Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Some jackasses booing people isn't going to give Trump the election. If some poll comes out where the majority of Bernie supporters suddenly have changed to Trump because of that one email than maybe but I get the feeling idiots that are now booing Bernie weren't going to vote for Hillary in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

comes along bort posted:

If Hillary manages to gently caress this up it'll be because her campaign didn't put enough resources into finding and turning out marginally attached voters in close states, not because a few thousand jagoffs decided to have a protest vote.

Pretty much. I would guess the average voter doesn't really like people that fit the berniebro stereotype so them being pissy, especially when Bernie himself is trying to unite stuff, isn't going to result in some kind of anti-Hillary swell.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Monaghan posted:

If hillary loses I'm looking forward to the inevitable blaming of leftists for losing the election. The boogeyman works so well for both parties!

It's pretty much already started and all it took was like 20 dumbfucks booing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Hillary loses to Trump it's because the DNC put up a bad candidate. Trump is a joke and anyone should be happy to run against him. I still think Hillary (and will win!! knock on wood) will make a good President but if she is so tarnished after twenty years of character assassination the fact of the matter is that should be an important consideration in her elect-ability to a country that isn't made up entirely of Democrats. Saying the leftists threw this election because a small percentage of them that were never going to vote for her anyway threw a tantrum is just a way to overlook the fact that the democrats were outmaneuvered by a charismatic fascist that appealed to white supremacy while they couldn't get enough people energized to vote.

The dumbasses booing people today would not have voted or voted for Stein (or Johnson) if Bernie didn't exist. They shouldn't be considered potential Democratic voters; nothing Hillary was going to do would get them on board. Of course this is all based on the absurd meltdown people are preemptively having because of one thing that happened that no one is going to care about in a week.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 25, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Because the implication (by some) is that the current leftward shift of the Democratic platform and the audacity of running to the left of the DNC candidate in the primary is the reason that Hillary is going to lose. If Hillary loses it's because she couldn't get enough people to vote for her. People aren't voting for Donald Trump because the Democrats are too left wing, they are voting for him because he is an authoritarian bigot that tells them what they want to hear. The democrats aren't owed the vote of every leftist and they didn't need them to elect Obama twice in a row. If Hillary gets the same turnout that Obama did, and she should considering her platform is similar and Trump is about as anti-minority as you can get, she will win. If she doesn't it means she wasn't as energizing and loved as we were told.

Hillary supporters to me often feel like they have so little faith in their own candidate they are constantly looking for reasons to explain how she is going to lose in four months.

Cabbit posted:

If Hillary loses it's because people are too loving dumb to vote for the person who isn't a literal loving fascist strongman.

This is true but at some point it's Hillary's job to explain that fact and if no one can do that because the country is so far gone then we are hosed either way. Hillary should not be getting less votes for Obama since these super anti establishment leftists weren't voting for him then either.

If we get some polling that shows a massive decrease in Hillary's numbers in two week then yeah lets start blaming the leftists for abandoning her but man is it early to start freaking the hell out and over some dumb stunt. The DNC people are supposed to be the sensible ones, stop arzying.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 25, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yinlock posted:

haven't the right been telling us that everyone hates her and she's the worst and loves to kill children like daily

They have and that should be a consideration on her viability as a candidate as unfair as that is. I still think she's going to win but I wouldn't have been as sure if the GOP didn't nominate someone as divisive as Trump.

sean10mm posted:

The only reason the US won't pull a Brexit and elect Trump is because we're less white than the UK by a large margin (64% non-Hispanic white vs. like almost 90% in the UK).

I think this is true as well. Of course we'd have president Romney now if that was the case so maybe that would have stayed off the Trumpocalypse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kaal posted:

People are voting for Donald Trump because progressive politics are failing to articulate a compelling message. This is both because the message is insufficiently compelling (aka the battle between Clinton's pursuit of Obama-style progressivism vs. Sanders leftists who want their nebulous revolution) and because the message is being garbled by competing ideas (aka every liberal group/discussion/protest ever). If American liberals can't get together to craft a message that can challenge Trump's outright fascism, then frankly the ideology is just fatally flawed.

The issue is that the message that is resonating with Trump voters is nationalism and bigotry. The Democrats have to compete with a platform that is inconsistent and makes no real sense because Trump supporters assign whatever ideology they have to him and don't care what he does or says as long as it's loud and assholish. There's no way to out message that if it turns out that Trump is going to win based on a message of nothing. Throwing out the leftists and thinking you can get people that either voted for Trump or sat out because of some political infighting is ridiculous. In four years if Trump wins the establishment Democrats will be fighting about something different because they aren't all clones of each other, it's how a tent party works and in a system where there are only two parties, both are tent parties. You aren't going to win elections by consolidating around pure DNC supporters while the Republicans burn everything to the ground.

"Hmm I want to vote for the Democrats but some guys at their convention were really obnoxious. Guess I'll just sit home and let the guy advocating loving over NATO and rounding up latinos and Muslims win" said by no moderate ever. No voters give a poo poo about this infighting except political wonks.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yes please tell me what tenets of American leftism you would like the Democratic Party to abandon

I'm almost there

don't stop

Maybe we need the Dixiecrats back if Trump is so unstoppable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

This is some pretty amazing denialism.

Trump is a result of the failure of both establishment parties whose center and center-right administrations have for the past few decades done little to help the working and middle-class and in many cases actively hosed them over.

Berniebros won't significantly affect the election anyway, just how like the PUMAs and Hillaris44 crowd didn't do poo poo in 2008. But Trump is not the fault of leftists and progressives, they've been out of power and without a significant voice. It is the mainstream GOP and Dems producing the resentment that birthed Trump.

