Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Posting a reminder to myself to do a mega post on Japanese PC emulation because that's a brick wall to dive into.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Breaking news, new retro thread: the FDS Dirty Pair game is not very good!

Yes, but Totally-Original-Property-Starring-Two-Tough-Anime-Babes-In-Sci-Fi-Antics-Not-At-All-Inspired-By-Dirty-Pair game Trouble Shooter on Genesis is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

I was going to see about buying another CRT, as while I like the one I have...it only has RF so it won't ever have that amazing picture. But all the Goodwills and Savation Army's near my house got rid of all their CRTs. That blows since I rather avoid Craiglist at all cost.

I'm in the same boat. Try Christian thrift shops and antique stores, I'm sure they have a few CRTs they're dying to offload.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You guys are saying streaming makes games look bad, I'm saying it makes them look like how I played them on a 12" CRT with RF in and I won't have it any other way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've been saying I wanted to see SNES games on the Vita's OLED screen for years. I can't wait to try this tonight.

Is the general consensus that it's a good idea to update the Vita to the newest firmware, and then perform this trick? Is there going to be some discovery that older firmwares are "better" for doing things like unlocking the full CPU kind of like the new3DS hacks?

As far as I know this hack only works on 3.60 which is the current version so update now before Sony pumps out another firmware.

Although they probably won't, they're seriously done with Vita. 3.6 came out four months ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (for the express purpose of playing import games and absolutely nothing academically related)
This is a work in progress! Please bear with me!!

If you're reading this thread you're probably interested in Japanese video games. The 80s and 90s were a huge boom economically for the country which saw the release of thousands of games from any company that remotely had a stake in electronics or communication. To the average Westerner it's a wonderland of undiscovered classics and all the attempts to document them have barely scratched the surface.

Look at all these cool looking games! Wouldn't you like to enjoy and sort-of comprehend them???

Unfortunately the language barrier is a solid brick wall. Arcade based games require little language skills but the deeper you get into console games the more you'll have to figure out how to navigate a basic menu or discern the location of the next dungeon. But fear not! With a couple weeks of practice you can comfortably make your way through all but the most text heavy games.

In four parts I will teach you the kana, enough Kanji to navigate a typical adventure game, how to look up Japanese you don't know, and how to pick apart sentences for their basic meaning. I'm not going in-depth here, a lot of information will be simplified, my terminology is probably wrong in most cases, and your teacher will hate me as I'm going to be teaching a lot of bad habits. But if you're tired of deleting your saves because you don't know the difference between いい and いいえ , then read on.

Part 1: The Basics

Japanese has two syllabic scripts called hiragana and katakana, together called the kana. The kana is the written form of the 46 sounds used in Japanese. Hiragana is primarily used for native Japanese words while katakana is used for loan words and sometimes emphasis like capital letters are used in English.

Kanji are logographic characters based on Chinese. They're the big fancy characters you tremble at. Japanese students are expected to learn 2100+ by adulthood. Thankfully you'll see certain words and phrases used almost exclusively in writing to make things simple for readers.

Character meaning "beauty"

I should give a passing mention to romaji which are Latin characters e.g. what you're reading right now. You won't see them often. If you did we would have no need for this guide, right?

Learning the Kana

Among old video games low resolution makes it difficult to portray all but the simplest kanji. Because it forms the literal building blocks of Japanese, and how space saving it is in old games, you'll have to become familiar with the kana. Hiragana is the most common but I've seen a few games written in katakana exclusively.

Square's Tom Sawyer is not just racist, it's written completely in hiragana

The kana is based around vowel sounds either by themselves or with consonant pairs e.g. ka + n + to + u = Kantou. The vowels never change sounds and you put equal stress on all syllables. Once you learn the correct vowel pronunciation you can say any word in Japanese. For example the "ta" in katana always sounds the same as the "ta" in tantou. None of the awful trickery that comes with English here.

