Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
debt slavery is bae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But in that case isn't it just a synonym for "I don't like that?" Video games were "problematic" for the wives of Gore and Clinton. But who cares? Sounds like a signal word to dismiss the speaker out of hand.

the gamergate weirdo is very upset that people use a word that hurt his feelings

raise hands all those who are surprised

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if only there was a politically correct term, for something you find more complex than a simple 'it's bad'

"complex-y", perhaps. or "issueful."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Woke fantasy novels

it ties in, dumbly enough.

half of Tolkien's expressed motivation was that he felt the English didn't have a culture, and so he was going to write them one

the cultural hegemon never thinks they have a culture, which ties in pretty neatly to why you see all the dumb alt-right poo poo. people desperately reaching for a cultural identity because they don't have a culture, they're just -normal-

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
grass, greener, etc

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

English culture is trash garbage so once again Tolkien was right

i mean, no argument here, but the poor isolated nerd was under the impression that it flat-out did not exist as opposed to existing and being a garbage fire of pedophilia, alcoholism, and worshipping inbred germans

useless trivia: the entire nation of Gondor is a shot at the Scots. there's a line when Our Heroes first meet Faramir, and he explains no, I'm not the prince, I'm just the steward's kid. "in lesser kingdoms, a Steward might take the throne after a few generations; in Gondor not ten times that number would suffice." wave hello, House Stuart of Scotland, origin High Steward #7 saying "yeah we are not going to sit around waiting for the House of Bruce to come back, I'm the first king of House Steward, raise hands all those who have a problem with this, this will expedite traitor hand-removal."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

an actual dog posted:

The Woke Videogame

god, the original deus ex did this whole thing so much better with the mech augs

welcome to the future, nerds. you sacrificed everything to become superhuman. it's been five years. you are now being phased out for the new model.

what a shame

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
perhaps the real woke brands were inside us all along

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Shut the gently caress up you lame dorks

please do not throw stones from my glass house, i like it here

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I could actually buy the idea of Ambien increasing the chance of someone blurting out bad thoughts they already believed but chose not to express, in the same way as alcohol or something.

this is actually -kind- of a thing. ambien is one of those things you're not supposed to take for too long or else the chances of Bad poo poo happening increase, particularly if mixed with alcohol. fun fact: the vast majority of drug abuse in the military is sleep aid abuse! booze is slightly harder to come by, but sleeping pills are easy, and the average soldier is nothing if not ingenious when it comes to finding a way to get hosed up.

thing is, getting PROPERLY hosed up on ambien can lead to a straight up disassociative fugue state, where you start treating the waking world like it's a particularly lovely dream, and start acting accordingly. the chuds are obviously grasping at straws here to justify defending Roseanne, but Ambien's shot back is at least a little classic woke brand behavior.

yes, racism is not a recorded side effect of ambien.

taking a gun, wandering off base and shooting up a building full of iraqi civilians, well, look, that only happened that dozen or so times

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that end of june is pride week

Good ol' Johnny "the steubenville whores had it coming" Aravosis

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

what that ad campaign is literally everywhere in the country and has been blanketing it for like ten years why does he say its in california only

because the only time he drives- well, let's be real, is driven- anywhere is when he's in california

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
someone trying to monetize a trolling strategy from reddit circa 2013 is some fantastic #branding

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i'm not sure if that's peak liberalism, but it's sure as hell peak something

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which one is it that gives black people their own species and powers

most of them

old world of darkness, among other delights, brought you "the vampire line we have coded black as hard as possible are a bunch of violent brutes who are permitted in Polite Society because they're reliable tools to do the bidding of their aristocratic european betters. also they're more vulnerable to freaking out and going on a murder spree when stressed," "there's a werewolf clan defined by the weakness they've failed to gently caress enough dogs," "there's a type of wizard based entirely on doing drugs giving you magic powers" and "literally all romani, knowing or unknowing, are in service to a malevolent vampire god who is addicted to doing crimes"

old world of darkness had the occasional neat idea. they were extremely few and extremely far between.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LGD posted:

can't think of any white wolf game that does that, peak racism oWoD racism was probably Kindred of the East (weird culturally insensitive mishmash of stuff, implies asian souls work differently than the rest of humanity in the context of the broader line) and WoD: Gypsies (everything)

in the defense of the world of darkness, it did give us the beauty of the Rokea, who had zero interplay with the rest of the gamelines because they'd actually been doing their jobs for the last couple thousand years with no issues

