Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"I'm post-wall and Chad no longer wants me, so I've settled for a nice guy who I would have otherwise friendzoned."

I can figure out what most of this blather means, but what the gently caress does the bolded part translate to in normal person?

If I put on my "shithead" filter I'd guess it refers to the "wall" where a woman's looks--her only worthwhile asset--are no longer in the 18-30 rage that society deems the prime window for feminine beauty.

Pick posted:

Also the "I wish I had a guy like you" line is 99% used by girls to essentially ask a guy out, and how men have learned to interpret this as a negative is beyond me.

Rationalization is the mask cowardice wears.

Chomp8645 posted:

Why women think they have to "fake" ask a guy out when they could just ask him out is beyond me.

You know how asking a girl out is scary? Yeah that goes both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone who has "animal lover" as a primary personality trait and isn't working in some career that involves animals on a professional level is confirmed vacuous.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Carmant posted:

Interesting theory.. but maybe they just love animals

If you have to lead off with it as a personality trait, it's like advertising your music as "sound."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Pictured: Nice Guy Going His Own Way

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't source but I recall some study that interviewed guys about it, and to most of them it's the digital equivalent of going to the bar and asking every woman "will you sleep with me?" until he gets a yes. It will take ages, but eventually they do get a hit, and if they're just looking for a low effort--high payout casual sex game then sending dick pics is sadly the lowest effort to highest possible reward. I imagine it helps if the dude has a good body and decent dick.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how the whole "women don't treat us as human" argument ignores that throughout all of recorded history being human has meant that you got treated really really badly almost regardless of your circumstances for the overwhelming majority of the world. Like ok let's assume that they're totally right and they're treated as subhuman garbage... how is this any different from how the vast majority of everyone has been treated? The gently caress makes you entitled to anything different?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I'm a guy and I could say that I've "friend zoned" plenty of women, because there are plenty of girls out there whose company I enjoy but I'm not interested in a romantic relationship at all

That's what always gets me about these guys. I'm kind-of a garbage person with major issues and I've still fallen rear end-backwards into hook-ups and relationships with decent-looking women by virtue of not having my head up my rear end, even at my absolute worst which my post history will attest to being pretty loving bad. The amount of grief these guys could save with even a little effort is astonishing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Carmant posted:

Try being ugly and then we'll talk

Space Poodle posted:

Effort? Effort!! HDU!

Pussy is supposed to literally fall out of the sky into their laps.

Srs, tho. RooshV bitched about having to wipe his own rear end to impress the ladies. For real. He resents having to wipe his own rear end.

Which one seems more plausible.... that I'm so good-looking that in spite of being a human trash monster who has posted on this dumb gay site a scary amount over 12 or so years I've still managed to find women who are interested in me, my life, and my penis.... or that maybe the competition literally resents having to conform to hygiene standards below that of your average zoo animal....

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Carmant posted:

So youre saying if I want a gf I just have to wipe my rear end more, I already wipe it a lot and take showers every day but if thats what I need to do I suppose I'll give it a shot

No no you got it wrong you have to wipe your rear end in front of her so that she knows you're clean.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

You can get laid if you're short, don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Clear my schedule. I've got some ladies I need to go unfuck.

radiatinglines posted:

I'd like to see how you came to that conclusion, because the only meaning I've ever gleamed from radiohead lyrics is "thom yorke likes folk sayings"

The shadow of "Creep" looms large indeed. Plus most of their music sounds like unintelligible whining until the 5th listen at which point it sounds like intelligible whining.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Smiths are the best nice guy music to grow up loving because once you listen to them and are kind-of disgusted by how whiny they are you know that you've grown up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Become rich, problem solved.

Nah like look at all the tech worker weirdos who got a ton of money but are still too broken to have relationships-- they end up obsessed with women sponging on them while loving Chad "Alimony" Thundercock every night they're stuck in the office.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

anyone remember Dashboard Confessional?

As for now I'm gonna hear the saddest songs
And sit alone and wonder
How you're making out
But as for me, I wish that I was anywhere with anyone
Making out.

