Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

us politics has never been better but i feel like we might be building up a resistance to insane conservative politicians, to get the same high in 2020 we're going to need some real awesome candidates, like maybe a for-real white nationalist with a big swastika on his forehead, running against sarah palin after she's been possessed by the ghost of mussolini, and herman cain will show up again because he's pretty cool

we do not deserve Herman Cain, he's too good for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Quick someone photoshop him into a pokemon "ash" hat. I knew he was a barely closeted pokemon fan.

...you know he actually quoted the Pokemon movie in a speech, right?

Cain's run was surreal

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
If anyone cares, 538 no longer shows a narrow lead for Trump in any of their polls, and in Polls Plus and Now he's showing >60% for Hillary.

Another good poll or two for Clinton and she should be back in the 70% range. Which would make me feel a lot better.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Oxxidation posted:

It's still a bounce, so things are going to normalize again over the next few weeks. But if Hillary can maintain positive visibility while Trump keeps screaming at war widows and declaring war on Constantinople, the gap should hold.

It is a bounce, but it's a surprisingly large one since it should, in theory, have been limited by the opposition's bounce. I think she'll keep a few points of it for a while.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Geostomp posted:

I want to know just what it would take for them to realize Trump is not "the lesser of two evils" or realize that "worship sessions" for a man who is the embodiment of multiple classical Deadly Sins might not be a good thing. Is hating gay people, Muslims, or immigrants the only "morality" they think matters?
For these people, their religion functions more like an ethnic identity than it does an actual moral framework.

"Christian" is who they are as a personal identity, not really a system they follow. While technically they could leave their religion, being Christian is, to them, more like the cultural identity of being American or Southern or Blue Collar. So the rules aren't actually important, it's more about declaring yourself as part of a group and certain other groups as being "other".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

computer parts posted:

Yeah, that's how most religious people operate.

Increasingly that's how atheists are defining themselves too.

Oh yeah, I wasn't really trying to drop exciting new truths, more saying it's just something to remember.

I wonder what percentage of evangelicals aren't really cognizant of the fact that poor African-Americans are pretty religious, simply because they mentally model them as "other" and they themselves are religious.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

sonatinas posted:

Can someone explain to me why Russia is the new boogeyman now? I know that they have some political clout with veto power on the security council and there are concerns about hacking but it seems like it's going to be Red Dawn to these people any second now.

...they recently invaded a sovereign nation and claimed part of it as their own?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

A Winner is Jew posted:

No. Most people don't want another W in the office.
It's ridiculous that this even needs to be said because Trump obviously outstrips W for awfulness by several orders of magnitude.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zoux posted:

Wouldn't the fact that more people say Trump is better on economics but more people saying they're voting for the other person go more to the other point.

It's a good demonstration that people have literally no idea what economics is.

Trade Chat Troll posted:

I didn't follow the thread at the time, what became of the whole "Trump leaks classified information" story?

It wasn't true.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gregday posted:

The wind killing all our birds is the worst part about solar.

duh, I've heard about solar winds before

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/759831235900248064

Surprisingly, no Rand. Von Mises and Hayek though.

It's time for everyone's friendly reminder that Von Mises believed that observational data couldn't counter his theories, they were such pure underlying truths of the universe

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kobayashi posted:

Words can't express how much I want to see Trump and his idiotic true believer followers annihilated in a 50-state sweep. I want Democrats at all levels to run up the score so obscenely that Hillary rides into office with both houses of Congress at her back. I want her to spend mid-September onward as shadow president, ensuring the smoothest transition of administrations in modern history. I want her to ram through every goddamn milquetoast proposal the Democratic party can muster ahead of 2018. I want her to rule over with ruthless technocratic competence, and for 2016 to go down in history as the price old, white idiots pay for flying too close to the idiot sun. What a time to be alive.

Get a load of this guy! He wants the political party that most aligns with his beliefs to win A LOT

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Doctor Butts posted:

Whoop de doo. GOP may turn on Trump. That will do nothing except embolden Trump supporters since it adds to his Anti-Establishment credentials.

His supporters are not a large enough demographic to win an election. They need moderates to win.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Charlz Guybon posted:

Her being ignorant, doesn't mean Trump also wasn't ignorant.

