Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

Actually very good points, and it is something special that a group of FYAD regulars came in to shout this post down and post about neopets for five pages in an attempt to drop the conversation

Yeah, those bigots are wily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

i feel that if it's brought up every few pages or so, the people that lemming in here to defend FYAD will be the same group of dudes each time.

isolating some actual fyadposters so people can't really say "oh he was never part of fyad, never seen him before"

on another note, how many of you remember Taylor Swift? Not the famous singer, but the poster on Something Awful Dot Com?

They were banned in April of 2018 for having what could only be described as a hilariously racist twitter account, and they were sniffed out in the Fortnite thread in Games. Not too much to look at, but he was the active moderator for the Gaming Garbage discord up until that banning occurred, where he would regularly post anime tits and nazi vaporwave memes from Identity Europa along with the rest of his group of friends.

When cornered in the fortnite thread (really, the fortnite thread), his main defense for posting some truly awful racist bullshit on his twitter and the aforementioned new-wave-retro nazi propaganda was:

This rear end in a top hat's rise to what can only be considered a lackluster amount of power was due to two things: first, the GBS 2.0 reboot that caused a flood of actual bigots to take over that space until it was rightfully fumigated, and second, general abandonment of the GG discord to whoever was interested in it.

Administration acted swiftly by banning Tay, as well as demodding from the GG server and reshuffling the entire moderation staff there (seeing as most of the moderators there were friends of Tay)

but if you check Tay's rapsheet, there's not a single iota of bigotry beforehand, people just had to connect some dots and post what he was doing offsite to uncover that he was an actual white supremacist (or an incredibly in-depth ironic white supremacist) so yes, bigots are wily in the sense that a lot of them won't spout outright slurs unless they don't give a poo poo, they'll just post cloaked stuff, ask for avenues of discussion to be shut down for the sake of decorum, so on and so forth.

The perfidious bigots are experts at hiding their hate. But it’s no matter; we know what they are, and they will be banned.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

This is actively confusing for me each and every time because there was another Taylor Swift account (but must be spelled differently) banned around the same time or I 2017, maybe for trolling... But that Taylor Swift was a nice Latinx(?) feminist, activist woman who several of us met at a DC goons meet and did not espouse Nazi views. :tinfoil:

Sometimes it’s the people you least expect.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is a good post, Dumb Lowtax is right, and I'm not going to let it get drowned out by fyad

Also sestze posts have been good

Absolutely. We need to use the “one-drop” rule when it comes to FYAD posts and ban on sight anyone who has even dipped a toe into that cesspool, just to be sure.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

and I am all for your complete removal from the forums, user Fucker

after all, wasn't Taylor Swift's defense of their white nationalism "I thought this was a comedy website?"

not that you haven't fallen into that hole and used that justification before, no?

somehow i think your attempts to paint everyone pointing out issues with FYAD posters as paranoid are not coming from a place of genuine concern.

Yep. Anyone pretending FYAD isn’t and hasn’t always been an outpost for bigoted sociopaths is either delusional or one of them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Anarchist Mae posted:

Only barely. gently caress off back to FYAD.

I also have a positive post count, and one significantly higher than that obvious FYAD troll’s. Do I have your permission to agree with you that FYAD is a nest for bigots?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Wasn't there a goon family that spent all their money meant to feed their children on a new PC to play World of Warcraft of all things at max settings?

I remember that Wojtek was a Goon Squad member that tried to participate in a raid on his laptop while he was in the hospital with his wife, who was giving birth.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i remember that, and the pictures of the trash house they lived in, and it kind of actually had a happy ending as far as i recall, with them making a sincere effort to reform and clean up their hellscape home and actually do things like "take your kid to school instead of making them do everything for themselves"

its been a long time ago and i think there were multiple instances of goons having problems neglecting kids in favor of mmos, including the story of a guy who tried to play with goons while his wife was having a kid and admitted such in the ingame chat or something, they've kind of blurred together in my mind

The latter story was Wojtek. I believe he left the raid after being chastised by the rest of his team.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

oh poo poo, imp zone, that's a good one to talk about too

who here remembers YCS, the fabled 186 forum on the somethingawful forums? Once upon a time, this fyad-lite was popular enough to be included as an easter egg in Fallout: New Vegas as a unique gauss rifle.

'cause I do. YCS was practically overrun with bigotry, slurs were practically a punchline to every single thread and the posting quality dropped like a loving rock. Posters in that subforum were a little elitist clique regarding who posted there, and eventually it was shuttered entirely, existing only as a meme within a videogame.

Teh Imp Zone was effectively a rebooting of YCS but without all that unfortunate bigotry that plagued it the first time around.

im glad you're contributing to the storied history of the SomethingAwful forums by posting in the video games fyad-lite whose zombified remains comes from one of the most unashamedly racist places on this entire forum.

If this sounds familiar, it’s because it’s happening again. The filth can never be washed off except with the cleansing flames of a total memory-holing. Simply recreating a bigoted forum with a new name will just allow the same bigots to post under new accounts with coded language.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

the closure of QCS was a truly tragic event due to the tipping point of the recent drama involving rampant bigotry in FYAD, however some may say that it was a long time coming.

QCS itself had issues in the past with brigading, cheerleading, shitposting and general bad posting from FYAD members and FYAD rejects that would take honest criticisms of issues on the forums and shitpost until eventually most issues posted there were relatively unresolved. By simply being themselves in a less moderated subforum, FYAD posters got away with being able to smother criticism and derail any attempts at actually improving the SA forums.

QCS's closure was Smythe's doing, but with Smythe stepping down as an administrator in the wake of his somewhat lackluster statement regarding what was to happen to FYAD, it remains closed now as a testament to how coddled your average FYAD poster is, and the state of chaos and confusion that is plaguing our administrative team at this time.

