Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Didn't he already make one to gently caress with both Cruz and Kaisch?

Why would you assume Trump would actually do anything he said he was going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

theshim posted:

One of the major downsides to a lot of Proportional Representation systems is that the vast majority of people will still tend to fall into one of a few parties that comprise a large section of each side of politics. In these systems you typically need to form a coalition with ideological allies in order to form a working government. This moves a shitton of power to the marginalized and often batshit radical groups that neither major party bloc wants to associate with, but ends up needing to win them over.

Basically, it's one of the win conditions for Libertarians.

Democracy is hosed, murder you're parents

So like the Tea Party (or Sanders) now? :v:

That is to say, I think that same effect is just felt within the parties in a 2-party system.

I am still in favor of a party-roll PR senate. Sure it would still be dominated by a few larger blocs, but it would provide a place for national leaders of alternative parties to exist and also rework one of our most anti-democratic institutions in a way that still provides the institutionalist counterbalance to the id of the House.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brony Car posted:

I wish Clinton could just figure out one good response to the e-mail fiasco and stick with it. This is ridiculous:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/07/31/clintons-claim-that-the-fbi-director-said-her-email-answers-were-truthful/

As a sheep who consumes mainstream media, I demand more liberal bias.

She's not wrong :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

But they would likely be required to give the Dems overwhelming majorities again, which is where the system falls apart. Progressives and Blue Dogs shouldn't have to work together, Blue Dogs should just be Republicans, but the Republicans are too close to fascism for that to work anymore.

I don't think you need old white mostly-male conservative democratic candidates to win the margins required for working majorities.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Hahahaha Pro-Fracking Site for Millennials.

http://www.frackfeed.com/

*A Project of North Texans for Natural Gas*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_vw1-HJXGY

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I really kinda hope "riggers" catches on as a slur for the evil forces keeping Democrats in office.

You know, like "those drat riggers swinging the vote in North Carolina"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

They're still allowing the poo poo like truncating early/mail in voting and limiting voting access times though. I don't think that's been challenged.

I'm pretty sure the NC law that was just found to have discriminatory intent included limits to early voting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I'm in a bad position. I get called a shitposter when I'm being honest and reasonable when I'm being hyperbolic.

I stopped watching the convention after the "I'm a Republican for Hillary" and the "Blut und Boden" speeches. Khan's speech in between notwithstanding the point had been made.

Ok if you're being honest, who was the "religious wackjob" on the last night?

And I'm also curious how that person more of a "religious wackjob" than the other religious speakers on the other nights?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

Me: Hey don what do you got there?
Trump: Just some radical Islamic terrorism preventing wall building crooked Hillary original recipe.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/760299757206208512

Can't even pretend he might eat it with his hands like an American

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

But judges have to be confirmed by the Senate, right? So it can't get TOO bad, like him appointing his daughter or something.

Why would a Trump presidency lead to the GOP taking the house, aren't these totally separate elections?

Because if Trump wins it means voters picked him in enough places that it is very likely Republicans keep the House.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't worry guys! It will all be over after the election and that kid won't grow up to assassinate President North West

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Unfortunately, knowing myself from a mere 2-3 years ago, there's plenty of people voting-age who hate kids and will be glad someone finally said it.

I really hope Trump goes for the childfree demographic

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Trump does gaffes like Steph Curry shoots threes, before this year we didn't know what it meant to be a gaffe machine.

So Trump is going to stop making gaffes once the championship is on the line?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kaleedity posted:

I loving hate having to defend trump, but he's a narcissist. If he says something positive about someone, he has to frame it in some way related to himself. Just because he can't control his narcissism doesn't mean he'd gently caress his daughter. If there was any evidence beyond Trump acting like a narcissistic buffoon, it would be more warranted. It's still annoying as poo poo rumormongering and honestly on the same level as most of the poo poo propaganda against clinton.

Your theory falls apart when you look at Trump's comments about Putin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kaleedity posted:

Which theory, and which comments, please. Additionally, can you explain how Trump sees Putin differently from himself?

Your theory is that Trump can only say nice things about others framed within a compliment for himself and thus him saying "I would date my own daughter" isn't creepy, right?

Trump has said many nice things about Putin without framing it within a self-styled compliment.

quote:

America is at a great disadvantage. Putin is ex-KGB, Obama is a community organizer. Unfair.

quote:

against allegations the Russian leader has ordered the killings of journalists.

