Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like the ZZ guys and wanna see them used...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also it's very much a Raideen remake you plebs! :arghfist::smug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

I stopped watching shortly after Gai's death...

...because I was watching it on DVD and only had like, one or two of the things, so I physically couldn't continue watching after his death. That was like ten years ago too. Almost everything else I know about Nadesico I've picked up from Super Robot Wars, which indeed has probably colored my perceptions on things.

Darkest SRW recipe: Fafner Exodus, Mazinger Zero, Getter Robo Armageddon, Evangelion 3.33, and Muv Luv Alternative. Maybe add some Godannar too, and make the Memetic Beasts BETA creations. Possibly include Turn A Gundam, Zegapain, the Big O and Linebarrels of Iron for extra post-post apocalypse flavour.

No Bokurano?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Alacron posted:

Question: Is Rom Stoll going to keep up this gimmick of appearing in the middle of a stage and decidedly not joining the team for the whole game?

Well not the WHOLE game, but he does have one key event he needs to interrupt.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Looking forward to Amuro calling Misato a dumb bunhead and her falling in love at first sight.

You joke, but they often have Amuro and Misato flirt due to the VA jokes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

General Revil posted:

That's pretty much ZZ Bright in a nutshell.

Yeah at that point he's realized that it's best to just let the newtypes do newtype things and not get in their way. Especially since he was 0-2 on Newtype Pilots getting out without traumatic brain damage/PTSD.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

As awesome as Bright Noa is, he's kind of dealt a poo poo hand, getting out basically unscathed while one after another, he watches his friends and comrades get killed and traumatized around him. It takes a lot to overcome that much survivor's guilt, and it makes him feel like a profoundly tragic character, despite generally being pretty badass. It's a testament to his personal fortitude that he didn't completely snap at the end of Hathaway's Flash and try to drop the rest of Axis himself. Figure since V's coming out soon, it'd be polite to spoiler tag that bit, even though it's not relevant to MX.

Same for Kai, he's basically, by the time of Unicorn, the final surviving and active pilot of the White Base. Hayato died during the first Neo Zeon war and Amuro just vanished at the end of the second.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

We joke but Job John does show up in I think F90 as someone working on the project.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Agreed and agreed. Turns out the torment Masaki gave Ritsu was registering his mech like that - the other Tekkoryu keep laughing at him behind his back, Saiga calls him Rose C'Est La Dork...

And I tried thinking of a mech with a worse name and came up empty.

That's your challenge for the day, thread.

An existing Mech?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ashram posted:

....Are you saying Hugo is gonna do a 5 minute monologue sometime in the future?

We're not, not saying that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I like how they lined up Eva-1, Rahxephon and Raideen, it's like a sliding scale of influence.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

Wait, I thought God Voice hurts like hell when you use it. At least that's what I got from Alpha 3.

Oh it absolutely does

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

It kinda sounds like everything Akira shouts hurts like hell, I don't know how Akira Kamiya manages that level of gravelly-ness without tearing his throat up, it's amazing.

I had that feeling getting to like the final arc of Lord of Lords Ryu Knight. I was convinced Hiro Yuki was destroying his throat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is basically Masaki's logic
"I'm the best, thus I'm going to make a bunch of clones of me."
"But what if said clones think they're as good as me, no ones as good as me, I'm Masaki loving Kihara."
"I know, I'll ruin all their robots and genetically develop them with personality flaws that will make them self destruct and gently caress up on ever level."

Masaki Kihara is just the loving worst human being. Like the man has no redeeming qualities at all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I love Selee's endless crying that the end of the world isn't going as planned.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Great Zeorymr would mean more if you couldn't absolutely crush the game with a combination of the Granteed, Mazinkaiser and Nadesico. Due to J's AI (Prioritize what you can hit, not what you can do damage to.) Waves of enemies will throw themselves against absolute beasts of machines, who, with a combination of cheap, decently ranged attacks, will utterly destroy everything that gets close. If the game weren't up its own rear end about reinforcements (The first map alone has I believe 3 waves and one LP of J did a reinforcement counter to prove how absurd it was) and actually bothered to let its series interact.

For those who haven't played. J has all of its series taking place in the same world, but doesn't attempt to resolve conflicts, such as how the Plants and their Mobile Suits are still so valued and supposedly difficulty to control when Full Metal Panic's AS's are running about, Super Robots piloted by Teenagers are all the rage, and there are mobile fighters, not to mention George's butler, who pilots his own MS with a steering wheel. Or mentioning "Neo" colonies when referring to G Gundam without, again, reconciling how they're different from the Plants. By far the biggest sin is that it rarely adjusts the plot to match with the changed nature of more series being present. SEED is played completely straight, even though the way it's positioned makes it stupid to play it straight. J would basically be redone by SRW W, which addresses most, if not all, of the complaints.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oblique Angle posted:

And here was me just thinking that things were making a bit too much sense. Bit jarring to transition from nice straightforward Dendoh stuff to... this.