Oh god you reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNxzdnZVIp0

:allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whence nice guys and beets chance to meet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voVY3-Xe8KY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spatial posted:

They basically apply videogame logic to reality and relationships. Unsuprisingly this doesn't end well

"That woman NPC doesn't like me or doesn't want to date me at this exact moment their emotion is forever set in stone and will negatively affect my end of game score. This would not have happened if I had a gun my start of game stats were higher"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

I don't normally tell this story, but I think there are some lurkers trying to learn things in this thread (don't learn social interaction from the internet, you need to go outside and learn in person!), so here's an example of something a dude did which made me unhappy. No woman I ever dated has ever done anything similar, or seemed like she would, which I think says a lot about why it's easy to lesbian-date and hard to hetero-date.

I had been seeing this guy for a short while. We were only a few dates in, but things seemed to be going all right. He seemed responsible and fair and generally like a decent sort of person. He invited me to come meet his friends at the bar (and not like a dive bar, just one of the ones where normal folk hang out), and I accepted, because I thought that this was him showing trust in me and legitimate interest in having a relationship with me. I think trust is the most important aspect of a relationship, so I assumed this was a good sign. He came and picked me up at my place, and he drove me to the bar. We're having a good chat along the way, friendly a fun. Then, once we get to the bar, he goes around the side of the car to open the door for me. It's not a necessary gesture, but I don't mind it. However, as I'm getting out of the car, he says, "I want my friends to like you, so you will keep your mouth shut."

I was considerably taken aback by this, but I did as instructed. I barely spoke the entire evening, and mostly just nodded or let him answer questions about me. I didn't feel good about it but I felt confused and was trying to work out what was going on. Once we finished up, and got back into the car, he was elated. He thought everything went great. I still wasn't speaking much, since I was processing things. He just kept blabbering and blabbering about what a great evening it had been. At some point, I realize we're taking a route I don't recognize, and I'm like, huh? And he says, "We're going back to my place :smug:". I hadn't been to his place before, and we weren't at the point where we were having sex. He had definitely not broached the idea of going back to his place beforehand. I said, "No, I would like to go home, please."

Of course, he lost his temper immediately, and accused me of being a horrible bitch who "ruined the perfect evening" and "why would [I] gently caress up everything now?" Eventually I convinced him that I was serious and he needed to take me home. He complained the entire way back, but he did take me back to my place, and I of course did not invite him in to follow me. He sent me a string of abusive text messages all night. A few days later they were all apologetic, but then they became hostile again. None of them ever seemed to realize why I had been unhappy, though, and they rang false considering that he was clearly only apologizing because he knew I was unhappy and not because he thought he'd done anything wrong. (In fact, a few were even "I don't know what happened but--") I got periodic texts for him for about a year after that, even when I told him not to contact me any more. He's probably told plenty of people about the crazy bitch who suddenly went ice queen on him and dumped him for no reason.

Cool story Pick.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

It's like they build up the nerve to message someone and sit there holding their breath, and as soon as they give up they start ranting about how much they hate women.

It's like a giant fart in their mouth that they can't hold in any longer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And the follow-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foE1mO2yM04

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

i like that posted:

I see this complaint a lot about 'divorce rape'. Maybe more men should go after women with good education and job and support wage equity and all that workplace women in management stuff so should there be a divorce they would be making out with a net gain $$$

But then they'd have to meet a stronger woman's standards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lol if your vagina isn't deep enough to turn you into a human Klein bottle

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i always feel bad when a woman has to turn me down when i text for the second date or whatever cuz after they say no i say it's cool they go aww you're one of the good ones which lets me know how often guys are fragile shitheads when reacting like a normal human to rejection makes you one of the "good ones"

This, except I've got a hardcore case of resting bitch face so a lot of girls think I'm super upset about them not wanting to follow-up, and nothing says "I have a problem" more than having to go out of your way to say "I don't have a problem" so I just keep my mouth shut. I mean I guess I could install hooks in my face and forehead to keep it all :downs: all the time. How do ladies feel about hook-faced monstrosities? It evens out in the long run when I don't do poo poo like say, harass them or act passive-aggressive or generally behave like a kindergartner who didn't get his favorite snack after recess, but I don't get your cool Groovelord benefits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Similar situation, a girl I was friends with for a couple years got super weird and hostile about me dating her roommate. When I first met angry friend I would've been down but she didn't seem interested so never asked her out and we became good friends. Never did quite figure out what the issue was there but me and her roommate ended on good terms after a few months when I moved away for a job.

