Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

devtesla posted:

lol what? ladies night is about drawing in women so you can then draw in even more men.

coincidentally, if the gender gap happy hour draws in women to draw in even more men they'll be paying full price for their drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

im manspreading right now but i'm just in a chair at home

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Didn't SA used to be extremely WOKE for a while and now that shits finally starting to die here except parts of D&D. i mean i got this red text for being right about this poo poo. so whatever.

There are people in D&D claiming that the entire forum has become alt-right with the banning of the Hillary toxxers

That statement does not yet uh, appear to match up with reality

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gosh the groundlings have ruined an entire generation of entertainment for me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Handed Missus posted:

https://twitter.com/joss/status/823726609588813824

lol

is this supposed to be woke art or something

an interesting take on loss.jpg etcetera etcetera

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

i guess so, but i just hate the fact that they're doing it at all, especially since they did a good job of not shoehorning in political grandstanding until the middle of last year

Hmm, what happened around a year ago?

http://boingboing.net/2016/01/28/the-onions-new-owner-is-hill.html

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

So basically old rich white men discovered that the most basic level of social justice doesn't actually hurt them and actually makes for additional avenues to apply leverage.

I wish I'd kept the forums quote where the guy expresses his gratitude for being introduced to privilege theory and the idea that he could be using his natural white privilege to much greater effect now that he was aware of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was the shared, massive and angry overreaction to the concept of harmless white hippies wearing dreads that convinced me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Wtf is Chapo Trap House? The new Alex Jones?

3 white thirty somethings talking about leftism lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

I'm not under 24 but I can't say an equality-themed ad has made me engage with a product line any further than saying "alright good for them." I do know that anti-equality stances by representatives of a brand will lead me to not support them, but very rarely has it gone the other way.

Because advertising is about making the viewer consciously and deliberately say "Yes, now I am going to buy your product."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

"Excuse me sir, what time is it?"
[looks at wrist] "It's 5:23."
"Cool, thanks."

vs.

"Excuse me sir, what time is it?"
[takes headphones partially of ears] "I'm sorry?"
"What time is it?"
"Oh. Uhhh..." [awkwardly gropes through pockets for phone, fumbles while bringing it out and then drops it, tries to catch it but then accidentally pulls on the headphone's cord which painfully rips them out of ears, their rubber buds rolling away into the street, and the phone drops anyways and hits the sidewalk with a sickening clatter] "uhh, uhh uhhh..."

"Look at your own loving phone dipshit"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't understand what the dress has to do with women?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Climate change isn't an individual problem, it's a problem that requires government intervention. Sure you can help a bit, but it is not up to the individual to "fix it." It's up to the government to force businesses/communites to enact policy that will fix it. The individuals must merely adapt.

Wild concept here but individuals vote so you kinda do need to reach out to them and convince them that they're responsible for fixing it

Tiny Timbs has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Mar 26, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Isn't the catchall term for men and women "latino"?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if it's stupid but it works then it isn't stupid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

call to action posted:

I had a discussion with a coworker yesterday, and I tried to explain why nobody at our company gives a poo poo and everyone hates their life and themselves, and he just didn't get why all these "slackers" don't "just work harder".

So then I told him, "I'm a brand. That's what I was told to be, a human brand, an entrepreneur, a hungry shark always searching, searching for the best deal because The World Doesn't Owe You. As an entrepreneur, I seek to maximize personal ROI, that is, I work on things that are going to make me money. Working harder here doesn't get me promoted, paid more, or even paid attention to, so why would I do it? Working harder by itself is a negative ROI activity."

He frowned and went back to his burrito. Now he understands Millennials.

Lol what a lovely millennial thing to say to somebody

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"The reason I didn't clean up the milk jug I spilled in the dairy section, POPS, is because I'm my own marketer and it doesn't fit my brand"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Help plan the company Christmas party? maybe you didn't know, but i'm part of the quid pro quo generation

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

as i said in another thread, the "socially conscious comedy" phase can't die soon enough

Punch up, but also punch down and out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't get it, why would their appearance have to change for them to be identified as women?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Tim Wise?

Is that the guy the Chapo gang ripped a new rear end in a top hat for being stupid as gently caress?

oh well if some 30 year old white dudes talked poo poo on the internet then i just don't know what to believe

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

we live in a world with a nearly infinite amount of pop culture, and it's easier to consume than it was 10 years ago. so why are the only pop culture comparisons in these vapid essays limited to Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Hamilton?

a college friend shared this on fb, and the only thing i don't like about it is "educate yourself." being a better person shouldn't be a homework assignment

I'm not sure a pure-race Mexican restaurant even exists in the US, every one I've known has been staffed by every Central and South American lineage under the sun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

it's apparently a mortal sin for me to do any mod actions on this forum so if an officially sanctioned c-spam hall monitor could probate the poo poo out of this guy that'd be nice

you're the guy who claimed that the North Korean government had nothing to do with its tourism program lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The crime is the flat, sunken in rear end in this promo photo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it must be stopped

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

got any sevens posted:

digirnios and freschetta are like the same quality but often go on sale for five bucks and you can bake em faster than waiting for delivery and dont have a driver to tip either

nah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

you can buy random sticker sheets by the foot now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the lactation rooms at MCO have a shelf for you to put a laptop on right next to an outlet so they're clearly intended to be private jackoff huts as well

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's actually really good that smoking is banned in restaurants and if anti-smoking is anti-working class then gently caress the poor, I guess

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smdh, just as bad as the people they fight

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the problem is that it requires the target of their protest to get what piece of pop culture they're referencing. if you go to a state capitol building cosplaying as a handmaiden, you're going to look stupid, which detracts from the message you're trying to convey. reproductive rights advocates have protested for decades without treating it like comiccon

as stupid as the anonymous masks are they at least get the point across. i haven't read the handmaiden's tale but from what these women are wearing to the protests I assume it's about selling honey sticks and baked goods out of a shack in pennsylvania?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Technically they have different fake sugar chemicals if you are the kind of person to sperg out over diet soda.

The equation for me goes "ASPARTAME TASTE BAD, SPLENDA TASTE GOOD". I think Diet Pepsi switched to splenda recently and it tastes way better. I think Coke Zero just had the same poo poo in it though???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So far I've seen celebrities, goons, every news site, thousands of verified twitter randos, and the dictionary take turns swinging at all these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who, but... aside from 5 or 6 twitter trolls (two of which had their tweet deleted faster than I could view the replies) and this guy, I haven't actually seen any of these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who.

Just like all the furious anger over the black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars that existed in a few twitter troll accounts and Stormfront

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dreddout posted:

#woke #brands: Capitalism, amirite??? Such a drag!

full communism meow

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it's entirely focused on jerking off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That premise sounds like it could go in two entirely different directions

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that guy went on to win an academy award

was he good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Extra Credits is the most puerile thing I've ever seen. They claim to be educational, informative, and entertaining and they never reach the goal of even being one of those things.

"Let's describe a concept, then show you a couple basic examples of that concept. Let's ask a bunch of questions that might have interesting answers if we actually wanted to dive into this concept beyond a surface level. Aren't those neat sounding questions? Sure would be great if we had answers for them! See ya next week!"

All while speeding up the main dude's voice because...I really don't know why.

are you sure you aren't talking about Radiolab

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Do you think the person who does Extra Credits could be trans or non-binary and speeds up their voice to conceal their identity? That's just a theory (A GAME THEORY!) but I figured they wanted to avoid harassment because it doesn't seem like anyone would favor the sped up voice as an aesthetic choice.

Is this the same as the idea behind identifying black people over the phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nermal's a softboy