Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Egbert Souse posted:

Best part of Poopie! is this:

I watched the blooper tape before I actually saw that episode and I was amazed to see how much of that was actually kept in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The classics never die (ie I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kitten With a Whip has one of my favorite show moments where Ann-Margaret gets into the bed at the start of the movie and they do the voice of the stuffed animal she sleeps with.

:camera zooms in on stuffed animal's eyes:

"REMAIN CALM!"

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Was going to say I thought I remembered from the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide that Frank was the one who wrote that sketch in Creeping Terror, and sure enough from mst3kinfo.com:

"In the ACEG they mentioned that segment 3 was written mostly by Frank, who loves sketches where nothing happens for long stretches."

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

The one host segment I need a post-mortem for is "Joey the Lemur". It's so terrible that I can't take my eyes away from it. I need to know what they were thinking when they wrote it.

I love the Joey the Lemur sketch, it's completely deranged.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

Just wanted to say this is one of my favorite episodes, with one of my all-time favorite bits on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHM9FeluKo

"Did she say 'I'm never Jack,' or am I freaking out?!"

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ballz posted:

New Comedy Central episodes were Saturdays at 7, but yeah they aired all the time, probably most well known was their Monday-Friday midnight time slots.

When I started watching the show, it was during season 6, and nearly all of my tape collection is from that M-F midnight slot.

I can still hum the Playboy Playmates video commercial music from heart...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Sometime around '89/'90 I watched Zombie Nightmare on one of USA Network's Saturday night b-movie features.

I had definitely seen Squirm in the late '80s as well on a local station.

I watched a lot of the Universal movies from early season 8 on the local UHF channels when I was a kid.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Oh looks like they had a new bot at the beginning of it. "Waverly"

https://www.facebook.com/mysterysciencetheater3000/videos/1271219182925473/

That was pretty funny. And I don't hate the voices! The new guys play off of each other pretty nicely.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I'm working from home tomorrow, both of the people I report to are out tomorrow, and my workload will be light.

Going to watch MST3K all day :getin:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Watching 1101 and just have to say "Vroom, vroom, I'm driving the freezer!" has undone me.

This is very good.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The guy doing Crow sounds so much like Corbett it's scary.

I'm seeing the things people have been nitpicking about earlier this week but I just can't give a poo poo. It's minor stuff and the riffing is great.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

the entire thawing scene/"THE TEMPERATURE IS 20 DEGREES" bit is one of my new favorites

"THE DOOR IS AJAR."

Holy poo poo that arrangement of the Love Theme at the end.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

"I've shouted at three different boys' schools, is this the right Paul?!"

"We're dogs! We're here to say we love you Paul!"

Going to wake up everyone in the house laughing like this.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 14, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Despera posted:

God 5 minutes in and this movie in episode 2 is loving weird

Uh they're kinda hard on the animals in this movie too :stare:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Clouseau posted:

Uh I too am watching Cry Wilderness in the wee hours and what a delight. I enjoyed Reptilicus but this feels like vintage mst.

It really does.

"I saw you sealed up in a cave!"
"Well, Happy Easter."

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Cry Wilderness is definitely my favorite so far. Spoiler for the end of the movie: the teacher's sudden enthusiasm at the prospect of being able to meet Bigfoot is totally out of nowhere and just makes absolutely no sense. It's brilliant.

Yeah I just finished this and ahahahaha.

That and the fate of the big game hunter seemed a little out of place for what was ostensibly a kids' film :stare:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I love how at the start of the third episode Max is wearing the Bigfoot pendant from Cry Wilderness

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

The syncopation of the theme to fit the new meter of the lyrics is odd, but not bad. It's just harder to sign along for now.

It's jarring, but I like Gypsy's voice now being done by an actual lady, not a guy doing a terrible falsetto. She comes off less like a caricature, more like a nice lady superintendent fixing up the SoL.

On the one hand, I miss Gypsy's old voice. On the other hand, it's now just sort of like having Magic Voice just be given robot form, so :shrug:

It is weird having the host segments be relatively brief.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Rikki Tikki Tarantula

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Beast From Hollow Mountain needed the titular creature to show up for more than just the end.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

What the hell is the thing with the bubbles that keep popping up on the screen though? It's a little distracting.

I assumed it's the "liquid video" media thing that is Kinga's invention. They talk about it a couple of times over the first few episodes

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The UFO song in Starcrash is great.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Avalanche and Yonggary are pretty drat good. Avalanche has some hilariously over the top deaths only loosly tied to the Avalanche itself.

