Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

What if my mom thinks Hillary is shifty but hasn't voted in years?

Can I still have a mom? I really like her.

Tell her she better shift her rear end off the couch and vote for Hillary anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If Trump wins it'll stop when he finally clamps down on Internet access. So like a week or two after the elections.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

(Presidents don't take power immediately after the election. They take power in late January, and are sworn in on my birthday. Which is just a coincidence, probably.)

Since when has Trump followed the rules?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Eh, electors have done it before. It's how the Libertarians got their only EC vote in history.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

i am the bird posted:

Ajamu Baraka. He's a human rights activist and policy dude whose agenda is mostly anti-imperialism. But, for the fun stuff, he thinks Malaysian 17 was a false flag and that the brutality of Al-Assad is western narrative

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06/04/the-syrian-elections/

People like that aren't anti-imperialist, they're anti-American imperialism. They're totally willing to support imperialism as long as it's an anti-American power. I loving hate it, it undermines the whole movement.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm legitimately not seeing it, someone want to point it out? The only things I see on stage are the American flag and Florida state flag next to each other, where is it in relation to those?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

Is the money drop video the same as the top secret video he was going around talking about that all of his staff was just like 'that didn't happen what are you talking about'

It was the video of the prisoners getting off the plane in Geneva, he was either an idiot and didn't realize what it was or was straight up lying and hoping he wouldn't get called on it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Matenwa fundraising was just a normal fundraiser, the 5 figures to permaban someone was to Japanese tsunami relief. Also, the goon funding to Matenwa was enough for them to get their publishing branch off the ground which won them something like a 6+ figure grant and a major international education award.

EDIT:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

actually the body armor fundraiser came first but that had admin support and organization, not just a bunch of idiots throwing money at a random thing

Matenwa was mod/admin supported and organized too, but you're right that the body armor came first. There was also that whole Hurricane Katrina/PayPal debacle.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 5, 2016

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Considering the dude defended the hell out of domestic surveillance online when a Republican was in office and then 180d to it being evil and needing to be leaked once a Democrat came into office, it's not exactly a stretch to accuse him of using his position to play politics. Also, RT is straight up the Russian equivalent of Fars or KCNA.

EDIT:

BAWRLIN posted:

I am in southern Missouri and have been goddamn buried in Jill Stein ads.

Wow, living in Missouri and having to see Jill Stein ads, that's a double whammy of terrible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What good intentions? As I've pointed out before, he was perfectly comfortable defending the Bush administration doing the same poo poo and spewing your standard right wing bullshit and when the party in charge switched to a slightly more left wing one, suddenly he cared. It's incredibly clear that he was a dumbass who was trying to damage the Democrats with the leaks and underestimated the consequences. So he ended up doing the right thing (mostly) for the wrong reasons.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Slate Action posted:

An elector in Georgia hinted last week that he would defect and he basically got frog marched out of the office and had to resign immediately.

So don't hint at it before hand like an idiot.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have a good feeling that Duckworth will beat Kirk in IL, but it might not be that much of a help because Kirk is pretty consistently the only R willing to cross the aisle on things like gun control, healthcare and appointments. One of the most difficult things about retaking the House will be seats where there are no D challengers. In my district our current R rep, the shitacular Adam Kinzinger, is running completely unopposed. If the Dems don't grow some balls and run someone next election and I'm still living here, I've considered just running myself as an independent just so people have someone else to vote for.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Grouchio posted:

So what's the deal with Gary Johnson and those 40% youth polls at Marrist University?

He's good at hiding all his horrifyingly terrible positions behind "I would decriminalize weed on a federal level*". That's it.

*but still allow individual states to ban it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't know NC law specifically, but I would assume no, they're generally not even legal because you could end up hitting some random bystander on accident.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, it really just sounds like they're the type of people who are likely to be on the State Department's radar anyways. Would anyone be batting an eye at the State Department wanting to talk to a famous Lebanese businessman about a situation in Lebanon if he hadn't donated to the Foundation?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
American Samoa has been so hosed over by lack of representation that they probably deserve to hit a bit above their weight class for a while if they eventually get it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chamberk posted:

I mean, he could have meant that Obama's policies indirectly led to ISIS.

Which still wouldn't be true because it predates Obama's presidency as just the Islamic State in Iraq, which was created in 2006 by the merger of the core group Jama'at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad(founded in 1999) and some other al-Qaeda affiliates in Iraq.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Holy poo poo I'm up to speed now.

If you're already up to speed, what kind of drugs will you be using by the end of the election?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
3 of my grandparents died of complications from smoking. The fourth one didn't smoke. The reason such a huge proportion of smokers die from smoking related causes is because it's addictive and it's loving terrible for you, not some government conspiracy to fudge the numbers.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Has this been brought up yet?

quote:

WBTV’s Nick Ochsner posted the first page of Bordini’s complaint on Twitter. The incident took place in Phillip’s Jeep in February of this year, reportedly, when Phillip “produced a pistol, put his right index finger on the trigger, and drove the barrel into Vincent’s knee cap.”

Bordini went straight to campaign officials, the suit says, speaking first to the Trump campaign’s regional director of western North Carolina. “The Director told Vincent that he, too, had been brandished upon by Phillip,” the lawsuit says. “He was terrified.”

