Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theflyingorc posted:

...you know he actually quoted the Pokemon movie in a speech, right?

Cain's run was surreal
That and Samantha Bee's show apparently bought his tour bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now Corey Lewandowski is on CNN claiming that 'the Khans' son wouldn't have died had Trump been president at that time'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's good though, the longer this ridiculous fight stays in the media consciousness the worse it is for Trump

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Look, as long as I get a video of Trump looking at the camera and then throwing a big rock in a lake I'm good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't know why anyone even brings up campaign money in this election. It clearly didn't make a difference in the primary.
Somewhere Jeb sighs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The polling makes it pretty clear that Johnson is going to pull a not insignificant number of people who would normally vote GOP but can't do it for Trump. This is good for Hillary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's clearly been trying to have it both ways and it's not working.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The author, while personally libertarian, has been pretty much single-mindedly writing about police abuse, corruption, and overuse for over a decade, including primary reporting on discrediting a couple of forensic scientists used in countless state prosecutions, leading up to getting a black man who shot and killed a cop during a no-knock raid off death row.
He's good but I really wish he would stop linking/retweeting Reason Magazine articles like they know what the hell they are talking about

(for those not aware Reason Magazine is the official LOLbertarian rag of choice)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Republicans are in a tough spot. If things got bad enough they could come out and say they're not going to defend Trump anymore and instead they'll focus on congressional and states races. The thing is they kind of have to cling to the possibility of winning the presidency, because losing that almost certainly means losing the Supreme Court.

My feelings of schadenfreude are immense.
They're stuck with him now. They had the chance earlier in the spring to stop him at the convention, but they never found a strategy and now they're screwed, to the hilarity of everyone watching them flail around as a party.

When was the last time you had Republican politicians openly saying they will vote for/campaign for their party's opponent in a presidential race? Certainly not in my lifetime.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right Wing Twitter is freaking out about this because the WSJ wrote some article claiming that it was a hostage pay off.

Meanwhile there is substantial evidence that Reagan secretly negotiated with the Iranians in order to make sure the American hostages from the Embassy weren't freed until after the election in 1980 so he would win.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Wait, they think it is payback for the 1979 coup hostages?
No, I'm just saying that they are accusing Obama of paying ransom money when Reagan actually did much worse than that before. Plus this story is garbage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trump's ego will never allow him to quit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bowser posted:

How long has the GOP base been so angry? For all the Trump hate I see from liberals there are very few calls to imprison or hang him.
Since 1964

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This coming from the same guy who still claims he saw a (non-existent) video of Muslims celebrating after 9/11 in New Jersey.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I watched the President's press conference yesterday and he explained it pretty simply. Due to sanctions, we do not have a banking relationship with Iran in any way, and that makes wiring funds or sending a check impossible. So cash was the only option.
No, it was treason you see!

(Looks the other way while their favorite President commits an impeachable offense because he's folksy Reagan)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, I'm sure Snowden looks at the things the government did with someone like Chelsea Manning and things 'oh yes, I totally want that'.

Remember that our government forced the Ecuadorian president's plane to land because they believed he was on it. You don't think he wouldn't have ended up in a Supermax had they been able to catch him?

I'm also just going to remind people that he tried to go to South America but got stranded in Russia when they revoked his passport.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The Firearms Policy Coalition is funding a lawsuit against California Legislative Counsel Diane Boyer-Vine claiming that their first amendment right to free speech was violated when Boyer-Vine's office notified WordPress that a post containing the home addresses of California state senators and Assembly members violated state law which prohibits the publication of such.

'legisexuals'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bushiz posted:

Let's Go To The List!
Amazing that this man gets to keep his law license but others have been disbarred for much less.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/763007182082306048

He raised 80m last month and so far we have no idea what he's spending it on. It isn't campaign infrastructure.
I thought it turned out that the figure they put out was total Republican Party donations, most of which was not going to the Trump campaign.

Regardless that's pretty unprecedented

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just a heads up, but it won't shock me if some right wingers start playing up this dumb story here in Orlando about how the father of the Pulse nightclub shooter attended a Clinton rally yesterday in Kissimmee. Even though he came out immediately and condemned his son when the shooting happened.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good to know that this guy gets to become the 21st century Vince Foster

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well I will say that I thought for sure Trump would make an offhand misogynistic slur before he did this...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remember when Trump's campaign was touting his big economic speech yesterday? Yeah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I can honestly see Trump not meaning to call for judges or Hillary to be assassinated, but after everything else he has said the media will not let that pass as such.
Remember that he specifically says "well if Hillary wins in November and gets to appoint her judges", which blows a hole in the Trump camp explanation that ''oh, he was just saying that gun owners need to go vote for him". He's clearly saying that if Clinton wins extrajudicial methods will be needed to ensure she can't appoint judges who will take your guns.

