Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Wasn't one of the other initial plans for the Gizmoplex to have the 1-10 episodes available ad-free for only a limited time, and then eventually slap ads on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Call our 900 number and vote!

Hobgoblins, Werewolf, Final Sacrifice, Pumaman - they did a lot of just absolutely bonkers movies in the 9th season.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Thank god they're swapping to a real set. Now I hope its better than the Netflix one, which just seemed kind of lifeless to me.

Maybe I'm just a crank and things aren't the way that they were when I was a kid.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Season 11 having a referencing to Mount Airy Lodge (all you need to bring/is your love of anything) was finally my chance to enjoy a joke about a regional ad.

Though, living in the midwest now I can enjoy all of the Menards references on a much deeper level than everyone else.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

Other than Joel and Emily I'd LOVE for them to lose the cast. Please get these famous people out of my MST3k.

My unlikely wishlist for this show:

- Physical sets that feel they have dimension like in the old show. Even the netflix set felt kinda flat somehow?
- Bots that 'feel' like the Kevin Murphy/Bill Corbett bots. Maybe not impersonations but at least consistent characterization and voices that have similar registers.
- Make GPC dumb again. Name is fine but that character was so endearing and now it's just 'girl' which tbh kind of defeats the purpose of the change. There's also a perfectly good lore reason for her dumbness.
- New mads that aren't famous but just really funny individuals with excellent chemistry.

I think the writing has been pretty great.

I hope they pull off reaching their goal or have a contingency plan because I'd of course rather not-ideal MST than no MST. :smith:

Yeah I'd cosign all of this. A thing that bugs me a little bit and maybe I'm just being really picky and I only notice this because I was told it, but I don't love that the actors aren't doing the puppeteering. Bill isn't as handy a guy as Trace is, but after a few episodes he figured out how to make Crow emotive anyway.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

They should replace the little MST3K globe in the corner with a QR code to the fundraising page.

EDIT: I really think they need to be a lot more annoying asking for money. I've seen two commercial breaks and nothing about it other than the understated crawl on the bottom. We should all be deeply annoyed about how much they're begging for cash. It doesn't feel like they're in a multi million hole with little time left!

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 23, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I do wonder if, after time, people will consider the revival seasons as right on par with the rest of the show. I remember a time when the Scifi episodes were largely considered less than their CC counterparts, which people don't really do anymore.

In fairness to the new episodes as well, the old show had an awful lot of breathing room in most of the seasons to have meh episodes, whereas today where our best hope is for 12 episodes.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

We'll start here.
"At goofy clown face."

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I've always dug The Painted Hills. It was funny to watch an extremely mid Lassie movie.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Phase IV is a classic I've seen multiple times including recently in theaters. The original ending which was cut from release is amazing.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I've wanted to watch one of those director's editions or whatever of Touch of Satan where you see a better transfer, because I always have been curious about how the exterior shots looked interesting, but the transfer they had for that episode was loving awful.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I think Patton and Felicia are fine but they get saddled pretty heavily with plot stuff, which isn't that interesting. I wish they just made funny little segments, I'm not invested in the lore.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah the season eight segments have really grown on me- the Brain Guy planet is one of the funniest runs they had there. Imo, the difference is that that plot was pretty much just an excuse to give the mads a new setting for 3-6 episodes. The new stuff just feels very plotty and not gag focused and I'm just not interested in it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Mary Jo really throws herself entirely at Pearl, and its a bummer people were so lovely to her about it.

There's the obvious reasons why a certain segment of fans would be terrible about it, but then also there's that whatever is new MST3K is doing is bad (I remember people getting upset that they were releasing the scifi eps on dvd!! there were still comedy central episodes to do!) and the old stuff is unimpeachable classics.

Now to get back to my complaints about the new seasons...

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah she got hate mail and it bummed her the gently caress out. Nerds hate change + misogyny.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Mary Jo and Bridget have some riffs on Rifftrax and everything they do is just loving magical. If you've never seen them you're really missing out.

The drunken aunts vibe is so good.

This "short" (30 minutes!) is one of my favorite riffs: https://www.rifftrax.com/wonderful-world-of-tupperware

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I think it was less Easy Rider and more exploitation off of growing anxieties about California's biker gangs, Hunter S Thompson's book Hell's Angels came out in 67.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

HopperUK posted:

The not-really-a-joke phrase that's lodged in my brain is Observer saying cheerfully that he's invited his friends over "to watch Sliders in my room." I have no idea why that's so funny to me.

That's one of those things where I wonder how annoying Sliders commercials were on Sci-Fi at that moment, since that was one of the other Sci-Fi originals then.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Merlin's Shop is one of my favorites - its also the episode that I decided I would start recording the show for (yes, that means I started recording with the last aired on cable episode)

"Its a book of magic."
"With a popomatic."

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Hogama posted:

Rob Schrad

(I actually just wanted to highlight this one in particular because Rob Schrad is the creator of Scud: The Disposable Assassin and he's written about how he was a guest writer on MST3K.)

I know Schrab directed season 12. The credits for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians credits a Rob Schrad - is it the same guy? Did they typo his name in the credits?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Wild! I never knew that.

Too bad they didn't take any of his jokes, but I think the season 12 segments looked a bit better than those in 11.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I kind of think the movie being shorter than an episode is an asset to it. The movie is a really good intro to the show if you have no context for it, the This Island Earth itself isn't particularly bad, and it ends before you get bored.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

"we'll start right here"
"At goofy clown face."

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The riffing in the 13th season is my favorite of the revivals- the pacing is much better. Emily and her cast is a lot of fun. The real miss for me is the dumb plot arc stuff. I'm a real Johnny about them: I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

For some reason, Hobgoblins has been one of my absolute favorite episodes since I first saw it on reruns on scifi. I think largely its because I don't really find the movie nearly as painful as they do - its just a poor Gremlins knockoff - and the first segment with them being annoying kids on the couch and then later the cardboard cutouts segment crack me up.

Stay away from those juice boxes!!!!