Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 7 Notes, i.e. exploring things too small for their own post.

This episode is interesting since we explore a bunch of random oddities that I find too small to discuss in general. I was going to do just a post on the Necromancer, but we can fit some small tidbits in as well.

The Necromancer, Undead progenitor of the ruins.

The Necromancer, depending on how one plays, is usually the first boss players face off against and is a test to see if you can survive the rough and tumble fights that await you beyond this hurdle. If you couldn't guess, the Necromancer's main gimmick is summoning creatures; every attack the necromancer possesses also has the ability to summon a skeleton minion in front of him, and you don't address his creations ASAP then he will quickly run out of your reach and dole out punishment in bounds. As difficulties go up, the quality of minions the necromancer can summon increases as well, so hopefully your team is up to snuff for dealing with the undead before taking on this profane villain.

The Necromancer comes with three attacks:
-The Flesh is Willing is a gruesome attack where the necromancer stabs at the front two ranks with various bones and sinew accumulated from his vile arts. This attack does a fair bit of damage and comes with an 8% chance to crit. This attack is dangerous, but a well-prepared Vestal can negate all the damage it puts out.

-The Crawling Dead attacks the opposite side of the formation spectrum, dealing damage to your back rows with an 8% chance to crit. Much like the last attack, a properly trained vestal can respond to the damage in kind.

-Six Feet Under is probably his most dangerous attack, since it hits everyone for a decent amount of stress damage alongside the minion it summons. I consider this his most threatening attack since Stress is rather hard to remove if you don't anticipate it, and depending on how the walk to the Necromancer went, you might be starting the fight with enough stress to tip you over should he use this multiple times.

For fighting the Necromancer, as seen in the episode, Crusaders and Plague Doctors are wonderful for the fight. Crusader brings the damage for managing the summons, while the Plague Doctor controls the field with widespread stuns and blight. Your rank 2 fighter can be any ranged damage unit, I just like using the Grave Robber since the one we have right now is well built to dole out crits en masse. The big threat of this fight comes from the numbers he's capable of bringing to the fight, so once you're able to surmount that then the Necromancer's no big threat, especially since he lacks the normal action-economy benefits that other bosses have.

Secret Rooms

Secret rooms are a fun little thing added some time after the addition of The Collector. These rooms are the main reason why I bring keys to every dungeon nowadays. Now in order to find a secret room, you must scout it out; You cannot pull a cheap trick and just mash up to try and brute-force your way into a supposed secret room since they are an encounter generated from scouting and are not predetermined. I'm also not sure about this, but getting a map from a bookshelf or book pile won't reveal this since its supposed to be a hidden treasure that you wouldn't list in public documents.

Secret Rooms are always a plus, its just a matter of how much of a positive you want it to be. If you interact with it without any items, you will open it up to find a modest pile of three treasures for your time. However, if you use a skeleton key, your rewards are much more grand: You can recieve anywhere between 1-3 Puzzling Trapezohedrons worth 2500 each, along with a high chance of getting once of three rare accessories. These are heads of the "canon" adventurers for the Highwayman, Vestal and Man at Arms, and each provides a different buff at the cost of 20% more stress damage: Dismas' head gives you +25% damage along with the extra cost of -10% HP, Junia's head provides +33% Healing, and Barrista's head provides 13% PROT. These are wonderful accessories through the game in general, however once you get them they are removed from the spawn pool so do your best to not lose these. I'd also advise against selling them, but you can only get 150g for them anyways so unless you're super desperate I doubt you will. After watching some streams, I just learned that you can indeed get your heads back once they're lost. You can only get one head though unless the RNG stars align in a weird way..

Common Enemies

These enemies are found throughout all of the areas around your troubled estate. Sometimes they come in their own groups, other times they are woven into the local wildlife in order to mix up the team dynamic. Either way, you would do well to understand these enemies, lest you fall to them unceremoniously.

Brigands!

Brigand Cutthroat, Threat Level: High
-The Cutthroat is the weird hybrid class of Tank and DPS for the Brigands, and they are good at what they do. Bringing decent protection with their hardened leathers, possessing the deftness of a huckster, and bringing heavy damage with their twin blades, these guys can dish out damage super fast and take hits while doing so. These guys can hit the front two rows with Slice & Dice for decent damage at a high crit rate, they can Uppercut Slice you for small damage and a knockback at nearly all ranks, they can Shank anyone for high damage and bleed, and if you ever put them in rank 4 they have Harmless Poke to not only get them back in the fight but also gain +2 speed. These are dangerous, high priority targets, take them out of the fight first and foremost.

Brigand Fusilier, Threat Level: Medium
-The Fusilier is the nuker of the bandit crew, and they exist to wear you down over time from out of reach. You'll often see them in rank 3/4 with decent dodge, so hitting them can be a task at times. Their main attack, Blanket Fire, does a small amount of damage but to everyone on your team, and they can do this from rank 2-4, so trying to prevent this with pulling them is tough. As if that wasn't bad enough, they have Rushed Shot to put them back in a favorable distance away and can do this from rank 1-3. However, the Fusilier comes with rather low accuracy values and can often times miss your party with their shots. Also, while their carpet fire is middling on their own, the big threat comes when they are in pairs. If they're ever in pairs then you have to focus them down first and foremost.

