Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

man this sucks rear end. I've listened to chapo since single digit episodes and have always loved and appreciated Matt's insight and analyses. I had the chance to meet the boys in person and they were so friendly and astoundingly generous with their time, especially Matt. I started listening to the cushvlogs shortly after my father died and his meditations on existence, consciousness, and death, really helped me to start to come to terms with my dad's death and the inevitability of my own. he's one of those rare people who is keyed in to the beam or frequency or whatever and is able to translate it into something other people can understand and that's a really special thing. hoping and praying with everything I've got that this isn't anything more than an untimely and scary blip in an otherwise long, healthy, and love-filled life with his wife and new baby. sappy and parasocial on my part maybe but the man's put so much of himself out there and it has been a great comfort and inspiration to me, especially in some of my very dark and sad moments. get well soon, Matt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

as bad as the christman jeer-ers' actual posts are, god drat are they pathetic. 7 follower bandera appreciation accounts and schizophrenic school bonds bappers staying up all night to retweet double digit liked posts written by race science psychos shilling offbrand medium newsletters. everything they post about him drips with the bone-deep recognition that when something happens to them they won't see the same outpouring of love and support that matt is getting. it's hard to find the haters funny, they're too deeply sad to laugh at, which is a shame. chapo used to have real posting enemies

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'd absolutely believe that. it's hard for me to believe that any more than like, three people on the planet max would have that exact and extremely specific flavor of profound mental illness

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lucky break for the nafo guys to have something to fixate on instead of having to post about how the waffen ss was actually good

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

because it's really about staking out a psuedopolitical position to have twitter arguments and make podcast eps about

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the willingness to not just ignore, but explicitly reject the sort of left-liberal politeness that's prominent in places and orgs that are ostensibly leftist but not specifically focused on class consciousness reads to a lot of people as right-wing, especially (in my experience) to people whose political understanding isn't fundamentally centered on class. The people who should agree, or at least be amenable to Chapo but hate them always seem to be of this type, where their hatred of the "dirtbag left" is based on cultural, not ideological, grounds

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

feeling sad because someone whose work is important to you got sick and you hope they get better soon isn't an unhealthy parasocial relationship. that'd be like if you were trying to find out what hospital matt was at to visit him because you are inventing a reciprocal relationship based exclusively on how strongly you feel. or the classic felix reply guy who goes insane because he doesn't respond to his bizarre overly familiar bants on twitter

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I heard about boss burger originally from my brother, who lived in dc when it replaced another burger joint in the same place. by all accounts boss burger sucked, mostly because of expensive mediocre food and really bad service, but the old place was apparently very good and universally beloved so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the really low reviews are at least partially motivated by that

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the cushvlogs are one of those things where if they don't hit for you after an ep or so they're never gonna, but if they do hit there's genuinely nothing else like it

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Chris is fine, it's just that Brendan was excellent, as evidence by how good Blowback continues to be. Difficult bar to clear

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

another big one is anywhere that was historically owned or controlled by jewish people israel can "legally" claim as israeli territory, and so there's a whole parapolitical system predominantly in israel and america consisting of "historical societies" that manufacture pretenses for these settlement claims. this is (iirc) the main israeli legal framework that they used to build their justification for sheik jarrah, amongst others

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

they've almost certainly got Matt on some s-tier meds. When my Dad was in the hospital he'd send me pretty similar texts when he was on the good stuff. at any rate it's more proof that nothing can stop a true poster from posting

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

no reason for anyone to go to br*tain much less eat any of the food they got

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Christman reassembling himself like Dr Manhattan in order to Post

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cached Money posted:

I love that they're letting what mind of json is watching decide their movie episode picks now.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the week long+ stancil meldown really brings me back to the heady days of the bernie campaign. one of the few remaining true dead ender debate freaks driven to madness by the nefarious chapo boys. wonder what completely insane tweet he'll delete but can't walk back that'll lead him to lock his account

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Something nakedly antisemitic but also maliciously horny for attention about Felix

I'd put money on this, yeah

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm very impressed with Stancil. I had never heard of him before a couple months ago, and he has risen to twitter enemy #1 purely off of how annoying his posts are.

he's that exact type of harebrained nitwit that who holds insane opinions that if he thought about for a single second would realize are both completely psychotic and directly contradictory, but instead has fully internalized that he's the smartest guy to have ever been born. used to be that you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one of these dinguses but they've all left to go post This! gifs at their favorite brands on threads. truly we live in a fallen era.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

3 hr movie mindset with Brendan :popeye:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I've been watching this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/@tarnishedarchaeologist about Elden Ring and now Bloodborne and they're excellent. Sometimes he'll stretch a little here and there but you can see how careful FROM is with their design work, and building it in a way that speaks to the history implied through the rest of the game. really fascinating stuff and a good thing to put on if you're folding laundry or whatever

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

one of the best parts of sumo is watching 200 year old super wealthy japanese guys get absolutely smushed because they paid for the seats closest to the dohyo

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

people don't like trueanon's finance eps????