Vowel Sounds

A - pronounced "ah" as in your dentist saying "open wide, ahhhhh"
I - pronounced like a long E as in "easy."
U - pronounced "ooh" as in "goo"
E - pronounced short e as in "meth" or Bart and Lisa saying "meh."
O - pronounced long O as in "Cheerios"

The consonant combinations are, in dictionary order: k, s, t, n, h, m, y, r, w. Si, ti, tu, and hu are written and pronounced shi, chi, tsu, and fu. Fu is pronounced without your teeth touching your lips making it sound like an airy "who" but nobody will flog you for doing a hard F. Wo is pronounced like O and exclusively used as a particle in sentences. R is sounded by tapping your tongue against the roof of your mouth, almost making a hard D sound. If you played Shenmue did you find it weird how some characters call Ryo "Dio?" Well, that's why. Channel your inner Schnitzel and say "rada rada rada" a lot to train your tongue.

Lastly there's N by itself which is generally pronounced really nasally in the back of your through like nn or nng unless it precedes a consonant that requires a closed mouth to say e.g. m, p, b. It's why Famicom is spelled that way even though it's pronounced Famicon; it's short for Family Computer (konpyuuta but the N makes an M sound). Don't worry about it, nobody is judging you on this.

K, s, t, and h are unvoiced consonants which basically means your vocal chords don't vibrate when you say them. When you see the quotation looking symbol ゛it changes the sound to a voiced consonant. K, s, t, h become g, z, d, b respectively. Handakuten is a little circle ゜like the degrees symbol which changes h to p.

Youon are consonants contracted with ya, yu, yo. They appear as smaller kana next to the consonant for example ki plus small ya equals きゃ (kya).

Finally, tsu can be used as a double consonant called sokuon. you'll see it as a smaller version of itself and it "doubles" the consonant that comes after it. For example "CHUG CHUG CHUG!!" is いっき (ikki).

Something exclusive to katakana is the use of ー to extend vowels and occasionally as an exclamation or added emphasis. So when you see something like ハート (ha-to) it's spelled haato. An extended O ends up as a U for example オ-ドン (o-don) is oudon, not oodon. It's something we don't often see in Romanization of Japanese because of the different style guides used. I will write everything as it sounds. For example we commonly write Tokyo or more correctly Tōkyō but a direct transliteration would be Toukyou. If you listen to a native speaker you can make out the long vowel sounds.

Putting the Kana in Practice

Learning the kana is simple. Most people I know pick it up in a weekend or two. You'll know how to pronounce the language as well as read its most common script. A lot of older games rely heavily on the kana due to resolution and memory limitations. Some modern games (not enough I say) use furigana which puts hiragana above the kanji. So if you know your kana you can at least sound out an entire Level-5 or Legend of Zelda game!

Furigana is super helpful... when a game supports it

In the next part I'll briefly discuss kanji (and why learning it is such bullshit) and then guide you through some important ones that appear often in games. By the end of Part 2 you'll know enough kanji to do all the verb commands in Maniac Mansion and text input in Zork as well as track the date and time with the help of Animal Crossing.

Further Reading
Learn Hiragana
Learn Katakana

Practice

Transliterate the following screenshots

初級 (elementary level)

miro, kike, tore, tabero, tatake
Pya-!
daichan ga iru
shiro

中級 (intermediate level)

Do this top to bottom, right to left
miru, toru, hanasu, tsukau, watasu, idou, hitokaeru, mochimono

You're probably starting to notice some similar words. I'll actually go into those in the next portion.

上級 (advanced level)

sono jiken ga okotta basho ha aru yamani aru shizuka de heiwa na doubutsu no mura datta

I bet you're starting to pick out some words like jiken, doubutsu, and mura. That's good, reading is how you learn!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

If the path to play your cartoon video games leads to new knowledge then it is a path well trodden. Shiawase.

e: I totally agree with you. Don't learn a language to play video games, you will burn out eventually. You need a higher reason than that, something within to guide you to your goal and "I want to watch my favorite anime without the subtitles" isn't it.

