Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I finished a project today!

The brightness was fine so I didn't attach the power wire on the cable adapter. It has a slight... sort of interlacing problem (that's what it looks like anyway) when things are in motion. I think there's a pot I can adjust somewhere in there so I'll give that a try some time. It's way better than stock or an AGS-001 the way it is, so I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Congrats! There is a pot on the back, either take off the back casing, or I believe you could punch a hole through the back label to actually access it though I'm not 100% sure (people may just drill holes above it that happens to go through the label). Its a set and forget type thing, so I'd just take the back off and go that route.

Yeah I was just wondering how I could get to it while it was on, considering the battery contacts are in the back casing. I guess that's why people drill holes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

No hole drilling needed. There is already a hole there; just poke a tiny screwdriver through the back label. I guess Nintendo wanted to be able to adjust the pot with the screen on as well. I remember this because back in 2001 everyone on the internet thought they discovered a hidden secret to making the screen brighter.

Thanks! I adjusted that and the interference lines cleared right up. I also went back and soldered the ribbon cable lead to get a bit more brightness out of it. Last night the brightness looked fine, but I tried playing it with more ambient light today and it was pretty dim. Now I have the fabled "perfect GBA".

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Paper Triangle posted:

Are there recommended or trustworthy brands, or is it a crapshoot even within certain brands? I don't really want to pay $5 each for two screwdrivers (need a #0 and a #1).

The "game-bit" Nintendo bits shouldn't strip easily just because of how they are designed. I'd just get the cheapest you can with those.

Triwing will strip easily, but even my cheap bit is prone to stripping the screws before the bit gets messed up. Just make sure you use a lot of downward pressure and don't over-tighten them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If you play "Suicide Is Painless" with it, it's the saddest thing in the world :smith: . It's like you can hear the smell of a Florida motel room that's had a few too many decades of cigarette smoke, dust, broken dreams, and the stench of sweaty desperation imbued into its autumn leaf pattern bed covers from the 1970s.

Sorry but I totally stole your idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDVCzuwlVk

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Just a suggestion because this is already good, but you might want to start with an instrumental version and then transition to the vocals toward the end.

I had that thought but in my quick googling I couldn't find an instrumental that matched a vocal version. I'm sure one is out there but :effort:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

univbee posted:

gently caress, 25 years ago today is when the SNES was released in North America.

Happy 25 years! :toot:

Here is younger me getting my SNES:

Super Mario World and Kart, what more do you need?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Kind of in a similar boat with cables. I got a free 30" trinitron with hdmi, component, and s-video. I see Retrovision is waiting on more SNES component cables and they're usually about $50 with shipping stuff. Is the difference from s-video to component worth it?

Probably not on a CRT. Although if you can get a set of Retrovision cables, you could probably flip them once they're out of stock again if you're not happy with the purchase.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

what i wanna know is out of the 650+ catchable pokemon, how many of them would be capable of eating one's balls

Mr. Mime ate my balls!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Considering buying a Retrovision cable for my SNES after I confirm that my TV won't get pissy about it. I am aware of scaling, but what are your guys' thoughts?

It's significantly better than composite, which is probably the best your TV can do natively. If you have the option for S-video or you're using a CRT, you won't see a huge benefit. It's cheaper than a scart cable + component box, and build quality is good. The TV compatibility is the real kicker, but if it doesn't work you can probably flip it later on for more than you paid (assuming they run out again). I think the SNES ones were going for $100+ recently.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

James Rolfe would have been like 13 when that was written, if anyone was wondering.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Found some decent deals at Goodwill today. Controller was $3.

Controller had a floppy stick but I'm stocked up on stick gear replacements now so no worries. I finally got to replace my old translucent green controller that perished in a heated game of NFL Blitz years ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Can someone shed some light on what I found in this box I bought months ago?
This looks like an IR sensor for NES controllers, branded with GO, which was the house brand of Radio Shack in Canada. I cant find anything about it or controllers that might go with it.

This has Nintendo molded into the plastic of the controller plug end and terminates in an 8 (?) pin connector. Looks like an official accessory was disassembled, the connector was probably plugged into a port on the PCB, but which accessory was it?

Here is something that mentions it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20061024193207/http://www.user.dccnet.com/wrigter/index_files/NINTENDO%20to%20%20ZX.htm

Looks like Radioshack made a NES wireless controller. It's not a hack job. Also, that date code probably means March '93.

edit: er, I was only talking about the IR receiver. I thought all the pics were related.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 11, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I spent ages finding new stuff in SMW as a kid. It had more replay value than any other SNES game I had, despite being easy to beat.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I posted a while back about the SNES HD Retrovision component cable. It didn't work on my TV with SNES, but N64 did so I was ok with the $35 kickstarter purchase. Well, I decided to roll the dice and order the Genesis cables, hoping that it would work on my Vizio despite the SNES troubles. $55 shipped with the Model 1 adapter And.... they work!

