Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking as someone who has never actually read the Killing Joke here's how I would have handled Babs:
Maybe have her already retired as Batgirl at the outset with a flashback to her Batgirl days to show how she quit (taking some cues from the Last Batgirl Story that was actually how she retired. That ended with her planning to take a more supporting role anyway, so maybe lay hints she's already been setting up servers and stuff - so the ground for her becoming Oracle was already there. Instead of her being passive after the shooting, she gets her hands on a laptop so she can remotely operate her Oracle setup, so she's the one who finds Joker's hideout ( or maybe found it beforehand and was planning to tell Batman before getting shot. So she's still clearly playing a role in the story.

Sure it's fanfic, but dammit so was Azzarello & Timm's version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've heard that part of the reason why they added Batgirl to the TV show back in '66 because they recast Catwoman with Eartha Kitt and they couldn't continue to use her for Batman's heterosexual credentials because it was the 60s and interracial flirtation was a no-no?

Granted that does not justify Bruce/Barbara in its more recent form at all (or really back then, either).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 27, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Per the DLC Tim married Barbara Gordon and kept fighting crime so apparently it worked out pretty well for him!

I suppose we should have taken that as a sign that DC apparently has to put Barbara Gordon into a poorly written relationship with another member of the Batfamily for cheap drama, because apparently the audience wouldn't care otherwise.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JT Smiley posted:

That was such an odd change that honestly wasn't needed at all, but I guess you could say that about most of Arkham Knight

You could say that about a fair few of DC's recent creative decisions.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just found out there's a free app on my PS4 that lets me watch Spectacular Spider-Man for free. This is a good day.

(Also that weird CG one with NPH as Spider-Man, which is trippy).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

What app?

Pop. It might only be in the UK, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well this provides an intriguing look into a Captain Marvel pitch that never got off the ground (no pun intended) and an insight into the inner workings of Marvel Animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IttvJRFgFJo
Kinda bummed we never got this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aces High posted:

I miss my avatar of Fry eating pancakes :smith:

You...could buy it back?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aces High posted:

Really? I thought when your avatar was replaced the old one was gone for good

Well if you had the old way one saved somewhere. Or you know, just remake it and rebuy it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think the sliding timescale itself never comes up. Comics just always take place in the present because it’s depressing to require Spiderman age into senility because you want to attach a date to the time he teamed up with David Letterman. Comics make no sense.

Hey, Spider-Man: Life Story is actually pretty good so far.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, the synopses for the rest of the episodes of this season of Spider-Man have dropped. Gotta be honest, nothing leaps out at me except Cloak & Dagger, and that's only because they're bringing in the actors from the live action series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why would they help DC tho? You know they just want to add public domain superman and batman to the Avengers

Because Mickey enters the public domain before them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts came back and it is great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

What other comics were made irrelevant by their live action or animated adaptations?

I don't want to say irrelevant, but honestly the Cloak & Dagger TV show does the origin and the leads' relationship in a much more relevant way. Especially since the original is so rooted in '80s New York.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Calaveron posted:

Considering there was a group of villains that was just the fantastic four it undoubtedly was a homage.
That one panel and sequence of spidey lifting all that poo poo is fantastic, and it was finally referenced in Homecoming

Spectacular Spider-Man referenced it first, I think.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

It would at least be a shared responsibility. Spider-Man isn't the only person who's ever punched Dr. Octopus in the head.

Too bad when Ock died in the 90s The Hand didn't resurrect him with any of his long-term injuries healed.

I think it's more likely Slott forgot that happened. I seem to recall that one of the events referenced as part of the litany of injuries that put him in that state was that time Joe Fixit knocked him out with a flick of the finger, which I think happened before he died and was resurrected.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Sorry the Hand's Resurrection ritual will fix whatever caused your death. It does nothing for pre-existing medical conditions.

Another reason why the League of Assassins is better. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just learned that Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts had the same music supervisor as Into The Spider-Verse, which explains a lot.

It was a webcomic first, it still counts. Also it owns bones, go watch it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't think it's likely that we get another season - it's another Loeb project, and those haven't had a very high survival rate since he was booted.

