Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Batman / Wonder Woman thing was probably always supposed to be a "yes they're attracted to each other, and but nothing ever happens" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, is legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cddLDL_kKOU

They got Matt Ryan back to voice Constantine! :dance:

It's definitely gonna be poo poo, just because there have been zero good DC flicks with that animation style, but I'm definitely gonna watch it for another dose of Matt Ryan as Constantine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's from Azzarello's N52 Wonder Woman #9. Hades, depicted as a no-one-understands-me-so-the-world-must-burn manchild, shoots Diana in the heart with Eros' twin Desert Eagles filled with love bullets (I poo poo you not), forcing Diana to marry him out of compulsion. While she's being prepared by demonic handmaidens, one of them implies he might gently caress the wound.

Ultimately, Diana head-fakes Hades by going along with it just long enough to let him know that the love bullets only work if the person firing them truly loves himself. So yeah, I'm kind of betting the first half everyone hates is more on Azzarello's shoulders.

I thought she got around the love bullet thing because they would kill someone who doesn't love who they're marrying and Wonder Woman loves everybody, including her enemies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're right. I forgot about that loophole, but I also distinctly remember something being said about the shooter needing to love himself, and Hades is a creature of self-loathing determined to inflict his pain on others.

Still, the overarching point remains - Azzarello is a lovely writer.

I get it's popular to poo poo on Azzarello because of The Killing Joke (and based on everything I've heard, he deserves it), but I thought his Wonder Woman was pretty drat good, and I remember it being highly praised while it was coming out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like there is a difference between the story addressing just how much of Daredevil's crusade is altruistic and someone pointing out that Batman would make his fictional world better if he wasn't Batman. Character criticism and an examination of their flaws is great in-universe. I just don't like when real world logic is applied to them from outside the confines of the story. I dunno if I'm articulating it how I want to. It's like I don't mind if Alfred is like "Why don't you just stop being Batman and use the money to fund GCPD" but I absolutely did not enjoy Rises being a story about how lovely Batman is and why it doesn't work.

I live in Oakland, there's currently a massive police scandal where up to 12 police officers might have traded information about upcoming vice stings for sex with a single prostitute, who was underage. I can see why Bruce might not think the GCPD would be the best investment for improving Gotham.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I think there's a scene of something like that in mask of the phantasm

I guess it could've happened in the show proper too

in Mask of the Phantasm he asks his parent's tombstone if he can stop being Batman because he's in love, they say no.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

qntm posted:

In Batman Begins they built that commuter railway system! Seems like a decent stab at the problem to me.

I love that Batman blows that up and the sequels have all these panning cityscapes that really point out he never rebuilt it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, they gave up in Rises, and just used a completely untouched NYC for the wide shots. Which is really jarring if you are familiar with NYC at all.

It was a specific editing choice to have all these panning cityscapes. In Dark Knight Nolan even used special cameras for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know it's not going to happen, but I'd loving kill for a third season of Spectacular Spider-Man. poo poo,just spend the next year re-airing the first two seasons to give you enough time to make season 3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for the Wonder Woman/Wonder Girl sex scene.

It's gonna be a Wonder Woman/Batman sex scene and you know it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Well to be fair, that is where the character's origin is, but also it's good for selling toys when your hero is also a kid.

In the comics Peter Parker was in college and living on his own (in an apartment with Harry Osborn that was subsidized by Norman Osborn) when he met Gwen Stacy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure if that series hadn't been conceived as a tie-in to a movie that never got made he would've been a loving high school student in that too.

I don't think the 60's Spider-Man cartoon or Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends featured a high school aged Peter Parker either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The 60s one was too early for nostalgia.

Amazing Friends is from the 80's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

I hope it has nothing to do with the new movie, because being beholden to the movie continuity will make the show much more constrained on what they can and can't use in terms of rogues and other characters that may not have been introduced in the movies.

Avengers Assemble has gently caress all to do with movie continuity, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yup. That's also why, much like BTAS, there was no origin episode (until they did a weird reimagining of The Boy Who Collected Spider-man and used that to tell the origin).

None of the Spider-Man shows had an origin episode as far as I know (maybe they did one later in Ultimate Spider-Man, I only watched the first 2 episodes and it definitely started in media res).

Origin stories are largely pointless for children's shows because odds are the kid isn't going to see the show in broadcast order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

After seeing the Hulk/Dr. Strange cartoon, I have to applaud Marvel Animation for their absolutely amazing level of consistency. It is an impressive feat to maintain this much blandness across multiple series over multiple years.

You should probably check out the recent DC stuff too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah but that at least has been relegated to 1 or 2 bad films per year. Multiple seasons of multiple shows and a film nuts. You'd figure they would have at some point wandered into interesting content just by sheer chance by now. Though the fact that DC managed to smother even The Killing Joke in their current bland badness is a very noteworthy achievement.

