Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of this opinion?
No you are wrong. Evil is good.
Correct
Correct except we SHOULD nuke it
Fats don't deserve to have opinions
View Results

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

WELCOME TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!

I love the original caption on this btw. "Just the pope hanging out in front of a statue of Jesus." :shrug:

Some papal sculptor just utterly nailed the soul of Pius XII in this sculpture. Note the complete lack of one.

Anyway we all know about every single catholic priest's devotion to little boys but that's just the tip of the iceburg. Pick a century and I'll give you horrors to melt your loving brain. The whole mess is one giant pile of atrocities and utter smallmindedness/selfishness going back nearly 2000 loving years. The vatican should be carefully sacked (too much hidden history in there for a nuke unfortunately) and all remaining non-monastic clergy monitored, merely as a housekeeping measure for the good of all mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The Catholics are Okay in my book. They keep the poors from uprising.

To be fair I would be an evil overlord if given the power to do so. It would be for your own good. I just don't like when OTHER people do it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Iron Prince posted:

i came here for the jesus alcohol

This is the catholic church thread. We have plenty of it. Would you care for a boy and some grapes with your jesuswine?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The Tao Jones posted:

The Catholics I've met have been an odd bunch. Their intricate knowledge of one of the most complex and prohibitive moral codes of any Christian sect has been exceeded only by their indifference about following it to even the slightest degree.

Hahahaha. I don't blame the laity though. There is a human need to believe. It tickles brainparts. They've just been duped. The evil is in Rome. Those are the people who have been cynically manipulating generations for their own profit. Those are the ones most responsible for shielding pedophiles from justice. It is them who inherited the responsibility for the genocides and inquisitions and robber-popes.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Altair Knight posted:

Aw your hate crusade. lol

I think they stink and I made thred about it. Feel free to gently caress around like everyone else is doing, or not! :)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Chinatown posted:

they (humans) should probably burn the pope alive, imho

I think the current pope is kinda cool though? He's complict sure but as far as I'm aware he hasn't been accused of skullfucking any children and he's actually kinda trying to unfuck the poor, which goes to show that anything truly can happen. Be warned you might one day accidentally fart out a unicorn.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

mdm posted:

robber-pope is a great hyphenated word

I'm almost sure the german unhyphenated form sounds cooler but I am too lazy to google it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nm it doesn't sound good in german. It sounds like a light beer.

naem posted:

They have the absolute best artwork, like all of it

That's why I say no nukes.

Dads Dip Cup posted:

they built some really fuckin rad cathedrals and poo poo, if I were Dracula I would definitely squat in one and fix the place up real nice when nobody's looking

I'm not sure if they meant that poo poo to look evil, or if the notion that the architecture looks evil has developed in response to the harm wraught by the church. The end result is the same though.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Yeah time to auction the relics.

It BELONGS in a MUSEUM.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Sekenr posted:

I kinda like the pics in the OP, so I cast my vote in favour of praise the pope, burn the OP

A great thing about hating catholics in texas: I'm armed and so are three neighbors within easy screaming my rear end off distance, and we all tight enough that they will come out shooting. Go ahead. Do an inquisition on me. TRY ME.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hmm it's morning now and I just checked again but the catholic church is still literally the devil. Weird.

https://youtu.be/bctivboqvKo

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 21, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I grew up in an Italian and Irish Catholic family and to this date I still kind of dislike White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. This is helped by the fact that I live down south and down here they're mostly evangelical southern Baptist loonies. I think the Catholic Church has a terrible hosed up history and Martin Luther had some valid complaints, but this is the modern day and I think megachurch cults are way worse than the papacy. Catholics are the lesser of two evils in my book

I'll grant you that megachurches are godawful and even the southern baptists at large have major issues. Catholicism doesn't have a monopoly on evil. What it does have is a structural corruption that none of the protestant churches can even hold a candle to. Evangelicals are crazy but they aren't covering up a worldwide pedophilia ring. Hell even scientologists can't indoctrinate, murder, and gently caress with peoples' lives fast enough to keep up, if only because there aren't enough of them.

