Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Welcome to Season 3 of the SA Beer Trade Fantasy Football League!

Formed out of a mutual love for min/maxing Fantasy Football lineups and collecting and drinking delicious (and rare) craft beer, this league combines two of the greatest hobbies in the world. Owners put up a $50 box of local craft beer as their entry fee, and at the conclusion of the season, boxes are shipped to a few lucky owners (overall winners, toilet bowl winners, top PF regular season) who get to drink their prizes and post cool pictures of their hauls.

After a successful first season, the league expanded to 16 teams for season two, and will return with a few possible rule tweaks for this season. More discussion to come on that front.

League Hall of Champions:
Season 1: umop apisdn
Season 2: Jota
Season 3: ????

This year's competitors:

Cervixalot
Avenged
Baldrash
HatfullofHollow
Catfish Noodlin
Retemnav
Railrod Terror
dphi
Spacejung
Jota
Zam
Broom
umop apisdn
Mikey Purp
Drunk Nerds

After getting my rear end kicked in Season 1, and having my dominant regular season team crushed in the semifinals of Season 2 by Avenged due to:

Jota posted:

Cervixalot got eliminated because an offensive lineman on the opposite side of a play forgot to report as eligible and it negated a Hightower touchdown.

Fantasy football is a hell of a game

I'm ready to get back at it. Good luck this season, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

We had a couple of folks in my home league who were staunchly anti auction when we originally made the switch, and now the whole league swears by it. One of them won the league two years in a row despite being dragged kicking and screaming while raising some of the same concerns folks are expressing here.

Auction truly lets you build a team how you would like it - and you can have a crack at any player you'd like, which to me is one of the most fun parts of fantasy. Are you a Steelers fan, or do you just love watching Antonio Brown ball out? Unless you draw the straw that says 1.01, you're out of luck to own him in a Snake league. If you're willing to put in a bit of research before the draft (do an auction mock, make a cheat sheet or grab a beer sheet), it really ends up being a more fair way to draft for everyone IMO.

I'd be happy to share some general tips and guidelines to make everyone more comfortable with the format, but at the same time, I don't want to chase anyone away if it doesn't sound fun. I'll send out a poll soon to see what everyone thinks, but i promise you, a beer fueled auction draft is a blast.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

League poll time! Check your email inboxes for a link to a quick survey to help answer the auction/snake and IDP questions.

I've also asked for your SA name and your RL name/location to help me coordinate the shipping process at the end of the season.

Once we get some of these things settled, we'll start looking at dates to schedule the draft.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

coronaball posted:

I'll be an alternate if you need one for any reason. I'm not like a regular in the beer thread but I've posted a few times and I like to think I know what's good. :)

You're on the waitlist! I'll keep you posted if anyone drops out.

I sent out a final poll reminder - we have 12/16 responses. You have until Friday at 5:00 CT to fill in your response, then I'll close the poll and share the results. If you want to weigh in re: auction vs. snake and whether we should incorporate IDP, please do so as soon as you can.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

You're on the waitlist! I'll keep you posted if anyone drops out.

I sent out a final poll reminder - we have 12/16 responses. You have until Friday at 5:00 CT to fill in your response, then I'll close the poll and share the results. If you want to weigh in re: auction vs. snake and whether we should incorporate IDP, please do so as soon as you can.

Closing the poll in 2.5 hours... Don't forget to cast your vote for league and draft format!

Next up, scheduling the draft. Any other rules or we need to look at prior to getting the draft scheduled?

FAAB is a given, as far as I'm concerned.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The polls are closed, and the votes are in!

Minus Drunk Nerds double vote, 13 teams voted, and here are the results:

Auction Draft: 8 Votes
Snake Draft: 5 Votes

Looks like we will be moving forward with an auction draft. More information to come on tips, strategies and some helpful resources for you all. Protip: if I'm not mistaken, Beer4theBeerGods includes auction values in his sheets.

IDP:

Yes: 2 Votes
No: 11 Votes

As such, we will be sticking with offensive players only.

I'll put together a Doodle poll or survey to get together a date. Any objections with setting a date in the next few weeks, or do folks prefer to wait until the preason games are mostly done?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Emailed out a poll for draft time and time - check your inbox and fill out ASAP!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Poll results time. So with 13/16 league members having responded, here's where we landed.

