Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
...and pokestops.

Are they lured?

They're lured, Georgie. They're all lured down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, it seems like using the clown completely misses the point of the whole thing if you're setting it in a different time and place. Children and adults are probably just as easy to scare, but children are much easier to handle if they fight back or try to flee, I guess. You'd think adults would taste better. They've had a lifetime of fears and anxiety and have even likely experience some form of existential dread or crisis. Some of them even have deeply ingrained phobias and anxieties that you could exploit to get them to reach a fever pitch right before you feed. Kids would be like eating tatertot casserole; quick, it will technically feed you, really bland, depressing to anyone watching you eat it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's because when an adult sees a werewolf or a giant bird they don't think it's real.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I think It was just a lonely, depressed bachelor who didn't want to put any effort or craft into his meals. Maybe if a Ms. It were to crash into his life he'd shape up and long con her a nice meal to bring back to his recently tidied hellbeast lair.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

loquacius posted:

I found the article I was thinking of

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/16/pennywise-costume-stephen-king-it-movie

Some of the aesthetic decisions made sense -- this one actually made it sound kinda cool

but I still didn't like it and this quote sums up why

In other words he's just kind of a generic-type monster who chose clown-form for ICP Hot Topic reasons

yeah. i can see what they are trying to go for and like some of it. If it doesn't suck, then kudos to them.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, it seems like using the clown completely misses the point of the whole thing if you're setting it in a different time and place. Children and adults are probably just as easy to scare, but children are much easier to handle if they fight back or try to flee, I guess. You'd think adults would taste better. They've had a lifetime of fears and anxiety and have even likely experience some form of existential dread or crisis. Some of them even have deeply ingrained phobias and anxieties that you could exploit to get them to reach a fever pitch right before you feed. Kids would be like eating tatertot casserole; quick, it will technically feed you, really bland, depressing to anyone watching you eat it.
from what i remember of the book. children are easier to hunt and track,eat/kill and their fears are simpler and easy to morph into. adults have more complex fears. its like the T1000, it can only do simple poo poo not super complex poo poo.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Excuse you but it's the clown movie. Did you not see how badass and scary and grimdark the clown looks? Do we need to market it more? Pennywise merchandise months before the movie is even done? Maybe entire trailers based around the clown.

IT was the clown movie, we gotta remake it with the clown. I don't want to hear none of this shapeshift or from beyond billions of years bullshit. That clown is badass. No way is our focus on small details because they are memorable going to make the entire thing terrible.

- Hollywood Executive

I've been trying to think what catchphrases IT has and it's mostly "We all float down here" so expect that to some sick music while the clown is leading a demon army or something equally as idiotic.

to be fair when i was a kid, i was terrified of pennywise and chuky. Now being on the internet/liveleak/horror movies/video games have desensitized me and probaly alot of other people on here to most horror stuff(at least the basic types)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
in the remake he should be officer pennywise and he is a cop who steals the souls of people by shooting them

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I want the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie to be good. The games used to be great and then they kind of decided they have absolutely no idea what to do with the modern-day plot. Now the games are on hiatus for a year to ensure the new one doesn't turn out poo poo. They've also got Michael Fassbender really involved in the production of the movie. If it fails, it will mean bad news for the Assassin's Creed brand as a whole. I'm curious how it's all gonna turn out.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Grimace posted:

I want the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie to be good. The games used to be great and then they kind of decided they have absolutely no idea what to do with the modern-day plot. Now the games are on hiatus for a year to ensure the new one doesn't turn out poo poo. They've also got Michael Fassbender really involved in the production of the movie. If it fails, it will mean bad news for the Assassin's Creed brand as a whole. I'm curious how it's all gonna turn out.

They have no idea what to do with the modern day plot because they fired the guy who was writing it around Assassins Creed 3

So they just went "Ahhh gently caress this future poo poo lets just kill the guy" and welp

It's a shame because the Ezio chapters are the most popular in the series

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'll probably end up watching Ben-Hur because I'm just so desperate for another good Roman-era film that I'll give any old poo poo a watch. I want to believe...

If your that desperate, then check out Centurion. Not great, but a decent action flick and Michael Fassbender is pretty good in it. And, as someone else recommended, check out the Eagle, which actually managed to surprise me considering some of the critical reviews it got. By the numbers, but a fun watch. But yeah, sword-and-sandal flicks aren't so hot at the moment. All of the most prominent releases in the past few years have been mediocre to bad. Ben-Hur seems entirely in the latter category. Kind of like how most swashbucklers nowadays aren't just uncommon, but are bad.

