Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Saddest part of this show is Matthew Modine jumping on twitter trying to ride the coattails of a bunch of twelve-year-olds. I hope he's fun and cool and nice and not sad and desperate for attention like he seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I feel like life is going to work out okay for the person named Finn Wolfhard.

It might just be the hair, but he's turning into John Francis Daly super-fast.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

The scene reflects the hopelessness that the characters feel. Everyone thought that they might be able to save Will but then a corpse shows up. There is no dramatic irony because the audience doesn't know Will is alive untill Elle suggests otherwise, he could be a ghost, he could be a time echo, he could be in Hell. If you said "wait what?" every 5 minuntes when you watched this show you might not be very smart. What is confusing or inconsistent about Elle's powers? They work the same way they do in episode 4 as they do in episode 8.

And the kids are on their own now, whereas before everyone was looking for Will. Now they won't be believed no matter what, and have no clear way to proceed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

HULK LIKED HER AND ALL, BUT HULK NEVER HAD A SENSE OF "THE RULES" OF ELEVEN OR EVEN WHAT SHE WAS REALLY DOING OR WANTED OUTSIDE OF GENERAL SAFETY. HULK NEVER KNEW WHAT SHE COULD OR COULD NOT UNDERSTAND, OR WHAT CHARACTERS UNDERSTOOD ABOUT HER. YOU COULD ARGUE "THAT'S THE POINT! SHE WAS THIS SUPERGIRL WHO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE WORLD AND JUST PLOPPED INTO OUR LIVES!" BUT THAT WOULD ONLY MAKE SENSE IF THOSE QUESTIONS OF MYSTERY WERE HEIGHTENED AND A PART OF THE DRAMATIC STORY. IN REALITY, THESE WERE BASIC FAILINGS OF AUDIENCE COMMUNICATION, EXACERBATED BY THE SHOW'S FOOLHARDY AIM OF "MYSTERIOUSNESS."

Still don't get this one. The kid is kind of like ET and doesn't understand much of the world, and some of the pleasure of the narrative is watching her grow and learn and try to exchange ideas with the boys, and also seeing them develop a mutual sense of friendship. If this is about how her powers work or her secret origin or what the monster really is or any of that xfiles stuff, then that's always going to disappoint because narratives built on those kinds of mysteries always fail to satisfy or to be totally consistent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, also a good point.

If I didn't really enjoy the first couple that much do y'all think the rest of the season picks up or is quite similar to those early episodes? I really didn't wanna poo poo people enjoying a show so sorry for the shitposting.

Y'right, part of it I think was I heard so many good things and was p hyped for it so I was bummed when I saw it and didn't click with me

There are only 4-5 more episodes of +/- 45 minutes each. I'd say what's the harm but the show had me hooked literally from the first scene so it might just not be your thing. You have to be charmed by totally earnest scenes of kids doing adventuring, plus enthralled by a beard guy solving multiple mysteries with punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why look, the stars of the show have come to save it from its lame fans:

• Locked thread