According to Ochsner, “campaign leadership, including then-camp mngr Lewandowski, refused to act.”

Bordini says he spoke with Lewandowski on the phone in March about the incidents, including the fact that Phillip had threatened at least two other staffers at gunpoint.

:psyduck:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I show lefties who are considering Johnson as a protest vote all kinds of poo poo illustrating how terrible he is, but right wingers I just leave alone.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've been listening to that Obama playlist. The few songs I haven't heard before like Me Gustas Tu are pretty good, in addition to all the great classics I already knew, but man, that lovely Edward Sharpe song really breaks up an otherwise good playlist. I managed to forget about it, thanks for ruining that Obama.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which one? They're not a band with one lovely song.

Home.

"Alabama, Arkansas,
I do love my Ma and Pa
Not the way that I do love you"

Jesus, those lyrics.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

prom candy posted:

If Donald Trump can get this close to the presidency what's realistically stopping Guy Fieri?

He'd have to do something other than just shovel food into his face for once.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No, read the whole article. He's your standard lost cause "Lincoln was in the wrong for invading the Confederacy because they asserted their states rights!" dipshit. He would be totally fine with slavery still existing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OddObserver posted:

I feel I should point out that this doesn't actually connect Manafort to Russia. It's quite a bit more likely that the money was basically stolen from the Ukrainian people rather than paid for by Kremlin.
The Yanukovich regime was very much about personal enrichment, foreign policy aspects were very much secondary.

Read the article, he is actually connected to deals with Putin's inner circle of oligarchs by it.

quote:

Among the hundreds of murky transactions these companies engaged in was an $18 million deal to sell Ukrainian cable television assets to a partnership put together by Mr. Manafort and a Russian oligarch, Oleg Deripaska, a close ally of President Vladimir V. Putin.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OddObserver posted:

(Also, aren't some of these, uhm, fine publications, at least somewhat anti-Trump?)

What better way to identify those who aren't ideologically pure enough?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's "all of the above" because each answer is two valid ways to participate in democracy, which you would know if you SPOKE ENGLISH, you filthy ISIS refugee shitstain.

I'm sorry, the Trump Test only accepts the word "rapefugee", you've failed.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Obligatory Phil Ochs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fgB0m_y2I

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Uh, Delta Blues are good and cool. Other than that? Um, well, I

poo poo.

Yeah, but then they all moved up to Chicago and made better blues there.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Phone posted:

Didn't Trump run an attack on Hillary last week saying that she's actually super secret bffs with Putin? Like on the same weekend that his daughter was hanging out with Putin's wife?

Putin's rumored girlfriend, but otherwise yeah.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The money was already legally Iran's due to the international tribunal on the fallout of US-Iran relations caused by the overthrow of the Shah, correct? I don't think you can really count giving Iran money that is already theirs from a legal and moral sense a "ransom" even if we did use the timing of the payout as leverage to get the prisoners released. If anything, Iran releasing the prisoners was ransom for the money.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Petr posted:

LOL what a loving idiot, he thought people calling Hillary a bitch was a bad thing, and that shaming her about her husband's affair was gross. Stupid pearl-clutching libs, love it or leave it!

I think the criticism is that he was naive enough to think that's new and exclusive to Trump rallies and not the GOP status quo for the past few decades.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I legitimately can't wait to see what wet fart of a "scandal" Julian Assange thinks is going to sink Clinton. Like, maybe he finally does have something serious and damaging, but the DNC leak basically turned up nothing at all substantial and Assange still acted like it was the perfect smoking gun.

There are still plenty of vocal Bernie or Busters who think it was the perfect smoking gun too, making GBS threads up the comment sections of any left wing page. I'm pretty sure Assange could literally fart on camera and get people calling it the evidence that will take $hillary down.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
When older people ask my parents why they named me Calvin they say Calvin Coolidge, but they actually named me after Calvin and Hobbes. My parents are cool.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
We're all the Phantasy Star III generation.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I always thought that a lot of the weirder bits of the whole caste system (and the enforcing of it) may have come about during the East India Company/ the Raj time period?

I mean I think I remember reading somewhere that Sati (that whole thing of setting yourself on fire when your husband dies) increased after the british banned it as people were forcing others to defend the cultural idea.

I'm not sure if the enforcing of it increased during that time period, but colorism in Indian society and the caste system long predates the Raj period. IIRC(it's not my area of specialty) it likely started with Iranian migrations into India. Since they brought the Vedic religion with them, they were typically the members of the higher castes and therefore lighter skin was associated with higher caste. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

Wasn't the pivot about black support?

The problem the Trump campaign has is that they're incapable of believing that their messaging is the problem. They think that any black person who is offended by his campaign needs to change their thinking, rather than the campaign changing to suit the wants and needs of black voters.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's LARPing that's more socially acceptable.

It's also really just like a Virginia and surrounding areas thing. I never heard about any in Texas although I'm sure someone's done it and/or doing it right now.

I live in Illinois and my town(first in the nation to send a company of volunteers for the Union Army after Ft Sumter :911:) does a reenactment of a Union battle camp with professional reenactors every year as an educational thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Boon posted:

Bad analogy. If the manufacturer goes out of business your car still holds value, and in some cases, may appreciate in value. Not the case with stock.

It's not a perfect analogy, but it's not meant to be since it's just explaining one aspect of stocks.

• Locked thread