"why has there never been any dumb supernatural apocalypse bullshit in the oceans" is answered entirely satisfactorily, along with most other questions, by the most perfect phrase in the english language: "Sharkmen Attacks"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the two dumbest ideas in tabletop rpgdom being bad for the opposite reason from each other is legit interesting, imo.

the gypsies book makes for a pretty neat set of adventure hooks! if you didn't know that the romani were real people, and not some kind of loving orc put on the face of the planet to be murdered for loot, it could fit in pretty much any fantasy setting. it's a very Woke Brands brand of hideous: real-world horrors being thrown through the corporate meat grinder to produce some delicious current-events-flavored Content(tm)

by comparison the holocaust one treats its subject matter with the seriousness it is due. no secret vampire wizard satan bullshit behind Auschwitz or Birkenau. just pure man's inhumanity to man, and a great raw wound in our self-conception as civilised peoples that's still red and ragged today.

SO WHO WANTS TO PLAY PRETEND ABOUT IT, GANG!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't get this, tabletop rpgs have been reactionary edgelord poo poo since the beginning. Is it really just adding loving frog that made people realize this poo poo is not woke? It's a genre made by and for "WW2" and "civil war" historical artifact collectors.

white wolf's corpse is interesting in this regard because, bless them, they tried to push the limits in the way only a bunch of 90s kids could. where they were good, they went places that nobody else went and told very interesting stories about it. for example, the core concept of the gameline Exalted: "at any given time in this bronze-age-ish world, three hundred people who can reach Superman-level expertise in any given field of human achievement exist. the foundation of civilization is regularly finding and killing them before they have a chance to grow into their full powers. because before that was the case, there was not civilization. there were three hundred god-kings, and there were the inconveniently free-willed game pieces they used to play games with. you are one of the returning baby god-kings. the world wants you dead. surely, they are wrong to want this! you could help them against all the problems that beset them! IF ONLY YOU COULD MAKE THEM LISTEN TO YOU."

it's an excellent setup! as a game about being ludicrously powerful, players inevitably move towards doing awful things in the name of accomplishing their goals because they can, and there's almost noone who can stop them!

where they were bad, well, the phrase "competitive child gang-rape" appeared more than once.

where they were good they were very very good, and where they were bad they justifiably put people off the hobby forever.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
demography isn't destiny but culture is downstream from material conditions

and the material conditions for both us and the forthcoming generation suck nuts

this tends to produce more left-wingers. there's a path to power here, if we don't pull an Obama with this bullshit

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

An easy way to tell if someone understands what privilege actually is; is to ask if a homeless white guy has more privilege than Ben Carson.

the trump supporter has logged on to tell us that racism doesn't real

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

:psyduck: Saying a poor white guy has less privilege than a rich black guy is denying racism?

if only there was a word... for there being more than one system that you can get hosed over by...

that "intersected" in some way...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

you have come so far since cheerleading for the charlottesville nazis beating up black people

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

So racism means a poor white guy is more privileged than a rich black guy. I'm sure that privilege is comforting to the poor.

who's more privileged, a straight black man or a gay white woman

sorry, man. the #woke #brands are coming from inside your head

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
we will never die, thanks to ozy dot com

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Nike is just cashing in on the culture war so a bunch of rich white libs will buy Nike to prove how Woke they are

love too be a pawn in a civil war between factions of capital

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah, she is a white neoliberal white feminist type. though, they did hint at dumbledore being gay in the last few books. id have to read them again. i honestly hate harry potter now mostly because of internet libs who use it as a weird bad political spring board or analogies. if it were teenagers, id be ok with it, but its always late 20s, 30 year olds doing it.