I understand you'd like to avert your eyes to the sins of the faith you were born into, but goddamn dude. It is a nightmarish contraption operating on the backs of drat near enslaved generations.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Drink Cheerwine posted:

12th century BC

The century in which the great queen spider was first cloaked in flesh upon this earth.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

InterFaced posted:

My mom is a total beta who still goes to church and their priest just died. She's all sad telling me how they're having trouble finding a new one and I'm trying not to laugh about it.

:unsmith:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

But surely he inherited the crusades??

(btw your great great grandfather was a murderer please report to prison)

Family != a hidebound and persistant organization like the vatican. Being part of a family does not grant the same level of culpability for that organization's actions as does being a cardinal or what have you, a member of the decision making organs of the church.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Nerds ought to like Catholicism because it's the religion most likely to exist if Warhammer was real

True~

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tricky D posted:

Remember when investigative journalists discovered that the church was systematically shuffling around priests who sexually assaulted boys and paying off the victim's families for their silence thereby causing an uproar in the catholic community, reform throughout the church, and justice for the victims.

???????????

????????

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Zahgaegun posted:

How fat are you, exactly? I need to know before I read your screeds.

I'm actually 5 10 and 120 pounds soaking wet but cellulite sam and a few others keep saying I'm fat. :(

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

I grew up with my mom being Southern Baptist and my dad being Catholic.

Anyone bitching about Catholicism being evil in the modern era has no idea what the puritanical and evangelical protestants are like.

It's been said in this thread before but when you are talking about the laypeople, yeah there are much worse religions. But the leadership of the catholic church is on this whole other level of being evil that no other church leadership can touch if only because they have the largest apparatus to play with.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

Wicca was recently discovered to be an acronym the whole time (White intolerable Chubby Chick Association)

*Nods so vigorously, hat falls off*

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I AM THE TOILET posted:

A church service where the crucifixion of Jesus starts out flaccid and by the end he's got a full on donger

And then at the end of the service he functions as a big ole margarita dispenser margaritaville style. It would be cool and make WAY more sense than the wine thing.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If this thread is going to be stickied can we at least get the spelling in the OP corrected? Seeing "litterally" hanging around the top of the page is making my brain itch.

It's intentional. The occasional gbs misspelling indicates that I am too cool for school while simultaneously giving me the pleasure of listening to autists wail. As I said before, the vatican doesn't have a monopoly on evil.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

JFairfax posted:

I like this thread

Thanks! I'm quite excited it has been stickied. Not only does this enhance my personal gbs prestige, but I'm also glad to be able to get the word out that the people in the vatican are all scum and as close to personified evil as exists in today's world!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Drink Cheerwine posted:

22nd century AD

Pope Treilhard II is murdered and replaced by antipope/antichrist Lenar Hoyt, who then crowns himself Julius IV. Julius immediately begins offering the alien symbiotes found on Hyperion as a final sacrament that can ensure near-eternal physical life. Over the next few hundred years, the newly reborn church and it's Pax spread to nearly all of humanity under the leadership of their constantly dying and reborn leader. The depths of his treachery and the deceit of the symbiotes is not known until later, of course.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

tenspott posted:

Lol you're a retard. The United States has literally created a criminal client state in the desert for Jews to fulfill the bizarre fantasies of psychotic evangelicals yearning for the Apocalypse.

Oh christ a diehard anti-israel person. As bad as Israel can be to certain people, it is still not literally a worldwide pedophilia ring. It hasn't taken peoples' money on knowingly false pretenses for generations. It hasn't stashed god knows how much art and history as though the history of the human race belongs to it. It may torture and kill like the catholic church has done, but there is a mismatch of scale because Israel is new and small compared to the catholic dominion.

Yeah ok israel bad whatever. Niggas STILL can't hold a loving candle.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Sorry dude, I think your racist against priests

Yeah I admit it. I dislike sexually active pedophiles. :colbert: Also unlike the first, this second isn't true of all priests, I'm sure that many are true believers or want to be; but I also dislike people who cynically use another's need for faith against them.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

whoflungpoop posted:

They were very nice

DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU. Clergy are trained to seem kindly. But a smile in front doesn't preclude a dagger behind the back.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The cool thing about the current pope is that he's not from the cranky, corrupt, old italian fucks club that rules the vatican. That and he has more than lip service when it comes to helping the poor.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

jBrereton posted:

I dunno looks to me like there are still a lot of gold plated churches and also poor people in the world.