Brigand Bloodletter, Threat Level: Low
-The Bloodletter is the "tank" of the bandits, though he's really just a sack of HP with no PROT and very little dodge. These guys take point on the team and just sit there to make sure you can't meat-grinder the more threatening guys on his side. While his whip attacks do little damage and bleed damage, their main goal is to also inflict stress on you in order to slowly work your heroes over the edge. Their favorite attack, Rain of Whips, hits everyone for middling damage and middling bleed damage. Their alternate whip attack, Punishment, hits a little harder but only hits one target. Their most dangerous attack however comes not from a whip, but from Point Blank Shot in rank 1 with a staggering crit rate as well. Honestly, the only reason I consider them a threat is because of Point Blank Shot. Find a way to move them and their whips are hardly a threat.

Cultists!

Cultist Brawler, Threat Level: Medium
-The Brawler is an enemy that can range from a mild inconvenience to "How the hell did you hit that hard?" They're a one-trick pony, but that trick does a lot of effects and can hurt a lot if the dice roll poorly. Their main attack, Rend for the Old Gods, does a myriad of things: Does a small amount of damage, causes middling bleed, debuffs you to take more stress damage, moves the Brawler forward, and also does more damage to marked targets. They can only do that attack from ranks 1-2 however, but if you shove them back they respond with Stumbling Scratch in order to get back in the fight. These guys exists to supplement their partners in combat, and while they don't really do much on their own they have a crit rate that can catch players off-guard easily.

Cultist Acolyte, Threat Level: High
-The Acolyte is the mage-role of the cultist, and is one hell of a threat in general. The Acolyte will often be in ranks 3-4, and they also come with high evasion so hitting them is a bit of a trial. However it really doesn't matter what position they're in since the Acolyte can attack in *any* position. Their primary attack, Stressful Incantation, does heavy stress damage and reduces your torch by 10 percent. This is the big threat, since alone the cultist hits for 20-30 stress damage in general and they have the chance of being in pairs, doubling that stress output. Along with that, they have Eldritch Push & Pull to completely mess with your formation and more than often ruin your healer's position and stop their healing. I have a polaroid of this enemy on a dartboard, I hate them that much. They die first.

Spiders!

Webber & Spitter, Threat Level: Medium
-The spiders are, mechanically, one of the more fun things I see in this game. These guys operate on a sniper/spotter team, are really fast, and were designed to introduce players to the mark system. Webbers are the spotter and have two attacks: Web marks and stuns a target with a high chance, and Bite is an attack they use soon after to damage and blight the marked target. Spitters however are the sniper: They can shoot any rank with Spit and deal high damage to the marked target and also have Bite as well. The big threat comes from their cooperation, so if you take out one side of their team then the other half folds easily.

Other Fiends!

Maggots, Threat Level: Medium
-Maggots are weird to me. They have low HP, average dodge, decent speed, and only one attack. That one attack however I feel like is a decent threat to merit the existence of these baby bugs. Grave Nibble does small damage, but it also causes stress damage, can stun the target, and can cause any disease. The disease is the big threat I see, because you can get super unlucky and get Black Plague or Tetanus and everything goes south. Luckily these guys have low HP and they only appear in their own groups, so once your teams cycle in they don't stick around long.

Madman, Threat Level: High
-The Madman is a sort of miniboss in a sense that they're a pain to deal with. These guys come with high speed and high evasion, making them super hard to hit in general. Their attacks however only do stress damage, but do a real good job at it. His single target attack, Accusation, causes stress damage and makes the target vulnerable to stress damage. His AoE attack, Doomsday, does stress damage to everyone. These guys often replace units at random, and you can wind up in situations where you would be fighting two Cultist Acolytes and the Madman, so it'd be best to focus these guys down first.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Genocyber posted:

You have a double negative here which means you're recommending the opposite thing!

Never write your lectures at a 2am sleep deprived state kids.

RickVoid posted:

A little gambling is fine, but don't lose you head over it.

I wish I recruited you so I can throw you to the Shambler for that.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Iny posted:

Oh yes. It's the best.

(Sadly, you cannot have Dismas holding his own head twice as two accessories, because you can only find each head trinket once.)

Actually there is a loophole that can allow you to have duplicate heads. This aint a glitch or anything but its somewhat exploitative of a very rare mechanic.

Red Hook is aware of this, however I think this is intended because they haven't made any efforts to patch it out. And yeah, Genocyber mentioned that duplicate accessories are verboten because of the 100% deathblow resistance exploit someone else mentioned in the thread. So yeah, you can have two heads if you're extremely lucky and unlucky, however it doesn't really give any game-breaking advantages.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Episode 8: Hylomania

Today we learn the ins and outs of the Antiquarian, and why you really shouldn't put her in a team of people obsessed with gold.

