Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I honestly really liked Bats/WW. It felt like the kind of relationship he SHOULD have, with a woman who is so powerful that a bullet can't kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I like how they really, really wanted to "blindside" people with Arkham Knight being, gasp, Jason Todd, and were playing up super hard that his identity was a mystery...

...except that they also had to then build up Jason Todd's entire backstory in one game, and they were beating people over the head with "HERE'S THE DEAD ROBIN, BATMAN FAILED HIM, JOKER KILLED HIM, HE'S DEAD, REALLY, GUYS DID WE MENTION JASON TODD WAS ROBIN AND IS REALLY DEAD?". Well, then, I wonder who Arkham Knight could be?! Maybe the guy they only just introduced this game, with the backstory that explains how he knows all of Batman's secrets, the whiny personality, and the off-screen death?

I mean, everyone who knew about the Red Hood stuff immediately realized who Arkham Knight was the moment marketing let anything loose about him, because Jason Todd was the most obvious answer possible. Interviews tried super hard to hide it, but it was like Writing 101.

Really, most of the Arkham series' writing just seems amateurish. Especially when women are concerned, it's like someone on the staff decided that the word "woman" translates to "skank", and thus pretty much every female character in the series has about fifty pounds of makeup and exposed cleavage. Every time I look at Catwoman in those games, I'm just like "Hey, please, zip up a bit, pull down the goggles". Meanwhile apparently Harley is just a Hot Topic given human form, and Poison Ivy is permanently fused to her skank-style Arkham Asylum outfit.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

But anyway, it's always been the common wisdom and part of why Robin was created.

It's also been almost universally wrong. If I remember correctly, the general reply to that has been "Kids didn't want to be Batman's kid sidekick, they wanted to be Batman". Marketing people think that kids need someone to embody as the tagalong to the hero, but they forget that kids want to be the coolest fucker in the room, not their idiot friend.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You'd think, at this point, some doctor or nurse or whatever from Arkham would have been like "gently caress it, I'll take the hit". Like, the Joker's body count is huge, not to even mention just the people he's maimed or harmed in other ways over the years. At this point, someone would probably have just decided to kill him in cold blood when he's locked up, and do the time.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I legit want to see a long story where Joker is doing his stupid poo poo taking the city hostage or something, Batman tries to take him down, a GCPD sniper takes the shot, and Joker's just dead. Batman and the rest of the world has to deal with that; obviously the vast, vast majority of the world is happy Joker's dead. The supervillains are happy Joker's dead. People are saying that it should have happened sooner. Almost every single person on the planet is happy Joker is dead. Batman doing his Batman thing, and having to deal with people who are like "Yeah, that's nice, but look at how much better everything is when the mass murdering psychopaths AREN'T around to kill people anymore".

Not in like a story saying "Well DUH, Batman should kill the Joker", but a story exploring "in a world where the Joker's been killed by a cop, what happens to Batman and his mission in Gotham".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus a variety of other factors, like what the market will support, what the cost to effort ratio is to get kids to pay attention to a show, and what the studio actually wants out of the show. We all remember the years of things like Gargoyles and BTAS being great, but not only was that a very different time, they were also beacons in a sea of less memorable cheap poo poo.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's not for the new series, that's for their un-subtitled action figure line. I bought my little cousin "Kid Arachnid" months ago, and the line is just "Spider-Man", not "Ultimate" or whatever.

Basically, these are old, and are meant to be generic as gently caress to sell with whatever series.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what? Holy poo poo. That's dumb as hell.

See above. These aren't linked to the new show.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

These figures have been in stores for months now. False alarm, people.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

"Hey, can we take everything interesting from their designs away, and make them generic as gently caress?"

"Go for it!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

His motivation is "gently caress you Flash", so, I mean, that's about it yeah.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I like how a significant portion of the preview talks about how amazing and stylish the art in the comic was, all while still using the standard house style junk for the animation.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Sailor Moon (which I think is kind of a superhero show - she has special powers and a secret identity) was localised in the early nineties but the first time I saw it was in the late nineties when it was on Fox Kids in the UK and all its adverts made it out to be the next Dragon Ball Z.

Worth revisiting?

Sailor Moon is sorta by-the-numbers, since it's more or less the inspiration for most magical girl shows and such, but it definitely has some much darker moments than you'd expect.

Also, it's beloved for a reason.

(Mars and Jupiter are best scouts, fight me)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The general idea of Beast Machines was fine, Maximals return to Cybertron, discover that Megatron made it their before them and managed to take over, transformation virus forces them to get new toys, I mean forms, go from there with a fresh world. The problem was that pretty much no one was written in character for the majority of the show, and they only started getting them back into character as the show got closer to its ending. That, and the central mystery they start with being that none of the Maximals remember just what happened, which is supposedly to let new viewers come in without getting caught up, but instead just confused matters and didn't really build up to anything beyond Rhinox being written incredibly out of character, too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I love how wholeheartedly Mark Hamill embraces this stuff. He's a super charming dude.

