Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if the guy is melting down into deconstructions of something only having seen like 40% of it he's either too dense to understand it or is just an opinion hipster that needs the attention that comes with disagreeing with everyone

Eh he's not really melting down and is actually being kind of nice about his totally wrong opinion and apologized for his poo poo posts. That's not so bad.

I also was totally into the show by halfway through the first episode Calico, so the rest might not be for you. I definitely disagree with the weird pretend hulk dude but I'm thinking about Steve's hair and Dustin and so I'm totally at peace with the world. Namaste...or should I say naMYSTERYte?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is general consensus the show emulates what it's going for better/worse than Super 8? I never saw that movie but it was pretty divisive when it came out

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if the guy is melting down into deconstructions of something only having seen like 40% of it he's either too dense to understand it or is just an opinion hipster that needs the attention that comes with disagreeing with everyone

yeah you're right, if you're watching a show and don't like it it's best to spend your time watching the whole thing just to be sure you're not, and if you do stop watching it you better not ever wonder why you didn't enjoy it

you're being a div mate!

VVV: do you think they're similar enough to fairly compare?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Is general consensus the show emulates what it's going for better/worse than Super 8? I never saw that movie but it was pretty devisive when it came out

this show is pretty good whereas super 8 was complete garbage

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Calico Heart posted:

you're being a div mate!

we don't speak limey here, this is america

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Calico Heart posted:

Is general consensus the show emulates what it's going for better/worse than Super 8? I never saw that movie but it was pretty divisive when it came out
Have you considered watching things and forming opinions on your own?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

we don't speak limey here, this is america

you're being a div bro!

Aralan posted:

Have you considered watching things and forming opinions on your own?

now you've told me to i am

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I liked Super 8 and I dont understand the hate it gets on this forum :shrug:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
sorry, im not going to read your posts but spend 10x the amount of time it would take to read them complaining about them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Basticle posted:

I liked Super 8 and I dont understand the hate it gets on this forum :shrug:

I don't remember much about it other than the ending was extremely trite and hacky

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
I thought Super 8 was pretty dece but actually I think I might be mixing up the ending of that movie with the one from the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost barhopping flick. End Of the World? I can't remember. They both had aliens and I was probably high.

E- ^ well, there you have it. I was remembering the not trite movie ending I suppose.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Calico Heart posted:

He's a professional screenwriter who takes on a silly role because sometimes he critiques things that would not be a smart career move to attach his name to. The joke is dumb but it is also there to illicit an air of humility - you're literally getting the joke of "I'm a dumb guy who talks in dumb caps so don't be upset I don't like your show". I mean good job refuting his points I guess?

He wrote a patronizing, bitchy wall of text where he said "vague" and "literally" a lot, whined about the sexual politics of girls wanting to be pretty, and concluded that anyone who likes the show isn't just being duped by nostalgia but phony poser nostalgia.

All of his points are bad and come from bizarre assumptions about what the show is, what's established, or that weird autistic place of "It is a flaw that this character doesn't behave more logically"

He can deep-tongue my rear end until I cum.

Super 8 was lukewarm dogshit with forgettable characters a stale plot and a terrible ending holy poo poo shoot that loving alien shoot it's a people-eating alien don't stare in wonder at it loving SHOOT IT.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

anybody who says they don't understand the "rules" of a sci fi thing just makes me roll my eyes. Like what, do you need a stat sheet and a list of abilities and power levels you fuckin sperg?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I never made it through Super 8. People kept saying it had the Goonies feeling to it, and it just didn't. I got bored and turned it off.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spielberg is a hack and it had his grubby fingerprints on it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

like if you saw et you p much saw super 8

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Fonzarelli posted:

anybody who says they don't understand the "rules" of a sci fi thing just makes me roll my eyes. Like what, do you need a stat sheet and a list of abilities and power levels you fuckin sperg?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

magic resistance 95% why would you cast fireball then

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Junkfist posted:

He wrote a patronizing, bitchy wall of text where he said "vague" and "literally" a lot, whined about the sexual politics of girls wanting to be pretty, and concluded that anyone who likes the show isn't just being duped by nostalgia but phony poser nostalgia.

All of his points are bad and come from bizarre assumptions about what the show is, what's established, or that weird autistic place of "It is a flaw that this character doesn't behave more logically"

He can deep-tongue my rear end until I cum.

Super 8 was lukewarm dogshit with forgettable characters a stale plot and a terrible ending holy poo poo shoot that loving alien shoot it's a people-eating alien don't stare in wonder at it loving SHOOT IT.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Calico Heart posted:

That's literally not what he is saying. He is saying the scene is being played with an emotional sincerity that isn't warranted if you've been paying attention to the show - what reason does the audience have to feel sad, knowing that the assumption the characters are making is wrong?

This is a fair point though. Like, it's totally not fair to assume everyone has guessed/gotten what a specific viewer has. I dunno how overt or obvious anyone might think they'd made the kid's fate.

This is again, not what he's saying. He is saying that her development is vague - ie what she wants and understands - but that that lack of understanding etc., was not a part of the dramatic narrative. You can refute/argue this point, though, it still ain't a perfect argument. I just felt you were oversimplifying what he was saying.

This isn't a refutation of that specific point and is in fact kinda rubbish matet. Believe it or not it is entirely possible for a vague show (or even just a show that is vague about certain important elements) to have clear rules, or established fact. It's not like if A and B are underexplained then C must also be.

Eh

breaking bad definitely sucks

you're a retard

E: YOU RETARD

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Hogge Wild posted:

you're a retard

E: YOU RETARD

Quoted for truth

Also, Calico Heart, most hate-watchers hang out in TVIV. Hope that helps.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 5, 2016

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Blue Train posted:

magic resistance 95% why would you cast fireball then

Maybe that's why his dumb rear end got kidnapped by a monster

rules

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.shirtpunch.com/eleven.html

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

looks like poo poo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
stop posting all the terrible anime style fan art

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do the people who sell these shirts not get sued for copyright infringement from these companies or are they too small of fish to bother with?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress YEA I SHIP EM

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
Man I don't like Tumblr

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Tumblr, I don't like Man

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
of course this thread has turned into tumblr-talk about fans sexualizing the child actors in this movie. ofcourse.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
tumblr: where gross obsessive spergs pretend to be cool

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Stranger Things is a great show. I love that it was set in late 70's and referenced Star Wars because it popular.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fits my needs posted:

of course this thread has turned into tumblr-talk about fans sexualizing the child actors in this movie. ofcourse.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I didnt understand a word of that

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

Tumblr ruins everything that is cool

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys, what does shipping mean, in this context? I'm assuming it's something terrible or stupid.

Or both.

I know I shouldn't ask, because my life is better for not knowing, but I can't help it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, what does shipping mean, in this context? I'm assuming it's something terrible or stupid.

Or both.

I know I shouldn't ask, because my life is better for not knowing, but I can't help it.

it means making the characters have sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what about "duplicates" though, is that the characters having sex with their own clones or something? (I assume yes because tumblr)

• Locked thread