If we're going by general availability, at least 50% of the league (8/16) are available on the following days:

Thursday (11/16)
Monday (10/16)
Wednesday (10/16)
Sunday Evening (9/16)
Sunday Afternoon (8/16)
Tuesday (8/16)

If we're going by preference of when people prefer the draft to be held:

Sunday Evening: 4 votes
Monday: 3 votes
Tuesday: 3 Votes
Thurs/Fri/Sat: 1 Vote

Taking those results into account, it looks like the top 3 options are Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday.

Before we narrow in on any one of those 3 windows, is there anyone who absolutely cannot make one of those dates and times?

Just a reminder, we're looking at a window of 7:00 PM ET - 12:00 AM ET for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. We should expect the auction to take 3-4 hours.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Also, a little promo to throw out there. Papes is starting up a new Goon Dynasty league with some neat rules (Superflex, Points per Carry, TE premium), and there are some spots still open if anyone is interested.

Come post in the thread if you would like to join, or if you're just curious about how the format, or dynasty leagues in general work.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785728

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Wait, so what specific dates are we talking about? I have a different Goon draft on Monday, the 22nd.

No specific dates yet, just those windows of time. I suppose It'd be helpful if I sent out a poll w/some specific dates and times - I'll do that today.

Edit:
Done! Check your inboxes and weigh in. Thanks all!

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday are the only days that I definitely cannot make, so let me know if those are really the only possibilities and I'll give up my spot.

OK, let's do this. Once people have had a chance to weigh on which week works best (my hunch is it will be next week or the following), I'll throw out a poll for every single day that week and we'll see what we come up with.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

The maybe a more refined doodle would make sense. Instead of just full days, create a couple of 3 or 4 hour time slots for each day in a range of dates and let people fill out their availability that way. I.e. Monday August 15th from 5-9 and from 8-12 and so on and so forth.

Doodle is probably the best bet, good call. I was hoping the poll results would speak to me a bit more, but no dice. Coming soon.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'll set up a Doodle poll to send out tonight so we can get this locked down. Sorry for the delay!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Doodle poll sent - please fill out ASAP. Please double check the time zone (I think I set it to auto-adjust) to ensure that you are filling it out correctly.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Retemnav posted:

I'm assuming the "1:00 AM - 5:00 PM" options were supposed to be 1 PM to 5 PM and we're not planning on an overnight, 28 hour draft? I've heard about auction drafts taking longer, but that seems a little extreme.

I'm gonna say yes.

Thanks to those who have filled out the poll so far!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So with 12/16 responses, it looks right now like the Wednesday September 7th is looking the best so far, with 9/12 able to make it.

Spacejung, Avenged and dphi - any flexibility with that date?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for being flexible, guys. Sounds like we have 12 confirmed for Wednesday the 7th, with just dphi and a few others to check in.

Any objections if we move forward with scheduling the draft for that date, at least tentatively? I'll update in the ESPN league calendar, but please let me know ASAP if you absolutely cannot make that date.

All good with 7 PM EST start time, or would 8 work better? Assume the draft will take 3-4 hours.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

7 PM is a lot harder for me, because that's 4 PM my time and it's harder to get off work that early. I can still do that, but I sure would prefer 8 PM EST

I scheduled it currently for 8 PM EST as I realized that was on the earlier side for PST folks. I'm assuming its easier for most to start later rather than earlier?

Most of the league is on EST, so I'm hesitant to push it too much later, but we could look at 9:00 EST. Thoughts?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

If we still have a few conflicts or tough to manage days, let me look at some backup options - I think there were a few other pretty good days. I appreciate everyone's willingness to be flexible.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So still tentatively sticking with Wednesday the 7th at 7 or 8 PM EST. Seems like our best bet with the most folks available, and hopefully we can figure out which time works best for everyone, chime in if you have an opinion/preference.

One backup option:

Wednesday the 31st we also had 9 people check 'yes', so if Mikey Purp,
Spacejung, Avenged and Retemnav can swing that date, we could shift. Let me know what you guys think.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm confused. By my count at least 14/16 people can do Wednesday the 7th. That's pretty amazing, getting that many people together. So under what circumstances would we need a backup date where only 9 people have said yes?

Since it sounds like Mikey Purp can swing the 7th, we're going with it. Locked and loaded. Nevermind what I just said.

Now, what fun ways can we devise to determine nomination order?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The best advice I can give for Auction Drafts is to be flexible. It's good to be prepared in terms of knowing how much you want to pay for specific players by putting together a cheat sheet, but once the draft starts and market value starts setting in, you may have to adjust your strategy depending on how things play out.

