Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I just can't bring myself to replay 3. It's not a terrible game, but after redownloading it a while back I just got to thinking about it and decided to uninstall it again. There's just something missing from that game, and it's not Frank.

I think my biggest gripe with 3 is that it's too much of a sprawling mess. What I liked about 1 and 2 was that they were smaller, self-contained areas. I don't want Dead Rising to be an Open World, I just want it to be a playground. I want it to be a ball pit full of zombies.

3, I think, has no real clear concept.

Like yeah, it is 'bigger' but bigger doesn't mean much. You have MORE combo weapons but the combo weapons honestly devalue a lot of the game because they overwhelm everything else. There's on fun in trying to find a usable weapon after your last one breaks because you've got twenty seven super-weapons stacked inside Nick. This has always been a problem with DR but it's worse in DR3 because the simplified mechanics over-emphasize it. There's nothing about it that is 'distinctly' DR3. 1 had photography and the entire start of the concept, 2 had combo weapons being introduced, 3 just feels like more of the same. (I'm genuinely concerned 4 will run into this problem too.)

It also lacks personality. Nick is kind of boring. The city is kind of boring. The plot is kind of boring despite having the makings of something interest. The large open city means each individual area is less memorable because there's so much space you don't go "Oh poo poo, I'm going to Jill's Sandwiches to get some healing items" it is "I'm going into this place for some stuff."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

My single biggest criticism of DR2 is its heavy reliance on 2000s-era "random" humor, yeah. Half the survivors and most of the psychopaths are just stupid.

There are a few eccentric survivors in DR2 that I don't mind, like Kirsten the showgirl (she shows up early enough in the game that it's believable that she got super drunk the night before and has only now gotten up) or even Andy the suicidal guy, but after replaying it recently, it's hard not to want to throw a lot of them to the zombies yourself. Bill's the one everyone complains about (pay me $35,000 or I'm staying right here), but the one that really gets me is Woodrow, the bank president who's emptying out the cash machines.

Funny story: at least in OTR, I'm pretty sure Woodrow is the only survivor that you're actually rewarded for killing. He gives you something like fifty grand if you rescue him, plus whatever you get from following him around, since he constantly drops $100 bills as he runs. If you kill him yourself and open his money case, it has $250,000 in it.

OTR/DR I think suffers from the fact that the first game was considered funny but at least part of the humor was unintentional or more subdued then it was made out to be and unfortunately the reputation (combined with the developer switch) made them try a bit too hard to force what came naturally to the first game. This isn't an uncommon thing especially with games that get a reputation for being wacky or humorous but it stands out a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

https://news.xbox.com/2016/10/19/dead-rising-4-deluxe-edition-pre-order/

The Deluxe Edition of DR4 includes story DLC, "Frank Rising," and a mini-golf game.

Is Frank Rising supposed to be a light remake of DR1 or something? "Freshly Infected" Frank would be in Dr1, wouldn't it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, if Frank is double-plus infected that would make more sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perhaps it will be revealed that this isn't the real Frank West but rather a body double who took over while the real Frank went undercover to complete a different mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really interested in hearing opinions on DR4. A lot of what I hear about it sounds pretty meh to me but I was one of the people who liked the weird roguelike atmosphere of DR1/2 and I'm sad to hear they're walking back from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit I genuinely have no loving idea who wants to know the psychology behind Frank West wearing a servbot head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

I've always wondered how hard it would be to add simple mods to games like this to appeal to a bigger base. I get that Dead Rising (and now XCOM2) are known for the timer mechanic, Dark Souls is known for punishing difficulty, Git Gud, etc. Would it really be so hard to make everyone happy by giving them options for an easy mode or timer-less mode? Tons of games have Ironman, Hardcore mode, NG+, 4 different difficulty levels, etc. You'd think it would be standard on any game with such obviously divisive mechanics.

You'd open your market from exclusively niche hardcore purists to the filthy casuals, of which there are a lot. Many gamers like myself are older now and have jobs/kids/etc. I can't dump endless hours to grind for days or memorize every enemy location on a given map. More options=Bigger market=more sales, and older gamers generally have more disposable income to boot. Kinda seems like a no-brainer.

The major issue with adding these modes is that the timer element is a core part of the game design. There are people willing to accept games that are easy because they cut out content but there are also people who get genuinely upset that things 'don't work right' because they're designed around mechanics they chose to ignore. It's possible to do but like X-COM with no timer is something that has a lot of mechanics that just make no sense without them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

maybe they shouldn't make the timer so central to the process.

That isn't really a reasonable way to do it, because in doing so you limit what designers can do, and especially for something like a time limit it *needs* to be fairly central to have any impact at all. Something like Majora's Mask (to use a game in the same vein as DR) would not work without a central time limit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest "people are going to have a strong response to this" is at least interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Did it? How come Capcom washed off their hands off it and gave it to Blue Castle games then? Granted they did a good job but its still odd Capcom would just out source a popular franchise, especially a new one.

Dead Rising 2 was part of Keiji Inafune's attempt to bring Western developers onto Japanese IPs. They didn't 'wash their hands' of it, it was the same as a lot of their other projects.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GenericMartini posted:

I totally forgot that Inafune really had a hard on for Western Devs.

A hard-on for combined with a staggeringly awful track record. Dark Void, Bionic Commando, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z, Lost Planet 3, DmC, ReCore... the only success he had was DR2 honestly, but that's because he kept going back to the same wells.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ubisoft is surprisingly very responsible to a lot of things. the Assassin's Creed games are like an ongoing list of "you liked (X) but not (Y)? Check out our next game, son!" They're still in the same basic open world framework but I think people tend to overstate how much of that is "open world framework" that Ubisoft tends to be the most prolific devleoper in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do like Chuck better than Frank, yeah. I never got why people hated him so much.

Hell, one of the reasons I just don't enjoy OTR is that I think the Chuck joke is way too dark. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

My big dream feature for a Dead Rising game is that they rip off the Suikoden series and have it so survivors actually bring back specific benefits to your safe area: new features, extra resources, new rooms, minigames, etc.

I had no idea how badly I wanted this until just this moment.

I mean I guess there are a couple of zombie games like that but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit that the first time I encountered the convicts I just kited them into trees and then smashed their heads in so I never quite got in on the meme about how horrifying they were though I understand it in concept.

I do, however, get the meme about that goddamn song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel pretty good about skipping DR4 to be honest. At least 4 lead to re-releases of DR1, 2 and OTR!

How do things end for Frank in the dlc then?

Yeah, the only thing i'm really curious about with the DLC is how it turned-out plotwise.

• Locked thread