"He's running his country and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have in this country," Trump said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "I think our country does plenty of killing also."

So no, I think there's more to Trump's creepy sexist comments about his daughter than he's just self-centered.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kaleedity posted:

you're conflating "creepy" with "certain probability that she's been harassed by her own father", so you know.

You failed to explain how Trump complimenting someone acting just like him isn't actually narcissistic.

God job putting someone's else's words in my mouth.

So why can't Trump just have complimented his daughter in the same way he complimented Putin?

Why did Trump choose to repeatedly say he would have sex with his daughter if she wasn't his relative if he felt no sexual attraction to her?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is just more empty pandering to the Sanders people from Clinton.

Lol I doubt they gave a gently caress about what Sanders people thought when making these decisions

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Someone is going to go to jail/get fired because they have an iPhone and their recipient has an Android.

Again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Drunk college kids watching bad TV at like 3 in the morning.

Actually the Obama campaign made a big deal about buying calculated ad buys in those cheapest time slots (2am/2pm) and targeting the working class.

They purchased direct access to cable box demographics for Denver and other key cities so they could micro-target not just by demographic but by ad slot too.

This forgoes the usually campaign discount, but often because the slots are cheaper it doesn't matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

To add to this, nobody's mind gets changed anymore (true independents are a myth), it's pretty much all down to turnout.

On the other hand, I was listening to an interview with one voter who said her vote might honestly depend on if she saw the "In His Own Words" ad on Election Day. She believed in Trump but couldn't handle the sexism.

Ads are of marginal effect but elections are all about the margins.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Right but they probably solidified their choice once the candidates were set. The point is that they aren't going back and forth and this point, they've already made their decision (even if this time it's weird people are switching from voting R to voting D, but that's because Trump is such a uniquely loving horrible candidate).

I don't think you can be so quick to assume that everyone made up their mind instantly.

This narrative that undecides don't exist at all is false. They just never are as big a group as people pretend. This year might be a peak for true undecideds.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

So does the GOP normally run big GOTV efforts? Clearly it's huge for Ds but I'm not sure if it applies with the R demographics.

Usually they make sure that someone fills out all the ballots for the old people, so they vote for the right candidates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blorange posted:

When do we get to the point where Trump's campaign is so bad it's actively harmful for Hillary? If he limps to the finish line she'll win in a landslide, but if things implode in August there's still some time for Republicans to rally around a backup.

They can't replace Trump

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

I mean the parties aren't exactly governed by any rules or laws so they could it would just be a real bad look

States have laws about who can be on the ballot. After officially nominating him, maybe a few states will allow a party to change their mind, but it's not really an option.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What has to be going through their heads as they chant "HATE WILL WIN" because I can't imagine a more disgusting and soul crushing moment than that.

They have to be thinking "I am on the side of hate and I want to be there." At least the racists usually pretend it isn't hate but fear or tradition or some poo poo. This is verbally affirming being on the side of hate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She was totally lying about that amendment thing! Money matters m o re than policy!

If she really hates CU why is she letting her SuperPAC buy her a bunch of ads???

Sanders proved you don't need a SuperPAC to win!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

If not for asbestos, what made the 9/11 wreckage so horribly unhealthy? Just all the atomized fiberglass insulation and stuff?

e: googled it. Looks like fiberglass, trace amounts of asbestos, and carcinogenic hydrocarbons consistent with the exhaust of a slowly smoldering fire.

Yeah generally a good combo of "all the bad things except radiation"

quote:

Much of the thousands of tons of debris resulting from the collapse of the Twin Towers was pulverized concrete, which is known to cause silicosis upon inhalation. The remainder consisted of more than 2,500 contaminants,[4] more specifically: 50% non-fibrous material and construction debris; 40% glass and other fibers; 9.2% cellulose; and 0.8% of the extremely toxic carcinogen asbestos, as well as detectable amounts of[5] lead, and mercury. There were also unprecedented levels of dioxins and PAHs from the fires which burned for three months

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Is that story regarding the Clinton Foundation and shady foreign.money getting any traction.

The.Clinton Foundation really seems like a.alush fund/ dubious organization.