Consider that he hired her

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kilroy posted:

I went to the atom bomb museum in Hiroshima this afternoon. It's pretty gut-wrenching. Well that's my atom bomb story.

thank you for your story

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Roflan posted:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/03/georgia-republican-says-he-might-withhold-electoral-college-vote-from-donald-trump/

A member of the Georgia electoral college saying he may not vote for trump if he wins the state. :aaa:

no no no, that's also very bad.

The electoral college has enough problems without the electorate worrying if they'll follow the people's votes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do agree that optics-wise it looks bad, especially if you want to avoid the spectre of an illegitimate election.
Especially with the current chants of "THEY DONT CARE ABOUT WHO YOU VOTE FOR ANYWAY", the last thing we need is members of the college doing whatever the hell they want

Given that some people think the entire Dem Primary was literally a fix.

edit: thanks both of you for the info that previous electors had been faithless before. I didn't know that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Clinton currently sitting at 85% on the NowCast.

Nate Silver drew one hell of a fish!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

emdash posted:

Today's polls so far. :eyepop:

The NowCast has Hillary taking 360 EVs lol

If the trend continues, we're talking about a complete and total stomp.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bowser posted:

How long has the GOP base been so angry? For all the Trump hate I see from liberals there are very few calls to imprison or hang him.

A big part of it is not having the presidency - there was a lot of similar talk from the fringe left (well, not so much by elected officials...) during the Bush years targeting Bush, especially if you go back and watch footage of the antiwar rallies (which nearly stopped as soon as Obama was elected, because they weren't functionally antiwar rallies, they were antiBush rallies).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Antti posted:

Talk radio and the Clinton presidency (i.e. the GOP losing power) can be called the next phase, I suppose.
Wasn't the Clinton presidency the first time that the Republicans took congress by storm? I thought branch control was very similar under Obama and Clinton.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I've never been persuaded by the argument that it's better to keep American jobs than it is to give Mexicans jobs.

Yes, the jobs they get are lower paid and have less worker rights than American equivalents, but the improvement of the Mexican worker's life against the harm to the American worker's life seems, to me, to overwhelmingly cause a net good.

(there are of course exceptions if the company is being radically unethical)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

If they didn't need NAFTA then why was it lobbied for? Why did the GOP push it so hard?
There is nothing resembling logic in this question, unless you literally think NAFTA's purpose was to offshore jobs

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

straight up brolic posted:

it also is a scenario in which the concept of trickle down economics may actually be valuable because of diminishing returns to quality of life after a certain point.

Yeah, that's a big part of it. If we took somebody's yearly salary from $5,000 a year to $10,000 a year VS a person in the US had to sell their house because they lost a job, our instinct is to think how horrible it is that the person lost their house. But the person who went from "crushing poverty" to "merely poverty" has had his life radically transformed, whereas it is sad that a person lost their house but their day-to-day living might be nearly identical.

I'm obviously just making numbers up off the top of my head, so don't take this as a real example.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, there is no helping this discussion. I just find it weird that the same four or five posters march lockstep with eachother on certain points and all show up in certain discussions like this to shout down, hard, anyone against their pet policies or people. I don't care about getting dogpiled but I'd at least like some variety.

Certain posters are stupid self-congratulatory idiots and consistently the worst poster in the thread, also.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

Well, you're one of the group I was calling out. So...

I'm completely aware of that, but it doesn't make you in any way, shape, or form not consistently one of the worst posters in this thread. Contribute something, anything of value to any discussion that isn't masturbatory and people will stop dogpiling you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axeil posted:

Also, can we talk for a bit about how mindblowing it is that we are on the cusp of a trade agreement with Vietnam!? 40 years ago we were bombing the crap out of each other and now we're at the point we're negotiating free trade agreements.
Wait until you hear about Japan!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axeil posted:

Touche.

The point is, I really like global trade (in addition to the comparative advantage bit), because it also helps us not blow each other up. If old enemies can become, if not quite friends, than at least cooperatives in a generation, it helps prove how trade can keep the world a safer place.

I was being a bit dickish - it is actually super cool. I'm super excited about improved relations with Cuba, too.

