Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most non-chargeable clock batteries will last a good decade because of how little power the clock circuit draws from it. The Dreamcast one, however, will discharge to ground because it's a rechargeable coin battery pulling current from the AC adapter to keep itself going.

My Saturn never did very well with the battery. After it got packed up, I'd take it out once a year to play through Christmas NiGHTS, and without fail the battery would be dead and my saved game would be gone. I wound up backing up my saves to one of those extra RAM/Action Replay/Save Backup/etc. carts eventually. This was on both my original Saturn and the modded white one I replaced it with.

Thinking about it, my VMU almost never left the controller and would eat batteries too. I got used to the dead battery noise being part of my Dreamcast's power on sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Got a Wii controller repair question, if anyone might happen to know the answer.

I've got a Classic Controller (original, cable-on-the-bottom version) that my cats bit through the cable on years ago. I wanted to try and repair it for use with my NES Classic.

I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver on me, but from looking at a nice, clear pic of the inside of a Nunchuk, and a blurry video screen capture of the inside of a Classic Controller, I should just be able to unplug the cables from the board and swap them between the two. Does anybody know if this will actually work, or if I've got some cable splicing ahead of me?

I think I have a screwdriver at work that will fit it, so I'll probably find out tomorrow either way, it'd just be nice to know ahead of time.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd probably be better hacking a Classic Controller Pro apart for the cable, because there's probably a lot less wiring inside a cable supporting all of two buttons, a gyroscope and thumbstick.

After getting a long enough screwdriver, the cables are identical, other than some of the outer insulation being stripped off and a big strain relief added on the Nunchuk's cable.

The down side is that they're not plugged in like it appears, they're long pins run through a plastic block that makes it look like a plug, but they're soldered on. And I'm rusty enough with a soldering iron that it's not worth it.

So at this point, I think I'm just going to see if Gamestop has any used real Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pros, or buy one of those PDP GameCube controller clones that uses the Wiimote port. The NES Classic can now run other system's games, but a lot of the 3rd party Classic controllers don't work right on it. And I need the extra buttons.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't really have any particularly amusing "playing music not designed specifically for the game" stories, beyond loading up Quake with the wrong CD back in the day and getting the soundtrack to sample The Games Factory game "Magician's Lair"

I did this, but I had 3D Lemmings in the drive. I think it wound up with the first level being circus music, and the between-level music was the Lemmings sci-fi level music.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Miles McCloud posted:

Unless your xbox is a 1.6 version, don't forget to remove the suicide clock battery or it will eventually murder your console. This isn't an optional mod, this is absolutely required if you want your system to last into the future.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mikeosoft/media/xbox%20repair/IMG_20120602_180932.jpg.html

You should also really consider TSOP modding to remove the HDD locking, but if you can't solder at the very least keep a copy of the HDD key (which you can access after soft modding) stored somewhere safe so if your hard drive dies you won't have a bricked system.

I'll have to check mine out at some point. It's in a box in pieces right now, I somehow messed up the file system trying to get it to boot into XBMC instead of whatever launcher it was using before, then the mod chip stopped responding, and I never finished working on getting it back up and running.

I'm not great at soldering, but hopefully I can just snip the leads on that bad capacitor and deal with resetting the time on the rare times I'd use the XBox for something. I think mine was a 1st or 2nd revision XBox, it still had the test points for using a solderless mod chip.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Phone posted:

I've been scared by a Mario game.

In my defense, I wasn't expecting that enemy that was off screen.

First time playing through Super Metroid. It was pretty late, the lights were off, and my brother and I had just beaten Crocomire.

Then we tried to leave its room...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

One of the mirrors in my Virtual Boy is messed up, pretty sure the left one stopped moving entirely. I'll have to open it up one of these days and see if it's something I can fix.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Empress Brosephine posted:

How hard is it to mod a ps2? Always wanted to play some imports on it

I used to have a modded PS2 that was one soldered wire inside and a USB dongle.

It's been long enough that I can't remember if it would play imports or just copies, though. I know I had some copied import PSX games that would run on it, but they may have been edited to change the region.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Hands up if you look in the bin of random cables when you go into a thrift store to look for GameCube component cables. Someday I'll find a set for 50 cents and then you'll all die of jealousy!

Until recently, I didn't realize these were rare. I got a set first thing when I got my GameCube. Same for the Dreamcast broadband adapter, which I guess they sold one batch of from Sega directly. Or at least that's what it seemed like, I had preordered one from them and from that point on it was always out of stock.