But hobbies are a catalyst to deeper learning. Interest turns into study. If video games are that kick start then great.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Little Mac posted:

I've been thinking about starting a collection of a system no one wants. Is N64 stuff difficult to collect?

N64 games are common, especially cart only. Prices are higher than they used to be but have more or less stabilized. You'll pay $50-100 for Mario Party and Conker's Bad Fur Day, less than $30 for pretty much everything else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flyboi posted:

I've never tried learning Japanese but I've played so many imports that I can recognize commands and navigate most menus just fine. It's decent enough that I can play most anything that isn't a RPG so :shepface:

Honestly unless you care about the story and have played enough games you can blindly figure out tons of Japanese games. Hell I did play through a Korean rpg on my PSP back in the day because there wasn't anything else to play on it.

I hope it was Astonishia Story. A part of me misses the day when a garbage basement game could get a physical release but I also struggled through that game (in English!) because it was a thing on PSP.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody know the name of the song that plays at the beginning of Zoo Keeper? It's really common in old cartoons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cream posted:

I'm sure it's taken from this classic. Speed it up to the max and you'll recognise it after the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZANKFxrcKU

Oh yes, the Banjo Kazooie motif.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I blame the 64DD. It was supposed to be flipped out in a year and then that dumb thing crashed and burned. Majora's Mask was a similar casualty where you have this incredibly repetitive game built on re-used assets that demands you to play its same four levels over and over again. I really want to like Majora, and maybe when I play the 3DS version in 10 years it'll be the light switch flipping on, but god drat does that game feel cheap.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 4, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I finally played through Majora's last year and wound up thinking, "Nice idea with absolutely terrible implementation." The game actively punishes you for trying to figure things out, exploring, and experimenting.

Every time you restart the clock I had to make a conscious effort not to get too close to that deku leaf or else WAIT! WAIT! HANG ON! ***UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENE OF BUSINESS SCRUB***

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (to guide you through the mountain of import games)
Modifying my curriculum a little. Memorizing all the commands in Zork is ridiculous for beginners so instead I'll be focusing on directions which is far more important. Plus there's actually a Japanese version of Zork 1 on PlayStation, that's news to me.

Part 1: Kana

Part 2: Kanji

Here it is, the roadblock to every aspiring linguist. Where the kana can be learned in a weekend, kanji will take years. Some 2,000+ is expected after high school and that doesn't include the special readings exclusively used for names.

Kanji have multiple meanings based on their usage or context. They have a traditional Chinese meaning, which could be something different when used as a verb or noun, and mean something else when compounded with other kanji. For example 表 is the kanji for "exterior/surface" but when used as a verb in 表す it means "to represent/express". Kanji have sound readings (onyomi) based on Chinese and their Japanese phonetic readings (kunyomi). Usually compound words and nouns use onyomi readings and adjectives and verbs use kunyomi but many exceptions exist. For example 物 means "thing" and uses the kunyomi reading もの (mono). But 生物 means "living thing" and uses the onyomi ぶつ (butsu).

Here's a fun example of how complex kanji can get. Brightness and bright share the same kanji 明 but the noun is pronounced めい (mei) and the adjective あか (aka). Nouns by themselves usually use onyomi while adjectives use the kunyomi reading although this isn't always true either because as mentioned above the noun for "thing" is kunyomi. 日 "day" is usually にち (nichi), but 明日 "tomorrow" is あした (ashita). 星 star's onyomi is normally セイ (sei) but sometimes ショウ (shou), but how come 明星 Venus ends up みょうじょう (myoujyou)? This is called rendaku and it's the devil. I guess myoushou results in a lot of tongue twisters so people started voicing their consonants. You'll see rendaku often as is the case with 人々 "everybody." It's ひとびと (hitobito) and not ひとひと (hitohito).

How Can I Make Kanji Work For Me?

