Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Phisherman posted:

If I were the democrats I'd be finding more people like [the Khans]. Trump seems eager for the controversy and is easily baited. He'll take a poke at anything or anyone who offends him no matter how dumb it is. He'll charge stupidly at anything that gets his attention.

Yeah it's probably not going to be any one single thing that will sink Trump's campaign, but rather a series of different examples of American exceptionalism and multi-culturalism, deliberately baited or otherwise, that Trump will be unable to resist saying something horrible about, one news cycle at a time, all the way to November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

it was a very Aaron Sorkin moment and everyone loved it.

I love The West Wing to death and even watched The Newsroom in its entirety (I'm so so sorry) and this is bang-on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why does a Muslim terrorist supporter send his son to fight for America in Iraq for fucks sake.

It was a plot point in one of Tom Clancy's books where an Iranian family migrates to the States, and their son grows up to become a Secret Service agent, and then gets as far as being on the President's detail. Except he's actually a sleeper agent and at some point gets his orders to assassinate POTUS via instructions left behind by his Iranian spy-handler, whose cover identity is a rug merchant.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

What is it with him and the word good? Like, has he ever heard of a synonym or something ?????

I don't know about whether he's doing it "ironically" or otherwise intentionally, but it's pretty clear to me that Trump has a very limited vocabulary.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The European nationalist bigots are more well-educated and tactful, yes, but then they go on and use that intellectualism and education and tactfulness to disguise their bigotry and xenophobia in dogwhistles and subtleties. I mean, so did William F Buckley.

Trump doesn't, because he can't, but that's why people who like him, like him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

waitwhatno posted:

But judges have to be confirmed by the Senate, right? So it can't get TOO bad, like him appointing his daughter or something.

Why would a Trump presidency lead to the GOP taking the house, aren't these totally separate elections?

It is incredibly unlikely that a Trump Presidency would also result in a Democrat-controlled Congress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

Bernouts are just the 2016 PUMAs.

They will derange themselves into oblivion.

Ironically the PUMAs endorse Trump because Clinton is too close to Obama.

It's just a lot more obnoxious this time because it's spilling into Twitter and Facebook instead of being cordoned off into Hillaryis44.com

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

Is there any chance that if we see a ridiculous landslide victory and the GOP keeps the house that it could be the proof of disenfranchisement needed to get the SC to move on gerrymandering?

If I'm not mistaken Democratic Congressional and Senate candidates have been receiving the majority of votes since at least 2008 and it hasn't caused any movement yet, so I don't think anything's going to happen until at least the redistricting in 2020.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

California has a lot of the population of the US in it, and is one of the last states to close (sorry Hawai'i). It's also reliably dem that it could have its EV counted prior to the final voter tally entered in.

So for a while you had Obama trailing Romney by a few million votes. That rapidly shifted once stuff actually got counted. Of course Drudge, Breitbart, and Fox are never ones to let facts get in the way of a good immediate narrative so they leaped on the disparity/2000 callback.

By sometime in the AM (eastern time) Obama had both the EV majority and the popular vote, and the latter finally settled with Romney getting the deeply ironic 47%.

Luckily the US won't have that problem this year when Clinton sews up 270 EVs before the California polls even close.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Giving Iran 400 million dollars that we already owed them in the first place in exchange* for getting them to release prisoners that they were within their rights to originally arrest would seem to indicate that Obama knows how to make the best deals.

* I know it wasn't an exchange

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I can't see the GOP getting remotely closer to winning the presidential race by dumping Trump at this point. Has this sort of thing even ever happened?

The closest thing we've seen was probably 1968, where LBJ's decision to not run and RFK's assassination turned the DNC into such a shitshow that the party was hamstrung in the general.

And that was just a case of the presumptive nominee getting shifted around a bunch. It's difficult to imagine that the GOP could pull off changing the actual nominee after the convention is over and having that improve their chances.

