Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The guardian said the new ghostbusters was like star wars 7 which i assume means disappointing and forgettable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The only remake lena should be in is Hard Candy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Genesplicer, can I please re-open my thread? I promise we're just going to poo poo on the reboot and nothing else...also I want to overtake the CD thread at this point.

Forget it, jr. Its gibbis town

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dosney fired the rogue one director because he wanted to make it interesting

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I like how people are trying to say the original ghostbusters wasnt good

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was caddyshack 80s or 70s

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I dint think lydias dad is allowed in movies anymore

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Like anyone would admit defeat

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ghostbusters-course-45m-911348

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

And next week is star trek beyond which also looks like it'll suck. But you know, a lovely star trek movie really makes it more like the rest of the star trek movies so

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Armond White is not impressed

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437888/ghostbusters-cafe-society-thats-not-who-we-are

Armond White posted:

That’s not who we are,” a familiar presidential entreaty, came to mind after watching Woody Allen’s Café Society and the new Ghostbusters. Each film offers a comical view of American types, but enjoyment may depend on whether one feels the characters are credible. They aren’t. The Jewish-Americans of Café Society recall Allen’s boilerplate self-deprecation, while Ghostbusters has been rebooted, mostly with Saturday Night Live performers as urban caricatures. The gimmick in each film is to appease the current diversity craze.

These failed attempts to find humor in social identity (using such contrivances as Café Society’s Jewish-run amusement industries or Ghostbusters’ exaggerated personal peculiarities and trafficking in the supernatural) follow the president’s frequent allusions to Americans’ basic nature — always a non-specific, cure-all remedy to the latest social crisis. Politicians know such distraction is demagoguery; Hollywood calls it entertainment. Allen’s 1930s characters fumble with issues of prosperity, infidelity, and murder, while the contemporary lady ghostbusters use femininity to laugh off literal manifestations of evil. They’re all superficial constructs. Each movie is an exercise in moral evasion — entertainment as brainwashing.

Let’s analyze this by looking specifically at two contrasting portrayals: Leslie Jones’s in Ghostbusters and Blake Lively’s in Café Society. Black actress Jones and white actress Lively both play minor characters, yet they can be seen to represent who we, as a nation, think we are: the working-class black woman being the least among us in terms of plot significance and the leisure-class white woman being the most among us in terms of social privilege. Jones’s Patty Tolan is the friendliest subway-booth clerk in New York City history. She lacks the education of the three white ghostbusters, who unite as professionals of paranormal science, but she has the gumption to join up out of the same fealty known from black domestics in early Hollywood films. Jones is the tallest of all the Ghostbusters actresses (the others being Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, and Kate McKinnon), and at 48 years old she also suggests the longest career struggle, now finally receiving late acceptance from the showbiz mainstream. (For sentient viewers, this social fact is not unrelated to the actual role of Patty.) What appears “progressive” about Jones’s casting is American business-as-usual: Patty is described as the niece of the character that black actor Ernie Hudson portrayed as an aide to the white leads, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis, in the original 1984 Ghostbusters. Leslie Jones in “Ghostbusters”Leslie Jones in “Ghostbusters”

A feminist Gunga Din, Jones’s Patty makes it possible for the SNL white pukka sahibs to feel good about repeating Ghostbusters’ Eighties line-up — as if exhibiting generous social equality. That’s how escapist entertainment works: It disguises Hollywood’s entrenched biased hegemony as happily inclusive fun for all. Director Paul Feig, who saw no need to diversify the cast of his deplorable but lucrative Bridesmaids, perpetuates the same ol’ Ghostbuster tokenism. His cast of romantic dingaling (Wiig), plus-size clown (McCarthy), butch brainiac (McKinnon), and black sidekick (Jones) presumes to update the original film’s nonsense by virtue of representing Obama-era parity (which includes Chris Hemsworth as an unfunny beefcake version of Old Hollywood cheesecake), but Feig forgets that Reagan-era liberals felt no need to demonstrate equality; enjoying white privilege showed who they were, and filmgoers laughed while acquiescing.

Similar cultural stagnation occurs in Café Society. Woody Allen celebrates the vaunted era of New York’s segregated 1930s nightlife — and its West Coast counterpart in Hollywood. The story of Bobby Stern (Jesse Eisenberg), the brother of a New York gangster and nephew of a high-powered Hollywood agent, centers on his falling in love with non-Jewish women — a Los Angeles secretary, Vonnie (Kristen Stewart), and an East Coast divorcee, Veronica (Blake Lively). But Allen glosses over the cross-ethnic infatuations as well as instances of ethnically restricted businesses. (The décor of Bobby’s nightclub evokes the infamously segregated El Morocco.) Like Feig in Ghostbusters, Allen uses comedy to avoid serious contemplation of the social inequities that accompany class advancement. (Café Society’s unoriginal dialogue, including Allen’s mumbly, gravelly narration, sounds hackneyed. It’s worse when Allen trots out his usual harangue that life is “meaningless.”)

Blake Lively in “Café Society”Blake Lively in “Café Society” Allen satirizes Jewish working-class ambition, paranoia, and class pretenses, whether in the luxe of Hollywood studios or the grime of New York racketeering. He romanticizes go-getter Bobby by imitating those Great Gatsby interpretations that read Jay Gatsby as Jewish. But while Allen emphasizes ethnic difference (mocking Bobby and family for their non-Orthodox behavior and occasional reversion to Yiddish-speaking type) he avoids exploring it. That Allen is no ethnicity-buster becomes clear when Lively enters the film. She’s a counterpart to the dark-haired Vonnie, yet she personifies a blonde, blue-eyed shiksa. “I think Jews are exotic,” Veronica tells Bobby, adding “I wouldn’t mind if you had horns.”

