Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

OK, I just Patreon'd them or whatever, is there an easy way to get the premium episodes into my iPhone Podcasts app?

I don't think so, because those episodes are all hosted on Soundcloud. Probably the best you can do is download them and be able to play them on the Soundcloud app or the non-podcast iTunes app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kunster posted:

At the moment the only thing stopping me from getting into that is that Patreon isn't fond of my paypal and my portuguese debit card.

De Crecio!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I Before E posted:

Ed is kind of a dummy but Scumbag lets us see(hear, rather) Felix's more tender, soft-spoken side, and I like that.

No, it's the Digcast that lets us hear Felix's more tender, soft-spoken side.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I Before E posted:

Also fascism in Turkey, don't forget that.

Think you mean social justice and development, friend.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

This was the first episode I didnt really like. Felix writes an article and they spend the episode hashing over the thing I read last week. The Vietnam allegory was kind of fun, then they drew it out with the Iraq war and it died. Meh.

Chapo works best when they can go deep into a single idea or train of thought, and there was way too much in Suicide Squad to analyze and riff on.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I know digcast is parody/satire, but do they get some real guests or is it people who sound like the supposed guest?

The main guests are always real. Sometimes they have people call in for a minute or two who are clearly fake characters invented for the show (David Milkberg, or the Billiards Fool).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
They need Brandon Wardell to get his friend @Deray to come on the show.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Deray has done a ton of work documenting protests that were under media blackout and police brutality and all, but yea its his charter school stance that really matters

I think everyone on the podcast/leftist twitter sphere agrees that Deray does a lot of genuinely good and fantastic and important journalism/activism, and also that his love of charter schools and the twitter brand is silly. That's why they don't threaten his imminent death or associate him with bizarre sexual pathology.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Corek posted:

Many men say they are High T seriously

Chapo says they are High T ironically

Most do not do this

Most people never need to be told this

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Too lazy to find it, but I remember that there was at least one poster in this thread complaining/concerned about Chapo having no black guests. Well, it took 40 episodes, but Greg Howard is black and the guest for this week's show.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Stacks posted:

Man, the far left in the US likes to go after liberals far more than they do people on the Right.

mainly out of frustration that in the end they/we are going to vote for the liberals anyway

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Gmail was blowing up today. Did Chapo reupload all their episodes tonight?

yeah, part of them launching an RSS feed

https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/775873760146690053

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Okonner posted:

Is there any kind of list or searchable archive of the Genius posts or whatever they are where the guys have comments overlaid on some article?

http://genius.com/artists/Virgil-texas

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Barbe Rouge posted:

Can someone tell me in which episode they take a dump on Gorilla Mindset?

None of them, because the Gorilla Mindset is good.

(for real, I don't think there have been any segments directly about the Gorilla Mindset)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

I think the Gorilla Mind-set dude is just one of the rotating cast of characters that populate the Chapo-verse, like Dan Quinn or the Traitor Gulen.

exactly

for an explanation of the dan quinn mythosphere, btw, check out the scumbag! podcast, which felix hosts with lovable english moron ed zitron

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

who's the guest

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

Yeah there were a couple of non grey wolves in attendance.

How does that happen?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Best episode of the show so far.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Is Chapo still shilling for Jill Stein or have they realized she's terrible yet

The Chapo position on Stein has always been that she's laughable because of her alternative medicine/vaccine stuff, and that people should just vote for hillary because it's her or trump and she's better than trump

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
EDIT: jill stein is dumb

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 10, 2016

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Isn't Stein also anti-nuclear power?

uhhh yeah you could say that

https://twitter.com/drjillstein/status/715230945679380481

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Dr. Stein said in response to a question about wireless internet in schools: “We should not be subjecting kids’ brains especially to that… We don’t follow that issue in this country, but in Europe, where they do, they have good precautions around wireless, maybe not good enough.” What precautions should be taken around wireless internet and why?

What actually happened is that a parent raised concerns about the possible health effects of WiFi radiation on developing children, and I agreed that more research is needed. It may surprise many people that over 200 scientific experts in the field have called for more research into the health effects of radiation from devices like cellphones and WiFi, especially on developing children, and a number of countries have banned or restricted these technologies in schools. These concerns were amplified by a recent National Institutes of Health study that provided “some of the strongest evidence to date that such exposure [to the type of radiation emitted from cell phones and wireless devices] is associated with the formation of rare cancers…”

http://www.jill2016.com/jill_stein_answers_science_questions

oh whoops, thanks for the correction. lol jill

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think she was a reporter who was just there as an observer, but I could be misrembering.

Speaking of which, was that article published yet? I hope it gets posted in the thread sooner or later

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Clinton and Kasich voters scoring even to one another on that study... mmm mmm that's tasty.