I don't think I ever actually used the broadband adapter except to rip a couple of tracks off Sonic Adventure 2. I remember eventually getting it to work on PSO, but you had to make a save file from a Japanese browser disc or something to get it to kick in since it wasn't an official option for it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Medullah posted:

Hey, tell me everyone here didn't fully take advantage of jamming on the pause button in Mega Man 1 to beat the rock monster boss.

Also half the bosses in Blaster Master. I think it was literally alternating bosses that were vulnerable to , "throw grenade, pause while grenade is exploding, damage continues to build while paused."

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) this makes me want a switch even more now
2) please, PLEASE don't patch this out, Nintendo

I don't think they can patch it out, it looks like the 8bitdo controller is basically emulating a joycon or pro controller.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I think I have that exact TV in my guest room. It was the last CRT I bought, and that room doesn't get used enough to justify buying a new TV for it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The Kins posted:

In "...huh." news, Hyperkin are bringing back "The Duke" for Xbox One and Windows 10, with the endorsement of original Xbox co-creator Seamus Blackley.

The original design is augmented with shoulder bumpers, a detachable 9-foot-long cable, and, uh, a lil' screen displaying an animated logo in place of the original sticker. It's still gonna be big as gently caress, though.

No word on price or release date beyond "Holiday 2017".

That actually seems like a decent emulator controller. If the sticks click in, it's got 2 sets of shoulder buttons, and black/white don't just map to L1/R1, then you've basically got all the current standard buttons plus a 6-button layout.

Actually, even if black & white are just remaps of something it wouldn't be bad, you'd still be able to use it for something like the Saturn since that had 6 buttons but only 1 set of shoulder buttons.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I was hoping something like this would be released, glad I held off on buying more controllers (I have the NES30 & Retro Receiver for my NES Classic, but that's it so far).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

RodShaft posted:

Yeah. Retroarch is just a mess. I need a better launcher. I don't need a million options, I just want to have an easy menu(that my 4 year old can navigate) to launch different games/systems in my Android TV. The NES Classic is perfect. He can even work old modded Xbox that hasn't been updated since 2003.

You could always build a Retropie. I'm working on a handheld Pi Zero based one, and a Pi3 inside an old SNES shell. But you could just use a Pi3 in whatever case, with a decent size SD card or USB storage, and some USB or Bluetooth controllers for it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I would assume that but then where do they plug in?

Either on the back or on the unseen right side, I'd assume.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

And the star fox 2 ROM will be extracted rendering all those custom carts obsolete!

The version of Star Fox 2 on this is probably the later one that never leaked, too.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

It has to be. Wasn't a 100% version verified in like 2015?

Also, it begins: http://m.ebay.com/itm/263058118582?_mwBanner=1
One of the devs mentioned in an interview in 2017 that the ROM that's floating around was an older version, and there was a final one with some changes and additions.

It wouldn't surprise me to see that one in the release, since it would be weird to advertise it like they have without it being a 100% finished game.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe Nintendo themselves have the newest version of the ROM? They are very good at data archiving.

Well, they had something available while StarFox Command was being made. And it was identified as the mastered version, so either the one out there now is the final, ready to go on cartridge version, or there's one that Nintendo has that hasn't made it out yet.

Since the current one required some hacking if I remember, it's probably an earlier version than whatever Nintendo has access to.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

incoherent posted:

So are those original SNES ports or mini ones? Shame they broke compatibility with wii ports. But if they had 50 of the ports and controller around to fulfill demand It's a neat addition (plus you can break out the SNES stick too!).

The ports on the front are fake. Nintendo's page says it's compatible with the Classic Controller & Classic Controller Pro, so it's still got the Wii ports somewhere. Either on the back or the fake ports flip up or something.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Stan Taylor posted:

While it was fine for the NES mini it annoys me that there isn't a lil cart in the SNES mini.

I'm sure someone will 3D print a half mini cart that you can stick on top.

So, speaking of the SNES, I've been taking apart some broken ones lately to eventually build a Retropie inside one with the buttons and controller ports wired up once I can collect an intact enough shell. There's just one oddity I've noticed that I'm hoping someone else has run into.

When I'm unscrewing the corner screws, a lot of the time the threaded part of the top half of the shell will tear itself apart. The two that I've taken apart have both had a lot of cracks on those corners, so maybe it was weakened anyway, or it may just be that the plastic is especially brittle at this point.

