Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Caitlin posted:

I'm gonna be participating in a charity stream with Arcade Superplay Expo next weekend (21st - 23rd) with a bunch of speedrunners and WR level arcade players to benefit Save the Children.

https://www.tiltify.com/events/superplay

Hit it up if you can. :sax: A fair bit of GDQ overlap - I'll be rooming with a Tetris grandmaster :toot:

e : here's the current schedule, didn't realize they added it - https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule

Please post this again when it gets closer. I know I'll forget and I want to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You should be completely fine. Someone earlier specifically mentioned using microSD with an adapter and had no problems.

I ordered an SD2SNES and a GB Everdrive. I have a modded SNES mini and a Super GameBoy 2 coming.

I still intend to buy carts for my favorite games.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

d0s posted:

just get a flash cart

Then still throw even more money at games, because now you want all the ones you never played before.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Jupiter is the best Sailor Scout.

You misspelled Mars.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Retrogate is in Cyprus. Krikzz sells stuff directly from his store at https://www.krikzz.com. That's from the Ukraine.

And apparently shipping is SLOW out of the Ukraine.

Please let my stuff arrive soon...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Probably just the holiday delay keeping things slow.
Still waiting on my Black Friday SD2SNES. Last update was it being dispatched from Kiev on the 6th. :/

Ya, I'm in the same boat.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I agree with at least half of these.

Also, he mentioned playing connect 4 with a metronome. I need to try that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Quick question before I hit submit on a Framemeister order.

Solaris Japan bundles the Framemeister with a Euro Scart adapter. This is the one that I want for comparability with my modded US consoles, correct?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't know if anyone else's Krikzz orders are on the same boat as mine, but my Black Friday order finally arrived in the states and is moving though the post system again.

Mine too. Got the notification that it arrived in New York. Hopefully it will get here this week, since I'm off work all next week.

Ineffiable posted:

Just another yup. The only time I've seen Japanese scart required is because well, Japanese doujin dance modded pc engine. But you can just buy the cable for like ten bucks or if you message doujin dance, I think he'll do a euro one if you ask.

Thank you to you and everyone else who responded. I'll be putting in my order today, and then [im]patiently waiting for it to ship in late January.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I shared this with the "CRT Collective" folks on Facebook (read: well-meaning hoarders of CRTs), and thought you guys might dig it too. I had the best film on for the shot:

"Well, I'll be. I can remember back when all we had were wood-burnin' cats. Lord, what'll they think of next?"

Hey, I recognize this from that Facebook group.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, I'd love to see a list of what you have, at least.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mikeycp posted:

I did it Random Stranger. I bought this traintroller.

Looking forward to doing badly at the hard train games this weekend!

You know how sometimes you never knew that a thing existed, but as soon as you find out that it does exist, you immediately know that it is something you've always needed?

This is that thing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

How insane is it to start collecting arcade cabinets

I know one guy who does. I believe he has around 30 total, although the candy cabs generally get the most play. He's had more of them at various times, but only holds on to the ones he really likes.

It is really cool to walk through his basement, but you ultimately end up playing something on one of his 4 candy cabs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I drunkbought Super Mario RPG last night. Goodbye $60.

Drunk you has good tastes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I'll just end up ordering the everdrive and a power adapter from stone age gamer because it looks like shipping will be faster than krikzz and they have a 1.2a power supply for $8.

And I do plan on getting a sega cd eventually. I live in Salt Lake City and there's a game shop called The Game Changerz (where I got the genesis) that actually sells retro stuff at decent prices so I'll be back there when they get a sega cd in.

Sup fellow Utah retro goon. I'm up in Davis County.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm assuming Solaris Japan is still the best place to (pre)order the Framemeister?

Yep. Everyone else seems to be price gouging hard.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

worthless. posted:

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time but I just wanted to share with you all a photo of my new son, I love him very much.

Coincidentally today also marks the day that I've officially let this hobby get out of hand.

These two things are unrelated, right? Because a framemeister is hardly getting out of hand.