That said, I feel like the DC DTV films are actually slightly better than the Marvel Animated stuff currently. The biggest downside to DC's stuff is the lack of animation budgets and bland designing. Marvel Animation has that too, but then they are also written in the most uninteresting way possible on top of it all.

I was super dissapointed about the Hulk/Dr. Strange movie because the only DTv Marvel stuff I've liked was the Wolverine vs. Hulk short film and the Planet Hulk movie, so I thought, "Oh, another Hulk movie, maybe it will be good." Nope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ultimate Spider-man ended today. All in all, the second half of the show became decent to good. The ending wasn't really too amazing, but it hit some nice notes and was conclusive as hell, which I think is a first in Spider-man animated history.

Tackling huger villains and stuff from much later in Spidey's life was interesting, but I'm ready to go back to a more street-level kinda adventures to start with.

The 90's one had a pretty conclusive ending, it was a basically a proto-Spider-verse thing and in the final episode he meets Stan Lee. Spectacular ended on a loving downer that was pretty obviously just to make an interesting status quo for the start of a third season that never came.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 8, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know, wasn't the point of Peter's weird dimension traveling to find MJ and by the end of the show he hadn't?
I could have sworn he rescued her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dexie posted:

Are there any major Marvel guys that DIDN'T show up? I'm pretty sure most of the big Marvel names appeared at least once.

I don't think Iron Man or the FF ever showed up, but they had they're own cartoons at the time I think.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm sure there are people with half of a functioning brain but unfortunately none of them are in charge. The fact that they are literally struggling to get a new Batman movie out of preproduction tells you all that you need to know about WB right now.

Every single movie Ben Affleck has directed has been a critical darling and his most recent was a massive financial success and won Best Picture. He got an Academy Award for screen writing in his early twenties, and his turn as Batman was probably the best received part of BvS, how hard is it to just hand him a decent budget and step back?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

Unpopular opinion: I finished (re)watching Young Justice today and I still like it. I probably like it more now than when I had to wait for episodes week to week. Season 1 definitely had issues with stupid catchphrases and "everything according to plan" moments, but those are almost entirely absent from season 2. Almost.

And yes, season 2 has the issue of having a ton of new characters who have absolutely zero characterization/plot growth (Wonder Girl especially) in favor of giving probably way too much to Blue Beetle, but overall the story was solid all the way through when you focus on what they did present rather than what was missing. The art style, characterization, and overall tone are all excellent.

I am thoroughly excited for season 3!

And another one sees the light.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I honestly wish the show had better animation, less hectic pacing and not quite as much Fox-mandated censorship, because some of the stories are pretty decent adaptations of comic book stuff and the voice cast was great, but its problems make a lot rougher to rewatch than even X-men.

I remember when Spider-Man 3 came out a bunch of people saying it's impossible to do the venom story in less than two movies, and while I don't think that movie was a good version of it my response was always "bitch, the cartoon did a perfectly respectable version of it in 60 minutes."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm mostly angry at Batman Forever because they recast Billy Dee Williams.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been working my way through Batman: TAS for the first time in a literal decade, and I was wondering why it hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray upgrade considering how popular it was? What little info I can find points to a few possible answers;

1) Bruce Timm doesn't want the upgrade as he sees the series as an homage to the Fleischer cartoons
2) The episodes were mastered on video and would require a monumental amount of restoration work (much like Star Trek: TNG)
3) The Justice League BDs sold poorly

Anyone know anything different?

If they don't have the original animation cells they'd basically have to redraw the entire series to make a noticeable upgrade in quality, TNG was shot on film and they had access to the original film for most of it, the big issue was any of the effects shots with TNG and Batman would basically count as nothing but effect shots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I am, especially when we live in a universe where Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker exist.

I will say it probably the last good Batman animated movie, but that's just because I haven't seen Lego Batman yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

haitfais posted:

Apart from The Dark Knight Returns and, from what I've heard, the Adam West thing that came out a little while ago. I'm waiting for it to turn up on Netflix.

The CBR article starts from a failed premise regardless. Under the Red Hood was well-directed visually (not enough to set a new standard or anything,) but the dialogue was pitiable and the cast was 50/50. DiMaggio's Joker was good, but no one's matched Hamill yet. Repeat the previous sentence with Bruce Greenwood and Kevin Conroy in place of DiMaggio and Hamill. Neil Patrick Harris and Jensen Ackles sounded like they were trying too hard, though the script may be to blame for that. Seriously, the dialogue. It was grade-school simplistic in some places, which really doesn't fit in an extra-dark Batman story. Some of the dialogue in Mask of the Phantasm was corny as poo poo, but at least that fit in the faux-retro noir-ish setting Batman occupied at the time. Return of the Joker had a surprisingly tight script, in the way that everything about Batman Beyond works better than it really should. Both films were at least equal to Under the Red Hood, visually.