It's also going to allow Trump to slam the party repeatedly for being cowards after he gets booted. They lose, and Trump can totally claim the historical counterfactual where he would have won instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/kindofabigdata/status/760674089946189824

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "truth is in the middle" of nuclear winter is that while a single nuke going off won't cause it, even a "limited exchange" such as between India and Pakistan would probably throw up enough fallout and dust to cause severe damage to global agriculture leading to global famine. It's not going to cause Snowpiercer levels of global cooling, but it will gently caress over millions of people in the Third World.

And that is of course assuming that a limited exchange wouldn't escalate into every other nuclear arsenal going off anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why would any other country except India and Pakistan jump in if they're just nuking each other? Obviously the countries that border them are hella hosed but they probably don't have nukes and more nukes wouldn't help them.

Because you don't know that the nukes from Pakistan are only ever heading towards India, and vice-versa, and waiting for that to be confirmed could take long enough that you're screwed on timing your retaliation if it turns out you actually need to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Israelis would notice that Pakistani missiles would be flying east towards India. Who else could they possibly be aimed at?

China would notice that India's missiles are flying west toward Pakistan. Who else could they possibly be aimed at?

I'm not saying I disagree, but if nuclear policy were entirely based on rationality, we wouldn't have had the Cold War.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What does uspol think of nukes re Japan?

It's a derail on the same scale as tipping and cooking steaks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The US shipped 400 million USD to Iran as part of a payment of a deal made before the Iranian revolution, since the nuclear treaty they have includes unfreezing of assets.

This was done at around the same time that the American sailors that were arrested some months back for violating Iranian waters were finally released from their internment.

The WSJ published an article insinuating that this was proof of Obama paying Iran for the release of what were effectively hostages.

This could well have been a thing that might put the Democrats on the defensive for a news cycle because nuance is dead, but alas, Trump.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tibeerius posted:

One correction. The Americans who were "ransomed" in this story were not the sailors, they were a Washington Post reporter, a former U.S. Marine, a pastor, and one other person.

Why this is a story in August baffles me. Everyone knew the key facts back in January.

Thank you. I appreciate getting fact-checked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Rose's twitter account spotted.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

no no no, that's also very bad.

The electoral college has enough problems without the electorate worrying if they'll follow the people's votes.

The US Electoral College has had a smattering of faithless electors over the years, with the latest in 2000, but it hasn't mattered since at least 1836 and 1800.

I do agree that optics-wise it looks bad, especially if you want to avoid the spectre of an illegitimate election.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tibeerius posted:

I love how Trump has turned the usual "VP = attack dog" conventional wisdom upside-down. Every quote I see from Pence these days is covering for his running mate.

I don't know what the opposite of "attack dog" is, but Mike Pence is it.

"Lapdogs! All of you!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to share this Howard Dean moment from the 2016 DNC because I thought it was a nice self-deprecating moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZnbmbm9Z4&t=369s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box A posted:

Flag-themed clothing are not actual US Flags, the same way gold-fringe flags are not, and thus not subject to the flag code.

You can't be serious, right? This is sounds like SovCit junk.

the talent deficit posted:

Peak Republicans was the early 2000s when you had Ford, Reagan and both Bushes alive and kicking or during the Clinton years with Nixon replacing the younger Bush.

Peak Democrats was the 1860s with Pierce, Buchanan and one of Van Buren or Johnson (but not both) or right now with Carter, Clinton and Obama. If Carter can hold on and Hillary wins in November, peak Democrat will be January 2017+

I just wanted to appreciate all the effort that went into this post.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

emdash posted:

Today's polls so far. :eyepop:

Holy mackerel, that last 4-way poll.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

why doesn't Hillary just start acting like she's vetting far-left judges for SCOTUS? I'd think that would get them to confirm Garland in a heartbeat.

Giving the impression that you think you've already won can drive down turnout for your voters, and vice-versa for the opposition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does not understand nuclear strategy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sensible Thursday posted:

So this new Melania scandal should extend the meltdown at least a couple more days, right?