Also a talented voice actor!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The problem is, the full bodysuit design looks like rear end in anything that isn't stylized like Timm's art, because it's impossible to not sexualize that to absurd degrees. It's skin tight, it's always going to be portrayed as something shiny, and it looks completely weird. You see that in her Knight DLC where they give her the old costume.

However, attempts to replace the costume are almost all invariably "let's slut it up", or they just abandon the whole harlequin design and go with slutty school girl. You see this in things like Suicide Squad or Arkham games, where they just go full on BDSM. Of course, Arkham has issues with all of their female characters, because they all get super sexualized designs. Apparently Ivy just can't figure out what to wear beyond her Arkham Asylum inmate uniform undone down to her crotch, for example.

I feel like, if you want to replace or change the costume, there has to be something in place of the headpiece that's not just hair. Maybe have the tassel things point back a bit, rotated towards the back of her head, so they don't make her face look comically wide. Keep the domino mask, it helps break up the whole white facial makeup thing. Toss on some pants that have puffed up bottoms maybe, like genie pants? Don't over design the upper body, but also don't make the hood cover her entire hair. Maybe let some of that show. I don't know. Just don't slut it up, that looks horrible, and don't remove everything of it entirely, that just makes the entire harlequin theme pointless.

If you make Harley Quinn look like a hooker or a sexy school girl, you have failed at costume design. Really though, I hate the pigtails design. Especially with colored hair. It looks dumb as gently caress.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Horseshit. The only reason you can see her goddamn nipples through her costume in Arkham Knight is because the artist made that decision. There's dozens of 3D Spider-man games and several films out there and he doesn't look like he's got his costume painted on in any of it. There's even several thousand classic Harley Quinn cosplays at various comic-cons, and while a good deal of them deliberately amp the sexy factor of a skintight outfit, almost none of them end up as gratuitous as what you'll see in a video game. Unless you think this is a sexualized outfit:

Did... did you just try to imply I'm a pedophile?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

No, he said that you can do a non-sexy Harley Quinn costume, then provided one for an example. I don't know how you can read that so wrong.

The fact he chose to do it with pictures of children seems a very extreme example, especially when I wasn't attacking his opinion of her costume.

Regardless, I still think Harley's classic costume usually looks rather dumb when you try to make it "realistic". I didn't say anything about visible nipples and poo poo, just that as a skin tight, form fitting outfit, it's inherently going to be made sexualized by movies and the like. Sure, you can do a non-sexualized version of it. It's just, DC or Warner Bros. aren't going to do that.

Samuringa posted:

How progressive, they didn't censor her vagina bones

I feel like that one could work if you pulled up the waist, made sure she had full pants, and covered the midrift with something. Maybe have the black parts of the shirt and pants be darker black, and have whatever she wears on her midrift be the same grey as the sleeves. The mask works pretty well, I like that design.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 22, 2017

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Morrison also had him kill basically everyone in NYC but nobody talks about that anymore.

From what I remember, that was near immediately retconned as being done by Xorn.

No, not that Xorn. The other Xorn. The first one.

No, no, the other first one.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just to mention, these pictures NEVER seem to look good. Let's wait until we see some animation first; there're a bunch of series that looked like rear end in the initial reveal, but ended up looking much better in motion.

Though this still does look pretty bad.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

How does all this relate to Bruce Timm's Batgirl/Batman fetish in cartoon form?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What if Harley Quinn, but no one knows what to do with her anymore

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

They switched her from Joker's abusive relationship to bubble gum psycho girl, and started pushing her as a wacky, random character who was so totally a rebel.

Basically they're trying to run with her as DC's Deadpool, but without anything that makes good depictions of Deadpool work, and without anything that made good depictions of Harley work.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. I suppose that's why I don't get it. I don't tend to like that kind of character.

At the same time, if that is getting new people into comics who wouldn't have been otherwise, then I'm sure all would agree that this is a good thing on balance.

I mean, it's less "getting new people into comics" and more "selling backpacks and stuff" because kids don't read comics.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Hahaha, there's a framing device? That's so stupid. Just make it an elseworlds!

You haven't noticed? All the trailers have Batman flat saying "oh gently caress we time traveled" and poo poo.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

I dont think doomsday is a good guy tho

Like, ever

Sure he was.

In a Chuck Austen story.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

In fact, they convinced everyone that Clark Kent strangely vanishing at the same time Superman died didn't mean he was Superman by having Matrix (that Supergirl) turn into him and hide under some rubble after Supes came back, so Supes could be seen "rescuing" Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

"I can't jack off to this Cheetara at all!" :argh:

Oh come on, you KNOW that's not true.