You're not going to learn kanji overnight but we can at least memorize the most common stuff. Although Japanese has its fair share of synonyms you're going to see some vocabulary more than others because it's easy for everyone to recognize instantly. For example 別れる and 分かれる both mean "to separate" and are pronounced exactly the same. But 99% of the time you'll only see 分 used in the context of the verb "to understand" 分かる (wakaru) instead. But that kanji is also used for minute because the Chinese meaning is "part." I apologize in advance.

Because Japanese is a "sound poor" language this leads to all the punny jokes you've probably seen. Hey, here's a good one! An American woman asks a Japanese man for directions. She replies "thank you" in her best accent サンキュー (sankyuu). The man exclaims "I didn't know you were pregnant!"

Get it? Because "thank you" in English sounds like "maternity leave" in Japanese さんきゅう (sankyuu). Huh? Anybody??

りーん
りーん

...continuing on

Beginner: Directions

I'm going to put the romaji in spoilers. Try your best to read the hiragana.

Let's start off easy with cardinal directions. They use the kunyomi readings.

北 きた kita - north

東 ひがし higashi - east

南 みなみ minami - south

西 にし nishi - west

Intercardinal directions are a little more difficult because they use onyomi instead of the kunyomi. Compound words (more than one kanji) usually use onyomi.

北東 ほくとう hokutou - northeast

南東 なんとう (nantou) - southeast

南西 なんせい (nansei) - southwest

北西 ほくせい (hokusei) - northwest

Since adventure games require moving up and down let's look at those as well.

上 うえ ue - above/up

下 した shita - below/down

What direction am I facing? Don't cheat!

Practice: Copy and paste the kanji from above to answer these. Read them out loud as you do it.

What are the directions to get through the Lost Woods in the first Legend of Zelda?

北 西 南 西

Referencing this map of Zork, what's the fastest way from the round room to the Egyptian room?

南東 東 下 南 東

Intermediate: Learning Your Verbs Through SCUMM

Verbs are kanji with a hiragana ender which means they'll largely use kunyomi readings. Verbs are classified as either -ru verbs or -u verbs based on the sound they make. You don't need to know more than that until you start conjugating sentences. For now remember: if a word ends in an "u" sound then it's likely a verb.

Maniac Mansion is a perfect place to dive into verbs. You'll see this vocabulary in almost every Japanese adventure game (although NES will tend to use hiragana so you'll have to memorize the kanji on your own, sorry). To start off easy, why don't we look at the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on Famicom?

From left to right, top to bottom:

開ける あける akeru - to unlock/open
押す おす osu - to push
仲間 なかま nakama - Colleague. Used to change characters
行く いく iku - to move
閉める しめる shimeru - to shut/close
引く ひく hiku - to pull
使う つかう tsukau - to use
読む よむ yomu - to read
渡す わたす watasu - to give
取る とる toru - to take
点ける つける tsukeru - to switch on
消す けす kesu - to turn off power

Practice: Boot up the Japanese Maniac Mansion in an emulator or something and play it! Use the above list as reference and say out loud the verbs as you select them. Use an English FAQ to help solve a puzzle or two by referencing the Japanese verbs with the English verbs. For a real challenge beat the game. It's maybe an hour with a guide.

Advanced: Counting, Time, and Dates

The calendar format for dates is "day: month: year" while the full international (e.g. newspaper) format is "year: month: day: time [sometimes Gregorian day]." The numbers are almost always written in Arabic numerals but we should still learn how to pronounce the numbers in Japanese. Let's start with the basics of counting the days on a calendar, 1-31.

一 いち ichi - one
二 に ni - two
三 さん san - three
四 し/よん shi or yon - four
五 ご go - five
六 ろく roku - six
七 しち/なな shichi or nana - seven
八 はち hachi - eight
九 きゅう/く kyuu or ku - nine
十 じゅう jyuu - ten

4 and 7 have huge exceptions because shi sounds like "death" and shichi "certain death." Generally speaking, anything beyond ten uses yon and nana instead of shi and shichi. Nine can also be pronounced ku and this seems to be a dialect thing. Kyuu is the most common with few exceptions.

