Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I doubt it. Felicia strikes me as one of those women who barely shows a bump until like 3 days before her water breaks.

Pretty much. When she announced publicly that she was pregnant, which was only a couple weeks before she was due, Mary Jo Pehl tweeted at her that she had no idea when they were on set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

In the Kickstarter update where he showed concept art for the new Cambot, Joel said that when brainstorming ideas for the new season he'd had the idea that Cambot works for the Mads. I'd never thought of it before (it's just a show, and all that), but it makes some sense that Cambot would've been the one bot that Joel didn't build.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

During the NYC screening on the 14th, Joel said this update would be out "tomorrow." Given his history with promising updates on specific days, I'm not surprised it took almost two weeks. :)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I just notification of more rewards getting sent. Does anyone know what they are?

Based on the schedule, it's probably the mugs, keychains, mission patches, and art prints.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If I remember right, Bill got the job on a Friday and they started shooting on Monday, so he didn't have a lot of time to practice.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Creeper, creeper. You give me the creeps!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

Was there always a small gap on the right side of the silhouette in Catalina Caper?

Most likely yes, but no one saw it back in the day because of overscan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mallon actually went through a bit of a personal crisis a few years back and ended up starting a new career as a therapist. This is entirely just my speculation now, but it could be that that played a role in him being willing to give up the show.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is there an article about this somewhere? Sounds interesting.

I don't think it's widely known. I don't have it handy, but I saw a link posted somewhere a few months ago to his profile on some psychology website which talked about it a little. There wasn't much more detail than what I already posted though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What's the deal with Pod People? It really feels like two different movies stitched together at the last minute.

My understanding is all the stuff with the kid was a late addition to the script to cash in on ET's success.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Can confirm that at least some of the last season aired at 11PM on Sunday. I remember taping Soultaker and getting up really early before school and watching just the host segments before school because I was excited to see Joel and Frank back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

If we're talking underrated episodes, I always felt that Riding With Death should be on more people's lists.

It's one of my all-time favorites, and probably the episode I've watched the most times from the Sci-Fi years.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They did a whole bunch of Universal titles in season 8. I think there were a handful of others as well.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah that's what I figured (though in the past they have generally given at least a one line excuse for stuff like that), no big deal just curious if it got brought up at all.

Keep in mind that nobody has seen anything but the first episode though. It's always possible they explain it some time later.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Since I only have a few more hours to feel smug about having seen this episode already, I'll just give one last tease: I really can't wait to see the first host segment after the movie starts again.

I'll warn real quick though that the opening host segment is exposition-heavy, and in my opinion a little rough, but hang in there. Once they get into the theater for the first time it's smooth sailing.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

About the same, I think.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It was honestly better than I even remembered from the screening. I'm so glad this is back.

I can't believe I have to wait two days now to see the next one. Nobody's ever had to wait that long for new MST3K!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Rap in the first host segment felt right at home. So good.

This was apparently the first host segment of the whole season that they shot, so they were really thrown right into the deep end.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Funny thing is I wasn't even aware we get it on Tuesday. Where was that mentioned? I can't find the update where it's talked about.

Update #48. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1839871

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Awesome, I missed that one, thanks. Though I hope it's actually EST instead of PST like it said. The preview was supposed to be EST, but turned out to be PST.

Yeah, the next update clarified a couple typos in that one. Everything is Pacific Time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

I ended up ordering the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide out of nostalgia and hype. I really wish they'd release an update for that. They basically wrote entries for it with the Sci-Fi Channel's website and all that's left is entries for season seven.

Are the Sci-Fi Channel episode write-ups still available online anywhere?

The Satellite News actually paid them to do season seven a few years after the show ended. http://www.mst3kinfo.com/guide/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm watching 1107 now, and I really liked the reveal that the Mads' inventions are just ripped off from stuff in Jonah and the bots' riffs. I'd noticed a couple of these, but not all, and thought it was just a case of recycled material.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cry Wilderness is definitely my favorite so far. Spoiler for the end of the movie: the teacher's sudden enthusiasm at the prospect of being able to meet Bigfoot is totally out of nowhere and just makes absolutely no sense. It's brilliant.

Grant Baciocco, who is one of the main puppeteers on this season, posted this on the MST Discussion Board about the episode:

quote:

When we were filming this, I instantly realized that the cinematographer listed in the credits lived upstairs from me in my first apartment. By chance, I saw him walking down the street a couple months ago and told him they'd be riffing this film and he flipped out. He said, "I didn't think anybody remembered that film." He said it was the first project he worked on in Hollywood and the whole crew thought that the director was going to be the next Spielberg...until they started filming.

