Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

terrorist ambulance posted:

Richard Wolff is on the Depeogram this week which is a decent comedy / politics podcast

Someone pointed this out but it is funny, deprogram is usually pretty loose but this ep is just the economic update lol

No matter what podcast Wolff is on, the host pretty much just points him to a subject and lets him loose. Which I think is great, because there are few others I'd trust for economic analysis other than Wolff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Workers that are confined to an office are easier to control and surveil, not just in terms of keeping tabs on unionizing efforts but micromanagement that wrings every erg of work out of employees.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

For me, it's all about choice. Some people like going into the office for whatever reason, and others prefer to skip soul crushing commutes and office drudgery to work from home. They both should be able to choose how their professional lives go, but capitalism doesn't allow for control over your own life because it's more profitable to keep you desperate and miserable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

having these very cushy jobs where they can just poo poo out trash content whenever they feel like it

On that same note, I listened to the Megan McGriddle 'pie rant' episode a little while ago. At least Kass kinda had a point about the queen, maybe, if you squint hard enough. The pie column reminded me of something I might have written in high school just to have something to turn in.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

After the past four years, I can't rule out the wackiest possibilities. Kanye running so that chuds can point to him and say, "We're not racist! Look, we support One Of The Good Ones" is not terribly likely but plausible.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sephyr posted:

Kanye's Bush quote would just be fodder for his redemption arc. "Here, look how far I have come, now I see the light!" Or maybe not even that is needed. Just go "yeah, Bush was RINO lib, loved wars and dhit, fought outside the country when the real enemy was within!"

True, but I have my doubts that Kanye would be smart or savvy enough to pull that off. It's not so much that he's not smart as he's so mentally unwell that I don't know what goes on in his head.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Not much is completely out of bounds post-2015 elevator.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Breadallelogram posted:

SA mention around 15 minutes into the new ep

Felix may be/may have been a goon, because I think he's mentioned the forums before.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

All 3 of the core group have mentioned it or are clearly aware, Mike and jf from yks are also goons, so is Liz bruenig.

This stupid site continues to have an outsized influence

Well, better SA, which is fairly innocuous as far as modern internet goes, than something like Reddit, I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

there will almost definitely be a woman on the Democratic ticket one way or another

Hillary's time to shine (again)!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I majored in computer science but I'll never understand the kind of techbro dorks who think they're god's gift to society because they know how to code. One of the most important things that college taught me was that I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought I was, and that there's a lot I don't know about CS and programming.

e: You may not like it, but this is peak masculinity -

Only the best genes from the billionaire whose face looks like a puckered rear end in a top hat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Forceholy posted:

Yes, but have you considered that you make more money than a Humanities or a "Mrs" major?

Anyway, this Peterson guy sure is making a lot of sense

Elon's definitely the type that would say something like, "Who needs reading and literature? I didn't get rich that way; we'll have robots for that in our tech utopia!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

General Dog posted:

I think it’s kind of impossible to talk about JFK without sounding like a crank

Probably by design.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Avatar chat in Chapo episodes is boring. I'd rather hear about Dreher and his strange relationship with his sexuality.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hearing Bomani talk about how hosed health insurance can be for new players is giving me a whole new reason to despise NFL and football. Good episode so far (I'm only about 30 minutes into it).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Americans riot when their sports team wins.

France riots when their neoliberal politicians try to attack their unions or benefits. France clearly wins that one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't usually mind Felix too much, but I listened to the clip discussing the Liz Koch article and his interruptions and irrelevant comments were frustrating. I'd have rather heard Matt's takes than Felix's.

Good segment, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Of course now that these ghouls got what they want - health care for life - they can admit that "Havana Syndrome" was bullshit. This trick gets pulled all the time and the people who do it always think we're too dumb to notice.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If he pronounces his name like I'm imagining, "Bo Dietl" sounds like a Don Martin sound effect.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kind of a mid episode for me. I liked the guests but most of the readings, save for the "podcast bro" one at the end, were not all that interesting.

Felix didn't seem as...stoned out of his gourd (?) this time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well, give it time. Going all in on "groomers" and trans people didn't work this time, but if they keep pushing the point they might succeed in turning public opinion....maybe.

I'm reluctant to underestimate the stupidity of average Americans and their vulnerability to punching down.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What fascist isn't a charisma void freakshow? You really can't have one without the other.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blazing Saddles is the best Western ever made.

Spaceballs isn't as good but it's still a good movie.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I had heard the name before but I didn't know much about Finkelstein before this episode. He rocks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

COPE 27 posted:

Search youtube for "finkelstein yells at a girl and makes her cry"

The "crocodile tears" moment? Yeah, that was telling.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 29, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I can't really blame him for that. Who the hell wants to sit through that boring :decorum:fest?

The fact that royalty still exists in the 21st century is really bizarre to me. It's a relic of the Middle Ages that we just haven't seemed to get rid of.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

He saw a man with brown skin and assumed he was the concierge.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

I understand the monarchy as a bunch of mascots for the UK, and that seems fine. Here's the rich family we pretend is special. Throw them a parade when they come to your country. Oh, look, they're squabbling with each other. Isn't that fun?

The thing that seems real hosed up over there is they still have literal lords who get dispensation from the state to collect taxes on land and poo poo and a House of Lords that technically still has actual power over legislation and whatnot. That's real hosed up.

I didn't know about that but it makes sense that the royals are a spectacle distracting people from that Robin Hood poo poo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Chapo is correct.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:yikeseroo:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't mind the Chapo boys being fans of Cameron, but the way that hymn the Avatar movies as modern masterpieces is odd to me. I saw the original Avatar last fall. It was fine, but nothing special.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Turns out that people like Obama aren't responsible for the working class' declining quality of life. It's all because we just stopped watching working class TV in the '70s.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That face when you see a pudding cup to finger.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thomas is a really interesting cautionary tale for the left in a way. His pessimism about electoralism and working with the democrats is very understandable and correct, but the nihilistic, "Well, might as well just get mine and gently caress the rest of you" is the danger of letting that cynicism go too far.

I still think Thomas is a piece of poo poo, but I actually understand him a bit better now that I've been listening to this episode.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok then why'd the republicans do historically bad in the midterms

Abortion.

You might be right, though I wouldn't place too much faith in Americans not to be dumber than dogshit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Eh, I'm too much of a Libra"

:goonsay:

Honestly, an episode where Adam and Felix just roast Matt and his Midwesternness would be a lot of fun.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 8, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hope Matt feels better soon so that he's healthy for his kid and can get back to ranting about politics.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, I caught that and I'm not sure whether that was a slip or just saying that Matt would want the content released.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 23, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't use Reddit because it seems like a shithole, but best wishes to Matt. He'll be back to ranting in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Like leftism, I was way late to the game getting into Chapo. I listened to a fair amount of Pod Johns content in 2017, but then August 12th happened and that belatedly put me on course to embracing leftism. I don't think I started listening to Chapo until 2018, around the time AOC was beginning to get national attention.