I liked how in Return of the Joker They had Mark Hamill also play some executive guy as a red herring for the Joker's actual identity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

haitfais posted:

I must have watched that movie a hundred times, and I never noticed that. The smarmy rear end in a top hat guy who almost got space-lasered on a boat?

Yup, not as effective as I thought if no one else noticed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

Also, lol, Rupert Thorn is one of the most used.

It doesn't include when they switched animation styles and I think counts 2 parters as one appearance. Because he definitely had a third appearance after they intruduced Tim Drake, and I think his second appearance in the older episodes was a two parter. Freeze also shows up in an episode of Batman Beyond.

His first appearance in the cartoon won it an emmy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

As much as I like BTAS, I feel like Catwoman is right down there with Penguin for bad episodes. They kept bringing her back, obviously trying to do justice to one of Batman's most popular and well known rogues, but they never really gave her a Heart of Ice or even On Leather Wings. She was only used well in episodes where she wasn't the focus.

I like the later episode where she tries to seduce Nightwing, mostly because she calls him "the Man Wonder.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuringa posted:

RUMOR TIME! Watchmen may be getting an R-Rated Animated Movie because there's no such thing as letting sleeping dogs lie..

This sounds like something that could be very easily fabricated so I'm not betting anything but might as well share it.

I don't even like the movie we already have and I know this will be worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

haitfais posted:

It did seem like a bit of a loss not having the narration but, frankly, what works on paper or in a 7 minute segment doesn't necessarily work over 3 hours of movie. There's a reason most movies don't have a lot of narration, and I personally feel that the full adaptation would have suffered more if the narration had been included than it did by omitting it. Your mileage may vary.

That being said, we lost a few really good lines as a result.

It's been long enough since I read DKR that I didn't remember the racecar sequence until it was brought up, but based on the description of the scene in the movie, it sounds like something they could have just cut out, in the book it helped portray Bruce Wayne's state of mind before he put the costume on again but seems to serve no purpose whatsoever in the film aside from "it was in the book, so put it in the movie, also it helps make it long enough that we can sell two movies instead of one."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Enough with the Watchmen, adapt the Sandman since a live action movie/tv series will never happen at this point.

Watchmen is 12 issues, Sandman is 70 and if you get rid of all the one offs not connected to the main story you lose half the charm of the book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Make a series of animated movies then :colbert:

In fact make an adult rated animated cartoon series

Having seen the quality of recent DC animation, dear loving god no.

Roth posted:

Old man shows apathetic kid who just wants to play video games the cartoons of his youth

I don't think Damien Wayne plays a lot of video games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

catlord posted:

Really, Scarecrow was the only one who came out of that better, right? Everyone else was either about even (rarely) or way worse?

Scarecrow had 2 different costumes after the redesign and one of them was pretty awful too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I know it'll probably look like I'm contradicting myself from earlier, but I actually really enjoyed this scene. If you're going to sell me on a story where Batman quits being Batman, that is exactly how I would think of it. Not just that he's physically incapable. It's that he's physically incapable and he had to finally break his code to accomplish his goals.

As others have elaborated on though, there's something about all of Batman's allies ever hating his guts that just makes me sad. I mean the League OR the Batfamily, not both. Bats did such an inadequate job that even in death, a bunch of punks have glorified The Joker and are running around with no Batman to stand in front of them. In fact, neither of his Robins are around to care to be The Batman either. Waller had to create a baby in order to find a person who would put up with the guy.

Well the thing about every other Batman story is that since they take place toward the beginning or in the middle, I'm free to imagine the adventure continues. Beyond takes place at the end. Bruce is bitter, old, and alone. That kinda bites. Even TDKR, another story that takes place at the end, finishes with "the adventure continues" and a new Robin.

But the adventure never continued and there were no sequels written ever.

I sort of assumed Terry would continue being Batman after Bruce dies. Hei'd recruited his own group of sidekicks at various points in the show, And ther's even a Justice League for him to hang out with, including a Superman for him to hang out with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

My son really wanted to watch something X-Men so he started the animated series tonight.

Uh... killing the human version of Morph in episode 2 was an interesting decision.

He gets better, kinda.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep sure is. I watched an episode or two with him and man that is some awful voice acting. I liked the super high level of melodrama though, and the kid loved it.

This'll probably be a great bonding experience. When he get's a bit older through him into the Claremont comics most of this is based off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

And then,knowing how edgy DC Comics are, Joker probably wound up killing that guy anyway.

Neil Gaiman wrote that bit. It's from "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I wouldn't skip the Red Claw episodes just because of the good Catwoman stuff in there. I love DCAU Selina but unfortunately she does get saddled with some clunkers.

Did Beyond or any of the tie in comics ever explain what happened to her?

The only mention of her I remember in Beyond is after Terry goes out with a girl who turns out to be a member of the Royal Flush gang, Batman puts his arm around him and says "Let me tell you about a woman named Selina Kyle."