"So this new scandal should extend the meltdown at least a couple more days, right?" is what I expect most people here are buckled up for all the way to November.

Trump never "ends" a scandal. He just says some poo poo that's worse than the last thing he said.

And even when someone or something takes the spotlight away from him, he just goes off and says some poo poo anyway, because he can't stand not being talked about.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

El Disco posted:

Another good example is the Dean Scream. He was already pretty far behind when it happened, but a lot of people think it was the YEEEEAAARRRGH that sank him.

It's sort of like the Battle of Teutoberg Forest - the Roman Empire was already on a downward slope for a while, but we like to say "this is where the tide turned" because it's an easy shorthand. If it didn't happen, (pop) historians would have just pointed to something else as being the definitive decisive battle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Trump concession speech, if it ever happened, would probably be something like 5 minutes of staying on script followed by re-litigating everything he's said since the primaries and everything we're about to hear in the next three months.

" ... now let me tell you about Megyn Kelly and Fox News ..."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone noticed he hasn't tweeted anything overtly negative for the past 24 hours?

Calm before the storm - his tirade against the Khans didn't come immediately after the DNC, either.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bit of ancient history: how many people were still in the last Republican Debate?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.rappler.com/nation/142109-duterte-us-ambassador-goldberg-buwisit

quote:

CAPIZ, Philippines – The notoriously frank President Rodrigo Duterte had something to say about United States Ambassador Philip Goldberg on Friday, August 5.

Narrating the recent meeting he had with US Secretary of State John Kerry, Duterte transitioned into telling his audience of soldiers in Camp Lapu-Lapu in Cebu City about his dislike for Goldberg.

"Kausap namin si Kerry. Okay naman siya kasi nag-away kami ng ambassador niya, 'yung ambassador, 'yung bakla. Putangina buwisit ako diyan," said a visibly irritated Duterte.

(We were talking to Kerry. He's okay but I had an argument with their ambassador, that homosexual. Son of bitch, he really annoys me.)

The Philippine president has obviously not gotten over Goldberg's reaction to his controverial rape remark that was among the lowest points of his 2016 presidential campaign.

"Makikisali doon sa eleksyon eh (Interfering in elections), giving statements here and there. You’re not supposed to do that," said Duterte.

In a television interview amidst national uproar about Duterte's remark, Goldberg had said, “statements by anyone, anywhere that either degrade women or trivialize issues so serious as rape or murder are not ones that we condone.”

A vexed Duterte slammed Goldberg for interfering in the national elections, even advising him to "shut up."

Duterte then continued with his narration of his meeting with Kerry. By the end of the courtesy call, Kerry had promised to give the Philippine government $32 million for law enforcement.

Duterte joked that it seems insulting Americans is one way to get money from them.

"Iniwanan pa kami ni si Delfin [Lorenzana] ng $[32] million. Okay ito ah. Bastusin natin ulit para mag-areglo itong buwang na ito. Pera pala ito, pera-pera lang," said a chuckling Duterte.

(He left me and Delfin Lorenzana with $32 million. This is great. Let's insult them again so these fools try to make amends again. They're just about money.)

While Duterte referred to Goldberg as a "bakla" as if to insult him, this is not the first time he used the term in a derogatory way.

During the 2016 campaign season, Duterte used the term "bayot" which also means "gay" in Bisaya to denote weakness in critics who don't believe he can suppress crime and drugs in 3 to 6 months.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

Clinton +12 in Virginia :stare:

Terry McAuliffe 2020!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/762649765687365633

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

GA is kind of the Dem's PA though, the one they think that maybe this year, they can flip.

Isn't that Texas?

Grundulum posted:

I can live with that outcome.

I seriously feel bad for my principled conservative friends this election. If the situation were reversed and I had to choose between an apocalyptically bad candidate and someone who is my political opposite in almost every sense, I'm not sure what I would do.