She liked you from the outset and was poo poo at showing it, and/or she got possessive of you as a friend and was pissed to see you have a romantic/sexual life outside of her control.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aside from like, Dante what famous accounts of ye olde nice guys are there?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress yes he qualifies

quote:

There is little definite information in Petrarch's work concerning Laura, except that she is lovely to look at, fair-haired, with a modest, dignified bearing. Laura and Petrarch had little or no personal contact. According to his "Secretum", she refused him because she was already married. He channeled his feelings into love poems that were exclamatory rather than persuasive, and wrote prose that showed his contempt for men who pursue women....

...Later in his "Letter to Posterity", Petrarch wrote: "In my younger days I struggled constantly with an overwhelming but pure love affair – my only one, and I would have struggled with it longer had not premature death, bitter but salutary for me, extinguished the cooling flames. I certainly wish I could say that I have always been entirely free from desires of the flesh, but I would be lying if I did".

Or maybe not then the article talks about how maybe she was all made up or something :shrug:

E---

Pick posted:

chroniclesss of youuungg weerrrtheeerrrr

Oh wow, yeah. What is it with dudes and thinking that killing themselves will make a girl realize they truly loved him? If a girl killed herself because she couldn't be with me my grief wouldn't be because I realized I loved her romantically, it'd be a mix of guilt, and anger that someone used the idea of me as a focal point for their emotional illnesses.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 8, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Troposphere posted:

symbolist art is pretty nice guy in general it's all about how women are evil red haired whores who have sex with Satan and not you(unless they do have sex with you but then you get an std and die)

Wait holy crap this reminds me so much of T'Sais from the Dying Earth it's pretty funny. Story here if you care: http://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/73022/3/Vance_-_The_Dying_Earth.html

The tl;dr is that there's a guy named Ettar who was seduced by a pretty redhead as a young man, only to find her loving a "demon." She then used magic to force him to watch her gently caress all sorts of "demons," then cursed him by giving him the face of the "demon" he found most repulsive. Bear in-mind on multiple occasions in the book he describes a common type of demon as a "Deodand" who is literally a large handsome black man with slits for eyes and powerful claws.

The third act is him finding her at a bacchanal ceremony where she fucks more "demons" and he captures her alongside his new waifu T'Sais who is this gorgeous pure innocent pure woman knight from a pure and innocent world whose only flaw is that she perceives everything as repulsive, only to find out that the Earth is even more repulsive than the innocent and pure innocent pure world she came from. They find out that the redhead can't give him his old face back so in the span of like 2 paragraphs they travel straight to some temple where an old god passes out judgment. He takes one look at the three of them and fixes Ettar's face, fixes TS'ais' broken brain, and curses the redhead to have a hideous demon face. Thus Ettar and T'Sais go off into the pure and innocent sunset.

The real kicker? It's actually not that bad a pulp story. It's imaginative and fairly well-written for that sort of thing. It just has a textbook nice guy subtext, complete with vague and uncomfortable race anxiety.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not really "ha ha" funny, it's more like an "oh poo poo a guy who is like the worst possible version of us from middle school actually grew up to be an even worse version of that... and then he actually went and killed people holy poo poo if I don't chuckle about this it becomes terrifying and sad in truly horrific ways."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PallasAthene posted:

It was awkward at school for a few weeks since we had a bunch of classes together, but then we got a new girl who was Japanese, and he stopped trying to talk to me.

Vintage weeaboo.

KomodoWagon posted:

:stare: Yup, you prevented a rape and possible long-term kidnapping/abduction or straight up murder. Pat yourself on the back goonette

Yeah jesus loving christ good on you CubanMissle.

E= \/ \/ \/ "Bateman radiation" that's good. I'm using it. It's mine now.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 8, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every zone is a friend zone... if you're friendly enough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kanye has a zone all his own, but he's adamant you don't let him into it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Nice guys like Jorah Mormont "the Bear" of Game of Thrones fame, he got his rear end straight-up friendxiled by his beloved Khaleesi.

Don't expect the Mother of Dragons to suddenly let you clutch her eggs just because you've been a staunch ally hanging around her constantly, blindly devoted to her cause all this time. She doesn't owe you a thing in that palatial bedroom of hers, bucko, especially not while on guard duty during her scented oil baths and royal scrubdowns..!