I have a feeling QCS will be reopened, with new, stricter rules regarding brigading/shitposting, but finding someone willing to full-time moderate that part of the forums seems to be a relatively difficult thing to do.

The one good thing about QCS being closed is that its last page of threads will continue to stand as a testament to the vile lengths FYAD will go to get their way.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

are those tossed upon the funeral pyre forgotten, did the utter destruction and removal of nazi symbolism in Germany lead to that country making the same mistakes again?

simply ignoring the issues after a soft reboot simply solves no issues, the core issues remain unless the culture changes. If FYAD exists simply as a place to be an internet sociopath, why are we keeping that particular appendix?

I’m agreeing with you. Restarting the subforum with “new rules” solves nothing; all traces of it need to be erased. The only way anyone should be able to learn about FYAD is by reading a carefully curated SApedia article about its bigotry.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sestze posted:

Carefully curating it would actually be necessary as the cultural battleground that is FYAD has already sparked numerous wiki edits to the SomethingAwful wiki page accusing Koala's March of being an antifa commander aiming to take over the entire website to push it towards an SJW agenda.

I know most of what you're saying is meant to be taken as hyperbolic, but in all honesty, yes, FYAD shouldn't be here, the reasons why it isn't here anymore should be summarized in the SAclopedia, and we shouldn't make the same mistake again.

The good news is, it looks like FYAD has finally taken its mandate of self moderation seriously. I know it’s small comfort, but at least we won’t have to read any more of their dogwhistles. I only hope the forums administration takes this as a sign that they won’t receive any pushback if they just go ahead and erase the subforum from the source code.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

this is in theory a good idea, but suppose someone wanted to criticize the mod of the motorcycle forum. as a subforum mod or ik for qcs, are we to close the forum down and wait for the cool motorbike mod to ride in and post their take before reopening it? in that case, discussion of systemic issues would have all of their power given to the mods to decide which discussion is and is not permitted.

this is, of course, assuming it would be timely. the motorbike mod might have some bike stuff they have to do, and can not respond to the forum. should we require the volunteer mods be ready to post in QCS at all times, phoning them in real life? this solution does not seem feasible to me.

If there’s a problem with the motorbike mod, they should be tried by a jury of their peers. The problem arises when it’s discovered that a cultural issue that encompasses most of the forums extends to the moderation team as well. Are we, as posters, expected to lie down and submit to the whims of a toxic group of bigots because some of them have friends on the mod staff?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

It's not my place to air grievances but as part of an ongoing saga I would like to say that in all the rest of this bloodbath a good friend of mine, windmillslayer, a trans poster who was in fact doxxed by kiwifarms very early on in an absolutely disgusting way was hit with a 24 hours probation for, admittedly inelegantly, suggesting that arfjason was a good poster and friend of hers and that it is possible for him to be a better person than someone who was trans.

It seems really unjust and that this whole issue with the forums is becoming more about a small clique of posters crushing minor dissent, even among posters who agree with them ideologically, in a bit of an ironic mirror to what fyad used to do. It's getting to me and it feels like nothing will be resolved anytime soon.

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ruffini posted:

Can you literally say anything other than this?

Is anything else needed? Why offer even the tiniest modicum of kindness to a cohort that would prefer to see you dead?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

There loving were, but you still keep accusing literally every loving person now because you saw a wolf.

There were, there are. It’s our responsibility to make sure there won’t be.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dryzen posted:

yeah like his most famous concern troll of telling people in the star citizen subforum that doxxing is bad lol

One good deed does not a saint make.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

people are accusing anyone of being from fyad for thinking this is all getting insane, and people are being incredibly loving stupid and argumentative for no reason at this point other than just being overly dramatic at this point.

You don’t have to be from FYAD to be a bigoted dumpsterfire of a human being... But it helps.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

They posted a ton in adtrw too, and had a habit of continuing fruitless lines of dialogue they probably shouldn't have in my experience. Them starting a conversation and then refusing to leave when it turns against them is more par for the course and although as I've said I don't know them enough to vouch my own safety it doesn't seem likely they were an alt of some kiwifarms or fyad poster because they weren't really funny or cruel, just earnest.

A lot of FYADs have alt accounts just for making earnest posts in grey forums. If you tried to post earnestly in FYAD about anything, you would be laughed out for “tedious realposting.” It was necessary for the bigots to hide their sensitive sides under secret grey forum accounts that have fortunately been forced to tear the masks from their faces in the wakes of their bannings.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If you seriously think this thread would naturally devolve into a fevered discussion of neopets of all things without prodding from FYAD rabble-rousers, you need to seriously examine your critical thinking capabilities.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ruffini posted:

Everyone who is transphobic was banned hth

This is a facile perspective. Are you suggesting that there were only *checks notes* six transphobes posting on this forum?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Thank you. A perfect guide to the kind of bullshit anyone accosted by FYAD has to deal with.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fucker posted:

I can't tell if dumb lowtax is trolling or genuine or what, a lot of very weird clearly wrong poo poo and theres a surprising amount of people signing off on it unconditionally

Care to be specific about what is “clearly wrong,” or are you just expecting us to take for granted that these truths are not self-evident?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ruffini posted:

Transphobia=ban. That's it.

Someone continuing to post means they bought their account back. If you start saying transphobe=permaban that is a different story.

I said nothing of what you just wrote.

Oh gently caress off, you pedantic pile of burning refuse.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Why are you here?

Just another FYAD brigading with his fellow trolls. That, or a wannabe trying to curry favor with the Pink Reich.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Don’t pay attention to the cretins who will insist that this “isn’t actually FYAD.”

Edit: Well look at that.