Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

nvm

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

This reminds me of Todd Hido

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 31, 2016

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've been scanning a lot of film this week

edit: redid white balance

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 3, 2016

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

deaders posted:

Your colours are fairly off. Seems to be lots of red/purple

Thanks, I redid them is it better now?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've not shot with my Chamonix in a long time, but I decided to take it to an old cemetary in town and work on a typology of old gave markers. Here's what I have so far:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

bobmarleysghost posted:

Cool, I think I would like it more if the bases of all of those stones matched up on a line, also all taken from the exact same distance from the stones.

This is the first time I've tried something like this so thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep it in mind if I try it again.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Rot posted:

Unfortunately it kinda smells like cigarettes but hopefully that will pass.

I got a Contax TVSII that smelled really bad like smoke. I wiped it down with some lysol wipes which helped some and the rest of the stink faded with time. The cloth case it came with was far worse but I doused it in febreeze a few times and it's not so bad now.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've been using my Bronica SQ a lot lately, digging 6x6 right now

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

gently caress, the n2 is sold out :( Website says they'll be back in "4-6 months" but who knows when that was initially posted. I'll just have to keep my eyes on there I suppose. I'm not a huge fan of super wide-angle, and while I would like to take advantage of movements and such I dunno if I'd really need the flexibility provided by the 45F-2, I doubt I'd be able to take full advantage of it.

I bought an F1 because the N2 was out of stock at the time. I'm pretty sure I've never used rear tilt, but I don't regret my decision. Also, the separate knobs for tilt and rise/fall on the F2 is a feature I wouldn't mind having.

Been shooting my Bronica SQ a lot lately, here are some shots.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 12, 2020

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Anyone use a 75mm with their Chamonix? I'm assuming I'd have to move the rear standard forward to focus at infinity? Any issues with movements and the 'universal bellows'?

Will vignetting be a problem? Would I need a center filter? It seems like the Nikon 75mm f/4.5 has the most coverage of the modern ones I could find specs for. I'm not backpacking or anything with it so weight isn't a huge concern.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Awesome thanks for the advice guys.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Sweet, took the plunge and ordered my chamonix :toot: How can i tell the new style riteways specifically? Googling just seems to reveal people referring to them but not really describing them.

Number all your holders and write down a description of each shot so if one has a leak you know which holder sucks.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

My Chamonix arrived! :toot: still waiting on the lens though. Speaking of which, how do I know which hole to pit the front standard into? I know it depends on the lense, but I was surprised there weren't clear markings, since most everything else on the camera is very clearly marked.

You just kind of figure it out over time. I use the hole closest to the rear standard for my 90mm, second closest for my 135mm and the one furthest away for my 210mm. That said, I'm shooting at or near infinity all the time so I don't rack it out very far, so your YMMV.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

The leap from a V700 to the next thing will set you back ~$15k: https://petapixel.com/2017/05/01/16000-photo-scanner-vs-500-scanner/

There's a Plustek 120 scanner thats supposed to be good -- https://plustek.com/us/products/film-photo-scanners/opticfilm-120-pro/index.php

I think they might be in the middle of transitioning to a new version, so they seem to not be in stock anywhere, but I remember the previous version being like $1500, so still pretty expensive.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alkanphel posted:

1. I don't think I've ever dusted my MF camera in a decade.

I use a blower on the mirror and ground glass sometimes just because it annoys me.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Dren posted:

assume that’s why Silverfast’s software is per scanner model. Perhaps they correct for each scanner’s quirks to do all the mapping correctly.

Silverfast charges per scanner to scam you out of more money.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Some recent shots

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Is the GX617 the most economical 6x17 camera (with interchangeable lenses) that can be taken seriously?

If you already have some large format stuff (like a lens that covers 6x17) there is a Shen Hao 6x17 view camera thats about the same price ($3k).

There is also the older G617 that is cheaper, it has a fixed 105mm lens and is scale focus (I think the GX617 is also scale focus)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

How are you going to focus it, ground glass on the back?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

This is excellent.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

First roll of Foma 100 is mostly a disappointment. Lots of defects that look like:

Fomapan scratches pretty easy so it’s possible it happened at the lab.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

yeah i don't even know what i'm looking at and that's fun

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pondex posted:

Are the Hasselblad "C"-lenses annoying to use? The ones with the coupled speed/aperature?

I imagine it would be fussier than the CF where you can lock the two rings together if you want. But they're also cheaper than CF-lenses.

From what I've read C lenses are harder to repair (and getting pretty old now), so it may be worth spending more in the long run.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Google Butt posted:

For those using Instax wide, what ND filter would you suggest I use if I want to most closely match how I'd meter for portra 400?

not really sure if this is what you mean, but instax is 800 iso so i guess a one stop nd filter?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

135mm is a common focal length too if you want a touch wider than 150mm.

nikkors are good (all of my 4x5 lenses are nikkors). you can't go wrong with any of the big 4 lf lens brands (nikkor, fuji, rodenstock or schneider)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

^
Very nice!

Sorry in advance if this question is silly/bad, but why do people like pinhole cameras that use 120 film? Doesn't diffraction completely ruin the resolution of the final negative? Seems to me like a terrible use for 120 film. In addition, what subject matters work well with pinhole cameras? I've looked at countless pictures and I don't get it so far, but perhaps I have been looking at the wrong images.

the effects of diffraction are less evident in larger formats, i shoot f/22 on 4x5 most of the time, but try to avoid it on 35mm for example. i've only shot on a pinhole camera once or twice, just to do it, but if i were looking for a project or something i'd try to really lean into the flaws (softness, low contrast, subject movement from long exposure etc).

i enjoy this photograph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

these are both cool