Going higher than ten involves combining a number in the ones place with the tens place. So 20 is にじゅう (nijyuu) and thirty one is さんじゅういち (sanjyuuichi).

The kanji for dates and their onyomi

日 にち nichi - day of the month
月 げつ getsu - month
年 ねん nen - year

However, when counting the months of the year it's pronounced がつ (gatsu). If somebody asks you what month is August you would say はちがつ (hachigatsu, 8th month) and not hachigetsu.

Annoyingly, counting days changes the readings. Day becomes か (ka) and the numbers precede it. You should know the kanji by now so let's focus on the readings.

ついたち (tsuitachi) first day
ふつか futsuka second day
みっか mitsuka third day
よっか yokka fourth day
いつか itsuka fifth day
むいか muika sixth day
ようか youka seventh day
なのか nanoka eighth day
ここのか kokonoka ninth day
とおか tooka tenth day

Once you get into the teens it goes back to onyomi readings. For example 13th day jyuusannichi. Howeveeeeeeer we have a boatload of exceptions because language hates you. Remember that people don't like saying shi for four so the number four retains it's kunyomi. E.g. the twenty-fourth day will be nijyuuyokka. Seven oddly becomes shichi so seventeenth-day is jyuushichinichi. Nine becomes ku when counting days so twenty-ninth day is nijyuukunichi.

Moving on to Gregorian days. 曜日 ようび (youbi) means "day of the week." The kanji for day uses kunyomi but because of our good friend rendaku you voice the consonant. The seven kanji have a unique meaning and you should memorize them because they're very common. If you want to be formal you can add 曜日 but just the onyomi can suffice as an abbreviation if people understand your context. You'll see the abbreviation in calendars and planners but not newspapers.

月 げつ getsu - Monday (moon)
火 か ka - Tuesday (fire)
水 すい sui - Wednesday (water)
木 もく moku - Thursday (tree)
金 きん kin - Friday (gold)
土 ど do - Saturday (earth)
日 にち nichi - Sunday (sun)

Finally, let's count time.

時 じ ji - Hour counter. o'clock.
分 ふん fun - Minute counter.

Get ready for more exceptions! The 4th hour is shortened to yoji. 7 and 9 use their alternate reading. For minutes you use the full alternate reading for 4, 7, and 9. 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 get handakuten'd where the fun becomes pun e.g. yonpun is 4 minutes. Furthermore 1, 6, 8, and 10 get shortened to double consonants. E.g. 1 minute is ippun, not ichipun.

Whew, that's a lot of stuff.

Romaji is common with dates, probably because news is read by a wide variety of people. But you should still know what the kanji mean because they crop up often. What day is it in this screenshot?

Practice: Transliterate today's full date including the time (abbreviate the year since I didn't teach you thousands). What's your favorite day of the week and your least favorite?

As of this writing it's yokka hachigatsu jyuurokunen. The time is shichiji jyuuyonpun. I love kinyoubi and hate getsuyoubi!

In Part 3 we're diving into the deep end. Learn how to reference and look up Japanese you don't know using dictionaries. Use character recognition programs to cut and paste Japanese text from screenshots. Find out how to translate things you don't know really quickly!

Further Reading
Numbers and Counting

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can't talk about Sega without bringing up the objectively best game that's also super cheap: Rocket Knight Adventures.

Other cheap off-the-beaten-path games: Gauntlet 4 (the best Gauntlet), Herzog Zwei, Super Turrican, Elemental Master, General Chaos, and Starflight.

Really you can't go wrong with anything from Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So in really strange news that I somehow missed for 4 months, Suda51 is localizing an HD remaster of Grasshopper's first game The Silver Case. It's a visual novel that was certainly eye catching in 1999 in an era where Chunsoft dominated the market with really samey looking sound novels. I don't know how it would be received now but it's nice seeing more of his work reaching a wider audience.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

What's a good Windows emulator for Jade Cocoon?