Also, its pretty determined that we're fighting the Hag at episode 14, so another new poll: Who's next on the hit list?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tylana posted:

Antiquarians can make inventory juggling very stressful though. My first run with one in my post town-events game was at the same time as free supplies. In a "Collect 3 Quest Items" quest. Where one was hiding in corridor, so I had no torches, starved a bit, and had two or three (failed) virtue checks by the end.

EDIT : After taking literally everything on the provisioning screen as it was free

Veloxyll posted:

The "Get 3 items" quests are the worst for just this reason.

That's 3000+ gold you're asking me to pass up there pal.

I don't take those with the intent of making money. They're more "I have an underleveled unit and my team needs him" quest since they go by so fast.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 23, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Gridlocked posted:

Week 32: I lost Dismas and Reynald on the same day.

Dismas to the Swine King....

Reynald to Wilbur :aaa:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

Eeeeeeh, I got dismas killed twice now and yet he lives. There is a way to beat the system but if it weren't for a particular achievement I wouldn't care about party members dying.

Now you got me curious.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Champion dungeons are indeed easier because they expect you to be lvl 6 for any "Darkest" tier encounters, while Champion is 4-6 since they want you to use those for leveling.

Also cutting off this discussion at the head. Getting a little close to spoilers here.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update! Episode 9: Politics

bit late on the update sorry. Also I'd love to see "House Wang" and "House Chitlin" propaganda posters if any artists/photoshoppers are interested.

Also, a bit torn on what info-post I am gonna do next: should I discuss Quirks and Afflictions or do a write-up on The Cove. Or let me know what you guys want. Either way, kinda need a direction to write in.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 26, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Halser posted:

And now that I've watched the video I can reveal something.

I have actually changed the lines in-game to be funnier, at least considering my own sense of humor.

I have lines for Miss("Why did I bring a Leper") and dodge("Outskilled") and stuff like that.
here's a few examples(there's a Ruins boss spoiler there!)
http://imgur.com/a/RRAsy

this was probably overwritten with recent patches so I'd have to redo everything again if someone wanted the mod, but it shouldn't take longer than 20 or so minutes.

First image doesn't show the text correctly, but it's supposed to be a very subtle "OH gently caress"

Man. This should be a side project for this LP. Gotta think about this for a bit.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

vdate posted:

For reference, I'm moderately certain that https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623425061 is the mod Highwang is talking about, and some of these honestly do make me giggle.

That is indeed it.

User beware, it's very 2008 internet. That's probably why I like it though since I'm a goddamn fossil.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RareAcumen posted:

Highwang is absolutely right about mods.

That's just the surface of the garbage boat of mods DD gets.

Chitlin linked me to some mind-fraying ones. One of them being what would barely be described as Quiet from MGS5

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Help I'm dead from laughter.

Halser posted:

sure

the file is "miscellaneous.string_table.xml". I use notepad++ to read it, and it helps by coloring stuff so it's easier to read.

The lines that affect combat are generally the ones with "ui" tagged on it, like

the string inside CDATA is what pops up when someone dodges an attack.

Hmm. Might have to gently caress around with things.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

StoryTime posted:

Sorry about starting the derail, all!

I won't deny that its mildly interesting at least, mainly from the fact that I'm looking to start modding this game myself.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Episode 10: Dogpile

Today's just another episode of trying to get bosses unlocked as we run through the weald. Got some interesting discussion going at least. Cove Infopost should be coming either tomorrow or wednesday, I've just been neck-deep in Witcher 3 lately.

On my logic for anti-dodge moves:

I always have a hard time putting my thoughts into words on the fly so it sounds a bit weird in video, however my thoughts on skills such as Illumination and anything with dodge debuffs are as such: While the skills are good to have in general and have a really useful effect, I find them too unreliable to use on the high-dodge enemies they're meant for. This is because even though it is meant to reduce dodge, its not a guarantee to hit still since it still is a skill check between the hero's accuracy and the enemy's dodge. There's also the second check of the debuff's proc effect vs enemy resistance to go through as well. This is that "Double Check" thing I mentioned in-video, and while this may be confirmation bias I do tend to notce when those skills get dodged when I actively try to use them for their purpose.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Veloxyll posted:

Also way to finish the dungeon with 2 dog biscuits! The worst.

Also also I am 90% sure that those chests can inflict blight as well as bleed.

Source: http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Weald at the bottom. The reason why they bleed is because they have the info for luggage for whatever reason.

Never really found a threat worth using a dog treat over. Could've tossed those however. There should be more curio effects for the dog treat.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The Cove
Enjoy our rich aquatic wild-live and mystical fauna

Funny how we go from talking about the starter zone to talking about the last developed zone during early access. If the ruins was Army of Darkness, then the cove is Call of Cthulhu. The main theme of the cove is eldritch enemies, more specifically focused around fish-men and other aquatic fiends. In terms of combat, this area came with the advent of the PROT mechanic, so you'll be seeing a lot of that alongside a focus on bleeding damage from enemies. An offensive occultist would be a great thing to bring to this dungeon, since many of his skills come with anti-eldritch properties and he has a unique accessory that further buffs that; Should your occultist have the Eldritch Hater/Slayer quirks along with the Eldritch Slaying Incense, he can crit-storm a majority of the enemies in this area. Houndmaster is also a wonderful class to bring since his anti-prot technique is incredible, however the Bounty Hunter works just as well and can synergize with the Occultist you will most likely be bringing. As for items, you want to bring a bunch of shovels for treasure, medical herbs for both treasure and quirk removal, and band-aids for the gross amount of bleed here.