:smaug:

A nice touch from the books is that Jorah is shown entirely from Dany's perspective, where he creeps from the sidelines and gets all butthurt-by-proxy when she starts loving Daario. It really gets you to relate to Dany's mindset of "Thank you Jorah. No I don't want to gently caress you Jorah I never did stop hanging around like a puppy. Oh god please stop being such a creeper Jorah." Then after she exiles him we don't see him until Tyrion's chapters take him to Essos, at which point we see Jorah hanging with a prostitute who looks like Dany.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's all outlined in this documentary expose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHhaIRevB-Y

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Literal video evidence that being a good person still doesn't entitle you to sex.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't die Rat-jack we're in the friend zone

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rejection is like having to stretch out contracted limbs on a patient stuck in a hospital bed for a year. No one involved wants to do it and there's no way to do it that won't hurt like a motherfucker, but it's got to be done if that patient wants any hope of a decent life.

Well, sadists/masochists throw that for a loop but as we've seen one thing that tends to mark all Nice Guys is an extremely low pain threshold.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Totally TWISTED posted:

But what is a "table tent"?

I thought it was a weird euphemism for boner for a second and was all "wait no that's not right"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

okay to be fair I spent 3+ years in the food service industry and I didn't know what a table tent was either

guess I was in the kitchen though

I always hear about how kitchen folk are hosed up all the time but you must have taken it to another level

Groovelord Neato posted:

here's a great eliot quote (about world of warcraft):

As someone who grew up in the same culture, in relatively the same income bracket, during the same years as this fuckwit can someone please point me to the explicit examples where male virginity was unironically shamed en masse? Did he think American Pie was a documentary?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Gay Bean posted:

A couple of years ago I was flirting with a girl in a bar, but then she got super drunk so I backed off. Her friends tried to get her to leave and she wouldn't, so they split on her; at this point she was barely coherent, in a crowded dive bar where she knew nobody. She was going up to random dudes and dancing really dirty, and guys were taking advantage of the situation and feeling her up covertly. I saw that happen no fewer than 3 times.

Anyway, she eventually worked her way back to me, and I asked her if she was alright. She slurred something I could barely understand, and I asked her if she needed help getting home. She said she lived nearby and I offered for my friend and I to walk her home.

On our way out the door some hero girl comes and asked me, "do you know this girl?!" in this really lovely accusatory tone. I said, "no, all her friends left her, and I'm walking her home." She said, "I can't let you do that, " and then I suggested that maybe she should help the drunk girl get home if she won't let me, to which she rolled her eyes and walked away, claiming victory at saving a girl from a rapist. Drunk girl then walks off in a huff after being humiliated.

After drunk girl came back to me a few more times and kept trying to rub her rear end against me while hero girl looked on sullenly I just split and went to another bar that wasn't an awkward disaster. I heard from a bartender friend of mine that they had to scrape her off of the floor at closing time.

This is not stdh as much as it might read like it. You were probably right to do what you did, but just know that it feels like absolute poo poo to be accused of being a rapist in the middle of doing a good deed. I didn't flip out because I do understand that bad poo poo happens, but because of the situation I'm much more hesitant to help out strangers now.

To be fair the smart move is to get some of the lady staff involved. "Hey this girl is pissed out of her gourd, I saw her friends leave and she needs help getting home. I don't know her. Can you help?"

You'd have to meet some straight psycho ladies who would not want to help you out. Hell you could ask a group of women at the bar if they don't seem like bitches.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 10, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Being a 22-year-old male virgin is definitely something that will get you shamed by people, dude. Obviously it's not as bad as Elliott Rodgers made it out to be, because he was an insane homicidal maniac with a broken brain, but being a male virgin into your twenties is definitely something that will get you mocked by your peers, because it's weird.

I don't know, I wasn't a virgin into my twenties so I can't really say how people reacted to me, but I've never known anyone who gave half a gently caress about another person's sex life and if I had a group of friends that did I'd be creeped out. Anyone I've met in their twenties who did talk about being a virgin--even in confidence--was weird not because they were a virgin but because they gave even the slightest gently caress about being a virgin.

Your logic is really recursive too-- "it's weird to be a virgin into your twenties because it's weird."

generative grammer posted:

22-year old people who are interested in the sex lives of their friends, American masculinity is super homo

I must have never noticed how gay American masculinity is due to the avalanche of dicks flopping out at every party in a loosely synchronized vibration with a hum that goes "look at how much pussy juice is on here."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He took "virginity is for the birds" a bit too literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

You might be able to do an ostrich without causing it any permanent harm. I don't know if they have those in Asia. Cassowaries, maybe? But they'd just tear you to pieces.

Where do Emus fit in on your "bird fuckability" scale?

• Locked thread