PCSX-R freezes when hitting New Game on the title screen.
mednafen gives a black screen.
retroarch with both psx mednafen cores gives a black screen.
ePSXe crashes.

I'll have to try it when I get home but which version of Windows and can you play other games in ePSXe? When moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 it completely broke ePSXe until I set the clockspeed from something like 5x (which is the default) to 1x.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Windows 10, sure enough.

Play with the clockspeed in the options. When I get home I'll tell you my settings. Took me a fresh download and an hour of messing around after Windows 10 broke it.

Literally The Worst posted:

hey losers, around seven or eight est im going to fire up the stream and play some NES games badly and get mad at them

i will be taking requests, so if there's something you want to see me fail at, let me know

Adventure Island :getin:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's impossible to suck at Yoshi's Island I need to hop in this stream and tell you to stop failing at life.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would rather pay for a Plok soundtrack, top 5 snes music.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was lovely doubling the price but first come first serve is expected with classified ads and whoever bought it probably offered more money to do so.

As for golf games the GBA Mario Golf will always be my favorite and I wish Sports RPGs were more of a thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they;re not attempting to profit from it nor to compete directly with an upcoming product I doubt Nintendo is going to C&D it.

People wring their hands over C&Ds but companies rarely want to 'poo poo on fans' unless said fans are trying to turn of a profit off it or exploit something damaging.

(That said M2R is good enough I feel bad the dude can't turn of a profit on it. I'd put it above Zero Mission in terms of fun to play.)

It's out in the same month as another Metroid so really all it needs is a lawyer bored enough to draft up a one page document and they have a good enough reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, like how many "OOT2d" projects started and fizzled in that time?

The big one that you've probably heard about got shut down because the dude was profiting off a terrible demo.

univbee posted:

They sent a legal notice to a Kickstarter which suspended the campaign, but there was a clear list of specific things Nintendo had a problem with. Said things were addressed, KS campaign resumed and finished I think something like 2 weeks later?

A few years ago the translator of Earthbound wanted to write a book about his time on that project. He asked Nintendo for their blessing and they said no.

There are protections for works of non-fiction but all it takes is a screenshot or some other intellectual property to show up for rights holder to make a case. Most people don't have the time or money to fight it which is why I wish video games had the equivalent of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saturn controller is def my favorite "classic" controller. It's like a larger, better feeling SNES controller and I wish the Genesis came with the 6-button style out of the gate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

It's interesting that people are angry at Nintendo for doing the thing most other publishers take heat for failing to do: Recognize that old properties have value. There's definitely a lot wrong with copyright law in its current form, but I can't really fault a company for taking actions necessitated by the existing system. Yeah, they're being super douchey about it, and they deserve to take their lumps for it. Still, I'd rather see them treat their archives as something with potential value and worth protection than simply shrugging and moving along like the Irems and Konamis of the world.

Yet somehow Fangamer is still in business selling Mother 3 walkthroughs based on a fan translation. Nintendo isn't profiting off Mother so anyone can freely sell their vaguely themed Earthbound junk with impunity.

That Metroid game could probably be re-released in an official format literally a year from this date and live on unnoticed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silentq15 posted:

Wow never realized they had these scans buried in emuparadise's menus lol.

Grab all the strategy guides too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Remind me again, what's the big deal about yfold seals? Harder to fake, looks better on a sealed copy?

I only know about America but factory shrink games are sealed with a single solid sheet of plastic that's cut and folded along the top and bottom forming a y-shaped seal on both edges. It's nearly impossible to replicate by hand since it's a machine doing it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC. SNES and NES games didn't always use this method. They typically used a cheaper heat press and seal method which you can easily do at home and the equipment for it is relatively cheap. Sony used the cellophane fold method pretty much right from the start since their packaging was standard CD and DVD cases (once they got past the long box, of course).

