Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thanks to Travis' list, I'd say we have one more boxset after the just announced volume before things get interesting.

But bombshell releases have happened before (Gamera the most obvious example) so I'd say nothing is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HungryMedusa posted:

Yeah I really love that episode; everything about it.

Steves don't preach, I'm in trouble deep!

I still have the Thanksgiving version somewhere. Potatoes v stuffing is great and Bridget as Mr B is pretty much the only thing I've liked her in.

The Thanksgiving version was the episode I taped and rewatched. Was dumbfounded some time later catching a rerun and it had different host segments.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Here Comes the Circus and Catching Trouble are both top tier for me.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Buy Frank's book! Buy Frank's book!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

How is it we continue to live in a world where Nukie remains unriffed

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Davros1 posted:

Got my Vol XXXVII yesterday, and it DIDN'T have the bonus disc, even though I preordered as soon as it was announced

Hit them up and let them know, probably everyone who pre-ordered should be getting that bonus disc. I pre-ordered like, two weeks ago and they still had them available at the time.

My copy still hasn't arrived yet so I dunno if it'll be missing the disc or not. The shipping email made it clear it was included, though.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder if the Rhino volume re-releases will become more frequent once they've finished this list.

They're chugging along with them right now. Volume 4 was just announced for re-release (Space Mutiny, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Girl in the Gold Boots, Hamlet)

Edit: Things are definitely about to get verrrry interesting as to what episodes Shout will be able to put out in a box set going forward. The best resource in keeping track of these remains Travis Hosey's thread on the MST3K forum.

The four "easiest" episodes left to acquire are all in season 6, and it'd be kind of strange for a box set to cover just a single season's worth of content (besides the Gamera box set). Aside from that, there are no obvious choices left, although if you're keeping up with that thread, you'll see there might be some movement on getting Track of the Moonbeast.

Diabolik, Girls Town, and the Space Children could possibly make it onto a set, depending on if the current rights holders give them up in the coming year.

Still, I never thought the day would come where we start winding down the release of new MST3K box sets. Great job, Shout (and great job loving up, Rhino, we wouldn't have ever gotten Godzilla v. Megalon if it weren't for your incompetence :cheers:)

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 23, 2016

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The issue with volume 9 was Women of the Prehistoric Planet. Rhino ended up licensing the movie from people who, well, didn't actually have the license for it.

The good news is the movie rights belong to Wade Williams, who has licensed several other MST movies to Shout, so a proper re-release should be feasible. As far as we can tell, the only MST movie he won't license out is Rocketship X-M, due to a personal fondness for the film.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The creepiest thing about the Creeping Terror (no pun intended) were the sexual undertones whenever the monster ate women. The shots on the legs being sucked in linger a tad too long and then the monster's head then rocks about with its appendages flailing... ugh.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

He was 18-ish I believe. And yes, Mamie. :chanpop:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Maxwell Lord posted:

The best sketch is sadly from an episode that isn't going to be released, probably:

https://youtu.be/G4eR-uZTJZ8

(I managed to snag the DVD set this appeared on before it was pulled.)

I knew exactly what this was before clicking on it.

Rhino's best fuckup ever.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don't think they've ever done an episode at a time. As much as I would like them to, I doubt they'll make an exception for MST

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

monster on a stick posted:

Which of the writers are returning to the Netflix show?

Joel and... I think that's it as far as the original writers go.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

Mine was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8xguNziN4o

Hey, mine too. :shobon:

Although I think it was Cave Dwellers/Pod People that really got me hooked.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm watching It Lives By Night instead of MANOS now. At least I haven't seen It Lives By Night 45 times.

I've decided to go have some Fun in Balloonland. Please send help

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Seeing Calvin and Hobbes on the front of the newspaper Frank was holding made me nostalgic and sad. :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Did they send that as an email? I never got that message.

That does suck. I have the original triple decker DVD so I guess I'll be canceling.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gavok posted:

I put together a bigass guide to watching MST3K the official way. Basically a big list of every episode and where they're legally available.

Strangely, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Prince of Space aren't available anywhere right now.

SCCTM is surprising, I would've expected it to at least be a Shout Select title. I'm sure it'll pop up as a streaming title sooner or later. Might be a good Rifftrax Monday release this month....

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

As an MST nerd and also a vinyl nerd, I wholeheartedly approve.

Be sure you get the recently released Manos soundtrack on wax.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Help me identify this episode for my dad:

-has a character with bat wing helmet
-It's not Deathstalker
-Probably a Joel episode
-he thought it was "Swedish" but I don't remember such a character in Sinbad or Sampo
-might be black and white
-It's also not Batwoman

Edit: my guess -- Cave Dwellers? I can't remember what the villain's helmet looked like.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 4, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Showed him the pic and he doesn't think so. He says it was bat wings on the forehead of the helmet and that Joel/Mike and the bots had a field day with it.