Trade-as-anti-war is great, too.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Also, here's a fun one - if you scroll down on the NowCast:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now

There are TEN states that don't have a Democratic victory within margin of error - and that's it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
According to Trump, had Bernie gone in hard on the E-mails, he would have won the primary.

Source: just said it

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

Nah, this can't be true. It's bad and doesn't work!

...is your proposal that a law was passed in the United States, therefore it is a good law?

Doctor Butts posted:

Please Trump. Say something dumb again soon.
His speech in Portland was very uninteresting.

He said he'd fix everything, and railed on E-mails for a while. Said that Tim Kaine isn't popular in Virginia and is bad, but Mike Pence is very good.

He seems exhausted.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

I got defensive because the typical group of posters were saying things just like the bolded, which I never said.

Also, I've posted multiple times that I was never really making a firm argument against the TPP, just that I can see why people are against it.

Like I said, certain posters are upset that someone is challenging them. It's happened before with Bernie vs. Hillary derails. A certain group of posters gets pissy and hammers on people until they go away. I'm not trying to get any sympathy; just stating the facts.

In order to lose an argument you actually have to be trying to make some kind of point. You can't really win an argument when both sides aren't arguing in good faith, either.

I still sure would like to see someone post some sources that NAFTA didn't lead to the death of American manufacturing and a loss of jobs.

All you're doing is talking about yourself constantly, please shut up

90% of this has been posting about posting

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TVarmy posted:

There has to be some kind of limit in polls-only and polls-plus forecasts on FiveThirtyEight, right? Because this far out, there's still a big number of unknowns and possibilities. Like those charts on weather that shows a cone of where a hurricane could go, and a dark red cone of where it's most likely to go. Has Nate Silver ever said if there's a floor for this? Because as much as I'd bet for Clinton at this point, I admit there's still strange-rear end futures where she could lose. But it'd call for a Trump Pivot that keeps his base, Clinton loving up on unprecedented levels, and a series of horrible tragedies Trump could safely spin in his favor. I'm saying, we have to be near that floor, and we're considering the bit of the yellow cone where Hurricane Donny does a 180 degree turn and starts raining blood instead of water.

Those external variables are the reason it's not basically at 100% right now.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SquadronROE posted:

He is literally going to find a way to weasel out of the debates, or send Pence to debate Clinton. He's already a maverick and doesn't Play By Their Rules, so this won't result in anything bad happening to him.

...As Trump rapidly loses like 15 points in the polls, are we still harping on "NOTHING TOUCHES HIM"?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love when liberals suddenly come out in favor of brutal punishments for people they dislike, it's cute. Way to stand by your principles.

Is this a joke or can you not read?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

! Trump's up .2 from where he was a few hours ago!
:arzy:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

As if it needed to be any more obvious that his not guilty verdict was wrong and he likely did escalate the situation.

Seems to me this lends more credence to the idea of Martin jumping him, since he's clearly the type of rear end in a top hat you punch in the jaw at first opportunity

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

I also saw the Soul Plane. African-American businesses great to see! #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Speaking of Trump's Taco Tweet...

I've seen multiple instances from Conservatives on Facebook saying "See, the Democrats are the REAL RACISTS" because of the E-mail where they used the phrase "taco bowl engagement" to mock Trump.

It's super annoying because it's actually fairly complex to explain why they weren't racist, Trump was.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Pleasing Shape posted:

They were mocking this on Chris Hayes last night. It's from a rally where she says "we aren't going to raise taxes on the middle class." Due to her accent "aren't" comes out like "ARnt" and the Trump ad subtitles it "are." The immediately preceding line is about making the tax rules for the middle class fairer, plus the fact that the crowd loving cheers makes it one of the most deceptive ads I have ever seen.

For anyone who wants to see the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ua13_gYQn0

I have to admit that I heard "are", but my assumption is that she meant to say something other than "upper class", because the whole content of what she said before hand was the exact opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

To continue this weeks' theme, everyone should watch, laugh at, and remember Obama dunking on Trump, at the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner for his birtherism and bullshit opinions, remembering that this was also when we got Osama. :patriot:

There's a theory that it was at that very dinner that "candidate Trump" was born.

Which would have previously horrified me, but considering how bad he's tanking I'm OK with.

• Locked thread