I must admit I didn't really like the core premise of Peter getting taken out of his normal school and put in a science academy. It doesn't sit right with me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, they've got the first season of Spectacular Spider-Man on UK Netflix right now. But only the first. Weird.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I only just learned that apparently Freakangels got an anime adaption?

Got to admit it was the first time I've thought about Freakangels in like 10 years. I'm surprised it would get adapted at all, let alone so much later.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Disney put the first two episodes of Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3geyQP2-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq9jpTwua2Y

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Lackadaisy’s started a crowdfunding campaign for a full season:
https://www.backerkit.com/c/iron-circus-comics/lackadaisy-bookset-and-plushes?ref=youtube_teaser

It’s already made its funding goal.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno if this is something that was specifically mentioned in the pre-release or something, but is Lois Korean in this? Her formalware at Ivo Tower kinda pointed in that direction and now General Lane's character design looks like cartoon Ma Dong-seok

This newest episode was probably the one I liked the most so far, but I am kind of disappointed that the hot anime boy ended up being Deathstroke. It'd be one thing if there was already a grizzled cartoon hardass in the show and they were doing a different take for contrast's sake, but there is none, so as a result this just feels like they hit him with a Voltron(2016) ray.

I mean this is a prequel show so most of the Titans are pre-teens right now. This is Slade before he becomes the Most Divorced Man in the World.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68OueL-Iv2o

Looks promising so far.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can really understand the writers at marvel wanting to go back to a Peter Parker being pulled between multiple potential love interests, that's an easy source of angst, and it helped keep the action going for Peter's social life in the earlier days.

It doesn't help that generally a lot of stories, superhero comics especially, just aren't interested in long-term stable relationships. That's one of the reasons there as a plan in the 90s to swap out to a new Spiderman, so Peter Parker could become just a normal family man, but the clone saga went really badly.
I mean the 'being pulled between multiple love interests' didn't actually happen all that much. You had the Betty and VeronicaLiz stuff in the Lee/Ditko era, you had some light-hearted joking with Gwen & MJ, and there was tension when MJ returned and Felicia and Peter was an item, but that was basically the only times I can think of. Otherwise Peter's a serial monogamist.

I mean it worked in the Spectacular Spider-Man series, mind you, but that was coming out when the Raimi films were recent and you hadn't had the MCU movies, the Spider-Verse movies, and the PS4 games all reinforcing MJ as the endgame.

Lobok posted:

No but then the question is why include her? She now has two major and totally opposite developments hanging over her if she shows up and so to use neither it's like, is the point just to tease the audience the whole time? Or just prove a point? It's why I said she's screwed because the last chances we had to have an alive Gwen failed, and then Spider-Gwen became a thing afterward so it's over now.

If the desire is to have a love interest who doesn't die or become a Spider-hero, there are plenty of other choices or original characters to use. And that's assuming, as someone else just mentioned, you can escape MJ's gravity anyway.
They actually did it with Chat in the Marvel Adventures series, so it can be done. Of course that was an out-of-continuity comic series. But again, they actually committed to that relationship.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Argue posted:

You just reminded me that 616 Chat was introduced in one of the quickly canceled Spider comics like a decade ago and hasn't been seen since :(

It was Anya's Spider-Girl series, (also by Tobin) IIRC. The same one that killed off her (Anya's) dad in the first arc.

We never did find out what the deal was with her sister.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Scott Pilgrim anime is incredible. Everyone should go watch it right now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

just another barely disguised claremont fetish
Kind of feel it was almost more of a Bendis thing, since the latter two were all his idea.

Plus the love interest she had right before he took over writing her in the 616 was Iceman, and well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Suleman posted:

I do wonder if John Byrne as Claremont's artist was a factor at all in the Kitty-Colossus relationship, considering how Heather Hudson in Byrne's Alpha Flight was specifically stated to be 17 years old when she pressured the 30+ year old Mac into marrying her.

EDIT:
And Sue in Byrne's FF fell in love with the older Reed when she was a young girl.

And Mattie Franklin was clearly written as interested in a (newly-widowed) Peter Parker. Wasn't there also an age gap romance in The Lost Generation, too?