Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer the notion that the monster IS the Upside Down, like some kind of highly aggressive immune system or an ambulatory reproductive system. Given that it has to eat, it appears to be some kind of biological animal, but since it seems to utilize humans for breeding, it's hard to say--we don't know how intelligent it really is. The first half of the show, I sort of thought that it was generating the pocket dimension itself, rather than the Upside Down being a fully formed mirror to our world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

well the monster destroyed the fort in the upside down; is it destroyed in our world then? riddle me that, batman

I don't think so, we haven't seen damage carrying over in reverse--Will's actions in the Upside Down clearly influence the real world, and since Joyce paints letters on her wall and Will uses them to communicate, it must mean that you can also influence the Upside Down through the real world, but it's hard to say exactly how. Much of it was left ambiguous and the developers say they do have answers to all the questions in that regard--they have a thirty page document on the nature of the Upside Down, or so they claim. We do know that people, not just the monster, can cause the lights to change and glow, so it seems that the Upside Down is very, very "close" to our world, like a barnacle hanging off the underbelly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The best character in the show is the spiked bat that Steve twirls like a motherfuckin' baller before smacking a home run on Tuliphead's dome.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

the writers should have waited more than 15 minutes to crank the show up to 11 but yea its still an outstanding show

This is something they say they want to do in the second season, make it a much slower build up, which to me only further cements the theory that it'll be a body snatchers scenario.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Between the slug in the sink and the multiple explicit invocations of John Carpenter's "The Thing" there is no loving way they aren't going to at least have bodysnatching in there in some form, even if it's just as a C or D plot to lure the characters into a trap.

Theories that Will will create his own demigorgon or whatever are also probably right, which makes sense but I'd rather see just a bodysnatchers thing with Will's upside-down stuff acting as a metaphor for PTSD that only comes to the fore once the slugs bloom. Then again doing that doesn't involve a return of 11 so I'm a moron for thinking that would happen.

I would like Will to be a proper character next season, and not killed off early for shock value. I think the Duffers even suggested that as a bad way to proceed. It'd be great if he took over as the protagonist, and Mike and the others operate as either his support or as a different character group all together. I don't want Will to turn into an rear end in a top hat either, but I do see it possible that he'd start to become more distant and less relatable as whatever "transformation" he's doomed to undergo develops. What a lot of people don't mention and what I took as the most disturbing aspect of the final scene is that Will doesn't look all that shocked that he coughed up a slug--just that the world transforms. This suggests that he's been coughing up slugs before we see this scene, and probably has since he returned. So we have no idea how many of those drat things have come out of him, and how many are still in there.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RedMage129 posted:

"I wish Wynona Ryder hadn't reacted so much as a single mom who lost her youngest son under mysterious supernatural circumstances." - a bad opinion that somehow people have.

She's probably the most important character to emotionally connect the audience to the drama. The kids never doubt that they can save their friend, where Joyce is constantly dealing with all the real world heartache and headache of a missing person. She's also a good example of how even small towns can have a pecking order, and she is something of a lower class member of the Hawkins society. Both of her sons are bullied, she's single, prone to anxiety, and almost everyone immediately assumes she's just lost her mind as soon as Will disappears. She could have ended up locked in an institution had things not turned in her favor towards the end.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AEMINAL posted:

So has Tumblr obsessively sexualize the gently caress out of this show yet

It's safely mainstream so maybe they won't be interested.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

I hate to be negative again, but I'm going to have to disagree with almost all of this. I don't think there's anything sincere or genuine about this show. I read it as a completely cynical and calculated attempt to mix a bunch of different popular nerd movies and TV templates together into one bag. It's Twin Peaks meets Lost meets E.T. meets Freaks and Geeks meets etc. Its a cobbled together Frankenstein of a million different properties without any identity of it's own. The characters don't seem naturally written to me, especially the nerd kids, with their throw-away references to the most obvious nerd properties like The Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons. Winonna Ryder's character is a constantly screeching lunatic who seems completely unrelatable.

Hm

hmmmmmmm

Were you actually ever a child? I mean, I think fifty percent of what I talked about when I was ten years old incorporated the words "Pokemon" and "Goku" so talking about nerd properties constantly seems perfectly natural to me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

is the black deputy the black kids father or no? they show his parents at the funeral for the stuffed will doll iirc but that's about it

Lucas has a Vietnam vet dad and he's apparently very well-to-do in town, you see him and his mom at the funeral. The dad wears cashmere and they have the nicest house in the neighborhood. Lucas also apparently has free access to his old 'Nam gear, which is curious--you don't see a lot of success stories in TV or movies about Vietnam veterans. If I had a guess, his dad may have been a field medic during the war, and now practices as the town doctor, but that's entirely just picking likely possibilities to connect the two. It's also just as likely he went back home, afforded college with his payment from armed service, and is now a lawyer or something too.

Either way, it ain't the deputy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

[url=http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-episode-6]

Just put that quote in the OP already

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kung Food posted:

They parked her car next to a bus stop to make it seem like she ran away. Why anyone would ditch a perfectly good car to take the bus instead is another matter.

This isn't that strange either, a bus allows you to leave without being traced as easily and back in the day it was easier to buy cars I think? I dunno, the 80's is like ancient history

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

After covering up two deaths and killing a third person they probably hit a point where it's a better idea to bully a dozen people into keeping quiet than to somehow try to cover up a dozen more murders.

