Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

It's like when a cartoon switches to an uncomfortably realistic artstyle as a one off gag, only played completely straight. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can't sleep. Sonic will eat me. Can't sleep. Sonic will eat me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Awesomesaurus posted:

"Remember me, Eggman?! When I destroyed your Death Egg, I talked JUST, LIKE, THIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!!"

Hey look, he finished it already!

https://twitter.com/marcoscrislop/status/889639027867086848

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there any impressions of the Switch port anywhere?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Screaming Idiot posted:

*in a high-pitched voice* "HI THERE I AM SONIC MANIA FOR THE NINTENDO SWITCH I HOPE YOU LIKE ME I AM A RETRO GAME WITH CLASSIC LEVELS REIMAGINED FOR A NEW GENERATION OF PLAYERS AND I HAVE A GREAT SOUNDTRACK"

I hope you like my Nintendo Switch Sonic Mania impression.

:golfclap:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if I do not want to play Co Op, Sonic and Tails is basically the same as Sonic only with an AI player trying to catch up and effectively having an extra hit during boss battles. Is there anything else?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jarogue posted:

You can control him to fly like Sonic Advance with one controller and ride him like in Sonic 3

I was playing around with that, yeah. Neat little trick. I am 2 zones into Sonic only but maybe I will start a file with Sonic and Tails and do that for a first play through.

Also, weird quirk with the Switch version: Going using the home button and suspending is pretty sluggish. Takes several seconds for it to go back to the home menu after button press

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think that Jim Carrey is trying to play Robotnik like Elon Musk or any number of tech bros, but it feels subdued and on autopilot (I mean, Jim Carrey slumming it still feels better than most other comedic actors, but still).

What I want is for him to go full loving Fire Marshall Bill.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Late to the part but uh that was a really weird meltdown a few pages ago huh.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Love to play Red Light Green Light and call it combat.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just started on the second island, and while I am really liking the game, the Striders there are seriously pissing me off. The first phase is no problem, but the second phase where it starts leaving fireballs on the rails is giving me trouble, between the legs completely blocking the view as you go (who thought that this was a good idea?) and it occasionally shooting a fireball directly at you because gently caress you.

I haven't freed Knuckles yet so I do not know if he gates a technique to make that fight a bit easier. I could also try jumping instead of switching rails to avoid fireballs though it is awkward in that it kills your momentum if you do that. Alternatively, I could also pump myself up so I can kill them on the first phase and never have to deal with the second phase ever again. What else am I missing?

EDIT: Another idea is hopping off if I get hit and do cyloop donuts for rings. Would take longer but I could outlast them, provided that it doesn't kill my progress if I do that.

EDIT2: That last part did it. Pure attrition it is then.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 23, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Sonic Origins worth getting nowadays? I heard it was kinda no frills.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pants Donkey posted:

If you have a PC and don’t mind doing the legwork, every game on Origins has a fan-made port with a mind-boggling amount of options before even getting into mods. If you just want an easy way to spend a nostalgic weekend and aren’t the kind of Sonic nerd that knows poo poo like “roll locking”, then Origins is perfectly fine. It just falls way short of what a true compilation of the Retro games could have been, and sega didn’t give the team enough time to work on Sonic 3&K so it can be a bit buggy but more akin to Robotnik’s deadly speed traps than an unplayable mess like ‘06 or Boom.

I would like to play them on my Deck and I don’t really care to get those fan made ports working on it. I will think about it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Might be an excuse to dig out the Backbone, something that I barely use after I learned that it is not built for phones that are in cases and I need to pry it out every time I want to use it :argh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I will be the tourist: why is Sonic 3 the Chaotic Evil Sonic 4? Or is that :thejoke: in of itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

because Sonic cd exists

Hogama posted:

It's the fourth "new" console title release, after Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD. The logic here is that it's called Sonic 3 but is Sonic 4, thus not following "order" (chaotic) and being incorrectly numbered (evil).

Oh, I completely forgot about that game :doh: