Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

MelvinBison posted:

I occasionally run into items that affect "Virtues" in some form; I thought they meant Quirks but I guess they're something altogether different.

Yes. Yes they are. Virtues are a thing that happens when you breach 100 stress for the first time.
When they don't get a horrible negative side effect.

And if there's still space: Hellion (because it's the best class), Vestal (because you need 6 of them), and Abomination because we are the real monsters. And lets make it blue.

Also, when playing i usually edit the abomination to take out their holy class restriction because Vestals are just too important. I really wish there was another vestal quality healer.

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh 100% hell yes. I'm hot garbage at playing the game but I love that narrator. Thanks for doing this, bud.

Also it's time for Leppy Granola to ride again.

... keep the tip.

Edit: As must always be the first Leper.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I assume he more meant that the PD can clear the inevitable bleeding from Occultists failures.

Now lets play the "how many weeks until you get that precious second vestal" game.

Edit: Re below - well maybe I had to stop watching half way through.

And god drat it. Books are the worst then. I did not know they contained lore

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 2, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I don't think you are allowed to complain about your luck when you get your second Vestal on week 3. I have gone ages, even unlocking a 4th recruit at the wagon, and not gotten one.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KirbyKhan posted:

Yuuuup, I personally value marking groups far more highly than other people do. So, that was the main thing that puts me in Team Occultist rather than Team Vestal. Seeing a green 22 just makes me feel alive!

My dream team is Arbelest, Occultist, Houndmaster, and Bounty Hunter. I straight up don't heal until there are only 2 enemies left. Houndmaster and BH are on stunlock duty while the Occult and Arbelest are either murdering the backline or chain healing.

Too many green 0s have taught me never to trust Occultists.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

Viable and preferred. It saves money. If you wanna see, dare to compare with the up and coming episodes 5-7 on what I do.

I have a very "my way or the highway" mindset though. Games never feel fun unless I can do it my way, and the game allows that. Its wonderful.

They added in passive stress healing, so you don't HAVE to send your disturbed soldiers in to the bar to heal

Though Kleptomaniacs etc can go to hell...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

Viable and preferred. It saves money. If you wanna see, dare to compare with the up and coming episodes 5-7 on what I do.

I have a very "my way or the highway" mindset though. Games never feel fun unless I can do it my way, and the game allows that. Its wonderful.

They added in passive stress healing, so you don't HAVE to send your disturbed soldiers in to the bar to heal

Though Kleptomaniacs etc can go to hell...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KirbyKhan posted:

The quirks he does have that dont have the little skull next to them can be replaced with other quirks.

To me, ol dude would have been fired after Kleptomaniac got 'locked' in. I aint paying 10,000g just so you can go to Betty Ford to get Renauld's stealing habit under control.

Unless you're going for a Renauld based achievement.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

What is the disease that gives you a huge damage buff? I like that one to the point of keeping it on dudes.

Rabies. They nerfed the damage buff because you weren't the only person who did that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

gbuchold posted:

You mention revving up a Leper with some Plague Doctors - it's silly what you can do with that idea, I highly recommend demonstrating it for the thread at some point. You can use it to annihilate mobs with HP triggers before their triggers can go off with just absurd spike damage. If nothing else throw a Leper and 3 PDs into a single fight then retreat them, it's worth the effort.

Don't do it in the Cove on a certain boss.

Unless you want to risk someone exploding.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

double nine posted:

So if you have a late-game party wipe, is it still possible to do the ruins or similarly low-level areas to train the rookies that replace them or do the various regions level up in difficulty as the game goes on? And if the latter how to compensate for that?

There are low level missions to train replacements. Though it isn't a case of being done with an area. As you get higher level adventurers, higher level missions unlock. If you are not careful, you can have trouble with the earlier bosses as there is a mechanic in place to prevent you clowning on the easier missions with max level heroes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Krumbsthumbs posted:

You know, I scoffed at the person who forgot to bring torches on an outing. Who could do such a thing? It is madness! That's one of the most important ite- I forgot torches on my last outing. I was able to make it through via careful use of my firewood and the Crusaders support skill that also gives a small torch boost, but uh, it is easier than you think to forget to buy torches.

