Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
What was even the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

The Merkinman posted:

It sure got you nerds angry!

I'm not angry, I'm just baffled.

EDIT: Since I'm on top of the page, I just got done recapping a Game Gear (I will never do this again) any suggesting for some must have games? I have Sonic, Sonic 2, and Sonic Chaos.

Gorgolflox fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 3, 2016

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

ConanThe3rd posted:

I could swear that there's some Nunchuck extention cords out in the wild.

There sure are

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So I got some Atari games from Shopgoodwill.com and they they packed them in the second most ridiculous way I've ever encountered. They just straight dumped them in a box, like, not even any newspaper or anything. The thing is though, these guys are covered in some kinda oil. I'm guessing some kinda machine lubricant or something similar to that but they are gross, even some of the labels seem pretty soaked in the stuff. Checking the pictures on the site and it looks like they were like this prior to them listing but they didn't make any mention of it in the description. So I guess if you're buying from them avoid the Charlotte, NC store, because those guys are goobers.

Anyways anyone have an idea on the best way to clean these carts up? I was thinking Cat Litter or Rice to try to soak up the oil but don't know if there is a better way. Anyone ever have weird gross smelly oily stuff spill all over their games before?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Are you sure you didn't order them from some kind of Cold War era military dump?

I hope it is somehow not that stuff, it sounds like a pain to clean. I put them in a box of shredded paper for now, it'll probably somehow make them worse.

Quiet Feet posted:

Still its a super pretty game and the soundtrack is beautiful. It's like a more action oriented Solar Jetman, which is another game that is balls hard and apparently only I like. There are still new/sealed copies floating around for about $20 if you're into that sort of thing.

I like Solar Jet Man, I liked flying around in the little egg.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Captain Rufus posted:

Also speaking of things looking great in screenshots Nostalgia Nerd just did a righteous video on the Master System: https://youtu.be/ssOxXKPSNmM

This was a well done and informative video, I learned a lot about the little Master System that could.

Ineffiable posted:

When you're an angsty teen, it seems cool and funny. When you grow up though, you realize it's kind of meaningless, and there's better things to do with your time. It just seems like a dumb thing to try and hate on something that some people out there like doing.

I really wish this was true

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Does anybody remember Plok? Whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever find his flag?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
it's Sonic

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Star Man posted:

Goons can't read handwriting. News at 11

Hasbro Inter7etive?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

falz posted:

So somehow this manual has all of its pages stuck together, more than just water damage, like someone spooged all over it or something. It's already pretty hosed up so I said gently caress it and steamed it. A few pages open up now but still another handful are stuck together. Any magic tricks to unglue/unspooge paper pages?

Wait, what? Is there a way to fix water damaged booklets? My small collection of CIB Saturn/Sega CD games got damaged in a flood a few years ago and I've stubbornly held on to them. Been thinking about replacing or just getting rid of some of them but Dragon Force is pretty expensive so if I could repair the booklet that'd be swell

oh dear some of these games went up in price, Mystaria, D, and, Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 are a little higher than I thought :(

why is Virtual Hydlide going for $40+???

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Kramdar posted:

Stop it. Please. What's done is done. Water ruins everything.

nnnoooooo

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I wrote off those manuals a long time ago, I was only holding on to them because I never got around to replacing them. Was thinking of replacing the cases with Jewel or DVD cases too since the Saturn/CD ones crack if you look at them wrong.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ProJared, a decently popular youtuber, did a video on it a while back and that probably drew some attention to it. Combine with a small print run and... yeah.

drat youtubers :argh:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Random Stranger posted:

Why do I do this to myself? I made my classic error (for about the tenth time) of poking through cheap auctions on eBay and just tossing small bids on anything that looked interesting thinking that "Oh, I'll get outbid on most of these and I'll be happy with the two or three I get."

And then two days later I'm paying for a crate of Saturn games.

At least in a few weeks I should have some fun...

This is why I have several hundred Atari 2600 games :ughh:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Quiet Feet posted:

Build a coffee table, or dog house.

I keep debating buying a 2600 because they're super cheap and there's some appeal to the old beepy boopy style of games but, eh, I dunno, there isn't any nostalgia factor to put me over the edge.

I'm going to build a suit out of Combat carts like the dude who did it with Mario/Duck Hunt

I actually really enjoy some of the 2600 games, not just because of nostalgia either. I find it interesting to play older games and kinda see how their design choices influenced modern games. Games like Adventure and Swordquest and how they influenced things like Zelda. Or Pitfall being an early platformer/sidescroller. Even though the 2600 version is gimped, Montezuma's Revenge being kinda an early Metroid type game is cool. Of course there is a mountain of garbage and downright silly games to sift through to get to the good ones, but even the bad ones can be entertaining. Revenge of The Beefsteak Tomatoes? Of course I want that

If you're interested you'd really be better off just emulating or buying one of the collections on PS4/XBone. The 2600 is kinda trash but I love it anyway.