Now, if at the same time you decided, "Hey, I need to collect the complete Neo Geo AES library, all CIB," then yes, it's getting out of hand.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I just looked these up. I was expecting them to be in the $200 or so range but Jesus they cost more than $600 Canadian new :psyduck:

I received mine from Solaris a few weeks ago. They're expensive but absolutely worth it. The picture quality is exceptional, and the added lag so low that I'm personally not capable of noticing the difference.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

worthless. posted:

2. I need an RGB famicom.

I got mine today!

I don't have an adapter or an appropriate everdrive, so I can't play anything yet :(

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Damnit. Now I'm going to have to hunt down this one too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Someone please talk me into/out of buying an RGB-modded PC Engine from Monitor Burn. I understand the games for it can get bonkers expensive so I'd be better off getting a Turbo Everdrive if I got the console.

I'm trying to figure out why this is even a question. Buy it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Who is this Monitor Burn? I can't get anything by Googling

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700837

I've gotten an SNES mini and AV Famicom from him. Both have been excellent.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure if anyone ever played the NES Mario 2 from start to finish without warping. That game is insanely loving long. The original FDS Doki Doki Panic was able to save progress and actually required you to play it four times to compete it.

I did just that plenty of times. It isn't that long.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Until today I thought the change was to make it easier to insert the cart.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay, I want to pick up a PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 as my next console, but I need some advice.

I want to be able to play all (or nearly all -- screw SuperGrafx for now) the PC Engine games as easily as possible. From what I can gather, the easiest way to do this is to grab a Duo-R or Duo-RX, along with an Everdrive and an Arcade card to handle the few CD games that require it. I'd pick up an RGB-modded one from MonitorBurn, since I play through a Framemeister.

The issue is that I also like to purchase carts for my favorite games for each system, and would like to be able to play those directly. Yes, I realize that there is effectively no difference between using a HuCard and using an Everdrive, but among pointless idiosyncrasies this one is pretty tame for the retro gaming thread. These would almost certainly include a few US HuCards, which means that I need a way to be able to play games from both regions.

My options seem to be a region switch mod, a converter card, buying and RGB modding a US TG-16, or buying a PCE and having it RGB modded + rewired for US region HuCards.

I'm probably overthinking this, which is why I'm asking for opinions. Also, if anyone wants to talk me into buying a PCE + CD-ROM and interface unit, feel free. My chief concern is reliability.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 3, 2017

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thanks for the responses. I think the Duo-R with a region switch will be the best option.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Realignment with the rest of the Everdrive line using the x3/x5/x7 nomenclature. The x7 adds some hotly requested features like RTC. I don't recall reading any power issues from that random guy's blog about the GB but then again I didn't give it much credence.

He specifically noted that the GB Everdrive wouldn't have the same issues because no voltage conversion is required.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Look at this beauty... crisp

I have one in that color, and it really is pretty much perfect.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you do decide you want a wand, there's a guy in The CRT Collective group on facebook that sells them for $25 shipped.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I have a JVC H1950CG that only has S-Video. The picture quality, even with S-Video, is phenomenal. I bought it for $65 off of a facebook group last year. I probably won't ever find an RGB card for it, but there are instructions online to modify it for RGB. I also have a Sony KV-27FV310, which some people consider to be one of the best consumer sets. Given the choice, I'd take the JVC, but the difference isn't as pronounced as you would think.

There are instructions for modding Sony FS120 TVs for RGB. I feel like we're going to see more and more of these kind of mods.

To be honest, though, my CRTs sit in a closet and I do nearly all of my gaming with a Framemeister and a low-lag LCD. Turns out I'm big on pixel art rather than scanlines. I'm looking at an OSSC and an even lower-lag gaming LCD. I don't need it, but I want it. :retrogames:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I had a 27" tv fall on my daughter when she was a toddler. Fortunately, the stand was custom made and only about 10" tall, but never underestimate what kids will manage to do.

Other than a bruised hip, she was fine. But it scared me like you can't imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If it's in good shape? Hell ya.

• Locked thread