Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kate McKinnon is going to be so embarrassed when someone explains to her that licking a gun is something that you're only allowed to do if you're trying to titillate men. She's going to be so mad at Paul Feig for tricking her into doing that!!

Edit: whoa, someone better tell Tank Girl as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can't be racist against white people as it requires prejudice and power.

hollywood star to a white trash yokel: "check ur privilege"

is it okay for me as an eastern european to be racist against black people because americans in general have power over me, and not vice versa

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's funny how wealthy white women are perhaps the most privileged people on earth, yet the feel a need to try and shame others for some "privilege"

Yep, that poor guy living in a trailer sure does lead a privileged life, not the millionaire actress

Life of privilege, according to wealthy Americans:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh man I want some of that Salami.

Visit your local horse farm and ask for Boris.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Are you kidding me? WHO CAN I KILL TO DESTROY THIS

Also amazingly the 2016 version is less progressive / sexually accepting than the original?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THISI IOS NOT OKAY, LET ME START A BLOG TO EXPLAIN WHY

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress YOU MOTHERFUCKRE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

I heard Tim Curry had a stroke.

Somehow that happened before this piece of loving garbage

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought the glee attempt at Rocky Horror would be the worst trauma I would have to ever endure, but boy, I was loving wrong

let me spam this thread a bit more to let my outrage be known

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

natetimm posted:

It was called Prometheus.

Uh, they are currently making the actual Alien remake or prequel or something.

(Prometheus was a good movie. fight me)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BillmasterCozb posted:

at fifteen seconds..IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE THE REPLACEMENT FOR TIM CURRY??? AAAAAAAGH

Yes, replacing a transexual character with a woman is progressive now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Al Cowens posted:

Frank N Furter is considered a problematic portrayal these days

How will they deal with Dr- Scott being an ableist minstrel show character? And Rocky's sexual consent issues?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Android Bicyclist posted:

Maybe not a total paradigm shift but likely even more reboots/sequels. With movies costing more every year sticking with an existing IP guarantees an existing fan base.

I'm fascinated with how many Chinese film production companies are popping up in this summer's films. Star Trek, the latest Independence Day, and I believe the latest TMNT movie has Chinese backers. It's going to be fun seeing their influence on our entertainment the next couple years.

how about making cheaper movies

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZW47ntEYI

Even super grumpen grote people say GB2016 isn't an awful movie. I don't understand, how can it be doing so bad? Is it really due to the horrible marketing it got in the form of trailers and Feig's whining?

The CineD is pretty much the only place online where people seem to be responding positively at all, and even those clowns tend to inadvertently drat the film with faint praise.

Also I think nobody outside the US + Canada gives a flying gently caress about Ghostbusters in general, so greenlighting it at all was probably a pretty bad move, fiscally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bloodysabbath posted:

So, despite the face saving PR statements and Tumblr math being used to say otherwise, there's no way this film can be considered anything but a failure by those metrics, right? I don't doubt they'll keep making GB stuff of some kind but Feig and co. have to be out.

Maybe it's been the ol' New Coke / Coke Classic ploy all along :tinfoil:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think GB is MAYBE going to have some legs for a while if only because it feels like the word of mouth might end up being that, despite fart jokes, dick blasting, sexy Kevin, and ghostboobs, it's a fairly non-sexualized film that you can take the kids to and not worry about anything.

That sounds like that's quite a bit, but by comparison there's no horny DanaZuul, no BJ ghost scene, no really scantly clad women moments, no bubbled wrap Gozer. It's cartoonish as to almost be inoffensive. I noticed a LOT of families in my screening today.

The DVD edit feels like it's got to be better, though, because there's so many sudden movements in the plot that it feels like a lot of this film is missing.

It has already lost its legs, though. Has there ever been an example of a blockbuster film re-bounding after an initial failure to bring back its budget later?

It's not going to be a disaster like Carter or Gods of Egypt, but very few things are. It's going to be a somewhat underperforming film, maybe on par with Terminator Salvation (barely pay for studio costs, leads to scrapping the franchise), maybe a bit worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KiteAuraan posted:

I liked it as much as the original. It was a movie. I watched it. I remember nothing about it and have no feelings about it either way.

You sound like a fun guy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Citizen Kane bombed on its first release. :v: (William Randolph Hearst was doing everything in his power to bury the film so there was a really good reason it failed, but still.)

Orson Welles actually wanted to use Hearst's despotism against him - he asked the studio to rent circus tents and take the movie on a travelling tour of America, marketing the screenings with slogans like "showing the film they don't want you to see". He argued that people would love the air of exclusivity and scandal surrounding the movie, and would flock to see it everywhere it would turn up - thus Hearst would have provided the best possible advertising campaign imaginable. But the studio chickened out.

Unrelated to anything, but it's an interesting bit of movie history.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Don Tacorleone posted:

This is great, to be honest

Fat acceptance is working, and so is feminism and anti ageism, all beaten by Melissa Mcarthy

Good for her

The result of progressive movements is an exclusive clique of wealthy people writing each other blank checks with somebody else's money.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Celluloid Sam posted:

remember that time seth macfarlane almost was on the plane that hit the twin towers on 9/11?

ya, then the hijackers said he was too faggy to join their crew after all, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ork of Fiction posted:

They make enough money to keep the lights on, but their stock tanked because their potential for growth is basically nil and their ability to monetize the service is really limited.

Pretty sure they are actually bleeding money like crazy, and are only able to stay alive because of investors who believe the company will eventually come up with a way to monetize its service.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

Years ago a guy who was a UFO researcher was claiming that people with a fear of clowns were abductees. Their fear of clowns came from their subconscious memories of these pale humanoid faces with exaggerated features.

Sounds right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Can you make them reliably more profitable than PG-13 movies? No? Then lay back and take it baby.

I don't need to see those movies in theatres... But whatever happened to the adult horror exploitation direct to video genre? Has it been swallowed by the trend of "AAA picture or nothing"? Is there currently no place for B movies, because even those are deemed too risky by major studios, and the cost of accessing the market as an independent movie producer is too high, with too low returns to keep the seedy movie industry going?

• Locked thread