[timg]http://lpix.org/2554565/2016-08-14%2013-41-43.mp4_snapshot_00.25.41_[2016.08.31_16.27.50].jpg[/timg]

Exclusive Enemies (for now):

Pelagic Grouper (Threat Level: gently caress)
-Starting things off strong with the biggest threat of this dungeon. These guys are pain incarnate: They have high initiative, high damage, and a wide attack range. No one is safe from these jerks. They can attack the front two characters with Seaward Slash and the back two rows with Spearfishing. Both these attacks have high damage ranges considering they have to be the only real damage unit in the dungeon. Their biggest threat however is the encounter of Four Fishmen, easily rending your team's HP asunder before you can even act. These guys are awful. I would say kill them first, but there's an enemy that prevents that...

Pelagic Shaman (Threat Level: High)
-The other big threat of this dungeon, mainly from the support he brings to his allies. The Shaman brings two support skills that can make a run much more frustrating: It can use Sea Breeze to heal an enemy for a fair bit of HP, and it can also use Call of the Deep to buff an enemies accuracy, crit chance, and more importantly damage. An interesting offensive option it has is Stress Wave, which is comprable to Stressful Incarnation but moves the Shaman back one space along with having a 40% chance to target two people. All of these moves can used in rank 2-4, which leaves the shaman vulnerable if you get him to rank 1, where he only has a dinky Ceremonial Cut to respond with. He may not be the biggest threat in general, but in practice he does have to die first since he's the healer and can pad the fight longer than you would care to indulge in.

Pelagic Guardian (Threat Level: zzzzzzzz)
-With the creation of the PROT mechanic came the most tedious and non-threatening enemy in the game. The Guardian is a sack of HP with a wall of Prot that exists to get in your drat way as you try to kill the Shaman. This enemy only has two abilities: His main gimmick is to guard any enemy with Barnacle Barrier along with buff his own prot to even more staggering levels, while his other attack from his Octocestus does low damage but also causes a small bleed effect as well. The sad part is that while this guy exists to take the hit and save his friends, an aoe including his bodyguard will ignore the guard completely and a stun will cancel out the guard, so if you're prepared then he's a non-issue. An even funnier thing is that if you push a Guardian to rank 4, all he can do is guard a target and then nothing else. I really do hate this enemy though just because of how exponentially long he can pad out a fight.

Sea Maggot (Threat Level: Low)
-Hey look, even more PROT enemies! I enjoy this guy's gimmick at least; he's got a thick shell of 50%+ PROT to cover his low HP levels, so he's not a chore to fight. He only has one attack with Brine, which does low damage but can debuff a target's dodge and has a chance to cause any disease as well. The main reason why I classify him as a bigger threat than the Guardian is because of his disease chance and the ability to remove your dodge. There's no real strategy to fighting him though, just hack at him like a coconut.

Deep Stinger (Threat level: Medium)
-The Deep Stinger is a dirty fighter that focuses on status effects to control your team. Both his attacks operate at any range, so any move effects have no real effect on his capacity to attack. Both his attacks also have the off-chance to disease your heroes with any disease, which can get frustrating. His big attack is Shocker, which does miniscule damage but can stun your mercenaries and also debuff their bleed resistance. Their other attack, Salty Gouge, does more damage alongside a bleed effect, and it can also debuff the dodge chance of your adventurers. Luckily they don't come with a lot of HP, so if you don't like the rest of the Stinger's team then it would be best to kill him first since it can stun dudes and reduce your capacity to attack.

Drowned Thrall (Threat level: Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes)
-The Drowned Thrall is a neat concept to me but ultimately a gimmick fight. You have two turns, barring any stuns, to kill this guy or else you will regret your inability to do so. His first attack will always be Gargling Grab, which does decent damage to your front rows and causes mild stress damage. His second attack will always be The Revenge, where he does a suicide attack that causes extreme damage and stress damage to your entire team. A Thrall has decent stun resistance, so a stun is basically a coin flip in regards to these guys. Their attacks can be done from any range, so move skills do nothing to them. Basically you want to bull-rush this guy with everyone and kill him first, or he will kill you all first.

Curios & Effects

Barnacle Crusted Chest
-You stand before pirate treasure, matey. Old-rear end treasure, covered in sharp pointy aquatic life. If you hit this thing with a Shovel, it'll remove all the barnacles and allow you to grab all the wonderful treasures and heirlooms within. If you interact with it without an item, you'll get less treasure in general but also have a chance to get either nothing or your hero will cut his hand on the barnacles and bleed all over the place. Worth the extra shovels imo.

