Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I wouldn't say better, but it's good if you wanna have Felix on a setting that doesn't have him goaded to being negative on folk all the time. (Go to their piece on Anil Dash and Prince, then go to the 4th Scumbag episode aaaarooooound the time he starts talking about Old_Gaes to see what I mean). If you wanna have snappy Felix, Chapo. If you wanna have kind but still snappy Felix, Scumbag. Maybe except the Ron Fournier segment on the 12th ep and the MMA exchange on the latest one. Maybe that was why I particularly enjoyed those?

I do think the Gawker piece they mentioned on the MexicanAnarchist episode was an AdequateMan piece, so it wasn't a "Here's how to logically own your racist uncle" and more a "Here's how to manage him so that his presence doesn't sour for everyone, including him, your 4th of July festivity" piece. So Matt's rant and subsequent followup was either really dumb or really appropriate given the content of said piece.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I gathered that much, I meant in response to a bit earlier when they bring on the psychological profile of the kind that writes those as being this logic obsessive dork that would be anxiously crushed at the mere idea of disagreement and not someone trying to make to soothe the situation so they have said party in peace.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Not even for the Bastard Executioner or the episode that created the titular podcast, the one where they all go see the 13 Hours Movie?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

At the moment the only thing stopping me from getting into that is that Patreon isn't fond of my paypal and my portuguese debit card.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah, but I wanna just use my paypal balance for internet crap. Paypal for internet stuff, debit for everything else.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh hey, MurderBryan got a new microphone for this. Or at least his recording apparatus seems a bit less lovely.

Anyways, Chapo La Musica Vibro, Murderfight Y Ella Nos Unió.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, they somewhat elaborate without being dismissive of those feelings. I have some bones to pick about both CTH and Scumbag, but being dismissive of others' emotions certainly is not a thing.

Wanna see the prep of the live show? Peep this Periscope by Cushbomb! Dog petting was involved.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I have bones with how the podcast is framed on that article. I'm going to quote another piece that I found out thru the Chapo twitter account to showcase said bone:

quote:

In the very first episode of Chapo, Matt Christman criticizes viewers of shows like The Daily Show or Last Week Tonight for their reliance on catharsis, for the fact that watching these shows and seeing ideological opponents skewered (think of every Monday morning Slate headline about some conservative politician being “eviscerated” by John Oliver) provides a vicarious charge of having won another victory over the forces of unreason. Catharsis, Christman says flatly, is bad. Politics (especially, I would say, leftist politics) is a long, slow, difficult process that requires an incredible investment of energy. Each time a viewer sits down to another episode of one of those shows, Christman says, that energy is essentially dissipated in a righteous feeling of victory, the problem being of course that this “victory” has no material force in the world. Feeling like you’ve got the better point doesn’t actually win political change in any tangible way; it’s only through action that your ideas become reality.

I happen to agree with Christman. But where does that leave the Chapo listener? Aren’t we as susceptible to such a critique? Isn’t Chapo also helping to dissipate that energy?

Said piece then elaborates on the differences, but still somewhat warns that this could become a leftist equivalent of the Daily Show, getting catapulted into this position of leader of a movement mostly lead on catharsis. The Pastel Magazines article frames them already as demigods, with the Chapo Boys somewhat being aware that they're getting dragged into that position and somewhat trying to dispel that don't want to become that. On the other hand, there's an understandable embrace that a lot of their viewers do thank them for having an avenue where they can bonk at the current status and can become terrifying if "I would like to thank you guys for having something that makes my day brighter" to "Can you like, tell MurderBryan to look the other way while you guys do a Rally For The Chapist Righteous Ownage?" or some poo poo. Don't wanna see them get Peter Principled into that kind of position.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

quote:

So you're working out and getting buff so you are strong to do what?

"Getting women" as if they are objects to do what? gently caress them and forget about it? Some life. "Getting women" improves your social status amongst those who hi-five people for being "playa"s. Who gives a drat about being more social amongst those vapid wastes of food and employment?

Video games are a great way to have fun, and enjoy things that are availible to you in life. Not only this, but the making of a game is an art form - by playing through, say, an RPG, you are treated to a grand story that is just overwhelmingly more fufilling than going out, loving some chick, hi-fiving yourself and calling it a night.

You get the benefit of enjoying an experience that billions of people haven't already done to death. You get the benefit of enjoying an art form. Notice here that I am not approaching games as some h4rdc0r3 EL THREE THREE TEE jerk - I'm going about it in ways much like a movie buff would appreciate film. For tangible benefits, in competitive games, you are constantly pushed to not only complete a task, but learn to do it better and better. You learn to be quick on your feet, smart, and precise.

Oh, and popular television gives you a point of conversation with the lowest common denominator of people. And we all know that mediocrity is something to strive for, am I right?