It is pretty dubious that these big companies and rich people would give money to an organization and then that organization would spend that money on "projects" to "bring people together" to "take on" things they call "challenges of the 21st century"

Who needs proof when the facts are so obvious?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

emdash posted:

petition started by Karen Bass, CA37 congressperson: https://www.change.org/p/diagnosetrump

I'm pretty sure APA considers it unethical to publicly comment on political candidates since Eagleton.

703 posted:

This has been my nightmare from the get-go. IF Don dropped out, I feel like the bland republican they would get to replace him would have the base so loving excited that they would come out in droves.

Hilary only doing okay because the only real alternative is Don.

At most they will just disown him. I still don't believe they really are capable of replacing him on the ballot.

"Vote Trump so that our Electors can instead vote Cruz/Ryan/Marco" isn't a winning slogan.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's amazing how much people have bought into talk radio narratives on the Clinton Foundation that the argument is "how much bad poo poo is this non-profit accused of doing without evidence" while ignoring all the good things it does.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 3, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gregday posted:

Eh, while it's absolutely true that catcalls from construction works still constitutes harassment, it is quite a different thing than what Ailes allegedly did, which is preying on a new potential hire, desperate for money, making her perform favors over an extended amount of time, forcing her to say and do things on video, then locking that video in a safe deposit box, telling her it's "so we have an understanding." What he did is straight up sexual torture. The question that was posed to Trump was specifically worded to ask what she would do if she was harassed in the same way as what Ailes is being accused of. I think that makes his and Eric's responses so much more horrific than how she handled this.

Yeah but what Ailes did was probably sexual assault

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

So if the sane Republicans jump ship and either leave the party or consent to work with Democrats, does that pull the Democratic party right?

In so much as the Democrats would then be able to pass laws and those laws will be compromises with the platform and not the platform untouched, yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

tell us more about how catcalling isn't 'real' sexual harassment.

I think the argument is more that Allies went far far beyond just harassmeno.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SCOTUS blocked the implementation of the Obama transgender bathroom order on a 5-3?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought they weren't taking this case until the next session? When did they do this? :smith:

Looks like just now, staying the order until they hear it next session

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/04/488683938/high-court-temporarily-blocks-transgender-student-from-using-male-bathroom

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I don't think the majority of the posters here like TPP, it's just that the generalized anti-trade arguments aren't very good.

There are still plenty of things to nitpick about the TPP that make it into a mixed bag.

I like the TPP because the environmental and labor standards, while far from perfect, are a vast improvement over the status quo.

Also Soros pays me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

:ssh:

He works in finance.

I haven't read through it enough to know, is anyone aware of the specific enforcement mechanism set up to actually ensure that corporations adhere to these environmental and labor standards?

because that seems like a massive, massive undertaking and would require full compliance of the authorities in every member state, which, lol

I didn't check, but I'm pretty sure the mechanism is trade retaliation just like with other forbidden trade practices. TPP is the first free trade treaty to treat labor and environmental costs as real costs and failure to enforce those costs is a forbidden subsidy.

So for example what would happen is say, US rubber belt makers will complain to the US trade rep that the rubber belt makers in Laos are cheating by not enforcing waste water laws, the US brings it up in trade arbitration and a tarriff is set that makes it no longer worth while to cut that corner.

This is a well used mechanism for other complex trade relationships, so once again, not perfect but still groundbreaking.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

radical meme posted:

That is quite possibly the most contorted interpretation of what happened that I've seen yet, so I'm assuming it's sarcasm.

I hope everyone realizes that these were not Obama orders. The administration issued guidelines interpreting Title IX requirements as applied to gender preference. As well intentioned as they were, they went against existing legal precedent; gender preference has never been held to be a protected class. Sexual orientation is not even a protected class. It's entirely possible that the current 8 person Supreme Court could decide unanimously to uphold existing precedent, rejecting the guidelines.

Other than your anger about my use of Obama as a metonymy, what was contorted about what I said exactly?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

No application necessary. All you have to do is assign imaginary motives, and even statements, to posters who say anything contrary to what's acceptable in mainstream political discourse. Remember, all trade agreements are good, trickle down will work, and we don't need to protect American jobs, at all, because we'll be getting UBI any day now.

Lol yes tell us more about people assigning imaginary motives to statements :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wow Assange really just poo poo all over his public mandate huh

He's even stopped saying "information wants to be free" and instead started using "information wants to have the biggest impact and uptake possible" to justify withholding information

• Locked thread