they read one book when they were young adults, and have consumed no popular culture besides maybe game of thrones since then

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
milking the asian lady, noted thing that is not at all weird

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

what's the least weird race to milk

well according to my studi- wait, no, i'm not falling for that one again

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Farrier Theaks posted:

monitized wokeness is my favorite part of the late 2010s

roxane gay needs a nike contract

the death of advertising is going weird places

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Given Venom's clear pro-poly message, the symbiotes should've only responded to xe/xer pronouns and get very pissed if they weren't.

this is particularly entertaining because venom does have a pronoun thing, and it's that Venom gets pissed when not referred to in the plural

eddie because eddie needs it to be clear that it's not HIM doing this poo poo, no, it's the symbiote, and the symbiote because it really likes Eddie and wants him to feel like he's more a part of what they do.

(the chapo guys talking about how Venom is a facebook movie are much, much righter than they know, the few decent venom stories are all about Eddie and the symbiote as a barely-even-subtext story about toxic relationships and addiction.)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

people are going to get tired of this poo poo at some point, the over-the-top articles declaring their importance aren't going to get as many clicks, and entertainment will evolve in kind. that's what i keep telling myself, but this didn't start under trump and it's not going to end after he's gone

the larger problem is the slow death of legacy media

woke branding is one of the only ways anyone has been able to come up with to get people thirty and younger to exchange money for media product, and the number of investors content to put their money in a product whose growth prospects are minimal is somewhere in the low zero range.

the only way you will see an evolution is if something else gets them to start paying.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

R. Dieovich posted:

y'all mind if i...

institute a universal productivity wage and ubi indexed to it??????

god, can you imagine how easy it must have been to be a marketing exec in the 90s

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

so our generation likes pandering bullshit even if it's as subtle as being smacked in the face with a hammer. if that isn't an indictment against the "millennials are the most progressive generation" line, idk what is

look on the bright side, blatantly pandering to us involves a lot less pretending Patrick Bateman was an icon to aspire to than our predecessors

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

got any sevens posted:

didnt one british show have a time traveller be the sniper on the grassy knoll

chappelle's show shouldve been him shooting slaveowners all day

it was also something gene roddenberry had wanted to make a star trek episode out of for years. the second gunman was going to turn out to be spock.

they forcibly dragged the script away from him and rewrote the hell out of it, so that it was just a story about how you had to kill a cute lady pacifist in order to save the world from hitler, but that only shut him up for a little bit. evidently he kept on proposing they shoot that episode the way he wanted to shoot it until the day he died.

woke branding has come a ways since the sixties

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

that's astonishingly tone deaf

look on the bright side, when someone makes a superhero story where Adjective Noun ends up being tangentially responsible for the death of Heather Heyer, you will know there's precedent

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

R. Dieovich posted:

jfk sucked big time but how do you not see the terrible optics of doing that only a couple years after it happened

be gene roddenberry, basically

he's an excellent study in early wokeness, tbf. guy was absolutely trying his best to be an advocate for progressive causes, but being a white guy in a position of power in hollywood in the 1960s meant all those good impulses were being filtered through some real galaxy brain poo poo before they came out.

no, really, it'll be great for the nation if we can pretend Leonard Nimoy is the reason we'll never have any closure on JFK

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also his brain had most of it's energy devoted to thinking about boning

i did say white guy in position of power in hollywood during the 1960s, yes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Waves and waves of cum exploding out of me (in a comic Irish accent)

on tonight's episode of Deep Space Nine, Chief O'Brian gets trapped in yet another bizarre alien torture plot. i'll be real with you we've started running out of ideas for them at this point.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

it might fit better in the failing new york times thread, but it's still hilariously stupid #brand engagement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
wojtek absolutely won world war two, even if the humans did most of the work