The fact that there wasn't a contingency plan in place for something like this just cements how goddamn stupid the government is in Stranger Things. They don't hire any townsfolk, so nobody is forced into silence by complicity, what possible leverage besides violence could they put against the town? In the epilogue sequence it's even shown that they get their dumb asses sued by Joyce and others.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

uhhhh, what?

The poster shows up, and footage from the film and even some dialogue about the film's effects are in the show. It's pretty heavily referenced, even moreso than any of the other references.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

Your discussion is retarded and your analysis is pointless.

"hey guys, why wasn't the upside-down like X, Y and Z??????"
"the show should have had more whatever!!!!!!!!!"
""maybe the next season will do this............"

All of this is stupid and pointless and the people engaging in it are retarded.

Thing exists and is good. Enjoy thing instead of wanking yourselves into oblivion over what it could've, should've been whilst trying to write the second season to match your hosed up fanfic.

i poop from my butt

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Archer666 posted:

I just started watching the first episode and I want the kids to die horribly. Will my senseless bloodlust be sated?

suck my dick you fuckman

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

what's her username

dad gay so what

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lastgirl posted:

no because

its not

is too

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

yeah the lab stuff reminded me of half-life a good bit but it was probably based on something else

anime

Eleven was inspired by Elfen Lied, which is...a thing I really wish I hadn't googled.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

psychokitty posted:

Go to tviv if you're gonna pull that kind of poo poo

i'm not lying psychokitty

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/duffer-brothers-talk-stranger-things-916180

quote:

In Jurassic Park, the secret DNA is the frog DNA that makes everything weird. What is the secret DNA that people aren't picking up on in this? That you haven't seen anyone nodding to?

Ross: I think there's two things. One is anime.

Matt: Everyone's picked up everything. There's a kind of obscure anime called Elfen Lied, and it was like the first trailer, someone was like, in the comments, someone pointed out, "Oh, this reminds me of Elfen Lied."

Ross: They picked up on that, but not very many people. That's deep cut.

Matt: I'm like, "Oh, wow." I don't know how that came through in the trailer. I was like, "That's crazy, I didn't realize anyone had even seen that anime." That's an older [series], it's very very violent though, so in that way it's very different, but a girl who escapes from a laboratory. It reminded me when I watched it of a very violent, anime-ish E.T.
. So, that DNA is in it. I don't see a lot of people talking about it. Then, we play a lot of video games, so there's a lot of video game references that people are picking up on. There's Silent Hill and Last of Us.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

i just want to contribute to the thread why do you spurn me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
nancy is a total babe

definitely #2 in the show behind steve's hair

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Disappointed there was no title drop in this show

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think Barb was also serving to let them upend the classic horror trope that "party kids that have sex are killed by the monster." Even Steve's rear end in a top hat friends are left unscathed, and the only teen killed by the monster is the goody-two-shoes.

I think this is why Stranger Things works so well--it isn't predictable at all, despite being seeped in nostalgia. The RLM guys talk about this, and I think that's where the line between homage and rip-off lies. The story itself still twists and turns and surprises a contemporary audience, because it doesn't rely on tropes, stereotypes and references for its plot beats, and acknowledges cliches while also subverting them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This show is going to launch a lot of careers.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

8 track betamax posted:

ok just finished the first eisode it was pretty good except the recording was sota messed up about half waythrough and the video skipped for a few seconds so a few points off for that but over all a solid 5/10

Were there any strange audio glitches, like you heard somebody's voice, really soft but also really clear, just under the static? Like the most beautiful voice you'd ever heard?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
oh poo poo that's what Matthew Modine is from. Jesus, yeah, they need to give that guy a hell of a lot of more material in a season 2, kind of a waste of talent

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I had forgotten the sequence of 11 exploring the house and it was so incredibly charming. A combination of great shots, editing and excellent acting, and wordless acting at that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

how me a frog posted:

I just started watching this and it gets really hard to stomach whenever wynona rider is on the screen.

have you come out to your parents yet?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

how me a frog posted:

Not enjoying a screeching emotional harpy makes me gay?

Tell us about your mother.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

It's weird that the monster is just impervious to bullets for plot reasons. Doesn't make much sense consider it's basically just a big predator but whatever it works. The nature of the monster and the underside is unclear, I like to think that Eleven accidentally created all of it out of terror and hopelessness.

Somebody theorized that it may be more of a plant-based creature, not an animal per se. It may not actually have any internal organs or anything like that--the concept art makes it seem quite fungal.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is outstanding.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Well.. what do you think?

His hair is not as good as Steve Harrington's hair.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to see Season 2 do something to "recap" Will's adventure in the Upside Down. Even make it super bad quality video, with scan lines and a cheesy soundtrack, no dialogue, just Will running around a bunch of sets they built with their doubled budget, with a rifle and make-shift weaponry. Like an 11-year-old John Rambo in Hell.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

If this image isn't hitting like 8 different buttons for you I don't even know man:

I do remember kitchens like that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

8 track betamax posted:

People calling this a love letter to the 80s need to be stoned to death

i'm just stoned, man

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Steve's face I want to punch but Steve's hair I want to caress

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of wish there was a whole album of compositions like New Order -- Elegia someplace. The only thing similar I can recall is Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. Anyone have any suggestions?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Saddest part of this show is Matthew Modine jumping on twitter trying to ride the coattails of a bunch of twelve-year-olds. I hope he's fun and cool and nice and not sad and desperate for attention like he seems.

Gonna link some examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like life is going to work out okay for the person named Finn Wolfhard.

• Locked thread