Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VM2eLhvsSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's not even close to being over, just look at comedy central's current roster of shows. i'd imagine that most people are sick of "preach first, entertain second" shows, but they're not the ones making these shows or reviewing them. showrunners and writers for websites pat each other on the back over crap like Problematic. maybe i'm being too cynical but it feels like they're mutually boosting each other's egos

i don't see this phase of entertainment ending until either the entertainers get bored of it or the Daily Beasts of the world stop cheering them on, and i see no indication that this is coming to an end
it's not over but Comedy Central's ratings are falling, yeah? But that might also be structural due to Netflix and so on.

I dunno. But I think the zeitgeist has been shifting although I'm not sure where it's going to land. The liberal press was doing the usual pearl-clutching routine at some of Chappelle's jokes in his recent special but what can they do? It was a huge hit and he made $60 million -- and the guy defined Comedy Central a decade ago and still seems more relevant now than Trevor Noah. The recipe circa 2009-2015 isn't cooking anymore.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kinda wonder if social justice becoming this sort of fad/fashion statement is going to continue to cause more backlash? We could be seeing this sort of centrist, portraitist version of "social justice" dying off in the near future.

I kinda struggle to think how the :911: people will tolerate very much more of this. This isn't just a thought that rural whites will go "gently caress this poo poo", but I also wonder if we'll see various groups these people are advocating for get tired of the preachiness and lack of entertainment coming from these people. I imagine for most :911:'s they like the idea of shutting their brains off for a few hours, and not to be preached to on a nightly basis.
The Suey Park fiasco in 2014 might've been when it jumped the shark and when the momentum began shifting in favor of the backlash. I have a hard time imagining someone who had combined shallow social justice politics with a disposable fad/fashion statement as much as she did. I have no idea what Arthur Chu is up to these days. If anything they were replaced by their mirror-image in Milo Yiannopolous who then ran into his own troubles.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/863482098593693696

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what? it seems to me that these idiots are more "encouraging" to nuts like dozezal then not. idk the paragraph is just sociological buzzwords strung together.
just the idea of calling dolezal a "cockroach" is really disturbing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm more impressed by what'll be the ludicrous markup on some ripped-up jeans with a hankie in the back.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The LGBT-directed marketing by major companies does provoke an eyeroll, but it's one thing I've never been able to muster outrage about. I went to a pride parade in 2009-2010 or so and remember the endless line of floats from big companies, major banks, etc. and immediately thought that "wrap it up: the homophobes are boned."

Right then I knew the war was over and it was just a matter of time, and this was in Texas not long after the state's voters approved a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and less than a decade after the USSC declared the state's ban on sodomy unconstitutional.

:capitalism:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't care that much, it was just hilarious seeing these battalions of bank employees marching down the street and then ultimately crushing all opposition under their iron boots. I had no sympathy for their enemies.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

an actual dog posted:

we have a dude who thinks you can shock away the gay in the white house but since I can buy a rainbow bud light I guess the war is over
I don't give a crap what Pence thinks. It's what Pence does that matters. What is he doing?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Michel Martelly of Haiti aka Sweet Micky has the best taste in music of presidents and ex-presidents IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-k9DVPP2U

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z38VrjdE_I

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Nice name-avatar-post combo.
I need to change my av text to "A Modern and Progressive Burger Company"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I post a lot of reaction gifs but it's like... an art form, man. Posting random gifs of people going :aaa: is just lazy.

For example, the guy from Mad Men meditating while the world explodes behind him. That's a good gif.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I get that joke.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/958474789034872832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012