Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Might as well get the Hamlet discussion out of the way first.

Bought this way back when it first hit early access, but I've never felt like I actually know what I'm doing.

I am firmly in the "heart attacks are a dick move" camp, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

I love this game, and it's one of my Kickstarter backings that has paid the most dividends in terms of fun, fury and frustration. 's a good game. Y'all should buy it if you haven't. Try to play along. See how swiftly the tides turn. :unsmigghh:

Anyway, sign me up as Cinos the Highwayman! Yes, that's only one choice for me, as he is one of the many Kickstarter heroes that you can get by doing the following.

I also challenge you to make use of my personal Kickstarter trinket "Scion's Resolve", as it is a hard mode kind of trinket. You can get it by doing this:

This is pretty cool, and makes me wonder if we have any other backers in the thread willing to share this sort of thing. Neat!

*EDIT*

Turns out you can find lists of backer characters and trinkets pretty easily. Eh.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 2, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I might be putting this game back down for a while. Last night I lost two Master of Arms, Reynauld (right after fixing him in the sanitarium) and Dismas (who would have jumped to level two afterwards) in back to back missions. And then the game crashed on the way back to town. I killed the Necromancer though, so go me?

:negative:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

Game autosaves in every action/room module, so you didn't lose any progress. Its how they prevent save-scumming. Don't worry bruh.

Oh I'm aware. Not even application death can save my Heroes from my poor leadership.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, the game has apparently accepted my 4 hero sacrifice (I was wrong earlier, I only lost one Master At Arms but I did also lose a Houndmaster, sorry Shag and Scoob), and in return has granted me three excellent runs, the last of which had the bonus of taking place in the ruins during and event that gives more XP for exploring the ruins and extra damage in the ruins, and my next run in the ruins will also have that benefit as that event happened again right after the mission.

Bad things are going to happen again. Soon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

double nine posted:

Huh. I just found a red-orbed curio that wanted the touch of a flame. That escalated quickly...

That's a really beneficial thing that you seem to be subtly leading people away from doing. Not cool man, everyone should be doing it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

Eh. Nothing about that's debilitating barring Klepto. Fragile is a bit unsettling but he has high base HP so its not so bad.

Also he's basically maxed out on bad Quirks now, right?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

New update: Episode 4: Innsmouth this is not

You asked for it, we're going to the Cove! Complete with pain incarnate and one hell of a graverobber!

Not sure what I should detail next: Team composition & Preparation, or detailing The Ruins?

I vote for Team Composition and Preparation but I would appreciate it if when you do go over each area in its own discussion if you could add a section detailing what specific abilities (blight/bleed healing, protection removal, along with which classes provide these) and items you should bring, as certain areas provide great rewards if you remember to bring certain things with you.

I actually have a list I use for each area (I have it up in notepad in the background while running the game), but I want to wait to post it until you've had a chance to get through stuff yourself.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Some people enjoy using a feather, others, they prefer the whole chicken.

I'm going to hear this in the narrators voice all day. Thanks for that. :allears:

In my current game I have a Vestal with that Quirk, it's very funny.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
An incessant tone. A soul, reaching out, awaiting response. Unfamiliar runes herald the seeker, and creeping anxiety sours your tongue. Your hand trembles. Will you accept the call?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ah, good. I can post an excerpt from the text file I have running in the background when I play the game.

I posted:

Anywhere:
Always
Crate/Pack/Sack, Sconce, Unlocked Strongbox
Holy Water
Eldritch Altar (Remove Neg Quirk)
Key
Heirloom Chest (3x Heirloom)

Ruins
Always
Altar of Light, Bookshelf, Holy Fountain, Sarcophagus, Suit of Armor
Holy Water
Decorative Urn (Gems/Trinket x2 + Gems x2)
Medicinal Herbs
Alchemy Table (Gold/Gems x2), Iron Maiden (Any Loot x2)
Shovel
Locked Display Cabinet (Gold/Heirlooms x2 + Gold/Gems x2), Locked Sarcophagus (Gold/Heirlooms x2 + Gold/Trinket x1)

The first section concerns curios which can appear in any of the dungeons. The ones under "Always" denote curios that are relatively safe to interact with, that don't have an effect when you use an item on them (or provide a better benefit without). The others are curios that I feel should only be interacted with if you have the appropriate item, along with a brief description of what you get if you do.

You can use this to help determine what items you should bring to each area. Based on the above you should make sure to bring Holy Water and Keys to each location, and also bring an amount of medicinal herbs and shovels to the Ruins. I prefer to bring two of each of Keys, Holy Water, and Medicinal Herbs to the Ruins, and at least three shovels (because gently caress blocked hallways).

I also have lists for the other three locations, but I will wait until Highwang has posted his description for each area to post my list.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
A little gambling is fine, but don't lose you head over it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

I wish I recruited you so I can throw you to the Shambler for that.

Throw me on a Highwayman, Man at Arms, or Occultist then, if you're still taking submissions.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Throw me on a Highwayman, Man at Arms, or Occultist then, if you're still taking submissions.

Reposting because I forgot to bold the first time around.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Halser posted:

And now that I've watched the video I can reveal something.

I have actually changed the lines in-game to be funnier, at least considering my own sense of humor.

I have lines for Miss("Why did I bring a Leper") and dodge("Outskilled") and stuff like that.
here's a few examples(there's a Ruins boss spoiler there!)
http://imgur.com/a/RRAsy

this was probably overwritten with recent patches so I'd have to redo everything again if someone wanted the mod, but it shouldn't take longer than 20 or so minutes.

First image doesn't show the text correctly, but it's supposed to be a very subtle "OH gently caress"

Can you tell me which files specifically need to be edited, and if I can use your standard text editor for it? Want to personalize mine.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tylana posted:

And on the subject of mods, the nexusmods have some reskins that fit the art style suprisingly well. Though I kept expecting to find one to make all the classes female (or male).

Huh, I thought that most of the artwork for new classes/edited classes was terrible. Eye of the beholder I guess.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

There's a few more, off the top of my head there's one for the Leper, the Man at Arms, the Highwayman, the Abomination, the Antiquarian and the Arbalest. They're all here, http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-grave-robber/, at the bottom of the post.

Oh my god these add so much to the game. Red Hook needs to release the rest of these soon.

We know what Dismas' needed redemption for now... So what did Reynauld do? :allears:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Leper and Abomination in particular are a stark contrast. Both are loners shunned for ailments, but the Leper left a hero to his people and mourned by all, the Abomination was literally branded for what he has caged within him and slaughtered his way out of wherever he was being branded.

The Man-at-Arms also is pretty awful, by the end of the battle he's the only one left alive and you can't tell who was on which side.

Leper also appears to have been a King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tylana posted:

Sadly not as far as I know. Which is kind of a shame. Stack-size improvements could be an interesting town upgrade option.

Trinkets
Magic Bag
+10% Stack Size (Extra Dimensional Space)

Bag of Holding
+25% Stack Size (Extra Dimensional Space)
+20% Party Stress (Things Lurk Behind The Curtain)

Now I'm trying to decide of +25% is too OP even with the 20% Stress Boost. Like, pair that with an Antiquarian and a Jester for Stress Healing and you'd bring back a metric gently caress-ton of loot with minimal risk of heart-attacks.

Maybe it guarantees the appearance of a collector?

• Locked thread