I believe FantasyPros has some standard cheat sheets that you can work from, and BeerSheets are always great as well.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Best football/beer pun goes first. Sorry guys but De Cam Newton is winning.

~leans back, tips fedora~

Jai Alaiyi, checking in

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Awesome names. Loving it.

Just to remind everyone, draft is scheduled for Weds Sept 7th. I will send out a reminder next week - mark your calendars!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

One week from right now, I'll be bidding $99 dollars for Antonio "Sumatra Mountain" Brown

Just a few days left...

Looking forward to the draft guys, anyone else have any questions about the league format, the beer shipping, or the auction draft format?

Happy to answer any questions/help as best I can!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Do we need to Toxx for this?

Good idea, let's do that.

:toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Also, we are on for 7:00 PM ET tomorrow! Looking forward to it. Nomination order is currently set to be randomized, unless someone has an idea otherwise.

Post any questions you have about league format, auctions or otherwise in this thread, I'm happy to help anyone prepare in advance (just don't take my players).

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

:toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Looking forward to the draft, watched a few rounds of a co-worker's auction last week to get an idea of how it works. Are we doing a hangouts group or anything?

Probably just the ESPN auction room chatroom, which worked pretty well last year, but if folks would prefer to use GroupMe or Google hangouts, I'm open.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Google hangouts would be good just for the voice chat.

I'm so stoked for the draft. I'm swinging by Tired Hands tonight to pick up more cans of Trendler Pilsner because that seems like a good football beer.

Oh, one question, what happens if you run out of money during the draft?

The system won't let you run out of money until your roster spots are full, with $1 minimum being automatically held per spot. So if you spend $190 on a few players, you'll have $10/number of roster spots left to go.

At a certain point in the draft, enough roster spots are filled and enough $ has been spent across the board that it just becomes 'nominate and win the player you want for $1' to fill out your last spots. It speeds up pretty quickly.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I've never been in a league this large, let alone an auction. Still trying to wrap my head around how to budget for it and coming to terms with the fact that I will probably have to be content starting someone like Braxton Miller :cry:

It's going to be total chaos. I advise everyone to drink several beers during the draft to help your jangled nerves.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm boring today, so several Revolution Mosaic Heroes are my poison.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

That was a blast. Thanks everyone for showing up on time, drinking some good beer and rocking the draft!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Retemnav posted:

So...I can't add anyone to my roster BEFORE the games tonight? Waiver's clear 9/9 at 3 AM?

Looks like it's set up for daily FAAB waivers. Let me see if I can find a way to open things up for FCFS from Thurs - Sun. I thought I had this set up correctly...

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So I think it is set up correctly, but I'm guessing players can't be added within 24 hours of the time of the draft.

Here's the setup from commish view:

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

I hate how biased the waiver system is towards the east coast. I wake up pretty early but still miss out on free agent pick ups after waivers clear. There's no way to change this right?

I don't believe you can adjust the time that ESPN processes waivers, unfortunately.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm looking to acquire a TE - hit me up. I'm Jai Alaiyi

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

Who's Romo's Broken Neck Pilsner and why did they quit a few weeks back?

I'll send them an email to see what's up, that's not cool.

I had one of those stars aligning weeks where my entire team just went bonkers - sorry AlexSmith Checkdown Stout...

Which means next week my entire team is going to die most likely.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So I emailed Romo's Broken Neck Pilsner (forums user 5436) via ESPN, and I haven't heard a peep. I'm getting worried that they may have checked out, gonna try to hit them up once directly to their email account and let you know what I hear.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

What do we do about it if he has dipped out? Auto-set his lineup every week? Also does this mean he is going to ditch out on sending a box too?

Also while we're on the subject, how does the beer trade thing go? Is it only the winner and the runner-up who get boxes, or is it all play-off teams get 1 and the super bowl people get more, or what?

I would suggest we either let it play out in order to make it equitable from this point forward (so the teams who already got a win against a bogus lineup don't get an advantage), or do a commish auto-setup to match top points projected going forward. Open to discussion on this.

If he goes dark completely, we'll have to remove a box from the total (probably at the expense of the league winner, unfortunately), but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Just realized I didn't send a PM to him, I'll try that avenue as well.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Also, Trade Deadline is next Wednesday! Send out your trade offers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So I dropped Jennings when NYG had basically the worst run game in the league, and it looked like he was mired in a lovely committee with Perkins.

Of course a week later he's a workhorse back.

• Locked thread