The poster was probably Kimani? I had to google that so I had to fix the "gently carass" part up there since I don't have archives.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I like the guy making the "lol how come you're railing against capitalists on your iphone" remark as a jab against the communist, weirdo or not.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

As someone who followed Klein during that particular ordeal , she wasn't cheering said bombings on as much as she was angry that other similar bombing campaigns from US allies were being given the kid's gloves in terms of treatment from the media + frustrated on said media attempting to frame the starvation campaigns as purely Assad's fault while she worked with refugees, with Syrian "rebels" also doing their own starvation campaigns. I'm aware of this since there was indeed some conflict with folk who were both pals with the "tankies" and the folk who would end up becoming the Chapo Boys over this.

I dunno if I a while back I posted this, but I kinda saw it coming that one of the problems with the treatment of CTH is that if you had Felix doing his own thing and if he didn't have the same followship, he would have ended up being branded similarly as a tankie due to the way he covered KSA's foreign police and how they're handling Syria at the moment with bombing Shia refugee camps and so on. Heck, the mere idea that the Libya and Syria interventions aided the rise of Daesh or cheering the YPG on the war for a while would have branded you as a "tankie" until folk like Felix and Matt would outright state it on their podcast. Heck, you can see this with the Chapo folk being able to point on just how hosed up the Gawker dismantlement was and what it meant to the freedom of the press without having to their soundcloud annotations a fractal of "WOW SHUT UP YOU WHINY PUSSIES THAT WAS JUST AN OVERRATED FEMIWHINY poo poo CLICKBAIT MUCKRAG YOU CUUUUUUUUCKS" while Dan O' Sullivan can't do the same without that happening on twitter, despite him probably one of the most famous and notable guests on their show that wasn't Matt Taibbi.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Both Hezbollah praise and making GBS threads on zionists was somewhat in consideration given the earlier's positive intervention in aiding refugees and the latter having Israeli officials considering Daesh to be a way of disposing said refugees from coming inside the borders. I do recall Zaid Jilani having warm words about such and exchanging them with Felix at least. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

The idea of both Libyan and Syrian interventions being bad on a more broad spectrum only popped rather recently, and until then friends of mine who showcased disgust with either were branded as Assadists or Tankies or Wumaos or whatever, and Cracked/Vice were really receptive to rebels and so on. The hate going with Molly includes her being super receptive and raising said rebel causes that caused said situations to boil and be excused, so stuff started way before Emma said those things.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys I found footage of the latest Chapo guest as a child

Jesus, I would have cut out some of those breaks, like she was an insightful guest, but some of her sentence stuck times felt excruciating to listen to.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I can't listen to this since Patreon doesn't allow me to fund them due to my paypal account, but I'd expect Matt to be more baffled at twitch streams than Will, since the latter just posts capybara vines and fancy japanese stuff a good part of the time.

And to be honest, a general stuff ChapoCrew stream would be interesting. It would give them a low effort way of doing impromptu podcasts and there's quite a contingent of streamers that folk watch more as a radio show that happens to have game footage than to witness the streamers' game skills.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Glenn Greenwald has been also before with Chapo folk on a previous podcast. (I listened to this for a bit ages ago, can't provide the direct link since it's been out since Ferbuary)

Wait a second.... HAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHHAHHHAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It also helps that Greenwald can be quite a goof on twitter to youtube critics. He's the kind of guy that if he wasn't handling a coup that's probably going to get him shot in Temerlandia, he'd tell folk "Look at my wonderful dog" and post in mid coverage the equivalent of this stuff in Brazilian.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's funny listening to just how much Cush hypes himself as being this man's man of blah blah compared to today's youth or whatever and then listen to how he introduces himself on the last FrostChrisman. It's a really good episode, but back to back it's like a 180º shift between the two podcasts. I want to put this sticker on his worklocker or something, jeez.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Most people never need to be told this

I get that it's mostly jokes but when I get a former guest or two earnestly saying that stuff in the middle of serious talk and pointing to Chapo segments as a way to justify that stuff then it sort of truddles from "ironic joke" to "ok there's some sort of endorsement of such going on" on the Chapoverse, not necessarily the Chapo Boys themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQM7L-HUXBQ Also Street Fight has finally gotten an animation!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh, easily: Felix has done stuff with Dan O'Sullivan, who is followed by Ian JQ (Works as a director on a bunch of Cartoon Network pieces), who has met both the Cicierga Silibings.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think I recall them saying that FrostCristman was a biweekly podcast.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah it's not like a good part of this podcast isn't like a third driven by twitter beef or anything.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And here's the annotated version!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Why are folks pitting those against eachother?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I so want more of that Felix. Dude needs to be on more podcasts where he isn't expected to be jokish and instead you get this kind but yet stern version of him.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Tried listening to the recent episode of Delete Your Account but the one host who's an academic Marxist complaining about niche academic Marxists is sort of unbearable.

I like the one host, Roq's writing and they seem to have neat guests but I can't get into it.

