Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Is there a good source of cotton wool or do I just need to get lucky finding some cotton plants out in the infinite universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted:

I, too, am finding myself enjoying the game, much to my surprise, though it's kind of a slow roll in getting your ship up and running, plus I guess there's fuel you'll have to mine if you want to leave your home system. Hopefully that poo poo's everywhere (it's not going to be everywhere).

Erchius fuel can be found in both crystal and liquid form on airless moons just about everywhere. Of course there's a horrible monster that will try to kill you for mining starship fuel. You can also buy fuel at the outpost.

Where/When do you get to upgrade your ship? My one-room space trailer is getting awfully cramped.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Sedisp posted:

So how do I upgrade my ship?

You need to recruit at least two crew members to get a license that allows the first upgrade. There are three ways (that I know of) to get crew:
1. Do random quests for NPCs, sometimes they'll offer to join your crew after you finish the quest. I've had this happen exactly once after doing ~25 quests.
2. Random quests will sometimes have you kill a specific named bandit, I've read it's possible for the bandit to surrender and offer to join your crew. I have yet to see this happen.
3. Do the quest at the outpost to defeat Dreadwing. Afterward you can purchase penguin mercenaries for 5000 pixels each.

Once you have the license, just talk to the vehicle merchant at the outpost.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 24, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I like how shooting a rocket directly into an enemy launches them toward me instead of away from me.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Kickstarter backers aren't howling for blood with how they usually act. I seem to remember the multiplayer being a big deal.

It helps that CA was pretty straightforward about why he was leaving multiplayer out. He basically said the single player game was finished and he could either release that right away or delay the game for an unknown number of months while he tried to get multiplayer working. We'd be waiting just as long for multiplayer either way, but at least this way we have the single player version in the meantime.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'm genuinely curious to hear Tiy's thoughts on what he learned from Stardew.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I guess some people find a niche where they get attention and praise for something so they get territorial and try to push out other people who might compete for that attention. I'd be mad on I Said No's behalf, but it's loving Starbound, so might as well let that dumb bastard have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

question for you guys:

did you actually like the matter manipulator or would you prefer a Minecraft style thing where most tasks had a dedicated tool (i.e. laser miners, drills, chainsaws, etc)

on one hand, the MM was convenient but on the other, it didn't really feel like there was anything to discover when you only ever used one tool for everything no matter how productive you were being

currently in our design we're doing the dedicated tool approach because I really hated how the MM felt. when i think of sci fi mining i think of big laser miners and drills, not a magic handheld gun that makes pickaxe sounds

Late response to this, but like a lot of folks I also did not like the matter manipulator as a mining tool or other item destruction/removal tool. However, I very much did like it as an item placement tool. Whether it was building a house or just plopping down a slope of dirt to get up a cliff it was easy and convenient to use. I especially liked being able to use the left and right mouse buttons to smoothly switch between placing material in the foreground or background.