair arc or something. Munakata got a lot more interesting in this episode and the others are coming into their own too but Gozu was truly the greatest.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 25, 2016

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I don't see Munakata as a villain. Maybe an antagonist by virtue of Makoto being the protagonist, but he made a lot of very good points. He's also suffering from the idea of a phantom enemy, thinking that by eradicating the Remnants of Despair he can eradicate despair as a whole. If nothing else, he wants it done as a symbolic victory.

The interesting thing about this episode was that it really solidified the idea that the Future Foundation is made up of a bunch of terrible extremists with ulterior motives. That's pretty cool and I look forward to seeing where it goes. It's different from the other DR games where all the characters seemed like basically normal, pleasant-if-maladjusted high schoolers that were forced to start killing each other and are upset over it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:smith:

I knew things would have to start popping off soon but it doesn't make it any less painful.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I jumped out of my goddamn seat.

Ultra Despair Girls is bad and all but that twist was phenomenal. Also good to have confirmation on Juzo's forbidden action and it was cool that Grandpa became Jinpachi Mishima. Everything is really taking shape now, awesome stuff. Definitely hooked, especially seeing as how almost everyone is a horrible person and they're all murdering each other.

So, the traitor is revealed, but I don't think Monaca is the actual mastermind. I think they'll come out of left field. My friend is trying really hard to convince me it's Chiaki, based on how the entire thing is considered a "game" and how she's the least likely candidate among other things, but I don't want to believe this.

Still wish the blood was pink, though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I must have been napping. What is forbidden action? Is he not allowed to punch old men?

It's punching people in general. He kneed Mitarai, tried to hit Kyoko with a chair, and couldn't punch the chairman.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

God that episode owned. Komaeda is one of my favorite antagonists in media and that episode was a great example of exactly why. The way his luck works is terrifying and his absolute unwavering belief in it is even scarier. Can't wait for wild shenanigans and murder to continue.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Belgian Waffle posted:

Nagito shenanigans aside, it was poop. Sorry man.
Nah it was good.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Danganronpa is a good series UDG aside and Junko is pretty good too. Danganronpa 2 was a good game. This has been a good show, first few episodes of Future notwithstanding.

There's my hot critique. Also I wish we could just get a 200-episode slice of life anime with the DR2 cast like the first two episodes of Despair were.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

There were two choices for Monaca: Leave a world that didn't want her or destroy it. We thought it was the latter, but Monaca was like gently caress this poo poo and became the SESL Neet. Maybe she'll come back to Earth when she becomes a SHSL Neet.

The phrase "SHSL NEET" is giving me horrible flashbacks to Danganronpa RPs on Tumblr.

Honestly, this episode could be seen as filler by cynical eyes, but I thought it was hilarious as it threw UDG under the bus, gave us Chibi-Komaru and a lot of genuinely funny moments, and Monaca going to space to become a NEET and becoming the most relatable character in the process. I dunno, I just kinda liked it. Looking forward to Togami getting blown up by a missile or something next episode.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jesus.

To see it happen...that was hard to watch, super gruesome, but the right decision I think. Goddamn. I felt sick to my stomach and the riot at the end was incredible. Such atmosphere.

Nice to learn that Mukuro has a lovely singing voice. And shoutouts to Nagito's sexy shower scene. I have no idea how he's going to come back into the picture.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So a friend and I were talking and he came up with a pretty interesting theory that the NG Codes all had to do with individual Remnants of Despair. It's got a few holes in it for sure, but I figured I'd link the post he wrote up on it. The Nagito/Koichi connection at least is fascinating.

It's also worth noting that Kuzuryuu and Munakata both lost the same eye, which is the opposite eye to the one that is affected by the poison in the bracelets. Just some food for thought.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

loving hell. Holy poo poo.

Nagito reaffirming his place as one of my favorite villains of all time. I can't believe he just pulled out a loving gun. Jesus. Talk about a showdown.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's nice the crazy theories are back from the old DR thread days but did we really have to bring back bad posts also. Also Metal Gear Rising was a bad game.

Mindblast posted:

E: also why were they(the camera) intentionally dodging Kirigiri's bare hand. Are we not allowed to see scars? That scene made a big deal out of it in a roundabout way.

I think that's just for consistency. They do that in DR1 as well. It could be relevant but I took it as they want us to keep using our imagination because reality won't measure up.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ZTD was good

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I love DR2 and DR's universe in general. Yeah, the mystery and murder mysteries are what makes the games fun and there weren't enough of those in this but I enjoyed this anime. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but the two sides had their share of enjoyable moments and even a really nice character arc in Juzo. The mystery was fun to guess and I really like that I figured out the suicide angle first among my friends. Watching the two overlapping anime series' every week was an unusual experience worth having. It had enough of a whodunit and howdunit aspect to work for me, it was just overly grim at points especially in Future. I'm kind of pissed that the first moment to have a genuine emotional reaction out of me, Kizakura's sacrifice, was nullified a few episodes later.

I like that the final weapon is "Hope" itself and I look forward to seeing my boy Hinata smack down this whole good/bad dichotomy bullshit in Hope Arc.

I'm quite looking forward to V3. Love that the protagonist is a pianist and the talents and designs seem cool. Inventor girl is my current favorite. Hopefully they stick with a more traditional murder mystery plot this series.

Also Zero Time Dilemma was really good. All of it.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I actually love the DR2 cast so I'm down with some maximum cheese. It wasn't a great series outside of some solid moments so gently caress it, give me a dumb happy ending. I got to see how they all fought which is something I was really interested in, the Imposter being Munakata had me laughing really hard, my boy Hinata saved the day, Nagito's robot arm was fantastic, and it was really just pure fanservice and now the DR2 kids can live life happily. Well, as enemies of the state, but ah well. I bought it, I'm happy, now we can move on to V3.

I'm not mad Kyoko isn't dead because it means Kizakura's sacrifice, one of the really good moments of the show, wasn't in vain.

Also, find it funny that Hagakure was right...but about the wrong group of characters.

• Locked thread