Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a ton of hilari-bad stories of Hollywood people taking points on a film (getting paid on the 'profits' of a film rather than on the gross) and getting hosed over when the film makes a ton of money at the box office but because of lovely Hollywood accounting the film officially lost money so they never get paid out.

Peter Michael Goetz famously got a royalties cheque for 3c for the 1986 film King Kong Lives. Return of the Jedi reportedly had production costs of $32.5 million and had a domestic box office of $309 million and a worldwide gross of $572 million (not to mention untold millions in home video and merchandise sales) but for decades afterwards they kept sending letters to Darth Vader actor David Prowse saying "Sorry, the film still hasn't come into profit so we can't pay you any residuals yet."

the author of forrest gump wouldn't allow them to adapt the sequel cuz he got a cut of the net and despite making oodles of money it somehow finished with a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. ivory tower making GBS threads on people(mra shitheads or not) is a loving terrible way to get support, especialy when its a meh remake. talking down/shaming people over realy dumb poo poo is retarded. parts of the left should have learned this by now, especially since the moral majority loving made it an art form. if the new left were smart, they wouldnt try to loving emulate them.

that's what bugs me as a feminist and lefty is them making this the hill to die on. most of the people who think the movie is mediocre or bad aren't mras, they're people with taste. they're playing pretty much right into the mras hands when they start pretending that the original movie wasn't that funny or that this movie is way funnier they just look pathetic cuz everyone knows that can't be true.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is there any part of the new ghostbusters that could be construed as scary? the library, fridge, and chair scene are all scary in the first movie.

it seems way too bright and comical to pull off any horror elements.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how it turned out leslie jones was the least bad part of the movie despite her looking like the worst part in the trailers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

I could have done without the yelling. She was the most normal and natural character though.

it's so weird how they don't just let a scene be funny on its own. the big dragon ghost scene coulda been funny if she just said "nah i'm tired i'm gonna go home" but then she has to keep talking. every scene is like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Internaut! posted:

guys listen up, if you think twitter applies their rules preferentially based on political leanings, you are "alt right" according to noted something awful sadbrains crows beak because I guess thats quicker than typing "boogeyman"

they should do that tho. it'd be cool if all media worked that way so that people weren't slammed with half-truths and myths and actually got informed about things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how did she wait 30 years when this all time great action movie moment existed the year she was born??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can't be racist against white people as it requires prejudice and power.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when they remake jaws there will be riots in the streets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jaws was already female as they grow larger than males.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

more like the scared bitch project.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

I liked it as much as the original. It was a movie. I watched it. I remember nothing about it and have no feelings about it either way.

what.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

I don't really care for Ghostbusters. It's okay, I don't dislike it, but I don't really "get" it.

it must be awful going through life without a sense of humor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Troy Queef posted:

apparently they're doing it, and doing that honor is going to be Lin-Manuel Miranda.

if you don't know who he is, he gave us that musical :abuela: referenced in her nom speech. you know, the one with the $1,500 tickets.

the one that sucks poo poo but the media has been fellating for months.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only song that is ok in the entire thing is cabinet battle 1 (and it's pretty much just because of the track/beat) and i never see that brought up as one of the great songs in any article about the play so i know i'm right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

I didn't even know it existed until today.

how is this possible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

I don't read lovely click bait tastemaker sites? My friends have some modicum of taste and good sense? I'm not sure, really.

it's pretty much everywhere not just click bait tastemaker sites. you're on the internet, you should've picked it up via pop culture osmosis.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

Isn't he proclaimed as some genius writer? How so, when he basically just tells people to improv on camera?

Never seen Freaks & Geeks, was that a heavily scripted masterpiece or something?

it was really good and it's criminal it was canceled.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Don Tacorleone posted:

gently caress you Kung Fury owns

It's a bit too long though, even at 30 minutes

kung fury is loving terrible and turbo kid shoulda got all the internet hype instead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda just gone full on old school justice league cartoon and 60s batman and poo poo. it'd be fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the original is way better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnzYG0ZkrXg

edit: oops already posted

also you tards need to not defend kung fury. it was bad. and was trying to do 80s poo poo very obviously.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Don Tacorleone posted:

There's nothing to explain you autist

a kung fu cop flips cars and time travels to the past via surfing virtual reality and fights karate hitler

It's a silly parody mashup of 80's action taken to the extreme (as imagined by modern millenials) not a respectful homage because gently caress the 80's they sucked

"Boohoo they didn't get the tracking errors right" gently caress vcrs man nobody cares

uhh no

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you don't understand what parody means.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they were both escaped lunatics and had killed the original grandparents.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

on top of not getting why he was bozo + ronald mcdonald, they're also not setting the movie in the right time periods.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a being from beyond space and time that crash landed in a meteor when the earth was new and awoke once humans started inhabiting the area. it wakes every so often to feed - fear makes us taste better and children are easiest to scare. it takes the form of a clown to lure children, it can shapeshift into anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Excuse you but it's the clown movie. Did you not see how badass and scary and grimdark the clown looks? Do we need to market it more? Pennywise merchandise months before the movie is even done? Maybe entire trailers based around the clown.

IT was the clown movie, we gotta remake it with the clown. I don't want to hear none of this shapeshift or from beyond billions of years bullshit. That clown is badass. No way is our focus on small details because they are memorable going to make the entire thing terrible.

- Hollywood Executive

I've been trying to think what catchphrases IT has and it's mostly "We all float down here" so expect that to some sick music while the clown is leading a demon army or something equally as idiotic.

they could take AND YOU ARE NEXT from

“I am eternal, child. I am the eater of worlds, and of children. And you are next!”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's because when an adult sees a werewolf or a giant bird they don't think it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does IT mention the demon stuff to the old man to put him at ease, in a sense? I could see a dude all into paranormal stuff or tied up in Judeo-Christian lore becoming more fascinated than frightened at that point. It would be an advanced level lure. I guess he only does kids, though.

the very first kill when it wakes in the 80s is an adult (a gay guy thrown off a bridge by homophobes).

• Locked thread