Bas-Relief
-A curious statue of an unnerving nature. You could use a Shovel to interact with this, however doing so will set the chosen hero's stress to 100 so I wouldn't recommend it. A vanilla interaction however comes with a high chance for a free random positive quirk, a low chance at a random negative quirk, and the very rare chance of getting the disease "The Red Plague." Worth the gamble imo, the odds are mostly in your favor and there's a curio that can offset the negatives of this anyway.

Brackish Tide Pool
-This is a curio that, on paper, is mostly positive however I always seem to have bad luck with it. A vanilla interaction with this pool will either give you a high chance of buffing the heroes status effect resist until a camping session, while also having an off-chance of giving the hero a random disease. Using Antivenom on this however will purify the pool, allowing you to heal some HP and stress on one of your heroes. I honestly don't bother preparing for this curio since the benefits are not really worth spending money for. The Vanilla interaction also scares me since I always seem to get diseases from this pool, however you can chalk this up to confirmation bias more than anything. Cool I guess.

Eerie Coral
-This is the main reason why I go to the Cove. The reason being is if you use a Medicinal Herb on this coral, it will remove one negative quirk, at random, for free. Vanilla interactions will either cause the hero to heal stress damage, take stress damage, or get nothing at all. This is a huge money saver, and while the curio isn't guaranteed to appear in a dungeon it can save cash compared to the hospital. Always pack herbs in anticipation for these.

Fish Idol
-A pelagic totem of religious worship, and a pain in the butt without holy water. If you vanilla interact with this curio, your hero will be debuffed with either low damage & accuracy or low dodge until you setup camp. Suffice to say, you shouldn't be doing this. However, if you use Holy Water on this statue, you will instead get a buff to either damage or damage & accuracy until your next camp. I honestly never pack in anticipation of this curio, it doesn't really offer much in return for what you pay for.

Fish Carcass
-A big, disgusting fish corpse rife with disease and sharp bones. The smart thing to do with this is disinfect it with Medicinal Herbs, allowing you to grab all the wonderful treasures and heirlooms this creature feasted on, along with the possible chance of getting some food as well. A vanilla interaction with this is much more riskier however: You have a high chance of getting nothing, a low chance of getting some treasure, and a low chance of getting blighted, diseased, or bleed. This is the other reason why I bring medicinal herbs here, the reward that comes from this is quite frankly staggering.

Giant Oyster
-This curio amuses me more than it should. If you do a vanilla interaction with this clam it can give you a small amount of treasure, nothing at all, or bite you for a bleed effect. If you use a Shovel on it, you pry the poor creature's moth open and are free to take all the treasure within its maw. However, if you have a houndmaster in the team, you can feed the oyster one of your Dog Treats to get a huge dodge buff. I don't know what the logic for the dodge buff is, I just assume the oyster likes you and licks you like a goofy dog. Either way, this curio is a good reason to waste a shovel.

Ship's Figurehead
-A monument to those lost at sea. There's no item interactions with this curio, however you have no need to do so either way since a basic interaction will either buff your damage and speed until a camping session or just heals 33% of your current stress level. Free buffs/healing? Always touch this statue.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Also gotta say thanks to everyone else covering questions I missed due to either sleeping away summer or burying myself in Witcher 3 lately.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So, to the code wizards following this thread, I've noticed in the localization files there are the files that display normally but they also have .loc files for different languages such as brazilian, french, etc. This is a wild assumption on my part, but if I do decide to work on a comedy mod can I make it a .loc file and have the gags be a "language" that the game displays?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I have tasted the forbidden fruit. This LP may start going in even weirder directions. Have a sample.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 11: The Meatgrinder

Someone was asking about Leper builds. While this episode isn't one technically, it shows a really good teamcomp involving the leper. We also discuss more development history of the game, healer strats, and generally hate enemies with PROT.

Also, the rage video I mention at the end of the episode? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW-Y445jUc

On an aside, I've begun modding the game, as shown with an earlier post. I'm thinking of doing dev-streams for what I'm calling "Darkest Goonhouse" mod where I peruse through the code and replace various lines of text with bad jokes. I'm bringing this up because I'm not all that funny, so I figure the community can help out in these streams as well and help to make a unique product out of this LP. Chitlin's badgering me to do one tomorrow/this weekend, however I will also make an announcement on YT whenever I do one of these streams. Be wary though, these """""Dev-streams""""" will be spoiler heavy as well so watch out.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 2, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tylana posted:

When playing yesterday some corpses auto-cleared. Maybe more like 4 rounds, which is longer than a lot of fights, but I was doing a Anti/BH/Cr/Cr team for no sane reason. Had several Death's Door checks on poor Reynauld due to starvation because the rate of food use is just weird and screwy (and because I backtracked to a secret room because greed). So much Prot in green Warrens, weep.