On topic, those Bone Courtiers are decently countered by Plague Doctors. Two throws of the aoe blight move on the back lines will take them out, but you can also try to stun lock them if you don't want to eat any of the attacks. This has the added benefit of shredding the other back line units the enemy might have, like those thrice accursed Arbalests.

or you could just unespected Dark run it up and swim in loot!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Please give Dismas back his head.

Edit: Some day I will learn to watch the full episode before posting.

Some day...

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 20, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jenner posted:

Ok so it starts at a 66% chance the next hit will just kill you then I'm guessing it drops to like 50% or something and keeps dropping every consecutive success until failure? I mean, that's kinda neat. It gives you a chance to come back from a mistake.

Also holy poo poo yes Sel Nar took all Highwang's luck.

Note that it is ANY damage. So bleed/blight can pop your Death Door'd character when it's their turn.

It's a neat system though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Auto-click things are the worst.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tylana posted:

Antiquarians can make inventory juggling very stressful though. My first run with one in my post town-events game was at the same time as free supplies. In a "Collect 3 Quest Items" quest. Where one was hiding in corridor, so I had no torches, starved a bit, and had two or three (failed) virtue checks by the end.

EDIT : After taking literally everything on the provisioning screen as it was free

The "Get 3 items" quests are the worst for just this reason.

That's 3000+ gold you're asking me to pass up there pal.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I have found one of the big trasures.

In a torch sconce.

that was also the right time to retreat. A Vestal could maybe pull you through for high stress. But 2 bleeders on Death's Door is a bad place to be.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

yup. you cannot do so in COMBAT though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

New Update- Episode 10: Dogpile

Today's just another episode of trying to get bosses unlocked as we run through the weald. Got some interesting discussion going at least. Cove Infopost should be coming either tomorrow or wednesday, I've just been neck-deep in Witcher 3 lately.

On my logic for anti-dodge moves:

I always have a hard time putting my thoughts into words on the fly so it sounds a bit weird in video, however my thoughts on skills such as Illumination and anything with dodge debuffs are as such: While the skills are good to have in general and have a really useful effect, I find them too unreliable to use on the high-dodge enemies they're meant for. This is because even though it is meant to reduce dodge, its not a guarantee to hit still since it still is a skill check between the hero's accuracy and the enemy's dodge. There's also the second check of the debuff's proc effect vs enemy resistance to go through as well. This is that "Double Check" thing I mentioned in-video, and while this may be confirmation bias I do tend to notce when those skills get dodged when I actively try to use them for their purpose.

Also way to finish the dungeon with 2 dog biscuits! The worst.

Also also I am 90% sure that those chests can inflict blight as well as bleed.

This update: Wang is wrong about a lot of things.
Including inventory management

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZeroCount posted:

The heads of various characters are trinkets that get dropped by the Collector, a wandering boss who I cannot recall if he has shown up on the LP yet or not.

He has not because Wang is a lucker.

They also come from secret rooms if you unlock the treasure chest within with a key.

Healing charms are random drops or mission rewards.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I made it to the end of a years-long Call of Cthulhu tabletop game that capped off with Tatters of the King. It was super cool because we had the same core players for the better part of a decade, and we'd just occasionally do some Cthulhu. Everyone had really gotten into a groove with their characters, old or new (characters turn over pretty frequently in CoC from violence and madness) and could really get into the horror mystery mood.

After the meat of the module, which probably took us a couple months of sessions to get through, the party ended up in Carcossa surrounded by horrors that hounded and corralled us until we were faced at last with the King in Yellow itself standing on some sort of cosmic causeway. It wanted one thing. It wanted to know where our home was. All we had to do was steer the bastard in the wrong direction to send him off course and save the Earth. Well, we failed, as far as I know. One-by-one my companions fell under HIS spell and started to point out the astral path to Earth, forcing my character to execute lifelong friends, lovers and trusted comrades in turn. I lit the bastard on fire to buy time when I was the last one left, which of course did nothing. As the King lifted my grizzled, alcoholic private eye up by the neck, the gun I had pressed to my temple fell to the ground and I pointed towards home.

gently caress Hastur.