You know that the catholics are lying and that the pope isn't really magic, right? He doesn't get to just snap his fingers and make waterfalls/institutional inertia start flowing backwards.

The dude is only human. Complaining about him not having fed all the world hungry yet at this juncture is like the people who were complaining that obama hadn't fulfilled his campaign promises, 14 minutes after he was sworn in.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

jBrereton posted:

"Donators over $50 will get a guaranteed (signed by the pope!) lesser absolution from sins".

That's evil though. Selling absolutions is one of those cynical plays on faith I was talking about. Would you buy one of those? If so I have a permanent get your dick sucked anytime voucher on sale for 5k.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The 20th and 21st are what we've been talking about so I won't reiterate myself but for two words: boy rear end.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

drat could he possibly have sucked dick any sloppier?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Grew up Catholic, went to mass every week, was altar boy for a while, did the whole confirmation thing, continued to go to mass for a while until I realized that I wasn't really getting anything out of it l

Whoa so you didn't even get molested a little? You just did alterboy scutwork.... For free? WTF. Did you feel insulted? I think I would have felt insulted. It's like, drat, I know I have a flat rear end but priests are loving incorrigible.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

hemophilia posted:

I've thought about going through the trouble of becoming catholic, but what is the path to conversion like? I have real faith but my exposure to protestantism makes me sick and pope francis is a paragon right up there with how i define a good exercise of faith. the jesuits are something that just don't have a parallel in the american protestant world, nobody in these churches places any value on knowledge

You have to have some solid jesus and some liquid jesus and since all men are of god, some blood and a few skulls will do fine. Take those to your local bishop. Don't forget to bring money of course. Checks or cards are fine too, the church takes paper or plastic.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

hemophilia posted:

yeah the church has an ugly past but Francis seems to be the antithesis of what you all are bitching about. It's like whining about the crimes of nations, which the Vatican has rarely ever risen to be worse than.

The poo poo is not all in the past. Some of the rape and coersion and corruption is ongoing. This is what ratzinger resigned over. Francis is one man and as neat as I think he is, he's not going to be able to completely overcome the institutional inertia of the vatican.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

hemophilia posted:

He's been really hard at work shitcanning and shuffling around people as he can. The pope is a supreme executive in vatican and catholic affairs religious and governmental, and he's in a situation where being just one man means a lot more than it does in other walks of life. Hope this helps.

Tougher popes than him have been murdered for loving with the pie too much. I don't think that's what is going to happen this time around, but it puts in perspective the fact that there are limits to a single pope's control over the vatican.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

this is blasphemy

By religious standards I'm guilty of far worse. I reject the existence of hell for instance, which is some pretty hardcore heresy. Oh also I reject the divinity of christ (all humans are equally gifted with the spark) so I'm even worse than a blaspheming heretic, I'm literally a nonbeliever.

If catholics are right about afterlife stuff I am loving boned. No amount of saint karma would save me from the trapdoor. But their poo poo is made up so I'm not scared.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

is this the final boss of the matrix??!

Pius XII, ww2 pope. Alternately praised for talking some nice game about what happened to Jews and "hay we should be peaceful and loving" and reviled for doing nothing about it + playing nice with nazis.

When you look into the statue's eyes, you will find only emptiness behind the glasses. That is intentional.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Gatekeeper posted:

"The Catholic Church is bad, and as proof I submit to you this: the coolest fuckin picture"
- the OP

"We are good and you should listen to our moral guidance."

-from in front of a wh40k jesus statue, The Vatican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Zippy the Bummer posted:

The Vatican harbored hundreds of Jews within its walls during the war, and hid thousands more in various safehouses scattered in and around Rome, I wouldn't call that "doing nothing" or whatever

Jews harbored while pius was playing hopscotch with hitler.

• Locked thread