Has anyone else run into that, and is it avoidable? When I get my hands on an uncracked one, I was thinking of squirting a little bit of WD-40 around the screw to see if maybe that'll loosen it somewhat and prevent that from happening, but it seems like a long shot. Heating the plastic a little seems like something that might also work, but I'm not sure I can heat it enough from the outside to make a difference without messing it up otherwise.

Worst case, the two center screws that go into the cartridge bay have been fine every time, but I was hoping to chop off part of that plastic to make room inside, so having most of the corner screws functional would be ideal.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Get some of this : https://sugru.com/about

Wrap it around and plug it into the posts that no longer hold the screws.

Wait for it to dry and put some Krazy Glue over it to make it even harder. Either drill a tiny hole and use the original screws, or don't drill a tiny hole and just use small regular screw that are similar in size and have a pointy end on them.

Cool, if the one I finally wind up using comes apart, this might work. Thanks!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

So I had recently picked up a few SNES consoles in various states of disrepair to use for a shell on a Retropie setup. Turned out one of them, which was sold as, "powers on, does not read cartridges" was an odd motherboard revision. It still had 2 chips, but was model number SNS-RGB-CPU-02. A few other slight differences, like the eject button had a slightly different bracket, and the word Eject was embossed on the button instead of printed in white like the others. And the cartridge slot wasn't two pieces like on the SNS-GPM models I had taken apart, it was all one piece.

I discovered my childhood SNES was dead after trying to test out my controllers, and after messing with that one a little, I was able to get it going. The picture was actually pretty nice, even with the old composite cables.

So I guess now I'm going to have to de-yellow one of the shells I've got, and maybe get a set of component cables to hook it up to my Panasonic trinitron CRT.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This isn't a scam, it's pre-release PR for a crowdfunding campaign - they're trying to guarantee all eyes on the campaign when it launches and stirring up speculation is the easiest way to guarantee buzz, even if people are only idly interested in the product.

The rumour is that it's running a x86 SOC of some kind.

If nothing else, it might wind up being hacked into a nice emulation box. Like the NES Classic, except actually expandable.

Hell, if they just sold the shell and you could pop in something like a mini ITX board or a raspberry pi, they'd probably sell a bunch.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

univbee posted:

I seem to remember anecdotally from this thread that an American Game Genie will do just that.

I know it works the other way - I used to be big into Parodius and I used one to play the Super Famicom games on a US SNES. I don't have a Super Famicom kicking around to test it that way though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Code Jockey posted:

So I've never actually played any of them - was it even possible to beat them without knowing exactly what to do? Or was it really all just trial and error? Did the games give you any hints at all as to what you were supposed to do, or was it "try up, die, try down, die, try left, there we go" and repeat?

I seem to remember Space Ace having objects that would flash for a split second to indicate the next move, unless that was something they added to the CD-ROM version.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

BigRed0427 posted:

God loving dammit. Does the scraper override the box art and such for these games when you do it? Because I might reformat if it doesn't because it might be running out of space.

You can have it either append or overwrite. If you pick append, it should only scan stuff that's not already identified in the xml. I don't think it overwrites any art that's already there either way, unless the file name would be the same though. I used one scraper on mine that downloaded .pngs, and they were still there after I used the regular scraper which downloaded its own art.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Monopthalmus posted:

Yeah, lots on eBay including adapter cables.

I really want to swap the frontlit screen in my NES edition SP with a backlit one, but that seems to be tougher to find anything for. Once of these days I'll probably just buy a backlit SP and swap the shells.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

xamphear posted:

Can my Kickstarter pledge be in the form of a 7z with every SNES game ever made?

It looks like it runs actual cartridges, so I'm not sure that would help.

I wonder if it's emulating things like the retrons, or if it's able to use the extra chips on carts that have it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Speaking of 8bitdo, I got my NES30 arcade stick the other day, and I can only get it to boot up in xinput or dinput mode (based on the mode switch). The instructions say I should be able to get it into Switch mode by powering it on with Y + Start, but no luck so far.

Works great wired on my PC, but I already have a stick for that and I was hoping to use this one on the Switch.

And in xinput via Bluetooth, I can get my Retropie setup to pick it up, but only 6 of the 8 buttons. L2 and R2 aren’t detected.