This is why I hate Hunger. Its such a crap-shoot mechanic with no feedback given to subvert it.

double nine posted:

I lean too much on using my camping at the last part of the dungeon to use it as a heal. Basically I go through the entire dungeon, set up camp at/before the last area and use all camp activities on reducing stress. This allows me to instantly send them out again without bothering with the inn or abbey but does mean I lose out on damage buffs and mid-dungeon heals.

I tend to camp half-way through a dungeon unless its a boss, where instead I rest before the boss since that is basically the halfway point in many instances.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 12: "No corpses make the game harder"

The last of the drudgery episodes, today is an episode of being ill prepared and under-equipped but it doesn't matter since Glaive is a strong Hellion.

We also talk a bit about the game's inspirations, bring up corpses once more, and also discuss how I can't read.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Episode 13: Apply directly to Forehead

Infopost soon to come on our fine guest today, who livened up an otherwise quick run.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 9, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

(image found floating around on the net. If anyone finds a source I will credit them)

The Collector

The Collector is a midboss seen randomly in the dungeon, and is set to appear once you have more than half your inventory full. Based on the Yellow King, this midboss is primarily a summoner and will more than often spend time refreshing his minions should he ever find himself in short company. Said attack, known as Collect Call, will summon three heads in varying amounts from the classes that you pick up heads from in secret rooms. Collector will open up the fight with this skill, and will use this skill in elevated frequency as you kill more of his summons. His other attacks can range in threat value depending on the situation. His most used attack is Show Collection, which hits your front two ranks for ~10 stress damage, but does nothing else so its something you hope for. Comparatively, Life Steal has a high damage range, high crit rate, can bleed and mark the victim, and worse off heal the Collector for 10 HP. Suffice to say, Lifesteal is his worst attack just by merit of making the fight longer.

The rest of the Collector's "attacks" comes from his cohorts.

Collected Highwayman

The Collected Highwayman is a man of variable threat level to other players and me. His only attack is Headhunt, which does a decent amount of damage, has a respectable crit rate, and can bleed. This is where a majority of this fight's damage comes from, and depending on how many bandit heads are on the field it can range from an easy fight to a bloodbath. Many consider him the biggest threat due to his high speed and the AI's propensity to target low-HP characters. I don't mind him, mainly because I bring a lot of control to my teamcomp that results in him being a useless body that reduces the chance of Collector summoning more heads. In reference to the episode, two appeared and I normally remove one, but my healers was capable of out-healing one guy and I locked down the other one.

Collected Man-at-Arms

The Collected Man-at-Arms is not a threat at all, but goddamn is he irritating. His only attack is Head Games, which gives him PROT and has him intercept attacks on a target. His AI is also more inclined to protect the Collector and Highwayman more than the Vestal and other MoA heads, so he loves getting in the way. This head, in some sick sense, is one of the preferred heads to be on the field since its a wasted slot that you can easily manipulate with a stun. Without a stun though, he becomes an irritating sack of HP.

Collected Vestal

The collected Vestal is the support of this group, and as usual I attack her first because she will prolong the fight. Her main ability is Headstrong, which heals a target for 6-12 HP, while Headache buffs an enemy's damage/ACC/Crit to dangerous levels. Seeing a Headache buff on the Highwayman or the Collector is the worst thing to deal with, and with her keeping the fight going longer through healing this gives the Collector more chances to stack stress on you. This is why she dies first. Many people claim to leave her on the field since you can out-damage her heals, but the buff is the bigger threat and staying in this fight longer is exactly the opposite of what I want.

On strategies for the Collector, I prefer to bull-rush the Collector and any Vestals on the field while keeping any Highwayman and MoA heads on lockdown. Unlike most typical boss fights with ads, Collector will actively try to keep the field full since those are his actions, so you want to keep useless bodies around so he'll waste his time doing other attacks. If you do the opposite and try to clear the field, this keeps the battle going for longer without any clear advantages. AoE's and DoT's are great here since the MoA head is a thing that can prolong the fight way longer than it should go, and a clever AoE will ignore guard while DoT's will chew through his disgusting PROT. This boss is probably the easier of the midbosses since it has that element of RNG, but it can catch people offguard with how much pain he brings to the party. One last thing to note: Once you kill the Collector, the heads still stick around, so if there's still a MoA or Vestal around then you can take the time to heal/de-stress while it does nothing.

For beating the Collector you can get a single Puzzling Trapozohedron, or the offchance of getting one of the coveted head-accessories.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

DGM_2 posted:

I note the jester's mask has no holes for the mouth or nose. Could you even breathe in one of those things if it's made of porcelain rather than cloth?

The real joke is that Jester is suffocating this whole time under that mask.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Attestant posted:

Now Ive been marathoning the game the past few days, and am ahead of the LP now, and everything is horrible!

That's always the most terrifying thing when you buy a game thanks to a LP. I did the same with XCOM 2 and that roller-coaster was intense.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Hello I am pretty late with the new update

Episode 14: The Night Hag, Who are we gunning for next?