I would actually feel bad for Manafort today if he wasn't a worse scumbag than Trump in some respects

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really hope the DoJ forces reform on BPD, because Jesus Christ the Wire was a documentary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hold on, I'm almost there.....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's very very likely to pass.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trump's campaign opened an office across the street from the Pulse nightclub, which I find gross, especially being that I live here.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/764280992068665345

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was WW3, not the Eugenics Wars, get it right nerds

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

iospace posted:

Unskewers are likely to blame. I'm not a pollster, so I don't know if not being a registered voter automatically excludes you from a LV poll (even though you say you'll likely vote this election), but the thing is this:

1. if Obama was /so hated/ by America for ruining it after 08, how come we didn't see a massive flood of new voters in 2012 to vote him out?
2. Hispanics and Muslims are registering for the first time in droves because Trump pissed them off.
The media isn't covering much of the reality that Trump has zero campaign infrastructure anywhere. That's going to be a massive disadvantage come November. Say what you will about Romney's messed up analytics and terrible internal polls, but he at least had a semblance of a ground game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Trump also had massive unfavourables going into all this. After a solid half a year of horrible poo poo that would have been gaffes outside of the Republican primary and election gaffes, no one is going to suddenly decide they like Trump if he calms down and manages to stay on his repugnant as gently caress message just because he manages to not poo poo himself in process of articulating it.

Like Charlie Sheen hasn't gone on a manic bender in awhile, has anyone began to think of him as calm and stable just because he isn't going on talk shows talking about how hard he's winning or how much crack he used to smoke anymore?
Maybe, but now that we're in actual election season more people are paying attention to this stuff than before

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

I suspect a lot of non-Americans from countries with UHC have a hard time understanding how Americans put up with their crappy health care system. I honestly get the politics behind the US system and understand why reform is so hard. However I have to admit to an irrational instinct to personally blame Americans for failing to implement UHC, like are you guys too stupid or something? A bunch of total backwater nations managed to implement single-payer, you can't seriously claim it's impossible in the vaunted US of A etc etc.

Re the Aetna thing, I honestly thought Obamacare was a major win for the insurance industry. Mandating everyone buy private health insurance and suppressing any sort of public option seemed like an insurance company CEO fever dream. I was completely wrong, they can't even keep up the pretense of the private sector being able to provide health insurance for the entire population. The insurers leaving the exchanges are all but formally announcing they only want to insure people who don't have any real health issues and let the government deal with the rest.
I'm just hoping that this leads to an actual public option, but I tend to doubt it. The main problem I had with Obamacare was exactly this: that it was a half-measure at best. Granted, going from our current system straight to single-payer would be messy, but considering how the right-wing has acted like Obamacare is basically that anyway, that's what they should have done. People like Max Baucus in the Senate ensured that there would be no public option though, since they were buddies with the healthcare industry.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

Going out on a limb here, but I think he's speaking to a room full of white people.
We have a winner!

https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/765737877254836224

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

He avoided any major gaffes or gently caress-ups, but he also failed to do anything to dig himself out of the massive hole he's already created for himself.

And he's only got 83 days to go...
It's really less than that, as the NYT pointed out, because absentee and early voting starts in 6 weeks in some places

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

greatn posted:

Trump doesn't have any psychoses that are diagnosable by watching him on tv and any doctor who would claim otherwise would be a quack. Any conditions he has would only be able to be diagnosed in person by a professional with an extended interview/examination.
I'm sure someone can pay Bill Frist to do it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Geostomp posted:

I wonder what future comedy sketches could possibly do for this election? Trump and Friends are so far beyond the pale that you cannot exaggerate their flaws any further.
Stewart and Colbert picked a good time to quit their old jobs, because even their writing teams couldn't come up with anything close to what the actual reality of this campaign has been

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

edrith posted:

Jesus this is awful

A Lebanese-American man was killed by a man who had repeatedly violently targeted his family for years, to the point of running over his mother with a car, because he thought they were Muslims

They're Christian.

How the gently caress this guy was out on bond after attempted vehicular manslaughter of a woman who had a restraining order against him?
This tends to happen all the time to Sikhs since they fit the racist stereotype of 'Muslims' for a lot of dumb people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pakled posted:

That story's also a sad example of how "Islam isn't a race, therefore we're not racist for hating Islam" is bullshit.
Or how they say that Islam is a 'cult' and therefore not on the same level as other religions

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I said this months ago and I'm sticking to it: Trump is this century's Barry Goldwater and I doubt he will clear 40% of the vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Radish posted:

Oh yeah I know you weren't, it's just something that really gets me riled when I hear it. It's just a misconception that has been allowed to fester because these fucks are specifically trying to do make birth control (ALL birth control) an abortion issue because any sexual agency of women is too much and sex should have consequences. It's very intentional and I just try to point it out when I can.
I also like to point out that prior to agreeing to get involved in this case, Hobby Lobby actually did offer contraception and other women's health coverage.

• Locked thread