Great way to end a campaign though.

The Collector is a great guy. I love when he pounces on my half-dead party.

The perfect Cthulhuian ending.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

double nine posted:

This does point out an important subtlety in darkest dungeon: leveling up your heroes' resolve doesn't particularly help (and can downright hurt) unless you can also keep their equipment & skills topped up. Which is why I cringe a bit when Highwang focuses so much cash on quirks and not on skills/armor/weapons

Non-locked quirks especially are a lot more efficient overall to burn off. Like. a 3000 gold difference per trait. that's a lot of armour.
And never take auto-clicking people.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Genocyber posted:

Highwang seems to be weirdly over-cautious except for when it comes to stress, if his comment on rarely using the town stress heals is any indication.

Highwang is just weird and inconsistant.

With enough heroes, you don't super need to boost the stress heals.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

"So I don't have any food. Besides that 12 stack at tehe end of the first row."

So much gold died on this run.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Episode 22: Wang starves his dog and makes other bad decisions.

Lucien: She came filled with hope.
She was the latest to fall to darkness...and incompetence.

(or foolishness instead of incompetence)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 15, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Genocyber posted:

The cannon is such a poo poo boss fight. It's not even all that hard as long as you can reliably murder the pyro each turn. It just takes forever to grind the thing down since you can do nothing but raw damage to it. Easily my least favorite boss fight in the game.

It's a nice idea, but winds up just being tedious because of its resistances.

Looking forward to Chitlin's List of Things Wang needs to do.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They patched the cannon? I swear it was 200% debuff resistant before. So tyou could not mark or bleed or blight it. just had to ineffectually swing at it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Crtew was marked.

And DESTROYED.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang clearly has the Glutton negative trait

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Scribbleykins posted:

Highwang has conclusively proven himself not a glutton, on account of all the food he keeps throwing away. :colbert:

I dunno. I recall him having two stacks at the end of that last run. and throwing away a key or something. That he could have used soonafter.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 28: The Long Haul

Our first long mission, and we're bringing along our new friend Veloxyll. I had initially planned to count how many times I wish I had Iron Swan in this video, but that requires :effort:

Yayayay...wait no Iron Swan D: D: D: (7 that you mention, by my count)

Also, you had 2 diseased people and free disease cure.

Also, way to scout the first hall without using the antiquitarian to click all the things.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In the Darkest Dungeon, the first hurdle is seeing the enemy...

The real weirdness comes when the same composition has multiple titles depending on order.
Including, IIRC, the starting lineup.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

His vestal doesn't stun because he has reduced stun chance trinkets equipped, so it'll only work half the time. or worse.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang is wrong, as is his perogative: Lets Play Darkest Dungeon.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 32: Leppy's Bizarre Adventure

We have another special guest join us today as we learn new and scary thing about the Cove, along with confirm the fact that I can't read.

Critty Granola.

And Highwang continues to be bad at inventory management.

Amd he in fact had 2-3 inventory slots. Because he could have ditched the rest of his food and torches.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 18, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Do you remember my Lunch, Opulent and Imperial.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 22, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fasting and Pride precipitate a dizzying fall...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/167/793/693.jpg

Indignence surges as the inventory crumbles

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ThCawdor posted:

Wait, you had 4 food left - why didn't it give you the prompt?

After he forced food down a bunch of party members throats, of course, because Darkest Dungeon is a Fun game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

My screenshots didn't take. but I had a run where I had 2 and a ha;f stacks of food.

On a short dungeon.

So basically a Highwang Run.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hunt11 posted:

What difficulty level?

Entry level stuff. Where the game refuses to give me Lepers or Men At Arms. Or Antiquitarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Controller bonus update when you have to grind some stuff out.

it's good to see the Siren fight in all its 'glory'.

Highwang will find Chitlin, go to his house. Strangle him. and Eat him.

• Locked thread