On the mod project, I mention it in episode 16 but I'll bring it up now: I'm up for taking recommendations on what to mod text-wise in the game. This is a dense project however with a lot of things to mod so if you're going to give recommendations:
-Act with discretion. It would be awful to be super excited and give me a list of everything only for me to skip most of it because...
-Be funny, unlike me. That's the whole point of this afterall.
-Try to recommend things that will be visually seen. Most of the stuff I did is things that don't get much screen time such as items or player attacks cause I'm dumb.

Any recommendations I like, I'll (hopefully) put it in the character recruitment listing. Here's hoping this LP gives something back to the community...?

Edit: Oh! As if by some freaky coincidence, Red Hook has posted the back-story for the Graverobber!

Edit mk2

Genocyber posted:

Money waifu is good to me.

I almost want to throw you off a cliff for that character's name.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 12, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

paragon1 posted:

So what does the narrator actually say when you go to fight the hag? I didn't catch much of it through Chitlin laughing his rear end off.

Yeah I was trying to keep things silent there but that was too precious to interrupt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7D_7aDFmxg

Also Chitlin's got a bunch of these videos ready to go. I'll link that playlist in the OP and Chitlin will be managing that as the LP goes on. I hope.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 13, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RickVoid posted:

Leper also appears to have been a King.

Glidergun posted:

I believe it's generally accepted that the Leper is inspired in part by Baldwin IV, the Leper King of Jerusalem.
Pretty much confirmed by his default name found in game-data.

A lot of them are clever references. As stated in this thread and in Chip's Uncharted 4 LP, Dismas is the penitent thief, Paracelsus is a famous plague doctor(?), Boudicca is a famous war leader, etc.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I imagine a truly canonical version of this story involves the Heir (Player Character), Reynauld and Dismas showing up first, and as they start fighting their way through the others start trickling in. The Vestal and Plague Doctor already being in town is explained by one of them being part of the Abbey and the other the Sanitarium. The Abomination is probably found haunting the Weald in beast form and brought back to study, at which point he reverts and he shares his backstory. The Grave Robber and Antiquarian show up together, because they figure this is a huge score just waiting to happen and have been working with each other for a while. So on and so forth.

It becomes a story of shared pain and working together to rebuild something grand that has fallen into disrepair. The Heir along the way learns to value other humans in a way his ancestor never did. The various heroes find some small measure of closure for their own pasts through applying some serious harm to the monsters.

Hahahahha. How delightfully positive. Too bad this is Darkest Dungeon and that's too positive for this reality.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Okay this is getting into fanfic.txt territory. Time to stop.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Grievances are duly noted. Once the two-episode backlog is over, old data will return.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Hello I'm writing this at midnight in a caffeine-induced state. There may be inaccuracies, they will be addressed once pointed out.

The Hag

The Hag is the first boss you will encounter in the Weald, and its honestly the hardest fight out of all the normal bosses from my viewpoint. The Hag is your big lesson in understanding the concept of Action Economy, since unlike the Necromancer she gets two actions per turn, and her gimmick specifically reduces your actions by one whilst damaging said removed action. By reducing your team's damage output by one body, this makes the fight a delicate balance of keeping heroes alive while actually damaging the boss itself. One major thing to note: The Hag and her pot cannot be moved since they each have maximum move resistance on every difficulty, and when the pot isn't filled it has huge HP values along with 100% prot so you aren't removing its gimmick by any normal means. Also, if you run from the Hag while a hero is in the pot, the hero is killed as a result since no one saved their life.

The Hag's first and most damaging attack is Into the Pot (Labeled as Behold my Gimmick in the vid), a physical attack that will choose a hero to throw into her cauldron. Into the Pot is a physical attack with a high hit rate, and once a hero is in the pot they will take roughly 9% of their max HP in damage every action, so you have roughly 10 actions, including the Hag's, to free a victim. Once a person in the pot is at Death's Door, they will be dumped from the pot and placed in the front row, which can be extremely hazardous if your healers or someone very specific (ex: Abomination, Rank 2 Vestal, Incision PD) were in the pot to begin with. That being said, once someone is thrown in the pot, your formation is altered in kind with everyone pulled forward to compensate for the loss of space, and subsequently pushed back once they are released. In order to deal with this, once someone is in the cauldron it has substantially less HP and no PROT so one or two good hits will dump someone out of the pot. This is pretty much why I find the Hag the worst of the Big Eight; I usually run very fixed teams that cannot operate if they are shuffled around, and this boss shuffles just enough to ruin very simple things I do such as putting the Vestal from r3 to r2, putting the Hellion out of r1, and so on.