He again reiterated it was black and white. It's driving me nuts too, because it does sound familiar but this may be turning into a Shazaam thing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I thought it was Deathstalker too but we watched it tonight and while he thoroughly enjoyed it, he says it's not the one.

He's now describing it as being like a football helmet with tiny bat wings on the front

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Think I'm just gonna have to marathon the entire series with him, oh well. :shrug:

Thanks, everyone. I'll probably do Viking Women and Cave Dwellers next, cuz man I really want to know what he's talking about.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't know if it's the one Ballz is looking for, but you're describing The Undead, which is a pretty batshit crazy movie even by MST3K standards.

You know, I don't think I've seen it in about 15 years, I always get it mixed up in my head with The Thing That Couldn't Die. But my Dad's hardly seen any Sci Fi era, so I doubt it's that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

kiimo posted:

Okay because I heard an exact date from somebody working on it. I was unsure if that is info I should share but "end of March" is right.

If that's the case, then yeah, not public yet.

Time to get hype. :dance:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hopefully the transfer of Merlin's Shop is fixed. The original release was total garbage

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If I recall, audio was also super low. I pretty much had to turn the volume up to max when watching it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/jelvisweinstein/status/833876794470068225

Did we know Josh had cancer? It certainly explains why he hasn't been involved in anything since the end of CT.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think that's what everyone expects, although I can see them holding off on the Christmas episode until later in the year.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

How in the hell did Radar Secret Service get so high on the list. Really the bottom 10 should be nothing but season 1, Hamlet, Starfighters and that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Felicia Day is apparently a huge MST3k fan and her response to Joel asking her to be a Mad was supposedly "omg plzzzzzzz"

Patton's reaction was basically the same.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I remember there was also an episode where I think it was Tom commented on a moon looking like the MST3K logo and Joel had to whisper they weren't supposed to know about that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DivisionPost posted:

Your mileage may vary with Love (I dig it too). BoJack Horseman takes a while to rev up but I'm evangelical about it (it's my avatar, though I borrowed the text from The Last Boy Scout). Word of warning, though: if you suffer from depression, poo poo might get a little too real.

Can't stress this enough. First time through, the opening scene of season 2 triggered a loving flashback for my wife, who said she had that exact same conversation with her mom, almost word for word, when she was a child. Too real is an understatement, man. :smith:

Having said that, it's a great show and you should definitely check it (and Stranger Things) out. Netflix is great to also visit or revisit some non-original shows. I think Breaking Bad got much of its fanbase from Netflix, and It's Always Sunny is our go-to "watch when nothing else is on" show.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jack Gladney posted:

Dick Contino is also the lead character of a hard-boiled James Elroy novel. There's some accordion in it, if I recall correctly.

It also has some direct references to filming Daddy-O. Its called "Dick Contino's Blues," and can be found in a few anthologies I believe.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

New Comedy Central episodes were Saturdays at 7, but yeah they aired all the time, probably most well known was their Monday-Friday midnight time slots.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

rydiafan posted:

I have decided that Trace Beaulieu is the best cast member. Clayton Forrester is my favorite villain, Crow is my favorite robot, and he is my favorite Crow.

Discuss.

Your opinion is correct. I think that's about it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Totally fine with the voices. Puppet movement tho... having their arms (kind of) work is neat, but I worry it's at the expense of Crow's independent eye movement. Servo also seemed to turn his entire body as opposed to just his head.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if this really need to be spoilered, but just in case...

Thanks, I saw that and knew I recognized it from somewhere. Kinda surprised Jonah and the bots didn't point it out.

Edit: And maybe we already knew this, but I was happy to see Paul Chaplin's name in the writing credits. Poor guy kind of dropped off the face of the earth after the show ended its SyFy run.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 10, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think I'd probably give the episode a grade of a solid "B" overall. The intro definitely felt too forced/long and while I do like Tom's and Crow's new voices they do sound a lot more similar than I was expecting, which sometimes made it hard to know who was delivering the riff in the theater. The convoluted way they now control the puppets seemed to give problems with Crow and Gypsy's mouth movements in particular -- they weren't as synched/pronounced as they were in the original series.

The riffing was overall good but the faster pace may take some getting used to. The movie choice was great. Kind of a dry ho-hum movie with Dutch people that goes completely off the loving rails whenever the monster shows up

Overall I think it's a solid return with some great potential going forward. I think it should be best compared with episodes 101 and 801, and in that regard, I think it's the best episode of the three.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Has anyone been able to watch the new episode on Xbox? I can't find the VHX app using Xbone's lovely interface, but this link claims it got added back in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gavok posted:

I ended up ordering the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide out of nostalgia and hype. I really wish they'd release an update for that. They basically wrote entries for it with the Sci-Fi Channel's website and all that's left is entries for season seven.

Are the Sci-Fi Channel episode write-ups still available online anywhere?

Also the fans who run MST3Kinfo paid the gang to do writeups for season 7, so aside from the new episodes, the entire series is covered.

Edit: still can get beaten on this dead website apparently