Random Stranger posted:

Then don't. While the VCS did have some interesting arcade style games on them, they're readily available in other packages and emulation is pretty much perfect.

2600 games are best played by just picking a random game and going at it for ten minutes or so. They're short, arcade style games (with a few obvious exceptions). So if you don't have the desire to build a big library (which you can do on the cheap), then it's not worth getting into.

I agree, even though I MUST HAVE THE CARTS

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say Adventure really influenced Zelda. The 2600 was released in Japan but had pretty much 0 traction there. I think Zelda just grew from some of the same roots that Adventure did.

Kind of sadly, I think the most ambitious 2600 games are the ones that have aged the worst. Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty amazing when you understand the technical hurdles involved in the game but it was a brutal game to play when it was released and is worse now. The Swordquest games have very similar problems. Space Shuttle is conceptually amazing, not fun to play.

But then the weird, simple games where you do just one or two things can still play very well. Everybody loves Warlords, for example. The Space Invaders port is great.

I have gotten within ten seconds of collecting all the treasure in Pitfall and I feel like that is something I have to do before I die. But you have to do an almost perfect run to be able to pull it off. And maybe sacrifice yourself a couple of times to save a few seconds...

You're probably right, it just always felt that Zelda would be the next logical step after Adventure.

Swordquest would probably hold up a lot better if you didn't need the comics to figure out what you were doing, it was a little too ambitious for it's time. Same with Raiders, you can see a good game trying to get out but the technical limitations of the 2600 just held it back. Also wasn't there a thing with E.T. that the guy making it was trying to use some "advanced" techniques but couldn't hammer it out in the short time they gave him to make the game?

I agree that the simplistic games hold up the best, Space Invaders is ace, Yars' Revenge is a lot of fun, I still enjoy Breakout, and Vanguard was a game I forgot about but ended up enjoying a lot more than I thought I would.

Good luck with Pitfall, love it, but I've always been kinda bad at it.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Xenomrph posted:

I have a 2600 because I inherited it from my father, he spent a good amount of money on his when he bought it back when it was new, and went all out on a bunch of peripherals and poo poo.

I've contemplated "upgrading" to a 7800 because it's backwards compatible with the 2800 and 5200 library but I've got too much sentimentality towards the one I got from my dad. :kiddo:

While the 7800 is backwards compatible with the 2600, it is not with the 5200. The 5200 is massive and the carts are too, they wouldn't even fit into a 7800. i wish it was though

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I like that the giant ant roars like a dinosaur

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

fishmech posted:

Of course, that might all collapse when someone figures out a good way to make an "Amiibo emulator" device that can properly imitate all the different RFID things in each Amiibo, to use with old Wii Us and stuff...

This already exists, Gamestop sells them.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Is the Sega Trio still the best go to for an all-in-one Genesis/CD/32x power adapter?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

falz posted:

It's the only one I'm aware of. I got mine a few years ago, I understand that it went up a lot in price since then so unsure if worth the $.

Edit: Id love to do some large modular DC power system for all sorts of consoles, I started working on a spreadsheet of specs a few years ago but as of yet it hasn't gone further.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eebnSYFixxxPeojx8rjmKHl6TZgsvYiiBvAUoMrE__I/

I could have swore someone in the last thread made a power strip for all of their consoles and had a switch for each console they could just flip to power them on.

Alucardd posted:

An alternative is the RetroDC which can also be used almost as a universal adapter as well. He only makes them in preorder batches which the next one is in August:
http://retrodcpowered.com/?i=1

I only got mine last week but it works great so far for my Gen 1+CD 2 combo.

I was considering adding extension cables and whatnot to connect more of my consoles.

This is awesome, thanks! Sucks it's not available until August but since the Sega Trio is perpetually out of stock I guess I'll have to wait.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

falz posted:

Maybe, but that would likely be a huge power strip with a billion wall warts, vs one big wall wart to fan out to their consoles.

It was pretty big but it was all hardwired in, so no wall warts or anything like that. I wish I could remember who posted it because I always thought it was a neat idea.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Can I play Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter on the PS4 Ryan?!? HUH? CAN I?

Mak0rz posted:

A better way to phrase that would be "is there any reason to revisit SMB 1 or 2 now that we have All Stars," in which case the answer is yes because All Stars broke some poo poo and lost some of its original charm in the upgrades so I rescind my original statement. :eng99:

I haven't played the NES SMB 1, 2, or 3 in so long that I'd probably be terrible at them. I'm so used to All-Stars since I've just been playing that version since 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Takoluka posted:

Is there a reasonable method of getting some HD Retrovision SFC cables, or do I need to invest in SCART setups?

They show as in stock on their website, so order from there?

• Locked thread