This was the film that had all the puppeteers quoting lines from it. The gifts that Russ and I gave the other puppeteers after we wrapped had a card that read MERRY BIGFOOT. Many laughs were had during the filming of this one.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I'm really hoping so. I also feel like they can cut down on some of the costs because they already have new sets and robots built, and can just tweak them.

Plus, according to the breakdown we were given at the beginning of the Kickstarter, about a third of the budget went to Kickstarter-related costs.

I'm honestly pretty confident they'll get another season. The show is about as cheap to make as modern tv can be, it's getting good press coverage, and Netflix really wants as much original content as possible at this point. Trailer Park Boys has managed to get four seasons on Netflix so far, and unless I'm massively underestimating its popularity in Canada, that's even more obscure than MST.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that one of the backer rewards was a DVD release of the season, do they have any plans on releasing this to the general public at some point?

Yes, but they've said it won't be until some time next year.

ja2ke posted:

Given that Shout! is one of the production partners it seems like a Blu release is inevitable eventually, right?

They're not just a production partner, they completely own the show now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Gonna have to expand that again.

Edit: gah, beaten

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Joel/Mike & the bots weren't nearly as active in the theater as Jonah and the bots are, right? Even excluding Servo flying around it seems like they're doing more while watching the film. Which catches me off guard because I tend to ignore the silhouettes when watching the movie.

Interacting with the screen was always more of a Joel thing than a Mike thing (Mike still did it, but not as much as Joel), and now they've really turned it up to 11 with Joel back in charge and the puppets being upgraded.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The writer of the film was the "lawyer" and somehow he still gave himself absolutely nothing to do.

That's unfair. He was a widdle baby, who woved his mommy and daddy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven't watched Hidden America, but from what I've seen on Jonah's Twitter, a ton of the original cast appears in the second season.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It seems to basically just be a subset of the songs from the Clowns in the Sky albums that have been available for ages. It doesn’t even have the season ten version of the theme song, despite the update making a point of mentioning that it has every version. This wasn’t exactly one of my most anticipated Kickstarter rewards, so it’s not a big deal or anything, but this is the first reward I’ve found a bit disappointing.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pretty sure they said is won’t be until next year, but nothing more specific than that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

I do suspect Joel had the wit to take a few grand and go hire himself a professional adviser on these things. I've seen a lot of people do kickstarters or similar that have gone nowhere, but by Gosh if Penny Arcade can milk a business plan, why not our cow town puppet show?

He definitely did this, and never kept it secret. He worked with a guy named Ivan Askwith, who had previously run the kickstarters for Veronica Mars and Reading Rainbow among other things.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They haven’t set an official release date, but they have said it’ll get a general release next year.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Finally found it. ShoutFactoryTV app.

It’s also been streamed on YouTube every year. I doubt this year will be any different.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, the mystery gift is a disappointment, but there’s a silver lining if you want to make your money back. Spoilers below in case anyone doesn’t want to know about the mystery gift.

Funko sold a very small number of them to the general public a few months ago, supposedly by accident, so they’re going for big bucks to Pop collectors on eBay right now apparently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

8one6 posted:

Awww man... That's really cool, but the same month I got the new house it's just not "$250 from an eBay flipper" cool.

For what it’s worth, it seems pretty unlikely that they’ll stay that expensive for much longer. There were supposedly only a couple dozen out in the wild before, and now there’s gonna be a few thousand sent out as Kickstarter rewards.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Was the usb supposed to have episodes on it? Mine just has the ringtones and wallpapers they released earlier.

Originally, they were supposed to have the first three episodes of the season, but way back in one of the early updates they said the episodes probably wouldn't fit.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I wonder how many people missed the announcement because they thought it was over? It really didn’t seem like anything more was coming.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

mangler103 posted:

11 hit in April, and they filmed it all right at the start of the year, so it's possible it's not far off, especially if they have the movies lined up already.

They shot season 11 in September and October of last year, not the start of this year. I really doubt this is coming before Fall unfortunately. I’m just glad to finally know it’s coming at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Laterite posted:

The Rifftrax crew did a live show using the remastered version a couple years ago. It's on Prime Video: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXMVBYL/ref=tmm_aiv_title_1?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

For whatever it’s worth, that show didn’t actually use the restoration, because it wasn’t ready yet, but it was sourced from the same goon who did the restoration. The print RiffTrax used definitely looked better than what was on MST3K, but it’s still a noticeable step down from the completed restoration.