The Grimace posted:

I think Black Flag is pretty good as far as writing is concerned, at least if you focus on the material involving Kenway, but I agree that the modern stuff is still a bit weak. To be honest, I think that's been the weakest part of the series, beyond how the writers frame both factions, even before Ezio's games wrapped up. Also, I bet Michael Fassbender hopes it's a big hit too since he probably stands to benefit quite a bit from being the start of a big blockbuster.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Barrel posted:

If your that desperate, then check out Centurion. Not great, but a decent action flick and Michael Fassbender is pretty good in it. And, as someone else recommended, check out the Eagle, which actually managed to surprise me considering some of the critical reviews it got. By the numbers, but a fun watch. But yeah, sword-and-sandal flicks aren't so hot at the moment. All of the most prominent releases in the past few years have been mediocre to bad. Ben-Hur seems entirely in the latter category. Kind of like how most swashbucklers nowadays aren't just uncommon, but are bad.

Yeah, Centurion was badass. The only part I really remember years later is Liam Cunningham's death scene and that alone still makes it cooler than 99% of action movies to come out in the last few years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rutibex posted:

you know it never even occurred to me that Harold and Kumar was pushing any kind of hollywood representation barriers. it just seemed like good movie

maybe thats how the feminists should push their agenda? they could just make good movies then people will like their ideas without even knowing it
that's exactly what happened with Mad Max Fury Road. it wasn't marketed as a feminist movie even though it had a plot with that theme, they just let the franchise and quality of the move speak for itself. same with The Force Awakens. and yeah, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle is a good movie where the diversity is a big part of the it, but it's not being super self-righteous

JediTalentAgent posted:

Pennywise needs to be one of the Youtube personalities who criticize social justice culture.
nah man you gotta appeal to kids. pennywise needs to be a teen vine celebrity

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I lost any hope in the Assassin's Creed movie when I heard they were leaving in the framing story at all, a bunch of peak mid-2000s sci-fi horseshit. Just do a goddamn movie about Ezio doing revenges on his family's enemies and being smug and charming, who gives a poo poo about boring modern day ancestors being plugged into VR chairs playing video games with their DNA and space aliens

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

8 year-old boys whose Dads never showed them the Matrix love that poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drunken Baker posted:

Also the Ben Hurr remake is flopping HARD... Good!

It only made $11.3 million on the opening weekend. For comparison, Ghostbusters 2016 made $46m on its opening weekend and that was considered disappointing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I lost any hope in the Assassin's Creed movie when I heard they were leaving in the framing story at all, a bunch of peak mid-2000s sci-fi horseshit. Just do a goddamn movie about Ezio doing revenges on his family's enemies and being smug and charming, who gives a poo poo about boring modern day ancestors being plugged into VR chairs playing video games with their DNA and space aliens

didn't they drop that stuff for the actual games? I never played assassin creed, but my nephew said that meta plot was mostly dropped in the later games

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rutibex posted:

didn't they drop that stuff for the actual games? I never played assassin creed, but my nephew said that meta plot was mostly dropped in the later games

It's still there which is pretty annoying since they're now "office job simulator 2016"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It only made $11.3 million on the opening weekend. For comparison, Ghostbusters 2016 made $46m on its opening weekend and that was considered disappointing.

Haaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aomqbq5eIB0

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Y-Hat posted:

nah man you gotta appeal to kids. pennywise needs to be a teen vine celebrity

evil red-eyed justin bieber alien luring teens into the sewers would actually be a pretty awesome movie

evil app luring children into sewers would also work

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mange Mite posted:

evil red-eyed justin bieber alien luring teens into the sewers would actually be a pretty awesome movie

evil app luring children into sewers would also work

if they could think of good original ideas they wouldnt be doing remakes

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just a reminder that caring about things is cool and good. ITT we care about films and cinema in general and most of the time we're kinda bummed out by remakes because they're slowly killing cinema.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rutibex posted:

if they could think of good original ideas they wouldnt be doing remakes

i mean both of tehse are direct derivatives of the premise behind it

if they wanted to do a *dark and twizted* remake they should have just made the clown look like a sexy androgynous twink clown luring children into bathrooms at target to really scare everyone

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I want a proper American remake of Let the Right One In where the main characters are in high school and the vampire is actually a girl and has huge knockers and like 50+ people die and there's a sub-plot about a 5000 year-old global monster hunter society after the vampire which is why she needs a new guardian who is all buff and dangerous now. Also, there's a fight with the vampire, a hunter, a werewolf and a mummy at the end that paves the way for a sequel and a cinematic universe.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The Grimace posted:

Since it's basically the same cast and crew as the Macbeth adaptation, it will at least be very pretty. But you're probably better off just watching their Macbeth adaptation because it's good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in NYC, most big-name movies are advertised on buses and subways. ben-hur was only advertised on taxis and those booths that provide free wifi, internet, and USB plugs. it was doomed to fail

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Pennywise should be an animated My LIttle Pony, Adventure Time or Steven Universe-style of character running around in the real world.