Overall I didn't care for Avalanche but it had its moments: "There was a cheerleader in the kitchen?!"

BigRed0427 posted:

What are the crates Gypsy keeps lowering into the theatre? Is that ever explained?

Apparently they don't, sounds like Joel just wanted her to have a way to be in the theater.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ok I'm really enjoying Starcrash, they did a good job on this one.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The cameo in Starcrash: holy poo poo.

Ahaha and the spaceship name bit.

"Christopher Plummer's Little Helper! Mother's Little Helper! And My Brother From Another Mother!"

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 15, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Ape of Naples posted:

Ha. I'm broke and will probably never see any Jonah eps.

It sounds good though so that's a positive.

Ed Balls
E wrong thread

Hi Trump thread poster. You can get Netflix free for a month, have you tried that?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Ape of Naples posted:

Do you need a credit card to sign up?
I'm sure they'll be somewhere at some point.

It's been a year since I did that, they probably do. Or if you have PayPal maybe?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

The robot visuals and dismemberments are really distinctive and done very nicely.

I never watched it but I remembered reading a feature on it in the early '80s in a very, very old FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine owned by a cousin. It played up the makeup effects on the mutants and androids, so when I saw they were doing this it triggered a wave of nostalgia.

Fun fact: Jonah and the Bots point out that Forrest "Forry" Ackerman makes a cameo in the movie - he was the editor of the magazine.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

^^yep it's him, he's listed in IMDB for the movie as "square-frame technician."

Bruteman posted:

I assumed it's the "liquid video" media thing that is Kinga's invention. They talk about it a couple of times over the first few episodes

Quoting myself but at about 34:10 into The Land that Time Forgot, they do a commercial bumper that explains the liquid thing:

"The God Monitor uses Kinga's liquid television technology, KingaChrome, to transmit images and sound in Moon 13."

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I can't tell is Meep Morp is a Steven Universe sufferance, or just a Justin Roiland character name.

I love the commercial breaks, even thought they're pointless, they're enjoyable, plus cool versions of old MST3k songs.

I think the commercials are meant to be an homage to local station bumpers, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnFpjl7942c

"Moon 13, the Moon" equating to "Channel 13, [insert your city here]"

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

I'm on episode 8 and cannot express how happy I am this show has kept the momentum and good poo poo up. Nothing will ever beat "The Bigfoot Movie That Is Not At All Actually About Bigfoot" but there's some STRONG contenders deeper in.

After watching the first seven, Reptilicus, Cry Wilderness, Time Travelers and Starcrash were my favorites so far.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I think upthread someone said the Skeleton Krew uniforms may have been inspired by Inframan, but a friend pointed out to me that they may have taken some inspiration from Psychomania (phone is acting up, just Google that or The Death Wheelers to see what I mean).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Welp that'll learn me, thanks!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh my loving god I died at the censorship in Avalanche. That's the kind of gag they never could've done before and it's BRILLIANT. Please give us another season, Netflix. TIA.

Actually pretty sure Joel did this with an umbrella or something to cover up Kim Cattrall bathing in City Limits.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Okay they started Loves of Hercules with a Bloom County/Outland joke, my respect for them grows.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom starting strong (and that James Horner "Battle Beyond the Stars" music!)

Gotta say, for all the complaints about how rushed the riffs are, it feels like somewhere around episode 7 they started easing up a bit and they feel a little more like older era MST3K.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Wizards of the Lost Kingdoms is goofy as hell and knows it, and the riffing is great.

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 is boring as hell and lazy and the riffing can't save it.

I feel like it's an odd distinction to make cause they're both "bad" but eh.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Check out one of the other movies she did with Count Zarth Arn, Maniac. Great character study of a serial killer. Siskel hated it, but it's definitely an underrated film. Plus, it shows off her acting talents, which are solid.

I'm also 90% sure that his voice was dubbed by someone else in Starcrash.

If you grew up in the 80s in the U.S. your first exposure to her was likely Adam Ant's video for "Goody Two-shoes."

Carnival Magic was deadly dull and I might have enjoyed it if it wasn't played so relatively straight, but yikes.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Didn't really care for the Xmas movie but At the Earth's Core is pretty entertaining.

Also, uh the end of that last episode :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe this is a menu and you have to click on what story we want to see.

Seriously that opening to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom feels like they originally shot a tv show but it got turned into a movie.

I'm watching that again right now, and that whole opening sequence is hysterical.

"This is less medival times and more medival Tims."

I think my favorite riff in that one is where the bug lady puts the kid in that bizarre dream sequence trance and when the film smash cuts back to the lady they drop "...and that's how babies are made.'