I don't think "the continued existence of contemporary society" is a particularly tough call.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

Help me out, someone. I have never been able to figure out why John Lithgow was allowed into the room for this event.

Based on this Time article, that's:

quote:

Tom Donilon (standing, arms folded) was President Obama’s National Security Advisor from October 2010 until June 2013 and is now a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. Donilon didn’t want President Obama to watch the raid, fearing it would appear he was micromanaging the strike. Obama reportedly insisted, striding into the room, saying “I need to watch this.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In this election's lingo, what does "tankies" mean?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

berserker posted:

Here's what I don't get about the "silent majority" thing. Polls are anonymous. It's not like when someone calls you to ask poll questions that there's anyone standing there watching you and judging your answers. The pollsters don't get your name, only demographics statistics. No one knows who it is who is saying they support Clinton or Trump. So in that scenario, why would anyone have any reason to lie about how they truly feel and so throw off a poll? And how likely could it possibly be that this happens consistently over all polls?

The silent majority doesn't exist.

Based on my own experience with other people who believe in this sort of thing, it comes from:

"I never got polled, and none of the people I know have gotten polled either, how can they know what we think? How can 1000 people be representative of millions?"

"Look at all the people attending these rallies! How can we possibly lose?!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Publicly fingered in the butt for a broken headlight:

New Chuck Tingle book title.

zoux posted:

Ryan said at a press conference that he hadn't heard what Trump said and then a reporter was like "here I'll read it" and he was all NO!

Please tell me there's video

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: You're missing the point. And I doubt this guy was mentioning it as praise for how far he has come.

Yeah he was absolutely calling him a human being in the pejorative sense.

I'd start a Philippines thread, but I don't know if there'd be any interest in it, and it'd just be me posting the latest insane poo poo that the President said. Here's a cross-post from a write-up I made in the Politoons thread compiling the week so far:

gradenko_2000 posted:

This Sunday, the President read and released a list of more than 150 officials that he claims is or was involved in the drug trade. The list is simply names, with no corroborating evidence, and no official charges have been filed against any of the people named.

Some of the officials named on the list were members of the judiciary. The Chief Justice of the country's Supreme Court wrote a letter to the President, clarifying that a number of the Judges named in the list could not possibly have had links to the drug trade anymore, because they're either dead, or resigned, or are handling cases and trials that do not involve drugs.

The Chief Justice also instructed her Judges to please not voluntarily surrender themselves (as others have done) until and unless charges have been filed against them. She also asked that they be issued licenses to carry firearms for personal defense (as the expectation is that being named as a drug-involved figure will leave one open to being attacked by vigilante groups).

The President then shot back with a threat of declaring Martial Law, if the Judiciary will not "cooperate". This was followed up by a statement today by the President's chief legal counsel claiming that he would be entirely within his rights to do so, given the purported gravity of the drug situation in the country.

This dovetails with him threatening to close down Congress during his election campaign. He made that threat again last week while talking about changing the country's Constitution.

He's also recently allowed the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos to be given a heroes' burial (the American equivalent would be the Arlington National Cemetery), and called the US Ambassador to the Philippines a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

I also listen to a lot of podcasts and it's getting old to get bombarded with ads for all these subscription services that I literally can't use. CLUB W! MEUNDIES! BLUE APRON!

Or HELIX SLEEP! CASPER MATTRESSES! MAILKHIMP!

I suppose it's still better than some far dystopian future where software identifies my location and makes me listen to local ads instead.

I was actually really interested in the Five Four Club thing that Keeping it 1600 plugs because I'm lazy and uneducated when it comes to clothes shopping. Alas.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't remember, does Civ V fix the 'fortified hoplite can smash an army of tanks' issue?

That was a Civ 3 problem that Civ 4 solved. It reared its head again in unpatched, no-expansion Civ V, but was also fixed later on.

• Locked thread