Doesn't this imply that white Clinton supporters are more racist than the Kasich supporters? Because probably like at least a third of Clinton supporters are non-white and they're probably not saying 'yes' to the racist questions.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

That billboard is paid for by the Cards Against Humanity guy's Super PAC

inspired by David French

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

This is shockingly accurate

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bastard Tetris posted:

Is it just me, or has the quality of the eps just gone through the roof lately? Scahill and Zaitchek in one week is awesome as hell, and is probably more informative news than anything around.

It makes sense. The more shows they do, the more experience they have with podcasting. The wider their reputation, the easier it is to get good guests. The more money they get, the better their equipment.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The free market in action

Major barriers to entry or incumbent advantages, such as equipment costs and reputational effects, are actually obstacles to a free market
:goonsay:

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 29, 2016

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

The cards that got drawn for the Hillary presidency were too good.

Economics is bad.

Political economy is very, very good.

Actually, Economics is good. Economists are bad.

SunAndSpring posted:

I just wanted to be able to understand Das Kapital, why you gotta slam Econ like that Felix:smith:

Although, if you want to thorough your understanding of Das Kapital, Economics isn't the first discipline to look

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I think I actually got semi-decent professors when I got my degree in Econ. Only got 1 hardcore Libertarian, the rest of my Econ profs were really into Bernie Sanders.
Good to hear! That was put lovingly and self-depricatingly (I'm doing my grad work in Econ now).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
If anyone's going to the election night party, I'd like to buy one of the shirts that they'll be selling there. PM me!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

yeh but then they turn into no war but class war weirdos

Yeah those exist for sure

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

they do

in gbs

where you belong

Mods‽‽‽

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

One thing I didn't agree with in the premium ep was the "Americans are too pampered, no one's gonna be in the streets" probably applies to some people, but I think black folks, Native American folks have shown that they will get out in the streets. Hell, Trump got scared out of chicago by demonstration from a coalition of Fight for 15, BLM and other activists.

People will go out and protest in the streets, sure, but Matt meant "go out into the streets" in the Weimar Germany sense of "literal deadly violent clashes between political groups in the streets" which dumb members of the commentariat fear will happen if/when Trump doesn't concede. Sometimes protests are violently repressed in America today, but they never turn violent because, as Matt points out, there are few people who are literally willing to kill or be killed for their political beliefs

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

As hilarious as that latest premium episode was, I don't think Trump's call to not respect the election results if he loses is something to dismiss as "scared lib" talk. It shows a peek into how undemocratic he would be if he does win, which is highly unlikely in spite of certain sites and media outlets saying that it's getting close. And while nobody is gonna take it to the streets if Trump loses, I wouldn't doubt there being a smattering of racist violence in its aftermath. Matt Walsh is all talk, but scattered white nationalists could mean business. Let's not forget yet another black church firebombing recently with "Vote Trump" sprayed on it.

As for the good stuff, I completely forgot about Steven Den Beste's blog post about how being at a strip club made him have faith in women. I remember he once said that his last name "appropriately" translates to "The Best" in Dutch. Good night, sweet anime warmonger, and may a chorus of waifus lead you to 2D Heaven.

Agreed, but scared libs are literally sacred of Trump trying to start a coup or poo poo like that. Which won't happen because Trump supporters are all, like Trump himself, lazy old men with big salaries and families

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

are there many people afraid of actual coup attempts, or are people just maybe worried that the white nationalist who spent his entire campaign shouting 'YOU ARE HEROES FOR HATING THE MUSLIMS AND MEXICANS LIKE ME, IF ANYTHING EVER DOESN'T GO YOUR WAY IT'S BECAUSE 'THOSE PEOPLE' RIGGED IT, ALSO JEWS BUT I GOTTA BE MORE SUBTLE ABOUT THAT' probably just emboldened the types of people who, say, burn a church or mosque down.

There are people who are actually worried that donald trump's refusal to accept the results of the election wold represent a grave danger to American democracy itself (as well as people who more sensibly understand that racist rhetoric encourages racist violence)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

At least now Pacifica's donations will go up again so we might have more liberal radio content again like we did under Bush.

Keepin' it 1600 is staying around, hope Chapo keeps it up for all of Trump's time in office. I need their style of comedy.

Given that it's literally the primary source of income for all 3 of the hosts (and maybe Brendan as well), I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about it going away :)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/798222599788457984

Thank the Lord, Amber and Virgil are both great but 5 regular hosts on a podcast sounds bad

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

So was that off mic conversation about booking Adam Curtis?

That's what I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

The most recent one was 5 people Matt, Will, Felix, Amber and Conor Kilpatrick as a guest. Worked fine. Amber and Virgil will be rotating in the 4th chair so it doesn't seem both will be on every episode.

It was 6, Matt Karp was there too