While parodying one-way racism, Allen’s shallow portrayal of Stern’s cross-cultural attraction refuses to acknowledge it as a complex part of “who we are.” The racist standards of film-industry practices go unexamined — both in Lively’s WASPy idealization and in the blonde hooker whom Stern rejects when he realizes she’s Jewish. The way Allen lingers on close-ups of WASP love-objects Vonnie and Veronica correlates with Feig’s using Jones’s stereotypical rambunctious black as comic relief in Ghostbusters.

Both films offer empty characterizations with superficial ethnic identities. The accusation lodged against Bobby’s uncle (“He’s not a [real] Jewish man!”) is surprisingly blunt given Café Society’s sentimental sociology. Similarly, in Ghostbusters, the peripheral status Patty inherits from her uncle is unexpectedly sentimentalized as a social advance. More Movies The Push to ‘Reimagine’ Classic Characters The Mid-Year Reckoning The Notorious BFG Hollywood’s pretense about “who we are” can be seen in the contrast between Lively and Jones — the one’s Caucasian elegance and the other’s comical blackness. Each film exemplifies modern Hollywood’s social complacency and lazy imagination. That also explains why Ghostbusters reduces ideas about the supernatural to 3D F/X gimmickry and Café Society wastes the great cinematographer Vittorio Storaro, who provides color schemes similar to those in his legendary Bertolucci films (The Conformist, 1900, Little Buddha), but without dramatic vibrancy, without vision.

Allen doesn’t bother fleshing out characters in Café Society. They’re concepts still stuck in his head. Feig plays off bogus feminism (women who joke about their “cracks”) as before. These are identity-crisis movies — revealing who the filmmakers really are while pandering to our expectations about ourselves.

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 16, 2016

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Armond White seems to dislike nerd culture and hes right to say that its garbage

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

so what are the problems with the new star trek

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I take it back, hes not another adam sandled, hes anoth M Night Shamalayan.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

lmao if you want a good laugh go look at the ghostbuster thread in CineD and see how all the autists are arguing that it is a good movie and everyone else on earth are just plebs who can't understand

even SMG?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

thats the carmel mochacchito guy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

hitler also wouldn't have liked the new ghostbusters

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The toys for the cartoon were almost reused ninja turtles toys

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

does sony control vox and vice and so on because some of this poo poo might be their fault

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

can we be done with the culture war or are sites built on clickbait too invested in keeping it going

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So star trek is this friday which will probably be no 1. Then what, suicide squad which could go either way

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836?utm_source=twitter

In a recent interview with THR, Rothman insisted the online bashing was "the greatest thing that ever happened. Are you kidding me? We’re in the national debate, thank you. Can we please get some more haters to say stupid things?"

At the same time, Sony made sure to court males in its marketing campaign, creating special promos that aired during the NBA Finals on ABC between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors.

It's impossible to determine whether the naysayers hurt the movie because the opening weekend demographics were inconclusive. Men didn't exactly stay away, but women didn't show up in compensatory numbers either.

Wowzers

Also forgot about the new ice age. Thatll kill it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

eric posted:

Well there you go you loving MRAs are you happy now?

Ya

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has patton weighed in

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Well it was the first fart joke I've laughed at in years so there's that.
Why do you creeps keep calling people social progressives?
Also how do you MRA types get through life having a problem with women?, I mean a normal bigot probably doesn't have to deal with people who are more brown than them or foreign or like dick all that often but you have to talk and be emotionally attached to women everyday so it's kinda nuts to be all weird about them.

Oh and you fuckwits have ruined my childhood memories of Ghostbusters, god drat all I had to do was think of those movies or the cartoon or the dumb toys and I'd get a happy feeling, now if i think of them I end of thinking of you loving weirdos and how there's people that want those uppity bitches in their place even nowadays and it just makes me pissed off and depressed.
So nice one dickheads...

:owned:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Didnt they shelve f42

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Boy when do the trump hillary debates start

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the RLM half in the bag review does raise an interesting point about sony being pathetically determined to have a franchise and their perchant for stuffing movies with overt product placement

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

also the chinese have no taste so hollywood can shovel poo poo onto them and make money

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why did milo get involved

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

There a reason milo went after leslie jones?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

idk milo may have gone too far this time. not that that would stop his followers

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Having a twitter account really seems like a bad idea with no postive side

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The timeline of gb2016 kinda follows the same path the devil may cry reboot followed a few years back.

-new game in franchise with diehard fans announced
-its not what they wanted and they are angry
-months of articles and dev posts making GBS threads on the original games and fans
-comes out, is mediocre and nobody new buys it and neither do the old fans
-more articles ranting at the fans

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Squaresoft was right, life is strange

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Ahaha now dan ackroyd is getting involved too

What a time to be alive

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Germstore posted:

That was Sasheer Zamata.

The genie from kings quest 6?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dan should a sincere interest in discussion and being corrected and mods were like BAN AND PROBATE FOR 100,0O0 HOURS

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Comic Tick is still best

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I dont think american liberals even know what being left wing means anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Smg hasnt weighed in on gb2016 so i dont know what to think but i get the feeling all these trash sites might be full of poo poo

• Locked thread