Actually I will stick with the Pew Research article and referenced scientific studies rather than your anecdotes and hypotheticals.

Again, do you have a source that suggests peoples' voting habits or political ideologies change significantly with age?

It's also a calculated effort by massive news agencies financed by billionaires to direct all anger at pretty much everything except the people actually causing the problems. Blaming leftists (which we apparently don't need to care about at all but are also always the reason elections are lost) that have effectively no power in the country in the face of that is silly. It's a lot easier to blame these nebulous leftists than actually look at why the Republicans are able to out message the Democrats with white people so easily (it's racism).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This owns.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just tuned in on CSPAN and the crowd seems pretty stoked for this lady.

Boos for Trump.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i wanted him to say that

In spanish.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

karthun posted:

I'm not hearing any more boo's or heckling when people mention Hillary's name anymore.

It feels like there's one guy that tries but can't really make him out on the CSPAN feed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ahahah

Dirt posted:

According to /r/SandersForPresident they are doctoring the audio. I wish I was joking.

Double Ahahah

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also it's great how all these people are talking how cool Hillary is and at the RNC they barely wanted to mention Trump's name.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha there were some boos.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

These speakers are much more professional than the Republican's. I'm liking it.

Seriously benrie booers or not this is clowning on the RNC.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have a feeling the GOP is going to go all in with the alt-right if Trump loses, especially if it's close. They are the closest thing to an emerging movement they have being mostly younger dudes. There's no way they can just turn off the racism and sexism that Trump has stirred up and even if they did I don't think most people's memories are that short.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The benefit for that is the alt-right is a huge turnoff for everyone that isn't a white male. They can't speak in dog-whistles only blatant bigotry so corporations and other business often aren't going to want to be associated with them.

If Trump loses the GOP is going to have another 2012 moment where they say "we need to get some of these non white males involved" and then hook up with the dudes calling a black actress a gorilla because she had the audacity to be in a movie.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 26, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

There is not one person in the country who's line of thought is "I was gonna vote for Trump but I saw snearing plutocrat Michael Bloomberg endorse Hillary Clinton at the convention and now I'm with HER!." Are you loving kidding me DNC?

There are definitely HENRY types that are talking about staying home because Warren and Sanders are too "in" with the party (that's probably hot air since they are idiots if they think a Trump presidency where he destabilizes everything is preferable economically than even Bernie) so Bloomberg is probably a bone to them. Personally I'd like to drop those types but I don't know if it's prudent.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He was a republican when we was mayor of New York that is how minimally interested moderates remember him. The Bloomberg support has nothing to do with true believers or politics junkies but creating a good narrative for the swingiest of swing voters.

Pretty much. If he gives a speech to help with the HENRYs and doesn't have any real influence then whatever. I don't like him at all but Warren and Bernie seem like they are getting actual policy considerations.

He isn't getting any Trumpers since they are only concerned with hating Others but he has influence in Democrats that read the WSJ that may be thinking about sitting this out. I expect he's going to stress that Trump is going to gently caress up the US and world economies pretty hard with his disastrous policies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Say what you will about some of Sander's louder and dumber supporters but the man himself has been working pretty hard to try and get people voting for Hillary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

It's likely there's no illusion anywhere on the Bloomberg or Hillary level that he will be "owed" anything other than fighting the NRA while in office, which was already a long-standing plank. It isn't like she's going to be like "oh, thanks for your support Mike, I guess I should repeal cap gains taxes."

Bloomberg is probably royally pissed with Trump for being a stereotypical rich fucker (or as many put it "poor man's idea of a rich man") and by proxy harming Blomberg's interests by providing a mental image for the public to have on hand when people talk about people like Bloomberg.

Like if I was a rich rear end in a top hat type I would be unhappy with Warren and Sanders trying to shake up banking but livid at Trump basically talking about destabilizing Europe and clearly no idea how the economy works. It's like when the Tea Party was playing with our credit rating and you know some backers were making angry phone calls.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm hoping there's a poll in two weeks that shows the majority of Bernie primary voters are sticking with the party and these assholes insulting Warren are forgotten.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There already was one

Yeah but I thought it was before the email leaks that everyone is freaking out about.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SavageBastard posted:

Except that he can just ignore it and since nobody else cares about Bloomberg they will all ignore it too.

Rich Democrats care about him I guess. It would be nice if he caused some Republicans that aren't outright fascists to at least stay home but I wouldn't be confident of that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

All this appreciation for young Hillary forgets about the part where she tells you about her love of Henry Kissinger.

It's interesting that the Democrats wanted what Bloomberg had to offer (a rich guy with a business putting his name on everything, talking about what Trump's reputation among other businesspeople) that they were willing to pay the price of letting him bitch on stage about how Democrats won't get behind his school privatization.

If that's all he loving gets and every other speaker is the opposite that's fine. Economic conservatives are timid and need to be coddled constantly.

Trump and his campaign are a joke and it's embarrassing as a country he is doing as well as he is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Megyn Kelly is a terrible person that SOMETIMES has decent opinions when she herself has a vested interest. I hope she stays on Fox forever and her garbage is contained instead of letting her out to become a Serious Person that dogwhistles racism and shits on the poor.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

As Jeff Gerstmann has taught me, the rabbit-hole on vaping goes real deep.

The story about the guy that almost got fired from a vape-shop since he accidentally insulted a sponsored champion vape ring blower who complained to his boss was all I needed to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm scared of both for different reasons.

• Locked thread