I'm honestly blown away at the quality difference here. I forgot just how bad the Genesis was over composite on HDTVs (and that is the reason I never play it anymore)

That first picture isn't out of focus, it's just that bad.

It's probably not a huge improvement over S-video, but if anyone is stuck using composite on an LCD screen, I highly recommend those cables. And still top-quality workmanship on the cables themselves.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Nice! I've said it before, but the Genesis is really good for highlighting the quality difference between composite and RGB(esque) video, not least because its composite video quality really is particularly awful even on CRTs, and there's no default S-Video support for the system. What kind of TV do you have, that the Retrovision cable works on?

It's a Vizio e480i-B2, probably the most popular TV from 3-4 years ago. SNES over component doesn't work, but modded N64 and now Genesis does, so I guess it's just something weird with the SNES timings or something.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got no difference in input lag when testing the SNES over the component cables and the 240p test suite manual test (compared to composite, that is). I also haven't noticed any additional lag in NFL Blitz on the 64 using them, and I'm pretty sensitive to lag in that game. I assume that will depend on the TV though, maybe some add lag over component that composite wouldn't have?

The thing you have to realize is the vast majority of people playing old consoles these days are using composite on an HDTV. Most people aren't dropping $350 on a framemeister so something that's 1/10 the cost that greatly improves image quality definitely fills a gap that was there before. Like, not everything has to either be "complete garbage" or "pixel-perfect".

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 21, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If there is some cheap composite scaler that will clean up the image so well that I can see the dithering in Genesis games, someone please post it. I still have several consoles that I'm stuck using composite with.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Check it. I use it somewhat regularly. It does the job. I haven't noticed much input lag at all. They have component ones too. Only thing I can't find is one that'll do s-video.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S7EYW2
Cool, thanks. Does it maintain aspect ratio?

I'll have to think about it because I currently use a component switchbox that works with both composite and component (my tv has shared inputs and auto-detects the signal). I'll probably need to get another switchbox for this, unless I could split the output of the switchbox to go to the TV and scaler at the same time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's still really tough getting through G&G with unlimited credits. I couldn't do it when I tried.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ashens just posted a video of an unreleased PS2 game he found in a thrift shop. Pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7YAC8pG84

It's almost like someone decided to make Metal Slug a 3D platformer.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Those collector's editions had physical games to go with them, though.

:confused: and the only difference between them and disc-only versions are useless tchotchkies.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

(and nobody on youtube seems to have the original video for Freewheel Burning where Rob Halford drives a Pole Position car in the wrong direction)

It's on Daily Motion though

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjvceo_judas-priest-freewheel-burning_music

I love how they just stuck a piece of paper over the "Pole Position" logo and magically turned it into a Freewheel Burnin' arcade game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stopped at Goodwill today and they had a Master System for $50:

Normally $50 is too high for a Goodwill purchase for me, but I've never actually seen a Master System in real life before. And it's in nice shape - even still has the film on the console and the stupid screw-in thumb sticks.

Unfortunately I can only play it with RF right now because the HD Retrovision cables, while they do work with the console, it doesn't play nice with my TV on the Master System. Guess I'll have to finally buy a Sega AV cable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

It may not be Snail Maze. There's at least three versions of the Master System hardware: one with nothing, one with Snail Maze, and one with Alex Kidd. wa27, turn the system on with no cartridge in and tell us what happens.

Snail maze! Had push a button combo though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have Rocketfish brand ps2 (probably marketed for ps3) component cables and they're great. Nice and long, braided cable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have tiny hands and still get cramps with the micro. I think it's mostly the shoulder buttons that are the worst. You can't push down on the corners like the SP. You need to curl your fingers around the top to press them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you have a soldering iron, it's pretty simple to rip out the RF modulator and hook up composite video directly to the RCA jack on the back. Then use a standard video cable and the headphone jack for audio.

edit: I did a small writeup on it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1720&perpage=40#post458194506

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

Yeah I would go with the former as I have the SNES component cables. I would be getting the NES and N64 worked on at the same time since they both need a mod to get RGB function.

The NES HDMI does look nice, but I prefer playing these on a crt, which I got a nice one that is the same size as my LCD tv now. I saw what it looks like in motion and it does look great, but it also loses a bit of the charm.

