Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

To the person who fetchingly described narcissism, linked it to Trump's behavior, and predicted he'd call Hillary a oval office at the debates, this dead soldier stuff isn't too far off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Was Clint talking to a reporter this time when he said things he used to do weren't called racist, or an empty chair again?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Good point.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only lesson I'm getting from this election is that an ignorant blowhard rear end in a top hat virtuoso like Trump can still get like 30-40% of the country behind him. I'm never going to look at the average guy on the street in America the same way again.

No, stop. He is getting, at most, 30-40% of the almost 50% who will bother to have an opinion and/or vote.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

You're setting yourself up for disappointment here. He's not going to get less than 40%. He's going to lose in a landslide, but that landslide is almost certainly going to still mean somewhere (slightly) north of 40% of the popular vote. The only way that doesn't happen is if the GOPe starts actively sabotaging him.

Hey I know we're talking about two different things here: Population vs Population who votes, and the percentage of that. I just don't want this fellow thinking that literally 40% of Americans support Tramp when we just honestly don't know what half of them think about anything.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I see someone doesn't understand the actual meaning and context of Donald Trump's words.

I'm afraid there's no such thing as "meaning and context" with respect to Tronald Dump words.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

A specter is haunting the world: the specter of illiberal democracy. Yascha Mounk over at Slate has a long-form piece that paints a pretty dire picture of the future of left-wing governance around the world based on the awfulness that was July in world news.

It reads like Glenn Beck drawing lines in chalk between pictures.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Just as an aside I think that a lot of people don't realize just how badly the upper-lower and lower-middle classes in the South have gotten hosed by modern logistics and mechanization.

All those 300pop towns that exist throughout Texas will finally cease to be when the robots arrive and the loving ratchets up a few more notches. CDLs saved lots of people when the factories and mills closed.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hopHeadless posted:

When you tug at the thread of libertarianism it always ends up unraveling into might makes right. This guy all but admits that the only difference between his ideal world and the one we live in is that in our world, people he personally dislikes are not his slaves.

It's like they never grew out of that persecuted nerd mentality from high school and formed an entire worldview to justify it.

You don't meet many cosmopolitan libertarians for a reason.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'm afraid Hollismason having a kid is an impossibility.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gfsincere posted:

Well that and I guess now we're going to all pretend people have never lied on the Internet about anything, including their race.

Guess we're at this point of the conversation.

Nobody on the planet is coming to SomethingAwfuldotcom politics subforum and then pretending to be a black person in the US Politics thread, chief.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

Trump claimed that the FBI and Department of Justice could not be trusted to investigate “Hillary Clinton’s crimes”.

Okay well...can they be trusted to do anything...?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Fraillery Clinton is unfit to lead.

"In the Bush W days we all just took uppers in the morning and downers at night. Ambien is evidence of God's benevolence." - Colin Powell

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

i don't know what that means

also when I looked it up they literally had 9 people out of 2000 making over 100k a year, that's hardly the "incredibly cushy job you get for favors" that normally appears when things look shady

Sometimes, your brain thinks of a really ripping comeback, but somewhere between ethereal thoughts and material reality, one must try to figure out how to word said comeback. Many of us spend minutes carefully constructing an expression of ideas, reading and re-reading to make sure we've used the best possible diction; some do not.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

it has been suggested by some scholars that the recent resurgence of far-right populism is rooted in feelings of inadequacy and humiliation.

There is a very very large group of quiet and powerful racists who have brains that work like this:

"I'm not racist. Everyone has a fair and equal shot."
<african american woman drives past in a car better than theirs>
"loving BLACKS GETTING poo poo BEFORE I DO gently caress THIS TRUMP '16"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

I have a left leaning Uncle that is worried about voting Clinton because she reminds him of Thatcher. GEE I loving WONDER WHY?

How the gently caress does Childless Maggy Thatcher, better known as Theresa May, make him feel?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Does she sign books, I want terribly to call her Heather Donald to her face.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

Autonomous cars don't work anywhere except tightly controlled tests (i.e. the ones google has running in cali have every meticulously detailed maps of the areas they run and still get stumped by v basic traffic situations) and are about as ready for primetime as those Japanese robots that carry people out of fires and jack off hospital patients or w/e.

What about all them trucks that convoyed through Europe for 2k miles the other month?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

neoliberal posted:

Pretty much every communist country
Glad the Russian Orthodoxy has no power.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

size1one posted:

What does this even mean? Resident Alien cards already have fingerprints and photos on them. Resident aliens are supposed to carry their cards at all times.

edit: resident alien cards are "green cards".

There is no way in hell I'm taking my green card out of my house unless it's to an airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

size1one posted:

The chances you ever have to show it, other than while passing a border, are slim but the law is very clear about it.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-8289.html

The alternative is losing my green card what happens then mister laws?

• Locked thread