They stop him by bashing him for being drawn wrong and harass him so much that he just has to drop out of Derry for 20 some years. He's now immune to their criticism as adults because he's a slightly altered DeviantArt original character version of his previous form.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pvt.Scott posted:

I want a proper American remake of Let the Right One In where the main characters are in high school and the vampire is actually a girl and has huge knockers and like 50+ people die and there's a sub-plot about a 5000 year-old global monster hunter society after the vampire which is why she needs a new guardian who is all buff and dangerous now. Also, there's a fight with the vampire, a hunter, a werewolf and a mummy at the end that paves the way for a sequel and a cinematic universe.

wow nice frankenstein erasure fucklord

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE new Pennywise

I just now bothered wondering why a creature who was around for Elizabethan-era clowns or whatever, and kept around their ruffles and poo poo because it liked them, would live in Maine

Did Pennywise used to live in England and come over to America on the Mayflower or something?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

loquacius posted:

RE new Pennywise

I just now bothered wondering why a creature who was around for Elizabethan-era clowns or whatever, and kept around their ruffles and poo poo because it liked them, would live in Maine

Did Pennywise used to live in England and come over to America on the Mayflower or something?

hes not a clown usually a single kid saw him as a clown due to his coulrophobia he also manifested as a werewolf, a scary homeless man, and blood coming out of a drain, depending on who was experiencing it at the time. he is actually an ageless horror from space that landed on earth forever ago and got woken up and started eating kids. i guess it was a clown for two of them Georgie and his brother

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It is actually Gozer. We need an It/Ghostbusters crossover where it becomes a Stay-Puft Marshmallow Clown.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sure, but a strange amount of people seem to be strangely distressed by clowns, therefore IT has always and ever will be a clown to the general populace.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

Sure, but a strange amount of people seem to be strangely distressed by clowns, therefore IT has always and ever will be a clown to the general populace.

Years ago a guy who was a UFO researcher was claiming that people with a fear of clowns were abductees. Their fear of clowns came from their subconscious memories of these pale humanoid faces with exaggerated features.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Celluloid Sam posted:

hes not a clown usually a single kid saw him as a clown due to his coulrophobia he also manifested as a werewolf, a scary homeless man, and blood coming out of a drain, depending on who was experiencing it at the time. he is actually an ageless horror from space that landed on earth forever ago and got woken up and started eating kids. i guess it was a clown for two of them Georgie and his brother

That was in the boring book and old movie. IT was the clown movie. We gotta have that clown.

Get that clown badassed up because he needs to be front and center months before the movie is even made.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The TV movie IT scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. I remember being freaked out walking home through the woods as a kid after watching it at a friend's house, and that was in broad daylight. I like the patchwork aesthetic stuff from different eras on the new costume, but I'm not sure how well it'll work in practice. I hadn't heard that it takes place in present day which eh. Still wish Cary Fukunaga was attached because that guy rules.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

Years ago a guy who was a UFO researcher was claiming that people with a fear of clowns were abductees. Their fear of clowns came from their subconscious memories of these pale humanoid faces with exaggerated features.

Sounds right.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

JediTalentAgent posted:

that would be a cool movie

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
IT also identifies himself as Legion and other biblical demons to an old man.

IT also has a sort of brain warp over all of Derry. At the end of the novel, as IT is being killed, Derry is being destroyed by a storm.

I've read around 400 novels and IT is in my top ten favorite. For the horror stuff but also because of its themes on friendship and memory and childhood. What puts a tickle in my throat is the kids all forgetting each other, remembering when IT resurfaces, and forgetting after he's defeated again. I hope some of that makes it into the new film.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Im kinda disappointed Sausage Party is doing well

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

IT also identifies himself as Legion and other biblical demons to an old man.

IT also has a sort of brain warp over all of Derry. At the end of the novel, as IT is being killed, Derry is being destroyed by a storm.

I've read around 400 novels and IT is in my top ten favorite. For the horror stuff but also because of its themes on friendship and memory and childhood. What puts a tickle in my throat is the kids all forgetting each other, remembering when IT resurfaces, and forgetting after he's defeated again. I hope some of that makes it into the new film.

Does IT mention the demon stuff to the old man to put him at ease, in a sense? I could see a dude all into paranormal stuff or tied up in Judeo-Christian lore becoming more fascinated than frightened at that point. It would be an advanced level lure. I guess he only does kids, though. Maybe it's just habit. Or was IT saying that he was identified as Legion in the New Testament and not that he was that specific entity?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I should read IT one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gutcruncher posted:

Kung Fury was smart in that it realized that it's concept could never hold up for a full length movie. Unfortunately they didn't realize that it couldn't hold up for a half hour, either.

Edit: due to the current generations complete inability to read between the lines or understand satire, we will never again get alter blazing saddles. Once the next generation takes power, chances are all copies will be burned.

late reply but can anyone imagine Mel Brooks actually making another movie?

• Locked thread