I have a hunch I just have to wait for a firmware update, but has anyone else gotten one yet and had any luck with it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Charles Get-Out posted:

It...isn't? I use 3 DS4s with my PC and haven't had issues with any of them. You don't even need a wrapper for most modern games, like Fallout 4 has native support. Steam even has support in a similar way to it's Steam Controller.

I can't speak to people's personal preference in controller feel, but saying PS4 controllers are low quality and don't work well is 100% hyperbole.

The DS4 is actually the first Sony controller I've really liked. For some reason, every other iteration has cramped up my hands when I play for too long.

I'll probably stick with 360/XBone controllers for my PC, just because that's what most games are expecting and I can never remember the button layout on the Sonys, but I've got no problem playing PS4 games with them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

Most people in this thread probably already own some form of flash cart for the SNES.

I should get one, since I sold most of my SNES games last year since they were going for a ton.

I don’t have one yet (my retro systems aren’t hooked up due to a lack of space, and I have most of what I want to play on cartridge already), but somewhere I have an old Professor SFII (I think - one of the floppy based backup units). That was always fun to get working, I had to convert ROMs to some specific format, split into sizes that fit on floppy disks.

I had a Z64 as well - I had to replace the Zip drive at one point due to the click of death. And it wiped out the 100% save on my Smash Brothers cart when I had to use it to boot something else.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

shyduck posted:

I've never heard of a Z64 before, but it sounds like the pinnacle of 90's technology.

Oh, it was.

It worked pretty well for what it was, the main thing was that certain games had security chips or weird save memory, and you had to have a cart that matched it in the slot to actually play the ROM. And no on-screen menu, it used that little LCD and the up/down buttons to select a game. And it was supposed to leave those saves alone, but sometimes it didn’t.

And Zip disks and drives were universally awful. It used a standard internal drive, you’d just have to hope it didn’t kill all your disks before you figured out it failed.

It could work without being connected to an N64 for backups though, so people used them to dump kiosk demo cartridges from time to time. I remember a story about somebody stealthily dumping the DK64 demo before the game actually released.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I really want these headphones to exist, but their Kickstarter doesn't look like it's going to hit the goal, or even come close.

They would go so well with my Vans NES shoes, too.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

That's weird, it looks like the right intersection of useless gadget and tacky retro-themed tat that should bring in big crowdfund dollars.

I know, you'd figure with the SNES Classic out next week, it'd get some attention.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

GutBomb posted:

Needs more woodgrain

(I'll probably get one of these things and see if I can turn it into a Retropie or something)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

univbee posted:

Even the early Nintendo systems (Famicom and Super Famicom) tend to have somewhat loose and unreliable cartridge slots; it's not uncommon for a Super Famicom to need the ensure the cart is very slightly tilted forward or backwards (like by slipping a folded piece of paper behind it) and if nudged even slightly will lock up the game. I'm pretty sure at launch the SNES at least was far far more tolerant of this, not like when Game Center CX played Mario World in like 2005 and slightly brushing a piece of paper against the cartridge accidentally hard crashed the game. This isn't outright "it doesn't work at all" but does mean greater care is required than it used to. That said, what problems we do know about with these systems seems to be solvable for the most part.

One thing I noticed with the SNES when I was taking some apart recently is that the earlier models used a two-piece cartridge slot. There was basically a header on the board, then the slot plugged into that and got screwed down. I'd imagine that made the repair easier if the pins got bent out like the NES used to, but might have contributed to the issues with nudged cartridges.

The later model that I was tinkering with (not a 1-chip, but a 2-chip with some kind of RGB) had a 1-piece cartridge slot that was soldered directly to the board. I'm guessing that one is probably more stable if the pins are still Ok.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

What I really want to see is Symphony of the Night's script applied to the Saturn version, but as far as I can tell, it never happened.

I wonder if it was an issue with the file formats or just because it was the Saturn.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've tested a few so far, the only issue I'm having now is when I hit the console reset button it gives me a message saying no FAT system can be found after this I can no longer get the cart to boot just getting a message ssying it can't find the ED64 file

I was having the FAT system error as well, setting the save type to None seemed to fix that. It does appear to still save games, but I've really only checked it with stuff I had saves on the card for.

I just shipped off my N64 to get an UltraHDMI installed, so once I get it back I can test it out some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz2k21 posted:

I am insanely jealous how much is that costing you???

Got the kit for $160-ish off a guy on Reddit, and the install is going to be $55-ish including return shipping.

• Locked thread