I posted some pics of N64 over component here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1778&perpage=40#post460556034

You'll get noticeably more vibrant colors and harder edges, but the N64 still has that ugly texture filter over everything, so don't expect miracles. Probably worth upgrading from composite, maybe not from s-video though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

I have composite right now, but honestly how bad would it be just to get a s-video and just only mod the NES? S-video is only seven bucks compared to the 55 it would cost to mail and mod the N64.

If you have a CRT, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference between s-video and Component. I'm assuming you have a CRT if you have an s-video port.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

Is the NES 'dogbone' controller worth getting? I am buying a rgb/multi-out NES 2 from Monitor Burn as it not much more then modding my NES...plus I always wanted to get a NES 2 again after having one as a kid. But I forgot it had a new style controller, which Monitorburn didn't have any.

They seem to go for 30 for real ones and 8 for knockoff.

I prefer the original design. My dogbones have slightly mushy buttons, but I'm not sure if they actually used different rubber or if I just have bad ones. In any case, I don't find them any more comfortable than the originals, even though they look like they should be.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This popped up on Youtube: It's a Parker Bros ad for their Atari games from 1982, that aired in theaters before ET. This guy has been uploading all sorts of theater commercials from high-def scans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0i0UKrazow

Is that the first instance of a video game commercial using pre-rendered images to simulate gameplay?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was dumb and clicked on a facebook trending link and got this article:
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/11/07/sega-genesis-production/

quote:

Why is a Brazilian company bringing back the old school console, you might ask. Well, because in Brazil, around 150,000 units of the SEGA Genesis still sell each day.

That's right, the Genesis sells 54 million units every year! That's more than the Xbox One and PS4 combined! :rolleyes:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

This is is pretty interesting, a guy whose day job is repairing old TVs and radios got called in to repair a malfunctioning Asteroids cabinet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKYHPU3uek

I'm excited to watch this when I get home. One of my favorite articles is the guy who detailed his repair of Computer Space. Someone posted it here last year:
https://edfries.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/fixing-computer-space-3/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

On another note entirely, I want to hear everyone's "favorite" bad port. Maybe it stands out to you for being exceedingly shite, maybe you have a big ol' soft spot for it regardless.

It's a little recent but still seven years back, but Dead Rising Wii was a real stinker. The controls were poo poo, photo taking was gone and there was something like 1/10th of the zombies the original game had. I guess it's kinda neat that they ported it to the RE4 engine or whatever, but at the same time the end result was so garbage that they shouldn't have bothered.

Double Dragon for the 2600 is a good one. It was kind of impressive. A lot of colours, still had the Double Dragon jingle and I guess it kind of looked like Double Dragon. Still played like poo poo and also I can't imagine it sold too many copies in '89.

The most recent Atari collection includes this unreleased (I guess now released) prototype of Tempest on the 2600. And... man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87jPT0rRRDo

Another vector game that ended up lovely on the 2600 was Asteroids. It actually looks and controls okay, and uses color nicely. But the movement of the asteroids was terrible. They just move vertically with very little horizontal movement, which means you can just sit in the middle and clear screen after screen.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 21, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Amazon is doing $10 off any $25 book order with the code HOLIDAYBOOK. I picked up The Art of Atari for $19. Seems like a pretty good chance to get some art books that never seem to get cheap.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monitor Burn posted:

Just order the board and make your own grey cart shell:

Yeah I don't know why people pay for the ugly shells sites sell for those things.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got that Art of Atari book this week and have been paging through it. I was surprised at how much work the author did to track down some of this artwork and their artists. I was expecting all scans of boxes/manuals, but he must have got ahold of a lot of originals because some of the scans are beautiful. And there's often a short quote from the artist about the work.

There's also some stuff that you probably won't find outside the book currently. For example, there's a quote from the artist of the 5200 version of Realsports Basketball (unreleased) where he states Atari made him change the black player on the cover to a white guy. The book has both versions of the cover, and I can't find either one online (it's different than the 2600 artwork, which is out there.)

Overall, it's a very high quality art book and I'd highly recommend it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Pokemon Go craze was great. I sold blue for $50, Gold for $40, and Heartgold for $84 (!) back in late july. A couple weeks later and the prices were low again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is that you streaming? Maybe I am misinterpreting, but it sounded like you were telling chat to be E+, which I took as family friendly, then managed to curse several times right after catching the boomerang? Seemed a bit odd is all I'm saying.

e+ is referring to the e-reader levels in Mario Advance. There is a literal e+ made out of coins on the screen at that moment.

• Locked thread