Yeah and he was doing this as if he was trying to impress MurderBryan, who is probably the most friendly person to ever cross the Chapo Boys. Then again it was around the nasty spell where a bunch of big lefties were honestly blaming the loss on progressives caring too much about minorities that lasted for half a day until they spotted everyone they alienated + gave the "BernieBros are bigots in disguise" types ammo for weeks.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I can't use Patreon for reasons specified previously: How do they handle what is basically a 1 hour 6 person podcast?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a bit of a light schism going on Chapo and the folk around them about that, so I'm not surprised there was a mild "White Working Class" vs "Working Class" with C.KilPatrick on mic.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Like i said, can't listen to it. Based this on discussions on twitter from when folk were still figuring out after the election. Glad to know they figured stuff out on that cast tho.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The latest episode is a welcome lighthearted episode with a The Daily Beast Writer, with light hints at a Felix Self-Defense video in the future. Also, this happened:

https://twitter.com/JT60564/status/800476676496900096

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

It's really really bad, but I remember there was also one with an otherwise smart and interesting lady guest who had literally the most obnoxious voice I've ever heard purposefully recorded. I can't remember who or which episode, I'm pretty sure I didn't even finish it.

Lisa Featherstone?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

TBH both did handle trans and queer matters in bumpy ways (A recent example came within discussion of that Colin Jost jab about gender options in Tinder being "why Democrats" lost with her being somewhat dismissive of folk disgusted at it), but they do seem open to criticism on addressing such matters in the future. Honestly Bouie/that other piece whose name I don't remember should have at least pointed at specific examples rather than outright just go "Yeah this podcast is bad bc of all this problematic content I can't quite pinpoint", and from reading folk around the Chapo Boys And Chapo Girl it seems that the frustration is more from how unspecific it is.

That does come from said podcast being now on this crossroads between being a joking show where friends get together and goof about the latest nonsense AND an avenue where a lot of people are getting the latest in political and social analysis. The spectre of "Oh dear, will this become another Daily Show" is starting to pop up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That was part of why I mentioned The Daily Show, since it also juggled both Comedy and Trying To Do The Right Thing.

Pellisworth posted:

e: which isn't a judgment on the show really, it has taken a more activist and grim tone post-election. But, now more than ever it's really important to push left/progressive issues and activism in addition to our twice-weekly dosage of irony-bro leftist comedy.

If you're worried, go loving do something in your community.

The general consensus in terms of criticism with lefty pals who happened to disagree with them mostly tends to be just that they share a lot of the same goals and do work on them, but just happen to have bones with the previously queer issues and the foray to go into terms like "smoothbrain" or quips about autism. Two interviews with them do seem to acknowledge that the show isn't exactly for everyone and rather than attempt to sell them on such, they just want folk to at least agree on their general reasoning.

I do find it a bit sad when they go "Oh they had issues when this happened so clearly they're ClintonBots"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Sangita is from the lefty weird twitter sphere, I follow and like most of her stuff.

Yeah Merrit's DadFeelings having "Fictional Joe Biden" isn't necessarily this blind endorsement of the real one but rather a goofy analysis of that cartoony version that has been showing up on those Obama and Biden twitter chatlog posts.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

haha, wow. did not know that.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/the-surprisingly-mainstream-history-of-the-internets-favorit?utm_term=.of5l1em2b#.ibqAqMlJw

photo taken with A. Wyatt Man and the photographer is none other than Jim Goad.

I guess that explained the fight years ago with Bro-pair about casually quoting Steven Sailer.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That's what I fear as well, yeah.

Heck, we already saw them react to guests friendly to them but heavily disagree on a lot of stuff like Erin and that Pro-Elon Musk guy. I'm not saying they should scream at everyone for it, but seeing profiles go on how they go tough with guests but then not press her on "Federalist has good writers!" is probably going to foreshadow guests that spent months going after people like the chapo folk but happened to not say either "dirtbag left" or their podcast by name during so.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 28, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Listening to the whole interview felt like a nice little puzzle, on which I was given a warning of "Ok we Don't Necessarily Agree With Him on All counts" and I wasn't expecting ... those closing statements with the Syrian they so put that NPR-ish music over.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok I can't get over Curtis's "The Syrian Lone Wolf Attacks" Example as a bookend to his thesis on how the left should conduct. Did I honestly mishear that part as an endorsement for folk to start attacking concerts and train stations to denormalize the middle class or some poo poo? What did he meant by that?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Thank you so much! I've been honestly stumped for the whole day as I listened to it after weird noggin times. I have honestly heard similar ordeals from communists in Portugal and Brazil, so hearing this "hard medicine" wasn't such a shock until I started hearing the Al-Suri part when he started describing "targetting the liberal middle classes as they don't believe in anything". I was honestly worried that they were starting to go a deep end of "Ok who didn't tell our podcast off recently" sort of poo poo.

I can't quite provide the question to them on twitter since when I argued this with others, I was starting to get odd faves from "Davos" type folk on their profiles. Don't wanna destroy them, just wanna address matters within them.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I will keep it in mind in the future, I've had good experiences chatting with at least most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank having both Matts have an actual discussion over this is better than having this ouroborus of "Minding the hack like at all means you're a mentally handicapped liberal that only sees the world thru pop culture and have autism and a small dick and divorced and a failson" and "Not minding the hack at all means you're a russian/filipino agent bent on destroying what makes the US great with all your qualms about wanting a better outreach to working class just means you're a Berniecrat that voted for Trump once he didn't get the nomination" is at least progress of some kind. Christ.