Yes, I should specify that the folding method is basically industry standard for disc based media including Nintendo DS, PSP, and Vita. All the old cardboard box stuff has either a vertical or horizontal seam running down the middle of the back. Sometimes there are small holes which are ventilation holes and a good indicator of a legit copy because they're perfectly round and taught, not frayed like if you tore into plastic with a knife or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nintendo was so inspired that 12 years later they would do the same

"this is charles martinet the voice of mario and I'm not under duress!"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm having a weird sensation playing Secret of Mana on the Vita. It's freaking me out how tiny the game's view window is. The camera doesn't move until you're a couple pixels away from the edge of the screen. I thought this was an emulator issue but nope, this is how the game was designed.

I don't know why I'm experiencing this awkward feeling now when I'm totally familiar with the game on other platforms. Maybe it's the fact I'm playing it in its natural aspect ratio on the Vita's widescreen and the pure black borders of the OLED are tricking my eyes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Play Doom on your Life Alert wrist device.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help, I'm shinesparking and I can't get up!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjy7uUn7fc&t=120s

We really need a Smash Bros Game of all the weird original characters of the 90s. Bubsy, James Pond, Alfred Chicken, Aero the Acrobat, Ardy Lightfoot, Glover, uh Bug from Bug, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Awesome Possum, Punky Skunk, Rocky Rodent, Wild Woody, Titus Fox, Buck Bumble, final boss Gex, secret final boss Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

This feels like one of those things where you could buy a month and rip roms out. But I suppose that would be :filez:

Like if I could just give them 5 bucks for a non-DRMed to hell exe file I would, wtf.

If it's the same levels in Disc Station then I guess you could download those and rip/compile them from there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, the PCE-CD got in that game so early that I don't think the Play Station would've made a huge impact. Maybe it would've been a hit in Japan with visual novels and anime licensed games but we would've seen the same general shovelware in the West.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do want to see the alternate world where cartridges were the primary delivery medium with CDs being enhancements with disc speeds being fast enough that you didn't get *new scene, disc drive audibly spins up, music kicks in 10 seconds later*

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Ugh. I got to see what a Sega Saturn looks like on a PVM and now I'm seriously considering one even though I have a Framemeister :emo:

Seriously it looked like what I'd imagine a Sega Saturn emulator would look like with a good graphics card. How does it do such magic?

I could only play Saturn on a CRT. Those games relied heavily on dithering. Watching Game Sack, which captures footage from a Framemeister, all their Saturn footage looks wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

The oldest post I could find on rec.games.video.nintendo...from 4/20/1993.

Kids born 3 years after this post was made can now drink legally.

And in commemoration of that day they can fly through the black hole as god intended :350:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

gamefan was the worst about this, which was weird because they were the best at everything else, made all the other mags look like pleb poo poo

Gamefan weren't trying to be journalists, they were someone's tumblr in the 90s complete with hundreds of images horribly aligned on a page, obnoxious color schemes, and of course the random racist diatribe.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gamefan is responsible for turning me into a weeb. The first issue I read (has Turok on the cover) ends with a review of Plastic Little (a really bad ecchi film) and Perfect Blue (you know, the not-so-secret inspiration for Academy Award winner Black Swan). In the same issue they have a review of a Ranma 1/2 fighter and this huge double-page spread of Wild Arms which got me SUPER PUMPED.

I think one of their later issues had the entire ending of Final Fantasy in screencaps because why the hell not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PlayStation Magazine (PSM) which was technically an unofficial magazine until 2007 when it became officially official, was consistently good throughout at least the PS2 era. They did a lot of weird articles, hired indie comic book artists to do pinups and stuff, and Joe Mad's new Battlechasers RPG is basically every idea written down in a "our dream RPG" article from the magazine.

e: They also made the news with their infamous nude female lead game that was a bunch of doctored Tomb Raider screenshots.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 16, 2016

• Locked thread