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

No one likes anything in this thread

I keep forgetting this thread is in RGD

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ive made millions from braces financial advice

coindexter stan account

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i dont give a poo poo gently caress that worthless old gently caress

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

how loving stupid do you have to be to imagine the politicians don't know exactly what will get them votes

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

go ahead and give me as many wishes as you want im just gonna wish for more handjobs

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I used to get sleep paralysis all the time as a kid, once or twice a week for a while, and while I never saw anything weird or scary the experience of your conscious mind being awake while your body is still asleep is so deeply uncomfortable that the idea your conscious brain would start making stuff up to explain the situation and/or shock you into waking up makes a lot of sense to me

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the best explanation for this stuff, imo, is bad memory transcription due to stress or meds or indigestion or whatever. we know so little about how the brain encodes memory, it seems reasonable to think that every once in a while the memory-saving process takes dreams, subconscious thoughts, etc. and uses them to merge with or overwrites memories of real conscious experiences. For the people that have them, they're as real as any other memory of any other conscious lived experience because they are actually identical. Also explains why a lot of these things aren't "remembered" until hours/days/years after the "event".

one of the more fun ones I've heard though is the idea that one of the many-worlds interpretations of quantum weirdness is literally true, and that there's some sort of materially real and totally mundane entanglement across world-lines that account for observable physical phenomena like the double-slit experiment. your subjective experience isn't some sort of explicit absolute but instead a local expression of some number of versions of you that follows this particular world line of the physical matter that makes up your body and brain, but is also simultaneously entangled with however many other versions of your subjective experience along other world lines. so maybe like the double-slit experiment there are times where other versions of you have very excited brain states (saw something scary) and your subjective version of you doesn't (tired, drunk, whatever) and the entanglement effects are enough that part of the experience bleeds through. Your brain is getting real physical input from an actual material place that you otherwise wouldn't have access to, and something like this would be conceivably testable and falsifiable, which is neat.

not saying I believe either of these because my life is not plagued with ghosts so I have no need whatsoever to stake out a sincerely held position on any of this bullshit, it's just fun to think about.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Ok, I'm sure this comes up every time he comes on, but this Chapo guest's accent is supposed to be real, right? He's not just doing an impression of how southern people sound on TV shows and cartoons?

you are incredibly loving stupid, my man

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

shaking my head and chuckling at the barnes and nobles history section

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

space uncle posted:

I like how Amber hasn’t been heard from in like 3 years and as soon as she pops up - a dozen posts in this thread correcting her and criticizing her.

To be fair to the goons crawling out of the woodwork to do so - I’m not accusing anyone of misogyny, as the same bizarre criticism is routinely aimed at the male hosts as well. Just impressed that we didn’t even get more than a couple nostalgic “fat titty Amber” posts before the bullshit started back up.

Personally it was nice to hear from her. I guess if the book gets good reviews I’ll buy it. I bought the last Chapo book too, it was fine. I’ll keep reading that garbage.

chapo is a (relatively) older style of lefty media in that the hosts explicitly reject listening to the podcast as "doing politics". The stuff that arose in its wake, especially the stuff that doesn't regard itself as dirtbag or tries to be more strenuously "leftist" largely, due to the social media environment that's been around for the last decade+, insinuates the opposite: that consuming their media and other left media aligned with them does indeed constitute doing the work and is capital-I Important.

I think for a lot of people who first developed a political identity in the Occupy or Bernie eras that didn't try to actually organize and instead developed Posting is Praxis brain see anything that isn't a reaffirmation of their own politics or palatable reflection on their current political fixation as some sort of betrayal. How dare they say the Richard Jewell movie was good! It was created by a reactionary! Why aren't they doing more episodes about Palestine!? Don't they know dirtbag leftism is over!? But they can't stop listening because Chapo isn't an entertainment product that can be ignored if it doesn't entertain, it's a political entity and they need to be aware and critical to do the important political action of twitter threads or whatever.

However I think with Amber specifically my theory is that you either find her sometimes-abrasive personality either kind of charming or kind of annoying, and for some guys a kind of annoying girl in their favored media is an unforgivable affront.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

amber rules and always has

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Bryan is illuminating the types of guys just as Mao before him explicated the types of liberalism

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

net work error posted:

The sports washing episode was very good I enjoyed it

yeah now having listened to it it was mostly about sports w/r/t gulf politics and was only sort of about mma, and what was about mma was weird (good). very solid ep

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the ONLY good corn tortilla is a freshly made one, which is superior to everything else except a freshly made flour tortilla (with lard, not shortening)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

hesse >>>> stav

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Matinee posted:

That also describes 100% of movie podcasts, but the chemistry of Will and Hesse makes it better than 95% of movie podcasts.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

snoremac posted:

no spoilers

flawless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

net work error posted:

Was wondering why the file size was so large