Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GOON READING "A MODEST PROPOSAL": Heh, source your quotes much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

remember the old Current Releases feature on the front page? the cined reviewers took so much pride in being unfunny that when g0m wrote a guest review that was actually good, one of them quit in protest

The feature as a whole was shut down when the site's owners decided that each week would have a humor review by someone like g0m, Duncan, etc and the entire CR team quit in protest lol.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'll probably end up watching Ben-Hur because I'm just so desperate for another good Roman-era film that I'll give any old poo poo a watch. I want to believe...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just watch The Eagle on Netflix. It's not great but pretty good. Don't subject yourself to new Ben-Hur.

I added that to my Netflix list like 2 years ago and never actually got around to watching it, I'll have to finally check that out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Rutibex posted:

this was the attitude that lead me to watching Pompeii (2014) in theaters. don't make the same mistake i did.

the Roman Cinematic Universe desperately needs a reboot

I almost did the same thing for the same reason :whitewater: Luckily my friends outvoted me

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Barrel posted:

If your that desperate, then check out Centurion. Not great, but a decent action flick and Michael Fassbender is pretty good in it. And, as someone else recommended, check out the Eagle, which actually managed to surprise me considering some of the critical reviews it got. By the numbers, but a fun watch. But yeah, sword-and-sandal flicks aren't so hot at the moment. All of the most prominent releases in the past few years have been mediocre to bad. Ben-Hur seems entirely in the latter category. Kind of like how most swashbucklers nowadays aren't just uncommon, but are bad.

Yeah, Centurion was badass. The only part I really remember years later is Liam Cunningham's death scene and that alone still makes it cooler than 99% of action movies to come out in the last few years.

• Locked thread