The Hag's other attacks aren't bad on their own, but exist to supplement the circumstance of anyone coming out of the pot into Death's Door territory. Her second-most threatening attack is Meat Tenderizer (labeled as Beat the Meat in video). This move hits everyone for a small range of damage with a small crit rate. This move can wear you down if you aren't loaded with healers, and on a bad day she will do this move almost consistently. I'm not sure if Iron Chitlin's post on it being programmed to be used on ejection is accurate since I can't find that info myself, however this move is a big threat if someone does get ejected from the pot at death's door considering she *will* hit the death-door victim since that state comes with a dodge debuff. Another attack she possesses is Seasoned to Perfection (labeled as Pinch of MSG in the video). This move is primarily meant to slow down your team; it causes stress damage alongside debuffing your hero's ACC and Damage, and most importantly, it does 1 damage. While 1 damage sounds like a piss amount, considering how easily you can be thrown in Death's Door, that still makes this attack a threat since its a potential Deathblow. This attack however is mainly meant to slow down your cauldron-tipping endeavors with its debuffs, and it really hurts if it hits your front-lines. Her last attack is one we didn't see in video, Taste the Stew. This move also does stress damage, but it also heals the Hag for a mild amount. Much like Seasoning, it also does 1 damage as well, holding the potential for a Deathblow.

The fight with the Hag begins at home, since you really have to prepare for this fight. Once you choose your team, be absolutely sure they can do three things: Operate in the front row, attack rank 3 from a variety of positions, and either have a retreat mechanism to get them to the back or have a move skill that puts them more than one space back. Good examples are: Graverobber's Shadow Fade, Highwayman's Point-blank Shot, Crusader's Holy Lance, Jester's Finale (no I'm not stoned), Antiquarian's "Get down!", you get the idea. Mobility is the key factor of this fight, and you want people that won't get positively rear end-rammed if they get pulled out of place. Secondly, be sure to consider what camping skills you use for this fight: Things like Hellion's Battle Trance are terrible since she needs to be in a specific spot, while something like the Man at Arms' skill Tactics or the Vestal's Pray give your entire party that extra bit of survivability to power through multiple Tenderizer hits. A good stun would be amazing here; bringing a lvl 2 Houndmaster with stun trinkets will *plausibly* restrict the Hag's actions by one so long as he's not in the pot, and the stun buff will be removed with her second action, so if done well it will either result in heavily reduced damage and possibly only throwing people in the pot.

One thing I should let you all know though, this fight with the Hag was a terrible example of one due to how rigid my team was. The big reason why my team-comp was so bad was because of the skills I picked for my team. My GR was still operating on her r2 DPS build and was in an awkward spot anytime she was out of it. My support team of Jester and Vestal would also have their versatility cut once a person got thrown in the pot; As we saw in the video, my Jester could not Battle Ballad us to comical speed/dodge rates since he kept getting shoved into rank 2, and had my Vestal instead been in rank 3 she would only be able to use her party-heal once someone got potted and she inadvertently got pulled into rank 2. Looking back on things, an Arbalest would've been a better off-healer since her comical crit rate on Sniper Shot can possibly one-shot the filled up cauldron, and a Houndmaster could've served as better control for the Hag with Blackjack. Its an interesting thing to think about since I don't really have any good answers for her.

Finally, some trivia: The Cauldron is the only "creature" in this game with the Crockery type. This doesn't matter in the longrun. Also, that very cauldron is an accessory for the Occultist as well, albeit much smaller.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Episode 15: Rocky and Mugsy

BIG pig fight! Also a small note: I mention that its the only enemy that takes up 3 spaces, but I'm wrong. There are others that I forgot about from a few of the final updates.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Cythereal posted:

Star Wars: The Old Republic has a fight like that, too, in a raid. You're up against Master and Blaster, a tiny little astromech droid and a giant war machine. Do not gently caress with Master.

More on topic, isn't there an achievement for getting killed by Wilbur?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Grapplejack posted:

Man, you've got an insane amount of trinkets compared to where I am. I'm playing it my first time through and your write-up in the OP is helpful. I'm not sure how you're getting those trinkets though.

A lot of them come from curio interactions. "Cleansing" a treasure trove results in accessories half the time. Doing so with an Antiquarian helps as well due to their crazy item-find tricks.

Choosing your quests properly help as well. Mission difficulty and length factor into your reward, so at this point a medium-length mission on green difficulty would yield me an uncommon(green) accessory while a short-length mission would get me a white(common) one.

Finally, the gimmick accessories, as you've seen, are crap-shoots to get. The heads are easy enough to get if you constantly bring a Graverobber/Houndmaster/Bounty Hunter and use the scouting camp skills. That music box I got during the hag mission though, that is the hard one to get. The only other time I got that was during a end-game quest from a curio.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 16: Siren (Not the PS2 Game)

Last of the first wave of boss fights, today we look at Hag 2.0. Writeups for both Swine King and Siren will be up soon. Spent too much time enjoying this weekend.

RareAcumen posted:

My Dismas has been struck by that most insidious of mind killers.

We need a garf version of that.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Devs posted another comic today, most likely trying to finish up their backstories that they left on the backburner for the Sony console ports

Technowolf posted:

Highwang, is the story you're reading "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" by any chance? Cause if it is, you've got a few of the details mixed up.

Yep. And most likely, during that recording I had just started it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

IMJack posted:

Sorry, um, careful, sorry, sorry...

Why are these corridors so cramped, jeez...

Fanart request: Moonwalker Vestal. With MJ's hat because why not?

• Locked thread