So... if I got everything

Muians are all humans, but also still aliens.
Haruka was from Tokyo Jupiter, left and due to the whole time dilation aged 12 years before Ayato met her again.
The people in Tokyo Jupiter don't know they're Muians and are kept in control with Mind Control

Am I missing something?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I've spent a, frankly, worrisome amount of time trying to make sense of RahXephon's plot points for this and here's how I'm reading it:

The Mulians ARE humans - not really aliens, just a slightly different kind. Maya is a true-to-form, 100% legit Mulian, as per her words, and the others like her are stuck on "the other side". Thus, any other "Mulians" on this side are actually people who've had their minds and bodies sync'd to one of those via a Dolem. Ayato is unique in a sense that he's a Mulian due to his DNA - he's not synchronized via a Dolem (the RahXephon isn't one).

Haruka was from Tokyo before the Jupiter barrier was erected. She was stuck outside when it happened and suffered the time dilation, yes.

Two kinds of people exist in Tokyo Jupiter: those in with the MU (Mamoru, the gestapo, Kuki, Miwa, etc) and those who aren't - yet. Those not in with the MU have some mind control to keep them from seeing what's what (until they start turning? Don't know).

So wait, being synched with a Dolem does what?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So Dolem's synchronize to Muians, and then if the Dolem's are destroyed.

Ah... I see.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I always love how this moment is handled when SRW gets to handle it. Because it's always a neat way of seeing how Shinji has changed across the game. Alpha's one is tremendous too, with Shin Getter 1 emerging to purge the gently caress out of Eva-1. And then Shinji deciding to leave NERV his dad trying to pull the "Running away again?" card and Shinji going "No. I'm going back to the Londo Bel, because I don't care if I don't have the Eva. They will accept me, and I'll do anything to be with them, go gently caress yourself dad."

Shinji telling Gendo to go gently caress himself never gets old.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I still prefer Alpha's version of this for 1. Haran Banjou and 2. Shinji just deciding to continue fighting with the Londo Bel because, frankly, he likes the Londo Bel and would like to keep fighting, just not along side Gendo.

That said ROM MOTHERFUCKING STOLL

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ashram posted:

Man...and people look at me weirdly when I say I don't like NGE or it's sibling series....but I guess everything can be made infinitly better with ROM STOLL.

It's perfectly fine not to like them. I like them, but I tremendously enjoy seeing their usual grim hopelessness being contrasted by Rom 'motherfucking' Stoll. Moments like this are what I live for in SRW. It's why J was such a disappointment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, again, this is a moment I loved in Alpha. Because Amuro uses his Newtype powers to reach in and establish a connection with Shinji so the cast can talk with him, helping him guide his way back to reality.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Alpha 3 is the closest you'll get to this. Of course, you'll have to deal with all of Alpha 3's issues (like jumping head first into the final chapter of a 4 game story arc, for instance) during your playthrough, but that's expected.

And Shinji's already gone through his development from Alpha 1. It's still nice to hear him call out Gendo on running away.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean... in the end it's STILL SRW so it's perfectly set up so that even if you die, you'll keep all EXP and money.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's over! gently caress that movie.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

What's weird is Rubina is usually savable, for a game with so many out there units, her death just being unpreventable is strange.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Inevitably every Eva story that wants to go through to the end, no matter how much progress the trio has been making figures "We have to kill Rei 2, and utterly screw up Shinji and Asuka."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

That all said, getting to this point of MX has just made me realize...

Hugo and Aqua are pretty irrelevant to this game. I'm sure it's all going to tie together, but beyond a few lines contributed here and there, I honestly get the feeling they could be cut from the game and most chapters wouldn't change.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ardeem posted:

No Akito, go away until you can admit to yourself that you're here to save your adopted daughter too. Or at least show up with enough time left so you can have some character development.

I assume this is the real reason he doesn't join until the end. Because hanging around our crew makes it impossible to not have character development, while being from Prince of Darkness he can't help but be an rear end in a top hat flatter then cardboard.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm guessing only one of these is Gendo.

I say guessing because I genuinely have no idea what's going on and I don't think I could make sense out of it either if I tried.

Brunom1 posted:

Yup, the latter line is Fuyutsuki.

And, in essence, it's become a race of mutually-exclusive plans built around finding a solution to the dying universe. The MU want to Tune it (whatever that means) while SEELE just wants to join all human life across all universes into one super being to ride out the end of the world, Gendou and Fuyutsuki have their own secret plan and Bähbem ???.

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah, I stopped trying to follow the Raxephon or Eva plot a long time ago.

But we're about to get to the moment I've been waiting for since I first saw this LP, so I'm excited anyway.

The summation to all of this is. SEELE really wants the apocalypse to go as scheduled and everyone else is having their own apocalypse at the same time and getting in their way! so they're basically throwing a fit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

I WAS GODDAMN KIDDING!

The only downside is he didn't tell them they didn't deserve to know his name.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And we can mark another SRW off as having a guide for future players to use. Thank you for all the hard work Brunom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Alacron posted:

You know, in retrospect it really bugs me how Zeorymer basically falls off the plot the minute the anime's story wraps up. I know why, it'd be hard to incorporate the mech that's basically a giant "I win" button into a plot that's supposed to have actual tension, but it feels like Amuro gets more screen time after Zeorymer wraps up and he doesn't actually have any plot in this game. You'd think that they'd at least make a show of it throwing down against the MP Evas but, no dice I guess.

It's kind of inevitable, because the Zeorymer is kind of absurd in how many problems it can solve.

• Locked thread