Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

JakeP posted:

show would have been better as a 3-4 hour movie like stephen kings It or the Stand or something. Making it 10+ hours makes it drag more than it needs to

Good thing it was about seven hours then. All the eps were under an hour and it was only 8 eps. I thought it was perfectly paced without any extemporaneous scenes or subplots and clipped along at a steady pace without feeling rushed throughout.

Probably my favorite show since Breaking Bad. All of it was excellent. I'm glad they're not going the anthology copout route that so many people seem to be advocating. When has that turned out good? True Detective? American Horror Story? These characters were too sympathetic and good to ditch for the unknown. If Netflix doesn't gently caress with the creators and force them to do stupid poo poo like networks do, there's no reason to believe the second season will be bad. Just give them more money and turn them loose, especially since they've said they already had plans for a second season going.

Some frog DJ mixed the intro out into a full track and its pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pab-OqBIKJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

darkhand posted:

IDk all the characters just seem to hit their apex of resolution at the end of s1. Cycling them through more conflict just seems weird or that it won't portray them as well, but hopefully they pull it off.

I think there's the possibility of that, but I also think they've left themselves plenty of room to move forward. The Duffers have already said that if they get a second season (and why the gently caress haven't they gotten a second season already?) they're going to treat it as a "sequel" rather than a direct continuation of the show so far. Now that's fairly ambiguous and open to interpretation but what I hope it means is that they take it in a slightly different direction than last season. Maybe leave the military out of it and focus on the town more. I was thinking that since Will is spitting up those Todash slugs or whatever they are, maybe they're going to spread the corruption from the Upside Down into our world and the effects that has on the town. Whatever the case I'll definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and will watch next season.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

vols bitch posted:

this show was okay but not worth all the nerd jizz it caused

nah, it was excellent, I know its declasse to like popular things, but some popular things are actually popular for good reason.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

I'm sorry to be negative, but I don't think this is a very good show. I don't know why people like it so much.

I think people like it because its genuine and sincere without any of the edge of irony and slickness that's present in nearly all modern media. Its filled with likeable, relatable, naturally written characters who are nice to each other, care for each other and work together to solve a horrifying problem. Its a show light on Shamalayanian plot twists and cheap back stabbing, but heavy on heart and emotional engagement. When to a lot of people, the world seems to be spiraling towards some looming, yet unknowable catastrophe its nice to have a show that makes you feel better about people for once. Also the whole nostalgia thing I guess.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

I hate to be negative again, but I'm going to have to disagree with almost all of this. I don't think there's anything sincere or genuine about this show. I read it as a completely cynical and calculated attempt to mix a bunch of different popular nerd movies and TV templates together into one bag. It's Twin Peaks meets Lost meets E.T. meets Freaks and Geeks meets etc. Its a cobbled together Frankenstein of a million different properties without any identity of it's own. The characters don't seem naturally written to me, especially the nerd kids, with their throw-away references to the most obvious nerd properties like The Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons. Winonna Ryder's character is a constantly screeching lunatic who seems completely unrelatable.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it is completely wrong.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The fact that she calls him Hop instead of Chief or Chief Hopper also implies a more personal relationship in the past.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Panfilo posted:

How did the bad guys make such a perfect copy of Wills body? Regardless of it being stuffed it was accurate enough for his brother and friends to be fooled.

They're CIA or some even shadowier governmental department, its best not to think about it beyond that probably.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

thathonkey posted:

im guessing that the tulip face is just a worker ant and that weird structure with the alien breathing/feeding tube down throat is nurturing some larger alien or colony or something. i wonder if next season is going to be a continuation of this setting and characters or will they do the "entirely new story+cast" route

They've said it will be a sequel and will take place about a year after the first one ends (because it would look really dumb if they try to pretend its the next day with obviously older kids). They've even said they might do a short PC game to bridge the seasons as they really liked the mockup some guy did of ST as a point and click adventure.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Metanaut posted:

Someone already said this, but they really should've gone with lovely 80's animatronics on that thing instead of lovely CGI

And someone already said this but the monster is a practical effect. It was built by the same creature house that does Guillermo Del Toro's stuff and was only slightly augmented with CG in some parts, but the monster itself is a practical effect, including the moving petals on its tulip head.

As for killing Hop, first they didn't know if he had told anyone he was going there, if he did and ended up dead the jig would be up for MK Ultra II or whatever it is. Even if he didn't tell anyone, its a lot more risky to murder/disappear the chief of police than some guy who runs a restaurant.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Its attracted to blood, when El exploded those govt agent brains thing went into a frenzy like sharks do when there's a ton of blood in the water.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Madcosby posted:

I think most of us are discussing how to follow up on a succcessful season 2, not fan fiction

The problem with a lot of these netflix shows is that they'll experiment with something network tv would never touch, and what we get in exchange are shows with awesome first seasons and 2nd seasons people will beg you not to watch

I loved True Detective Season 1. I didnt even bother with season 2, I was told by literally everyone to avoid it

Stranger Things did a mash-up of 80s movie nostalgia with a thriller/sci fi plot. They wrapped things up much, much faster than most such shows would (like Lost) which is why it was rewarding to watch. Now, if they make season 2, itd be nice if they dont screw that up, like make another Lost.

The Duffers said they have a good idea where they want the story to go in season 2 and they intentionally left some things open in the finale in order to be able to build on that. I don't understand the desire a lot of people seem to have for them to just quit this story here. I mean, even if they do a second season and it sucks does that somehow take away from the first season? I still love True Detective season 1 regardless of how poo poo season 2 is. Same with early X-files seasons. Just because it got lovely and ridiculous in the later seasons doesn't mean the first 3 or so aren't still great. Regardless, I think when someone makes something this good you have to give them at least a chance to follow it up without sinking immediately into cynicism.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Your discussion is retarded and your analysis is pointless.

"hey guys, why wasn't the upside-down like X, Y and Z??????"
"the show should have had more whatever!!!!!!!!!"
""maybe the next season will do this............"

All of this is stupid and pointless and the people engaging in it are retarded.

Thing exists and is good. Enjoy thing instead of wanking yourselves into oblivion over what it could've, should've been whilst trying to write the second season to match your hosed up fanfic.

if you don't like it don't read it fucko, pretty simple

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Matthew Modine will be back in season 2

i feel it in my bones

He basically "died" off screen and his death wasn't really satisfying to the audience so I think he's probably been dragged off to the upside down or something.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

Did WIll drink his own pee and eat left over Barbara for a week to survive in the harsh shadow wilderness?

You can survive easily without food for a week unless you're already dangerously malnourished. The water would be more of a problem but its theoretically possible to survive seven days without water depending on several variables. He was in pretty bad shape when they found him after all.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Didn't the bear trap and fire give that thing a hard time though

The fire for sure made it unhappy and bleedy. It may just be following the standard horror monster trope where bullets don't do poo poo but fire hurts it a la vampires and werewolves in a lot of tales.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Carmant posted:

Who is the cutest boy? I think it's Jon.. he's a model irl

He looks poxy and weird like all British people whereas Steve is 100% All-American Grade A hunk.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Carmant posted:

Steve looks like michael cera if he finished growing a chin

How loving dare you. I will cut a bitch.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Series 2 is a go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWG_kKDZlY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Please do not try to figure out the fantasies of teenage girls and unfuckable cat ladies. Also don't post about them in the thread.

• Locked thread